How to avoid low quality products

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackwhisker

How to avoid low quality products

Post by blackwhisker »

It seems the quality of some of the stuff I buy from my local big-box stores have gone downhill significantly in the last 5 years. For example, a table with a toxic smell, a blanket sheds like crazy.

Anyone else has this experience? Is there a solution?

I guess one obvious solution is to shop at more "up-scale" stores to avoid low quality products. Or purchase products that are made in countries that are known to have good workmanship.

About upscale stores, I recently had two bad experiences with Nordstrom. They sent me used products. I don't think I used to have this issue with Nordstrom.

Are there certain retailers more trustworthy than others?
UpperNwGuy

Re: How to avoid low quality products

Post by UpperNwGuy »

In general, you can be more confident of what you buy at brick and mortar stores. When you order online, you can never be completely sure of product quality. Your Nordstroms example is a good case in point.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I wish I had a good answer for you. Like many people, my wife and I have gotten caught up in the convenience of Amazon. But for the past couple years there's been an explosion of poor quality knock offs. Amazon has become what Ebay used to be. It takes a lot more work now to buy something of quality off Amazon because their search algorithm will give me pages of junk with weird brand names like "fribitgoo" and doesn't always give an option to filter by known brands that we can trust to have some level of quality control. And the plethora of fake reviews makes it even harder. Up until a couple years ago we never had to make a return. Now returns are becoming common because we received poor quality junk that had 5* reviews. At least Amazon makes the return process fairly painless.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

You kind of have the answer in your question - look where they are made. That said, with Covid the last 2 years and disruptions in workforce even countries where you expect quality could be impacted from turnover,

A table with a toxic smell? Sounds like a DIY assembly. I doubt you'd have that problem if you bought at a dedicated furniture store that deals in fully assembled products.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

blackwhisker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:59 am It seems the quality of some of the stuff I buy from my local big-box stores have gone downhill significantly in the last 5 years. For example, a table with a toxic smell, a blanket sheds like crazy.

I guess one obvious solution is to shop at more "up-scale" stores to avoid low quality products. Or purchase products that are made in countries that are known to have good workmanship.

About upscale stores, I recently had two bad experiences with Nordstrom. They sent me used products. I don't think I used to have this issue with Nordstrom.

For the most part, Costco sells quality items. They don't sell 10 coffeemakers, for example, like Target. They sell one or two. And we've been pleased.
We don't pay their furniture prices because we think they are overpriced. But everything else, very good quality for a decent price.

We have purchased Ashley furniture from 3rd party sellers. The Ashley store is too expensive. Also check the Clearance room at other, more expensive stores.

Finally, craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are good places to find quality used furniture. Even Goodwill/thrift stores.
Trism

Post by Trism »

This opinion doesn't come close to applying to everything we buy, however for many things where tastes change over time (clothes, some furniture/decorative items) I am willing to compromise a bit on quality to get a lower price.

I'd rather pay $40 for a sweater that I'll wear 20 times before I am tired of it than $80 for a higher-quality sweater that I'd wear the same 20 times before it's forgotten and eventually discarded.

I'm sure it's out there, but I haven't encountered a price point where I couldn't get 20 uses out of a sweater I'd actually wear in public.
Last edited by Trism on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TiredLawyer

Post by TiredLawyer »

I have found this issue with plumbing fixtures as well. Many of the big box stores sell name-brand fixtures that are manufactured for a cheaper price. But they are substituting plastic for metal. You can sometimes go to a plumbing supply house or directly to the manufacturer’s store (Kohler) to get a better version. Of most concern is probably the big box stores’ hot water heaters where the the gas valves and drains are made of plastic whereas some plumbers have access to the “professional” lines that are better built with metal.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

It's too simplistic to say "look where they are made". I think it's about knowing what you want, what's most important to you when you spend money, and not expecting something that is very low cost to last forever. If something that is low cost does last a long time I'm surprised rather than angry.

Example: I have some $8 workout shirts from Amazon that have held up well. They came with a lot of lose strings and I was expecting them to fall apart after 50 washes or so, but they haven't. The sizing is a little weird and they run hotter than I'd prefer. I was not expecting a $8 shirt to last forever so I'm a little surprised and I accept that there are some compromises with a $8 shirt. Had they fallen apart I would have said to myself "well that's an $8 shirt" and would not have become depressed about spending $8 on a shirt that fell apart. I also have two $80 workout shirts. They are much, much nicer (cooler, better fit, better color). I don't wear them most of the time. If I needed to impress someone at the gym and while exercising I'd have more of the expensive shirts.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

If you are buying from Amazon, limiting your options to “shipped and sold by Amazon” helps avoid some of the worst counterfeits, etc.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Buy stuff you can see, touch, pick up, smell, try on first. If you're buying online, expect disappointment, product switching, low quality junk and counterfeit products.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Inframan4712 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:23 am
blackwhisker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:59 am It seems the quality of some of the stuff I buy from my local big-box stores have gone downhill significantly in the last 5 years. For example, a table with a toxic smell, a blanket sheds like crazy.

For the most part, Costco sells quality items. They don't sell 10 coffeemakers, for example, like Target. They sell one or two. And we've been pleased.
We don't pay their furniture prices because we think they are overpriced. But everything else, very good quality for a decent price.

We have purchased Ashley furniture from 3rd party sellers. The Ashley store is too expensive. Also check the Clearance room at other, more expensive stores.

Finally, craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are good places to find quality used furniture. Even Goodwill/thrift stores.
I agree with the Costco comment. And their generous return policy does make me take more of a risk than I would otherwise. However, I did recently buy some nightshirts from them on-line. $7. They're junk. Keeping one donating another because my time (even in retirement) is worth more than $3.50 to wait in line.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

This is going to sound annoying and stupid, but to avoid low quality products, buy better quality products. If you’re buying by price from a big box store, you’re going to get something that’s cheaply made. If you want something that’s going to last, go to a better store, look at and touch the item. Especially with furniture, look at the back and underside of it. You can learn a lot about how well it’s made by looking at the sides that aren’t meant for the public to see. Expect you’ll spend more for it initially. In the long run, though, you’ll spend less, because he item will last longer.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

- Avoid big-box brick-and-mortar stores (except Costco)
- If purchasing from Amazon or similar online, research the product independently - don't trust the Amazon reviews
- Order directly from small producers online - this helps to support small businesses, and results in a higher assurance of quality
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

I look for places with generous return policies. I don’t mind paying a bit extra. They’re usually willing to back their products, even if slightly used. This generally applies to bigger ticket items for me.

About Nordstrom, I was actually very impressed with their customer service. Had a pretty expensive item (1000+ dollars) shipped to an old address thousands of miles away that we no longer lived at. This was completely my fault since I didn’t remember to update the address on the Nordstrom account. They gave us a direct refund. About a few weeks later, I got a call from my old landlord that the item was still there in the mail room. When I called Nordstrom about this, they told me not to worry about it. My refund was still safe and they never bothered to pick it up. Ended up letting a friend take it as a gift when the landlord threatened to throw it out after 2 months of sitting in the mailroom.
Last edited by bubbly on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

For Amazon, i look at the fakespot rating to assess the authenticity of the Amazon review. (I added Fakespot as an extension in Chrome so it appears automatically when I look at an Amazon product.) I think that helps avoid some duds.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Trism wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:29 am This opinion doesn't come close to applying to everything we buy, however for many things where tastes change over time (clothes, some furniture/decorative items) I am willing to compromise a bit on quality to get a lower price.

I'd rather pay $40 for a sweater that I'll wear 20 times before I am tired of it than $80 for a higher-quality sweater that I'd wear the same 20 times before it's forgotten and eventually discarded.

I'm sure it's out there, but I haven't encountered a price point where I couldn't get 20 uses out of a sweater I'd actually wear in public.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I tend to buy the cheapest option of almost whatever I am looking for, realizing that I can always upgrade later if it doesn't meet my needs: I virtually never end up upgrading. You have to balance this with how and how often you are going to use something; you'll probably want to spend a bit more on a piece of furniture that you'll use daily (hopefully for many many years), but most of the consumer goods you'll buy will have nowhere near that level (or length) of use.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

I too buy at places I can return. If it is cheaply made I return it as a service to my fellow man / woman.

I consult Consumer Reports and Wirecutter and maybe even BH friends on big purchases.
AAA

Post by AAA »

What I tend to do is read the 1and 2 star ratings e.g. on Amazon. If I find comments like "stopped working after two weeks," "rusted after one washing," "came with a strong odor," etc. I tend to avoid it even if the % of low ratings is small. Of course that eliminates most candidates.

A typical complaint these days is that current products from a well-known and formerly reliable company are of lower quality than what was made in the past. I think investors purchase rights to use the name and then go about finding a cheaper source of manufacture with lower standards.

Unfortunately, low quality seems to be the rule these days rather than the exception, whether it's clothing, electronics, customer service or anything else.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

I have to prevent myself from buying inexpensive items and thinking they'll be fine.
Im frugal.
It has not often turned out well.

Most recently, it was bath towels.
We did a complete Reno of our main bathroom. New tiled shower, high end cabinet, quality hardware, etc.
Expensive project but it's beautiful and we're very happy.

I bought a set of towels at Costco.
Not super expensive.
Thick, oversized, gorgeous texture.
They're a year old now, many washes, still perfect.

Bought a second set online sight unseen from Kohl's. Inexpensive. Looked fine on arrival. Not as nice as others but ok.
But after 3 washes, the edge binding is unraveling and the fabric is wearing through in spots. Yuck.

Found a set on sale at Lands End.
About $80. A good after Christmas buy.
I buy alot from them and have been happy with quality.
They're great, thick supima cotton, good size.
After several washings, all good.

I won't be tempted by the $25 dollars Kohl's towels again.
socaldude

Post by socaldude »

It's kinda sad but wall street/J.Cramer/big box retailers tend to push the cheap crap and push American quality out the door. My tip is to ask tradesmen whenever you can. A knife sharpener told me of the rarity of quality steel and that Home Depot buys a massive share of stock of most of the Chinese steel cos. and other cheap brands they carry. I bought a pergola (wooden patio cover) from Home Depot for $1100... advertised as "cedar" it was cedar all right, Chinese cedar, ( beware of this crapola!) you could put your fist through the 4x4"s like balsa wood. And a reliable plumber told me same about toilets and fixtures at HD, that HD holds stock in all the cheap toilet companies they sell-- you really are not deciding, they only carry brands that they own but pretend otherwise, thankfully plumber has gotten me better quality products elsewhere. Home Depot and their All American Board of Directors happy to sell you Chinese Crapola Tip: talk to tradesmen about brands.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

If you absolutely need a product to be genuine and high quality from Amazon, review the seller list. If there are many sellers, stay away. All of the sellers' product get thrown into the same bin in Amazon's warehouse. Some are authentic, some may be cheap knockoffs. You're relying on the warehouse worker/robot to randomly pick a genuine product.

When it really matters, I buy from Amazon if Amazon is the only listed seller. Or if it's Amazon and the manufacturer. Then I know there isn't a seller trying to sneak in a knockoff.
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

AAA wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm What I tend to do is read the 1and 2 star ratings e.g. on Amazon. If I find comments like "stopped working after two weeks," "rusted after one washing," "came with a strong odor," etc. I tend to avoid it even if the % of low ratings is small. Of course that eliminates most candidates.

A typical complaint these days is that current products from a well-known and formerly reliable company are of lower quality than what was made in the past. I think investors purchase rights to use the name and then go about finding a cheaper source of manufacture with lower standards.

Unfortunately, low quality seems to be the rule these days rather than the exception, whether it's clothing, electronics, customer service or anything else.
I totally agree with you. Thanks.
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

socaldude wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:34 pm It's kinda sad but wall street/J.Cramer/big box retailers tend to push the cheap crap and push American quality out the door. My tip is to ask tradesmen whenever you can. A knife sharpener told me of the rarity of quality steel and that Home Depot buys a massive share of stock of most of the Chinese steel cos. and other cheap brands they carry. I bought a pergola (wooden patio cover) from Home Depot for $1100... advertised as "cedar" it was cedar all right, Chinese cedar, ( beware of this crapola!) you could put your fist through the 4x4"s like balsa wood. And a reliable plumber told me same about toilets and fixtures at HD, that HD holds stock in all the cheap toilet companies they sell-- you really are not deciding, they only carry brands that they own but pretend otherwise, thankfully plumber has gotten me better quality products elsewhere. Home Depot and their All American Board of Directors happy to sell you Chinese Crapola Tip: talk to tradesmen about brands.
Thank you!
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

musicmom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:14 pm I have to prevent myself from buying inexpensive items and thinking they'll be fine.
Im frugal.
It has not often turned out well.

Most recently, it was bath towels.
We did a complete Reno of our main bathroom. New tiled shower, high end cabinet, quality hardware, etc.
Expensive project but it's beautiful and we're very happy.

I bought a set of towels at Costco.
Not super expensive.
Thick, oversized, gorgeous texture.
They're a year old now, many washes, still perfect.

Bought a second set online sight unseen from Kohl's. Inexpensive. Looked fine on arrival. Not as nice as others but ok.
But after 3 washes, the edge binding is unraveling and the fabric is wearing through in spots. Yuck.

Found a set on sale at Lands End.
About $80. A good after Christmas buy.
I buy alot from them and have been happy with quality.
They're great, thick supima cotton, good size.
After several washings, all good.

I won't be tempted by the $25 dollars Kohl's towels again.
Thank you for sharing your experience Musicmom!
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

Op here. Thank you everyone for the input.
rpl3000

Post by rpl3000 »

My recent experience looking for curtain rods and hangers.

Everything at Lowe's and Home Depot was the same. Illusion of choice and looked cheap. Google led me to ebay where I found something tolerable. The seller had in the description "look for me on Etsy".

I found what is was looking for on Etsy. The seller even customized what I wanted.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Research.
Research some more. Some times I will spend 30+ hours researching a $100 purchase.
Take your time.
Spend the money. Don’t cheap out.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:38 pm Research.
Research some more. Some times I will spend 30+ hours researching a $100 purchase.
Take your time.
Spend the money. Don’t cheap out.
100% agree. Buying quality these days usually takes some effort.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

My $.02
DW and I are going through a remodel on the house.
She has great taste, and I am the numbers guy.
We have one rule we agree upon: "The worst mistake is to finish and realize you hate it."
The best move we have made so far is to find a general contractor we trust. Small firm. We've seen his work. We got lucky.

Other than that, I would suggest concentrating on the big items and not sweating the small stuff. Shite happens.
Best of luck!
:beer
Bogle7

Pay attention to everything

Post by Bogle7 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pmDW and I are going through a remodel on the house....Other than that, I would suggest concentrating on the big items and not sweating the small stuff.
I disagree.
Experience with a renovation that cost more than the purchase price of the house.
Experience with adding a home office.
Experience with a significant kitchen renovation.

PCs and software make it very easy to create detailed "parts lists".
I say: spec everything down to the drywall screws.
vanbogle59

Re: Pay attention to everything

Post by vanbogle59 »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 pm
vanbogle59 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pmDW and I are going through a remodel on the house....Other than that, I would suggest concentrating on the big items and not sweating the small stuff.
I disagree.
Experience with a renovation that cost more than the purchase price of the house.
Experience with adding a home office.
Experience with a significant kitchen renovation.

PCs and software make it very easy to create detailed "parts lists".
I say: spec everything down to the drywall screws.
You skipped this part: "The best move we have made so far is to find a general contractor we trust."
It's clear to me that you did precisely that.....
and his name is Bogle7 :wink:
Bogle7

Re: Pay attention to everything

Post by Bogle7 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pmYou skipped this part: "The best move we have made so far is to find a general contractor we trust."
We had a great general contractor. All 3 times.
You still spec down to a gnat’s eyeball.
For our 2017 kitchen renovation, I created 7 pages of (to scale) drawings with detailed schedules. While I did not specify the brand/model of electrical wire, I did spec all the outlets—including the ones for the ovens.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

AAA wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm A typical complaint these days is that current products from a well-known and formerly reliable company are of lower quality than what was made in the past. I think investors purchase rights to use the name and then go about finding a cheaper source of manufacture with lower standards.
I also see this. I have been a loyal New Balance running shoe fan for close to 20 years. The newer versions of their shoes have a much shorter life...they rip and wear out prematurely compared to shoes purchased as recently as 3-4 years ago. I've had Hamilton Beach and Toshiba small appliances prematurely fail a few months or a year into light use. Hamilton Beach did help me out - so I will continue to be brand loyal. Toshiba was terrible. Fairly pricey appliance malfunctioned after purchase - but too late to return to store. They just dismissed me.

I expect stuff to break/wear out faster/be inferior now, but when a company works with me - a small credit towards a replacement...sending me a part, I'll be incredibly loyal. Sadly, few companies do that anymore.