Cell phone providers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dred pirate

Cell phone providers?

Post by dred pirate »

Looking to see if I can save a buck - I know $5-10 a month isn't much, but I hate spending more for something I don't need to.
A few years ago we changed from Verizon to Boost - we know have two lines and pay $50 a month essentially for unlimited calls,text, and data.
We were going to change to Mint- my wife had a jacked up screen on an old phone so figured we would try it. Long story short, I got the phone and it wouldn't turn - basically it was a paperweight. I called and asked for a refund/replacement. They processed it and then told me since I waited 7 days from receipt of the phone, it was outside of the return policy. Which was super annoying that short of time frame. After about 7 phone calls, 10 email, and finally reaching out via twitter over a 3 week period - they agreed to refund me my money ($800 for phone and a year service). SO ya - I don't want to go back to them (nor will my wife let me!)

So - who do you use that could save me some $$? Spectrum has $30 a month plans, but you have to have their cable, which we don't. I am not overly concerned about service area as we are in civilization most of the time, and if we aren't - we don't want to be bothered anyway. International callings is a non-issue as well

edit - I do want a plan that is compatible with iphones - I don't need anything new and modern, we have older refurbished phones. Close to time to replace them, but don't have to - bringing ours over would be first choice, but if we need to buy a new(to us) phone - it isn't a deal breaker, it just would push our timeline back.

Cheers,
DP
Topic Author
dred pirate

Re: Cell phone providers?

Post by dred pirate »

Has anyone used Tello? uses the same t-mobile network as boost (which works for me).

Looks like I can get a plan that works for me for $19 a month (unlimited call and text and 4GB of data - unlimited 2 g data after that)
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

A number of us (about 6) in our family use Republic Wireless. My plan is $20/month for 1gb of data, unlimited talk and text (I pay by year it's $200) with only service in the USA. Full disclosure, one of us changed to another vendor because of some issues. Most of us have had RW for 5+ years. RW has been bought by Dish, we'll see how it goes...
Afty

Post by Afty »

I recently switched to Visible ($25/mo unlimited) and am reasonably happy with it. It's on the Verizon network. They currently have a 15-day free trial for iPhone users: https://www.visible.com/free-trial
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

dred pirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:55 pm Has anyone used Tello? uses the same t-mobile network as boost (which works for me).

Looks like I can get a plan that works for me for $19 a month (unlimited call and text and 4GB of data - unlimited 2 g data after that)
Yes, for many years. I do the 1gb data and unlimited text plan for $6 per month. When you manually renew you plan, the data rolls over. I now have over 12gb of data.

Zero issues with Tello
czaj

Post by czaj »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:32 pm
dred pirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:55 pm Has anyone used Tello? uses the same t-mobile network as boost (which works for me).

Yes, for many years. I do the 1gb data and unlimited text plan for $6 per month. When you manually renew you plan, the data rolls over. I now have over 12gb of data.

Zero issues with Tello
It appears Tello family plans don’t share data, is that right? And you’ll pay per line? I am intrigued by the rollover and international coverage though.

We use Xfinity Mobile for $12+taxes/fees. Shared 1 GB data, but doesn’t roll over and unlimited talk/text. $12 more if you go over. It uses Verizon’s network.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

dred pirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm A few years ago we changed from Verizon to Boost - we know have two lines and pay $50 a month essentially for unlimited calls,text, and data
Is that $50/month total for two lines, or $50/month per line ($100/month total) ?

Consumer Cellular. https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/choose/plan
$75/month for 2 lines with unlimited data, talk, text.
Get additional 5% discount if you're an AARP member.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

We're happy with our switch from Verizon to TMobile about 2years ago.
Two lines unlimited call, text and data on their over 55 plan. $70/month with auto billing to our credit card. No additional fees, taxes.
Reception in our area is great.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Consumer Reports rates cell phone providers in this months magazine. My provider, ATT, comes in last. Our family has 5 phones ($198 month) on our plan - too painful to coordinate to switch providers. I stay with them, probably for the the same reason others stay with high priced financial advisors. Too lazy.

Maybe my BH friends can tell me how 5 individuals in all different locations across the US can switch 5 ATT iPhones over to another carrier with unlimited talk, text, and data, one person who uses a hotspot, and keep our same numbers for less than $40 a phone.

Thanks !
Last edited by Parkinglotracer on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I pay about $120 a month to Consumer Cellular for 4 phones and a mobile hotspot, unlimited talk text data, AARP discount.

I recently looked at tmobile and att when changing to 4G phones because I didn't like the 4G flip phone CC was selling. All the 4G flip phones turned out to be bad and the customer service from tmobile and att was very bad compared to CC's. I wound up staying with CC and buying used Doro 7050 4G phones via ebay.
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

Take a look a U.S. Mobile. I pay about $16/mo (with taxes and fees) for unlimited plus 1 gig. They're on Verizon. There are plans with more data. Paid about $18 on H2O and I think I had 2 gig. They're on AT&T.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
A440

Post by A440 »

We use Xfinity Mobile along with their internet.
4 lines runs us ~$30-$40/month for sharing 3 GB or less including fees.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

dred pirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm We were going to change to Mint- my wife had a jacked up screen on an old phone so figured we would try it. Long story short, I got the phone and it wouldn't turn - basically it was a paperweight. I called and asked for a refund/replacement. They processed it and then told me since I waited 7 days from receipt of the phone, it was outside of the return policy. Which was super annoying that short of time frame. After about 7 phone calls, 10 email, and finally reaching out via twitter over a 3 week period - they agreed to refund me my money ($800 for phone and a year service). SO ya - I don't want to go back to them (nor will my wife let me!)

So - who do you use that could save me some $$?
When you are chasing every penny, one should expect experiences like this. I don't like experiences like this and don't have any desire to chase every penny so I pay a premium and just stay with Verizon who has provided me with flawless service for nearly 15 years now.
yohac

Post by yohac »

As far as the phones, any unlocked iPhone, unless it truly ancient, should work on any plan. As far as the plans, unlimited calls and texts are almost a given. What matters is your need for data. My wife, who only calls and texts, is on a T-Mobile prepaid plan that includes 2.5 GB of data for $15 a month.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

czaj wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 pm

Zero issues with Tello
It appears Tello family plans don’t share data, is that right? And you’ll pay per line? I am intrigued by the rollover and international coverage though.

We use Xfinity Mobile for $12+taxes/fees. Shared 1 GB data, but doesn’t roll over and unlimited talk/text. $12 more if you go over. It uses Verizon’s network.
No clue about family plans, my wife is on RedPocket and kid on FreeUp.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I don't know what phone you were getting, but we buy our own unlocked Motorola phones and search for the best deal, rather than buying the phone from any provider.

We also read what return policies are when we buy things so that we open them immediately, if necessary.
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:25 am
dred pirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm We were going to change to Mint- my wife had a jacked up screen on an old phone so figured we would try it. Long story short, I got the phone and it wouldn't turn - basically it was a paperweight. I called and asked for a refund/replacement. They processed it and then told me since I waited 7 days from receipt of the phone, it was outside of the return policy. Which was super annoying that short of time frame. After about 7 phone calls, 10 email, and finally reaching out via twitter over a 3 week period - they agreed to refund me my money ($800 for phone and a year service). SO ya - I don't want to go back to them (nor will my wife let me!)

So - who do you use that could save me some $$?
When you are chasing every penny, one should expect experiences like this. I don't like experiences like this and don't have any desire to chase every penny so I pay a premium and just stay with Verizon who has provided me with flawless service for nearly 15 years now.
I get what you say - and you get what you pay for - but basically this would cut from 50 a month to 15 x 2 = 70 a month x 12 = $840 - not quite every penny - if it was for $5 a month, whole different story
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

Zero issues with Tello
what do you do to manually renew vs letting it automatically renew? just go onto the website at the end of the month? and you have to do it every month or you lose your roll over data?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

dred pirate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:57 am

Zero issues with Tello
what do you do to manually renew vs letting it automatically renew? just go onto the website at the end of the month? and you have to do it every month or you lose your roll over data?
Login - Click "Renew Plan" - Enter CCV from Credit Card - Hit Submit. Done. Takes no more than 1 minute.

They send an email each month, if you select the option to remind you.

And yes, if you forget one month, all rollover data is gone.
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:55 am

Zero issues with Tello
Login - Click "Renew Plan" - Enter CCV from Credit Card - Hit Submit. Done. Takes no more than 1 minute.

thanks - It is more of a matter of just remembering to do it - but could get by with a lower data per month that way - and if I did loose my rollover- could just bump up the plan for a month or two- thanks!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

dred pirate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 pm
runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:55 am

Zero issues with Tello

thanks - It is more of a matter of just remembering to do it - but could get by with a lower data per month that way - and if I did loose my rollover- could just bump up the plan for a month or two- thanks!
Not an issue to remember for me, use the Todoist App. It literally helps me live my life :)
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

We use AT&T. $200/month, 5 lines. Unlimited “Elite” plan.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

I've been using Tello for about a year and a half. Before that I used Red Pocket. I pay $7 month for unlimited texts and 300 minutes of talk time. I have an older Iphone and live in a big city. I obviously don't talk that much on it, but don't need to. Most people I talk to have Telegram, Face Time, Signal. The fidelity of calls is better than it was.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

also using Tello for few years now and my spouse now has his own account also. I pay $6.00 a month for unlimited texts and 100 min talk, 500 mg data.
I used to pay $10 for 1 gb but already have 40 GB which have rolled over since I got the plan so I just go with the minimum now. Can increase at any time if needed. Got my first smart phone on the website for $79 prior to the gsm move.
Tello has been great. no issues. when they switched to t-mobile, no coverage issues, even at my remote cabin. They always answer the phone if you need customer service.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Afty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm I recently switched to Visible ($25/mo unlimited) and am reasonably happy with it. It's on the Verizon network. They currently have a 15-day free trial for iPhone users: https://www.visible.com/free-trial
My BFF (a retired cellular engineer) switched to this a bunch of years ago and swears by it.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect