Frame TV - Using your own photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wricha

Frame TV - Using your own photos

Post by Wricha »

Bought a frame TV by Samsung absolutely think its great. How does one take their photos and put it on TV properly. I get the photos loaded ok, but they do not fit the screen with out a lot of matting. How do you adjust the photos to fit screen?
lthenderson

Re: Frame TV - Using your own photos

Post by lthenderson »

Not familiar with that exact television but in past televisions I have owned, there are settings that will allow you to stretch or fit the picture to the screen so that no matting appears. This isn't very desirable in my opinion so I took the time to use a photo editor and to trim all my pictures to the same format size as the television so that they show up in their entirety, have no matting and aren't distorted.

[Edited to add that they also need to be of proper resolution to start with to fill up the screen or you end up with matting on all four sides.]
Topic Author
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Thank you
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Be sure the pictures of good quality and are set to the exact ratio of 16:9 or 3840 x 2160 pixels, iirc. Photoshop or other photo editor will be able to do this.
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

I second Bob with the ratio of 3840 x 2160. We have a 65 inch Frame from 2019 and we too discovered that our photos required a matte on the display until I edited them to 3840 x 2160. Then they would be displayed edge to edge.

We opted not to subscribe to the monthly art gallery so I have become pretty talented at editing photos or resizing/cropping. There are a lot of free online collections too!

I use Microsoft PictureIt from windows Xp...yes it's crazy old but it's what I learned on and still use. I am not able to recommend a more modern program. I googled Microsoft PictureIt and this came up; https://microsoft-picture-it.software.informer.com/
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

For those of you who own Frame TVs, I have a question: When the art is displayed, is there any real hope of mistaking the TV for a framed piece of art, or do you always know it's actually a television? Our new house has a space over the fireplace which is clearly meant for a TV but we dislike how a TV can dominate a room even when it's not turned on. In theory, the Frame TV could solve our problem, but the relative brightness of the image on display (in contrast to the ambient light in the room) would have to be calibrated quite precisely to work effectively.
spth

Post by spth »

The light automatically adjusts. You’ll need a nice frame and a way to hide the wire and control box.
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

Strummer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:52 am For those of you who own Frame TVs, I have a question: When the art is displayed, is there any real hope of mistaking the TV for a framed piece of art, or do you always know it's actually a television? Our new house has a space over the fireplace which is clearly meant for a TV but we dislike how a TV can dominate a room even when it's not turned on. In theory, the Frame TV could solve our problem, but the relative brightness of the image on display (in contrast to the ambient light in the room) would have to be calibrated quite precisely to work effectively.
We have had several folks and families over and they have mistaken it for art! We have a perfect spot in our great room and we didn't want just a large black tv on the wall.

We did opt for the light wood frame - this blends with our decor. The Frame TV comes with a single cord, we opted to let this dangle but it is translucent material that blends in nicely. Our TV is above a large credenza so there is decor below it to hide the single cable as well.

Now in the evening before the tv automatically shuts off it obviously has a soft glow so yes people would notice if all the lights were out. The times when it gets mistaken for the tv are during the day when natural light is coming through the windows. It also depends on what type of media you display. If you choose to display something where you can see brush strokes it is more convincing vs say text or digitally created media.

And as you mentioned we did play around with the tv lighting settings. Overall we have been real pleased.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

Drewman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:51 am We have had several folks and families over and they have mistaken it for art! We have a perfect spot in our great room and we didn't want just a large black tv on the wall.
Thanks for the info! That's helpful. We looked at one in Costco and they must not have had the ambient light set appropriately. Maybe we'll try one out at our place. There are times it would be nice to have a TV in our great room but we definitely don't want a big black rectangle on the wall when we're not using it.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

It fools some people, but not all.

If you buy one, be sure to buy one of the newer 2022 models which Samsung announced at CES have a newer, different matte finish, making the art mode more convincing. If there is really a difference, expect 2021 and earlier models to go on sale. But if you are really seeking the no tv look, and are going to get one of these, go for the 2022.

For the OP, this post by Samsung gives the minimum image resolution:
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-a ... scription/
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Strummer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:52 am For those of you who own Frame TVs, I have a question: When the art is displayed, is there any real hope of mistaking the TV for a framed piece of art, or do you always know it's actually a television? Our new house has a space over the fireplace which is clearly meant for a TV but we dislike how a TV can dominate a room even when it's not turned on. In theory, the Frame TV could solve our problem, but the relative brightness of the image on display (in contrast to the ambient light in the room) would have to be calibrated quite precisely to work effectively.
We solved the cord dilemma by cutting in an insert power receptacle made for flush mounted televisions to allow enough room to plug it in and not have anything dangling below. It is hard wired to an outlet below within the stud wall cavity. It also allows you to run peripheral cabling like coax and HDMI from the back of the television to a jack down near the power outlet so you can have it hooked to traditional cable boxes.