Uber issue - how to handle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Uber issue - how to handle?

Post by stocknoob4111 »

The gist of what happened:
I ordered a Uber from DAL (Dallas Love field) to a hotel about 3 miles away where I had parked my car. To my amazement I was routed to a driver in Los Angeles (software glitch) 1,236 miles away. It took me a while to realize what the HECK was going on, I tried calling the driver but he was unresponsive, his cell# said Out of service.

When I cancelled it said I had to accept a $20 cancellation fee and there was no other option to get out of the situation as the app had hung waiting for the driver. I took good screen shots of the mess - and the trip history also shows both origin of the driver and destination as Los Angeles which is clearly in error (see screenshots below for amusement :D ) [i've blurred out some details for privacy]

Image Image

Contacted Uber support to dispute the cancellation fee through the app and they promptly refunded me the cancellation fee. However, they have refunded it as "Uber Cash" which I don't particularly want (I very rarely use Uber). Further attempts to reach a human or send more messages have been unsuccessful as it simply says "This matter has already been resolved" so it's a dead end.

So now I have a few options and need help assessing what I should do:

a) Initiate a chargeback on my card : Pros is that I will definitely win it as I have documented screenshots of the glitch, Con is that I read Uber permanently bans those who initiate chargebacks, also account could go to collections

b) File a Consumer Protection Bureau complaint or something similar

c) Pursue Small Claims for $20 + $300 (estimated) collection costs + legal fees (This may sound ridiculous but I consider the above THEFT by Uber and I am having trouble reconciling allowing these mega companies to rip off innocent victims with impunity)

d) Business Decision - Not worth my effort, just try to use the Uber Cash, I can use it for Uber Eats pickup at my local restaurant so eventually I can use the credit to my satisfaction sometime in the near future.

Which option would you choose?

$20 isn't a whole lot of money to me but I get upset by the whole principle of it. Uber has no way of reaching them, they've shut off their # and made it available only to Drivers which is unacceptable.
newyorker

Re: Uber issue - how to handle?

Post by newyorker »

Dude, you already got the credit back. Use it next time. Why live so difficult?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Elliott is usually a good source, if you want to escalate.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/
Last edited by bob60014 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

Life is too short to stress over $20, especially when you got those $20 back in a credit you'll eventually use.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

newyorker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am Dude, you already got the credit back. Use it next time. Why live so difficult?
+1. This is for $20. Use it next time with Uber or forget about it. It is not worth the hassle.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I personally hate uber and how they operate so I would do the chargeback and let them eat the $39 charge for a charge back plus the $20 and never use them again. I've used taxis when on business and had great service every time, including being cheaper than colleagues using Uber and faster.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

"However, they have refunded it as "Uber Cash" which I don't particularly want (I very rarely use Uber)."

Just thinking, will they allow you to apply it to Uber Eats, if available in your area?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

If you don't forsee being able to use the $20 credit, then you wouldn't have to worry about a ban.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am Which option would you choose?
None of the above.
$20 isn't a whole lot of money to me but I get upset by the whole principle of it.
Stop using Uber. Write off the $20. Get on with your life. Have a beer.
Die on a different hill.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I'd forego my next 4 lattes and call it even.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Obviously initiate a chargeback. I have no idea why you wouldn't do this.
If they ban you and you later want to use them, create a new account with a different email address and phone number (Google Voice). Or just use Lyft.
I would not let them keep $20 they erroneously charged you and then let them turn it into fake money.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Another vote for the chargeback. That's what I did over a charge larger than this. Then I self-banned and deleted the app never to return. They pull this crap all the time and it is impossible to get any fair resolution.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

When I look at your A through D options, the answer seems pretty obvious. B and C are too time consuming and not worth the hassle. You give the reason for not choosing A, you’ve heard you could get banned from Uber, and even though you say you don’t use them much, you are concerned that it could happen. Winner is D by your own evaluation. You’ll possibly use the ride service in the future or you can use it for UberEats.

I’m at home for the next few days recovering from Covid, and slightly cranky. If you need any more life coaching, I’m available. :?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

I vote C but only if you keep us updated
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Afty

Post by Afty »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am $20 isn't a whole lot of money to me but I get upset by the whole principle of it.
When I find myself saying "it's not about the money, it's the principle," that's a good sign that it's a waste of time to fight.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

I had a driver cancel picking me up, Uber sent me the message that he had cancelled and charged me $5 for cancelling. :confused

I also contacted support and got it "refunded" as a credit. I can't say how much this annoyed me. After calming down I went for option D. It is what it is.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Chargeback takes under 10 minutes (realistically, under 5) for most major CC issuers online and you will probably receive an instant final credit as the amount is low enough the issuer will just eat it. Not doing so is skipping out on a gig paying $120/hour. It is the obvious choice here. Best wishes.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

A few weeks before Uber went public I took a $20 ride from a Miami hotel to the airport. The charge didn't show up until 10-15 hours later - nearly $700. According to Uber I'd apparently gone to the airport via Georgia. I got a nice map of my route!

It's been few years now and I'm still waiting for a response from Uber, but I did get an automated $5 off coupon because I made a complaint. Thankfully Amex nixed the change the net day. Then I deleted the app.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

d). Just take the credit and use it, especially if you can do Uber Eats. It doesn't seem terribly difficult to spend it.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

e. Send Uber ride to fellow Boglehead or other friend or family :) ?
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

You could also just use the credit to pay for food from a local (for pickup to avoid delivery charges) from UberEats.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Do a chargeback and use Lyft next time.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 am I personally hate uber and how they operate so I would do the chargeback and let them eat the $39 charge for a charge back plus the $20 and never use them again. I've used taxis when on business and had great service every time, including being cheaper than colleagues using Uber and faster.
I use a mix of taxis and Uber (and to a lesser degree Lyft). I have for certain paid more with a taxi than Uber in fact I'd say in my local area Uber is generally but not always cheaper than cabs. I will also say that overseas Uber can be handy to avoid taxi scams (which are common in some countries) and can also help get around the language barrier. YMMV. I do agree that I am not big on some of their business practices but taxis are hardly beyond reproach in this area either (artificially keeping the number of cabs low in NYC for decades for example).
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Afty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am $20 isn't a whole lot of money to me but I get upset by the whole principle of it.
When I find myself saying "it's not about the money, it's the principle," that's a good sign that it's a waste of time to fight.
If you're fighting for principle, you might as well make it a class action.

What state did the transaction take place? What is your home address state? So far the driver and Uber HQ are both CA, so does involvement in Dallas somehow nullify CA laws?

These consumer laws are geared towards products purchased at retailers, but some or similar laws may apply for services and cross-border or online transactions.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refunds
https://www.termsfeed.com/blog/return-r ... California

I don't think Uber Cash is considered a Gift Card, and the amount is over the amounts of the limited gift card refund laws.

Where Is It Required by Law To Redeem Gift Cards for Cash?
https://donotpay.com/learn/gift-card-laws-by-state

Anyway, I'm not a fan of any of these actions, but I don't want any entity to benefit from mistakes or errors, whoever is responsible. And it's not worth the effort to argue about who's error it is. The fairest thing is to reverse everything as best as possible, and everyone is a loser and wants to avoid these errors. If some one wins (in this case, gets to keep $20 cash), it creates the wrong incentive.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am a) Initiate a chargeback on my card : Pros is that I will definitely win it as I have documented screenshots of the glitch, Con is that I read Uber permanently bans those who initiate chargebacks, also account could go to collections
With my experience in chargebacks to my credit card, I would say it is probably definite that the credit card won't give you a single penny back. They will contact Uber who did issue you a full refund and then deny your request. I doubt that getting refunds in a form you don't want count as a reason for the credit card to refund your money.

Like someone said above, if it were me, I would choose to "die on a different hill."
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm d). Just take the credit and use it, especially if you can do Uber Eats. It doesn't seem terribly difficult to spend it.
+1. Life is too short.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

D) plus Switch to Lyft
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Use Uber eats

Easy
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I would do a chargeback.
What Uber did was give you a store credit when you paid with currency.
That does not fly with me.
Ktorrence

Post by Ktorrence »

Consider yourself lucky to be alive and use a taxi from now on. It amazes me how people feel so safe and confident getting in a strangers personal vehicle and relying on Uber’s worthless seal of approval.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I’ve never used any ride service, but can someone comment whether the terms and conditions specify that all credits, regardless of reason, will come as Uber Bucks?

Just curious but too lazy to research myself.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Ktorrence wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm Consider yourself lucky to be alive and use a taxi from now on. It amazes me how people feel so safe and confident getting in a strangers personal vehicle and relying on Uber’s worthless seal of approval.
lol literally everything you said about Uber applies to a taxi.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Jags4186 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm
Ktorrence wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm Consider yourself lucky to be alive and use a taxi from now on. It amazes me how people feel so safe and confident getting in a strangers personal vehicle and relying on Uber’s worthless seal of approval.
lol literally everything you said about Uber applies to a taxi.
Indeed. I have never felt more unsafe than in a NYC taxi heading to LGA that felt held together with two bolts and was driven by someone who could not have passed a licensing test.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

How is that different than getting in a taxi at 10pm in Budapest? I've traveled domestically and internationally for 3 decades and Uber/Lyft are a godsend compared to taxis.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

I would focus on minimizing annoyance. Right now, you're annoyed. If you take extra steps without the resolution that you want, will you be more annoyed?

For advice, I'd let it be and either use the $20 or give to somebody. If it really annoys you, don't ever use Uber again, and you've spoken with your wallet. I would not get less annoyed by trying to stick it to them.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Getting UBER Cash for a refund is a scam.
I had a problem with UBER Eats, and the customer service gave me a UBER Cash credit, but I couldn't spend it.
When I placed my next order, the UBER Cash balance was drained and then the app complained I underpaid on my credit card by the amount of
the UBER Cash credit that was spent. Tried escalating but they just had no clue, didn't fix it and I just gave up.

I would avoid UBER, they are just a terrible company.

Never had issues with Lyft nor Grubhub nor Doordash.
Only reason I used Uber Eats was my employer gifted us instead of holiday parties, but using on my own a few times I ran into this scam of a practice.
No reason to continue using Uber IMO.

Post by 3000 »

newyorker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am Dude, you already got the credit back. Use it next time. Why live so difficult?
+1 So true. Use it towards an Uber Eats order if not for a ride.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

beyou wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:24 pm Getting UBER Cash for a refund is a scam.
I had a problem with UBER Eats, and the customer service gave me a UBER Cash credit, but I couldn't spend it.
When I placed my next order, the UBER Cash balance was drained and then the app complained I underpaid on my credit card by the amount of
the UBER Cash credit that was spent. Tried escalating but they just had no clue, didn't fix it and I just gave up.

I would avoid UBER, they are just a terrible company.

Never had issues with Lyft nor Grubhub nor Doordash.
Only reason I used Uber Eats was my employer gifted us instead of holiday parties, but using on my own a few times I ran into this scam of a practice.
No reason to continue using Uber IMO.
I don't know about interfering with market forces by capping food delivery services, but if Uber takes 20-30% and doesn't make a profit, I'm not sure how that serves restaurants or customers. Maybe the drivers profit a little, the Uber employees a little more and mostly Uber management. Someone is footing the bill between the restaurants, customers and right now, most likely the Uber investors. And that's more and more you and me as it makes it way into the index funds. On second thought, since I own VTSMX, please don't sue Uber. Use the $20 credit for transportation service or order food and help my tiny portion of ownership grow.

When Will Uber And Lyft Run Out Of Cash?
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-fund ... -out-cash/
VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares reports 0.78% increase in ownership of UBER / Uber Technologies Inc
2021-11-29 - VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares has filed a NPORT-P form disclosing ownership of 37,282,878 shares of Uber Technologies Inc (US:UBER) with total holdings valued at $1,670,272,934 USD as of 2021-09-30. VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares had filed a previous NPORT-P on 2021-08-30 disclosing 36,993,120 shares of Uber Technologies Inc at a value of $1,854,095,174 USD. This represents a change in shares of 0.78 percent and a change in value of -9.91 percent during the quarter.
https://fintel.io/so/us/uber/vanguard-i ... tor-shares
Even though Uber takes a cut of between 20 to 30 percent of all orders, it has yet to make a profit.
https://www.businessofapps.com/data/ube ... tatistics/

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08 ... it-be.html
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Option A! Let the credit card company deal with it.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Trism

Post by Trism »

Have someone you know refer you to Uber Eats. You'll get a code for $20 off a $25 order (and they'll get $10).

Use that with your existing $20 Uber Cash and spend it all on food (+service fees), take a night off from cooking, and enjoy your pizza / Chinese / Greek / whatever.

Even if you are only an occasional Uber user, over the long run you will spend considerably more money if you only have one app on your phone.

Prices for identical rides between Uber and Lyft can vary dramatically. I almost always check both before ordering a ride.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Trism wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 am Have someone you know refer you to Uber Eats. You'll get a code for $20 off a $25 order (and they'll get $10).

Use that with your existing $20 Uber Cash and spend it all on food (+service fees), take a night off from cooking, and enjoy your pizza / Chinese / Greek / whatever.
Or, enjoy
1) the wrong order delivered to you with no realistic way to reach your delivery driver
2) your order delivered cold an hour later because the driver is also delivering for Doordash and making multiple runs in an area convenient to him
3) important pieces of your order not picked up or delivered, again with no way of reaching the driver (your large sweet tea, anyone)?
and more Uber Eats fake money returned to you as a courtesy for all of the trouble, when all you really wanted was your darn money back you should never have been charged.

*All of these scenarios have happened to us in this month of January using Uber Eats.
Trism

Post by Trism »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:22 am
Trism wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 am Have someone you know refer you to Uber Eats. You'll get a code for $20 off a $25 order (and they'll get $10).

Or, enjoy
1) the wrong order delivered to you with no realistic way to reach your delivery driver
2) your order delivered cold an hour later because the driver is also delivering for Doordash and making multiple runs in an area convenient to him
3) important pieces of your order not picked up or delivered, again with no way of reaching the driver (your large sweet tea, anyone)?
and more Uber Eats fake money returned to you as a courtesy for all of the trouble, when all you really wanted was your darn money back you should never have been charged.

*All of these scenarios have happened to us in this month of January using Uber Eats.
Recently we had a single incorrect item out of four items, and reported the problem via the app. They instantly refunded our entire order.

The world isn't perfect, and it's not like OP can use the Uber Cash at Costco, or put it toward a new Subaru.