How does one "find" art?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
totallynotsure

How does one "find" art?

Post by totallynotsure »

looking to add some decor to my home and i've always been curious how folks find unique and/or original (read: not LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE) artwork to hang on the walls and such.

how do you discover new artists that aren't (yet) charging an arm and a leg for a print or, even, an original?

i'm familiar with many of the popular print/art websites out there. i've also heard going to art school websites and trying to find shows and such could be another method.

are there any other ways to find neat art?
Beensabu

Re: How does one "find" art?

Post by Beensabu »

Local art galleries and other establishments that feature the work of local artists on a monthly basis or so.

Just go look at stuff. In person. Maybe you'll find something you really like.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

totallynotsure wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:19 pm looking to add some decor to my home and i've always been curious how folks find unique and/or original (read: not LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE) artwork to hang on the walls and such.

how do you discover new artists that aren't (yet) charging an arm and a leg for a print or, even, an original?

i'm familiar with many of the popular print/art websites out there. i've also heard going to art school websites and trying to find shows and such could be another method.

Ha, hilarious, yes every time I see those words in real estate photos I just think how much money Hobby Lobby and Michaels are making on that stuff.

I love going to senior student art shows and offering to buy an original or print. I consider it a down payment on their future, and you can sense how thrilled they are to sell something at an academic event. Some of the best money I’ve spent, and you get something that I can assure you they spent a considerable amount of time and effort on, while receiving excellent guidance. Of course depends on your location and the quality of the institution. You can also discuss an iteration or size that is more suitable for your intended use.

Bigger picture, I did attend lots of shows but these days I find more up and coming content on social, as much as I hate it. The more you develop a sense of your taste, the easier it is to find something meaningful to you. It’s not like shopping on Amazon, it’s really about cultivating a way of life and seeing the world. I like having some personal connection to the art or artist, whatever that means.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Highly recommend local emerging artists galleries. You are essentially paying for the artists' living expenses, which in my opinion is a noble cause.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

For art that doesn't cost "an arm and a leg" try artist incubators (my city has an arts organization that provides space to developing artists and has galleries) and consignment shops.

There are a number of galleries with an online presence that specialize in prints (as in lithographs, monoprints, mezzotints, etc. vs. posters).

Many galleries will periodically have small works shows where you can get works from well regarded artists for a fraction of their usual costs.

I follow a number of artists on Instagram. Some will offer up studies they've done for a fraction of their usual prices, usually around the end of the year as a way of cleaning out their studios. Others will offer works on their websites, again for much less than you'll find them in a gallery. The downside is that these are often less finished works, smaller, or may be unframed. Still, there's gems to be found.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Art festivals, art shows. They are practically everywhere. One can even commission artwork, too. I typed into my web browser "local art festivals"

https://www.fairsandfestivals.net/ Ha! Ha!

And then you become a Patron of the Arts where you buy new production from your favorite artists whether you need it or not.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We create our own either by painting, blowing up a photograph or kids art. Anything not in those categories is something we inherited from family.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:58 pm Art festivals, art shows. They are practically everywhere. One can even commission artwork, too. I typed into my web browser "local art festivals"

https://www.fairsandfestivals.net/ Ha! Ha!

And then you become a Patron of the Arts where you buy new production from your favorite artists whether you need it or not.
+1. I have had very good luck with art festivals. They are typically in the spring, summer and fall. There’s usually a wide variety of art so it’s like visiting numerous galleries in one setting. The Denver metro area has a nice one in the Cherry Creek Art Festival. Another option would be to visit art hubs like Santa Fe or Sedona. Most big cities have art districts that are fun to visit as well.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

If you live in or near a city, they might have a First Friday Art Walk or similar monthly event to encourage browsing at galleries and shops that sell art. It’s a good way to hit several places in one evening.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

B.P. Before the pandemic, we used to go to sip paint and wine classes. We hang our paintings on our wood backyard fence to give color to the yard and garden. Some of them we have hung on our walls. Now, of course, that's not art, right? Well, no, it is. It just seems like it could not be.
Some of our results surprised us.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

I go out of my way to NOT find art. In our household, one of us loves art and the other does not like spend money.

So, NOT finding art == not spending money.

I know people who kept looking for art, and have an entire basement of art, with 100K+ pieces. Of course, they also made 300M selling their business.

But I would rather NOT find art.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

caffeperfavore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 pm For art that doesn't cost "an arm and a leg" try artist incubators (my city has an arts organization that provides space to developing artists and has galleries) and consignment shops.

There are a number of galleries with an online presence that specialize in prints (as in lithographs, monoprints, mezzotints, etc. vs. posters).

Many galleries will periodically have small works shows where you can get works from well regarded artists for a fraction of their usual costs.

I follow a number of artists on Instagram. Some will offer up studies they've done for a fraction of their usual prices, usually around the end of the year as a way of cleaning out their studios. Others will offer works on their websites, again for much less than you'll find them in a gallery. The downside is that these are often less finished works, smaller, or may be unframed. Still, there's gems to be found.
I would go for paint on canvas if possible rather than prints, but maybe it’s just too cost prohibitive?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I live in a densely populated urban area - many of the local Jr. Colleges, Colleges, Universities, and local public libraries have "exhibitions" of either local artists (or students) art - with that art for sale.

You can look for juried art shows in your area.

You can "hunt" through resale shops and "antique" stores looking for things to put on the walls.

Found on Facebook: A local artist does prints based on what the local suburbs are known for (architecture, a landmark, something else) (a whopping $20 per print) I have 2 that go with my suburb - in $20 frames from Michaels.

I also have purchased prints of comics that I like (go comics offers this ability) also framed in inexpensive frames. Sometimes the comic's artists have Etsy stores where they sell their original art.

Think about what brings you joy or what you like to look at.

I have a mix of things hanging on my walls... In 2018 A relative was doing some "Swedish Death Cleaning" and was giving away/donating much of the "art" they had decorated their home with - the majority were framed prints. Out of 20 framed prints - 4 actually had some value (over $100) - the rest were $10 or less at a garage sale or re-sale store. none of these were "my style" so I passed on them when they were offered for "free" to family/close friends. The same relative then pulled some 75 year old paintings out of their basement storage - 2 of which I liked - but they were "brown" with nicotine/grime. No one else liked the scenes/subjects of the paintings. I took the two I liked even though they were "dingy and dirty". Not sure what happened to the paintings I didn't take. Turned out 1 was from a known artist (but the painting is not one of his popular subjects so not worth much) and the 2nd is by an unknown. When the Pandemic started and I resolved to do things I'd never done before and I had lots of extra money due to WFH - I had the two paintings cleaned (the cleaning cost more than the paintings are 'worth' - but I really LIKE both of them and I had lived with them in the "gosh that's a grimey gray painting!" stage.. and I would be paying MORE than the cleaning if I were to buy a similar sized paintings by a sort of known artist today...

The painting by the known artist - looks amazing - bright and beautiful. I really like it. The painting by the unknown artist also cleaned up nicely bright and beautiful and I really like it, too. Both painting are now hanging on my walls. Both paintings now have more "story" as I went thru the expense and effort to have the nicotine/grime removed. I didn't destroy a "priceless" painting - I gave them both a new life.

Another relative came into about 30 "water color" framed paintings by someone who did it for fun. All of the watercolors were framed (and matted with 80's colors). I picked out 3 of the paintings - reframed and re-matted two of them. The one I didn't change is the best of the lot - the other 2 are fine and go better with my decor with the new frame and mattes. none of these are worth more than the cost of the frame/mattes.

Think about things you like (a hobby? a sport? some place on earth? something that has meaning to you? ) and then look around for "art" that goes along with that interest. Don't buy art because it's an "investment" I have 2 paintings (that were grimey/nicotine coated because they hung in a smokers home (or office) for decades and then where stored in a basement for decades) that did not increase in value over the decades - even though one is by a known artist. :)

ADDED: just looked around at all the art in my house - and none of it was purchased from a Big Box type store (online or IRL).
LittleMaggieMae

I know people who purchase some sort of "art" from where ever it is they vacationed. They have been able to find a theme or color scheme so that the wide ranging pieces coordinate and look good together even though each piece has a different "theme" or "subject".

That's something to think about as well...
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

totallynotsure wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:19 pm looking to add some decor to my home and i've always been curious how folks find unique and/or original (read: not LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE) artwork to hang on the walls and such.

It really matters what catches your eye. We have even bought art from our local restaurant that features local artists. Buy what you like. We have bought art while traveling: Paris, New Orleans, Santa Fe. We have bought local galleries (lucky to be near Scottsdale). Buy what catches your eye in my opinion.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Instagram is also a great way to browse the work of a lot of artists to find something you like. The ability to look through so much interesting design, art, and architecture work is why I still hang onto my Instagram/Facebook account.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Once you begin visiting the places suggested here, the bigger and rewarding challenge is finding art you describe as “neat.” It’s a wide open and entirely personal experience.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm
caffeperfavore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 pm For art that doesn't cost "an arm and a leg" try artist incubators (my city has an arts organization that provides space to developing artists and has galleries) and consignment shops.

I would go for paint on canvas if possible rather than prints, but maybe it’s just too cost prohibitive?
Printmaking is an art form of its own. By prints, I'm not talking about reproductions of another work, like a poster print of a famous painting. I'm talking about works of art that were conceived and designed specifically to be a print, which has it's own interesting qualities, like woodblock, silk screen, mezzotint, etc.

E.g., Andy Warhol was primarily a printmaker. His most famous works were created as prints, not paintings.

So it's not a question of whether its better to have a painting or a print. They're different art forms. I love and collect both.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Do you go to art museums or art galleries regularly? We've seen several artists that we've really liked and hunted down their art dealer and bought through them. We have also purchased some items while traveling.

It is kinda neat to go to a major museum and see work by an artist whose original work you have at home.

I concur with caffeperfavore's comments on prints.

That said, I am under no illusion that any of this is an investment. It is a shared love of DW & mine. After we pass, most of it will not be wanted by kids or be sold at a profit. Not for everyone.
Last edited by calmaniac on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Another idea is to visit Sci-Fi and Fantasy conventions. They often have a artist gallery with items for sale.

While the subject is not exactly my cup of tea you can find a wide array of styles, quality, and price ranges.

BTW, what style are you interested in? That might help us narrow down the field.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
LittleMaggieMae

LOL! When my City replaced the street signs - I purchased the signs for the cross streets of where I grew up (the family home). Someday I will find a place for those. When my City had it's centennial - special license plates were offered for purchase (they were good for 1 year) and had the City Theme and indicated they were for the centennial. As I have lived my entire life in my City - I purchased the special plates and put them on my car. When the year was up - I got to keep the plates. At some point I will use the plates along with the street signs and some other City themed odds and ends as "art".

Think about "nostalgia" kinds of things as well... that can be turned into "art" with a bit of creativity.
celia

Post by celia »

Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:21 pm B.P. Before the pandemic, we used to go to sip paint and wine classes.
Drinking paint and solvents can make you sick!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you’re looking to pay a fair price to an artist who may not be established yet, juried art shows and summer festivals are probably your best bet. There will also be local galleries that carry artists that aren’t as well known, and you might be able to get something for reasonable.

If you have an interest, it’s also fun to take an art class, and you’d be surprised at what you can come up with yourself, sometimes.

I have a friend who bought copies of 20th century masters (Picasso, Dali, etc) from China. It was like $150 per piece. Walking into his house is entertaining. You know all the stuff is fake, but “Hey! Isn’t that ‘Woman asleep in an armchair’?”
drk

Post by drk »

I don't know how common this is, but the Seattle Art Museum offers some pieces by Pacific Northwest artists for sale or rent. You could call your local museum to see if they do something similar.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
golf101

Post by golf101 »

Someone else mentioned this as well but all of the art at our house is from international trips. It started 22 years ago when I bought a painting of an elephant on silk. Every trip since then we’ve brought a piece of art home. They are always paintings that get rolled up in my backpack and then framed when we get home. Cheap, beautiful and memorable.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

caffeperfavore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:43 pm
finite_difference wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Printmaking is an art form of its own. By prints, I'm not talking about reproductions of another work, like a poster print of a famous painting. I'm talking about works of art that were conceived and designed specifically to be a print, which has it's own interesting qualities, like woodblock, silk screen, mezzotint, etc.

E.g., Andy Warhol was primarily a printmaker. His most famous works were created as prints, not paintings.

So it's not a question of whether its better to have a painting or a print. They're different art forms. I love and collect both.
I also like the artwork of many prints that I’ve seen but their values are basically between zero and nil. Whereas paintings can actually hold or gain value. There’s just something special about paint (or watercolor). So buy a print for the art, or to support the artist, but just know it is unlikely to appreciate. If you had the chance to buy an artwork from Picasso, you would be kicking yourself if you bought one of his prints instead. Also if you like a specific artwork, quality reproductions do seem like a good option.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
fposte

Post by fposte »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:27 pm I also like the artwork of many prints that I’ve seen but their values are basically between zero and nil. Whereas paintings can actually hold or gain value. There’s just something special about paint (or watercolor). So buy a print for the art, or to support the artist, but just know it is unlikely to appreciate. If you had the chance to buy an artwork from Picasso, you would be kicking yourself if you bought one of his prints instead. Also if you like a specific artwork, quality reproductions do seem like a good option.
IMHO, it’s a bad idea to buy art for financial reasons anyway, but prints can indeed appreciate. I got started on collecting art when it turned out a family picture, a print, was now worth well into the five digits. If I want a Picasso linocut, I wouldn’t want a painting instead; it’s its own medium.

Another advantage of prints is they’re easy to ship, and there are some excellent specialist galleries, my personal favorite being Davidson Galleries in Seattle, that make shopping online rewarding and tempting. I also buy paintings over the Internet from galleries, mostly British ones; they’ve always been very easy to work with and do a great job showing the art on their websites. I do stick to smaller paintings when buying from overseas because shipping costs can be daunting on larger works. Between online shopping and art fairs, the house us at risk of getting seriously crowded.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

posting to follow

i don't know anything about artists or art galleries

the only art we have comes from consignment shops, as in, vintage furniture and home decor.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I use to sell my art, abstracts, in restaurants. Local, small ones still feature artists, but its hit and miss.

As noted above, local galleries are a great resource and most communities have them; some are in libraries. To increase the search area, one way to search is to google "local art galleries call for entries." When I do that, I get a list of local galleries all over the US:

https://www.entrythingy.com/forartists_calls

Also, any local art schools. These are sometimes in community colleges. Some fantastic art can be found in shows at a local high school, so that might also be an option, by emailing the schools.

Another option is to search for "rent art space/studio." It's interesting to meet the artists and watch them work. "Faculty art shows" is another search to do.

As an example of local galleries, below is a link to one in Richmond when I am down that way:

https://www.crossroadsartcenter.com/pages/artists
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
chazas

Post by chazas »

Very good question!

I’ve been buying things locally on FB marketplace and on eBay. First filter - do I like it? Second filter - if I have any questions about whether it’s really nice, I ask a knowledgeable friend. Third filter - google the artist to see if you like the overall, and to figure out previously sold prices to make sure you’re not out of bounds. I will buy something decorative from an unknown artist but pay less. Fourth filter - is it framed? Framing costs a lot and framed pieces don’t go for so much more than framed pieces.

A friend with great taste and a super duper fancy art world job recommends Artsy, a website. So far that overwhelms me.
Baxxter

Post by Baxxter »

DW and I bought a large piece of decorative art from a local auction house yesterday. It's a reputable auction house for estates, jewelry, real estate and the occasional piece of 'fine' art. But they also have regular, thematic 'entry-level' auctions - where in the art auction you can find framed prints, paintings, sculptures etc. A lot of the pieces sell for $50-$100. We went with a larger piece that was part of the marketing material for the auction, so paid a bit more, but still less than $500.

The auction itself is a 'thrill' or anxiety, depending on how your brain works. Probably best to draw a line in the sand on your final bid well before the auction closes. We came within $50 of our line in the sand, but felt a tinge of guilt when we won. Still learning how to spend money.

But, the art is there and the experience is unique.

Watch out for the buyer's premium, it's a doozy at 20-25%.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Go to one of the outdoor art fairs.
lightnoise

Post by lightnoise »

Take your pick…

https://20x200.com/
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Our home has large walls and is "decorated" with our own framed "art" and photography, some are about 3 feet x 4-5 feet in size.

consider your own "art", is an option amongst a zillion options.

make "art" vs find "art". . . . ?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

The best way is just to talk to artists. They are always friends with other artists. Many share what they make online as well. Sites like flickr and deviantart.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves