How did you purchase wine glasses? Beginner here

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Orangutan

How did you purchase wine glasses? Beginner here

Post by Orangutan »

Good morning,

I am interested in purchasing 4 wine glasses. There seem to be many different types. Do Bogleheads own every type (do I need more than 4?)

My criteria is: Reasonably priced, prefer only buying one type if possible, and will impress dates (I am on the market for a girlfriend and am beginning to cook more dishes that I may drink wine with anyways).

I will note that I am a beginner and do not yet know much about wine, but I am taking up new hobbies this year (including tennis).

Thank you in advance.
UpperNwGuy

Re: How did you purchase wine glasses? Beginner here

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Start by buying 2 generic red wine glasses and 2 generic white wine glasses. Later on you can expand to having separate glasses for cabernet/merlot, pinot noir, oaked chardonnay, and sauvignon blanc. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get to the end state. Learn as you go.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Our beginning take was to purchase four, larger glasses that are typically used with red wines since those were preferred. We pretty quickly noticed that some others prefer white generally or in warmer months but served in the same larger glasses. Others that were more sophisticated mentioned that white is often served in smaller glasses, eventually leading to another purchase of four. Generally, assume there will be those who are much more into all the nuances than you, acknowledge you are a beginner, and you will readily discover the importance of glasses, wine, wine bottle openers, preferences for red/white and a whole lot more than you may want to act upon but that will educate. You might even discover that some of those women you want to date would enjoy educating you. It is a daunting area like many others since there are infinite possibilities for beginners and long time wine drinkers as well. We figure that if we have more glasses than bottles of wine in reserve that we have too many glasses or are drinking too much wine.

Tim
Bogle7

Spent lots of money

Post by Bogle7 »

Buy these https://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-Europe ... 01M4L802L/
Why?
1. White size can be used for all colors.
2, Comfortable size.
3. At $6/stem, if you break one, oh well.

Since 1970, I have owned:
12 Orrefors champagne flutes - one left
12 Orrefors wine glasses - 0 remaining
18 Waterford wine glasses - 0 remaining (these were $60/stem in the 1970s)
12 Stuart wine glasses - 12 remaining
6 Stuart champagne flutes - 5 remaining

Our everyday wine glasses are: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ste ... B07376L9FC stemless. We are not in the market for boy/girl friends.
Bought 8 - 5 remain

If your prospective girlfriends are into reading the etched label on the glass, then look at Reidel's lower priced lines.

P.S. None of these glasses will hold a tennis ball.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

You could get a set for every varietal out there (chardonnay, pinot noir, etc.), but a sane middle ground for most people would be a set for white and a set for red. I prefer stemless as they are less likely to be knocked over.

For everyday use, I would also look for lead-free crystal.

As for impressing dates, I suppose that would depend on how much of an oenophile your potential date is. I probably wouldn't want to date anyone who would turn up their nose just because my stemware wasn't good enough.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I love the Riedel stemless wine goblets, but that’s me. They were first wine glass purchases.
LFS1234

Re: Spent lots of money

Post by LFS1234 »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am Buy these https://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-Europe ... 01M4L802L/
Why?
2, Comfortable size.
4. They fit in dishwashers (although hand washing may be preferred if you don't have an appropriate dishwasher or good water)
5. You can have more than one glass without overimbibing

Twenty years ago, I had multiple sets of specialty wineglasses. The red ones were huge and cumbersome to wash. The most expensive ones had exceedingly thin glass and were even more susceptible to breakage than the rest.

I now drink all wine from white wine glasses. Generic white wine Riedels, nothing too fancy. It is much more important to serve your wine at a proper temperature (few pay attention to this), and to choose your wine well.

I have taken part in many wine tastings and wine tours, including very high end ones, both domestically and abroad. The tasting glasses that professionals use look very much like white wine glasses. The French drink their champagne from .... white wine glasses.

To the OP: I suggest you consider signing up for WSET Level 1. (Wine & Spirits Education Trust) You may find this highly enjoyable; consider going with a friend. This is an introductory one-day wine education course that appeals equally to professionals and amateurs. I will send you a specific recommendation by PM (I see you're in NYC).
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:39 am I love the Riedel stemless wine goblets, but that’s me. They were first wine glass purchases.
I bought some of these. I use them quite often. For a date I would use stemmed glasses.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

good advice here so far.

i think a total of 4 glasses is good for you. 2 red 2 white. and i agree that date night dinner should have stemmed glasses.

when i bought my set, somebody gave me bad advice, and i'm repeating it here so you don't make the mistake i did. they told me that over the years, i would probably have large gatherings where i need a whole lot of glasses at once, and, sometimes they will break, and it will be hard to buy more of the same thing years down the line. therefore, when i find a style i like i should get a dozen red, a dozen white, and like, 8 doubles cocktail glasses. i still have them all, unbroken, only ever use 1 or 2.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

These are the glasses I’ve been purchasing recently. Very good quality, durable, and complimented by guests. This is a set of four red and four white.

https://madeincookware.com/products/win ... 0d3c242a2e

I’ve bought Riedels for years, but these are more durable.

Now, you just need some good wine. :beer
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Just drink the Boone's Farm straight from the bottle. Saves money for FIRE
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

For party use, we have 12 red and 12 white that we purchased on sale at Macy's. They are inexpensive and fairly durable and last forever.

We also have some cut crystal ones we use when it's a more intimate group.

When it's just DW and I, we use the one-off glasses we got at wine tastings (the local vineyard has buy-by-the-glass in which we can keep the glass).

It's rarely worth it to spend $$$ on wine glasses. Especially since they come on sale at department stores all the time.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

+1 for stemware, though if OP loves stemless glassware that would seem fine, too.

If space is at all a concern, I would suggest maybe just ordering a pair each for white and red wine from a place like Crate & Barrel. OP could order more of the same style later, as needed. To be safe, they could ask C&B which styles are considered classics in the lineup and are expected to remain available in the future.

In my experience with red wine sediment may stain the bottom of the wine glass. Not sure if it's our particular glasses or we just don't rinse them out soon enough. In any case, for that reason OP may want to think twice about using the same glasses for both red and white wine. Put another way, perhaps consider getting a pair for white wine and another pair to serve red wine (could be same style of glass but larger bowl for red wine, for example).

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-a ... -glasses/1
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I have a variety of small (under 4 0z glasses) that I use for wine. I’m going for the peasant vibe. I have depression glass, one made by one of my favorite pottery makers, an orange one from the 60’s, etched glass, etc. whatever is small & strikes my fancy.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Wine is all about ambiance. So, stemmed glasses. How many? Not too many because you have to store them and that can be a pain. Also, you want thin ones. Better mouth feel than a thick lipped glass. Elegant, and you need that in the girlfriend search. If you are going to serve wine to a gal, then I would expect you have picked a certain type of girl. And that type will be most amenable to a stemmed glass that is thin.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I would absolutely get glasses that won't tip over:

https://www.amazon.com/JoyJolt-Cosmos-C ... 302&sr=8-8
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I agree with the glasses for white and red wines... I would research on line for images of the shapes and look at volume. Before buying NEW glasses - if you live in an area with lots of thrift or resale stores - I would check the stores for the type of glasses you want - you may need to buy a set of 3 glasses or 5 glasses :) but sometimes you find even numbered sets. Second hand modern wine glasses in my area tend to go for $1.00 to $1.50 per glass. I'm pretty sure the glasses were a lot more per glass when they were originally purchased. Sometimes you can score "crystal" glasses. Think of it as a "hunt" and that you may have to go back over a couple weeks (a month) to get the type of glasses you are looking for.

People buy and are gifted wine glasses all the time... I suspect with all the new year resolutions to "declutter" you may see a glut of perfectly good glass ware at your local resale shops. All the "no longer a set because one broke" and "I don't like these glasses anymore" and the "Why! Why! do I have 18 wine glasses? We're a couple and we rarely entertain - some of these are getting donated!" glassses wind up in 2nd hand and resale stores.

I had lots of different styles of wine glasses to go with different types of wines - but over time it's pretty much degraded to drinking wine out of vintage bar ware glasses or vintage wine glasses. I have a handful of whiskey/brandy glasses (all second hand) and some glasses I like to drink mead out of - even though they aren't the right shape.

2nd hand shops let you sample and use a lot of different styles and when you are done with a set you can just donate it back.

Have fun with the glassware!
Thos

Post by Thos »

Hi - long term professional winemaker here - so I'm probably not your best reference here as my friends know I'm not adverse to the occasional jelly jar use. Lots of good recommendations above. I particularly like the thrift store to start idea - try them and trash them if not comfortable.

I would strongly suggest avoiding glasses with super thin stems - those are designed to break and generate repeat business for the stem ware manufacturer. Riedel (and others) are infamous for this, but of course no one in the business wants to say that too loud as we're all trying to look sophisticated.

A standard pour of wine is generally defined as 5 oz. You want a big enough bowl to swirl the wine comfortably to release the aromas/bouquet of the wine. A narrower mouth on the bowl helps contain the aroma and just as important reduces the likelihood of spilling the contents while swirling. An easy suggestion is to swirl the glass with the base flat on the table - something I frequently do since I'm not out to impress anyone.

Riedel and others sell glasses for specific varietal wines, these are purported to enhance the tasting experience for the specific varietal. While I have no doubt that glass design can affect aroma retention within the bowl, but I can see no way of testing this "blind" and so question all "results". Most wine professionals like the idea and so do not give my position any credence. Remember the stemware companies are in the business to sell you as many stems as possible. I would avoid buying varietal specific glasses until you've outgrown the urge. There is one stemware producer who has a line with a slightly dimpled bowl interior - this increases the surface area and should improve volitalization of aromas - their name eludes me at the moment.

You should expect to hand wash any good glasses - carefully - as witnessed by the 8 stitches in my right hand. What I've found works really well is to put the glasses in the sink with enough water to cover - adding ~¼ tsp baking soda to the water. Put a drop or two of liquid dishwashing detergent on an appropriately sized sponge. Leave the water running into the gasses sink at a moderate pace. Wash the glass, then put back in the sink to remove the soap, then rinse in running water, place tilted in rack to drain, repeat until finished. Use little to no pressure - especially on thin glass. Dry as necessary with lint free cloth. I do not pre-rinse my used wine glasses as I'm in a hard water area. If there is dried wine in the glass - just let it dissolve in initial soak with the baking soda water.

So - something with an 8-10 oz bowl in a form that appeals to your aesthetic sense. One size is fine, two sizes are fine, three sizes are fine - or you could go as I do and have a dozen or more types. Just do what you're comfortable with. Remember a 12 oz bowl filled is half a bottle plus of wine and although "alcohol is the spirit of wine, it is not it's soul". Drink less, enjoy it more.

More important than glass ware is a serving temperature which makes the wine refreshing - not cloying. Traditional serving temperature for red wine (and Sherry, Marsala, Madera and Port types) is "room temperature" - by which we mean 65-70°F; perhaps not the room you had in mind. Too warm reds bring out the worst in wine. White wines are recommended at "Cellar" temperature; say 50-60°F (I prefer closer to 60°). The 40°F that most refrigerators are set for will obscure wine aroma very well. This can be a benefit to less well constructed wines and ones with an overly sweet "balance" in the mouth. If you need a cold wine - say as picnic/patio fare on a hot day - a strongly scented wine such as Riesling, Muscat or Sauvignon blanc is your best bet. (An ice cube often helps any wine in that circumstance.) Finally the only wine recommended to be served in the 45-50°F range is Champagne or other sparklers. This started with the traditional cellar temperature in Champagne, but also serves to improve retention of the bubbles that define these wines. These same bubbles bring out the bouquet and so don't need swirling.

Finally - the most important thing about wine. If you like it - it's a good wine. If you really like it, it's a very good wine and you might want to get it again. Somewhere along the way you will quite likely have a wine that just opens your mind to how intriguing the whole mystery of wine can be - that's a great wine. (For myself, that was a 1945 Pommard at thirty years of age and why I've pursued making great Pinot ever since.) If you don't like a wine highly acclaimed by others - it's a poor wine, save your money.

You do not need anyone else's approval for your taste.

A final, older brother type comment. If you're using the fancy stemware and expensive wines to attract a mate - be careful. These are the types of lures which may catch you a "high maintenance" spouse, not a Bogelhead!

Have fun - it's an interesting ride. Tom
testing321

Post by testing321 »

My wife goes to Goodwill, and over time purchased an eclectic collection of high quality glasses for 99 cents each. Guests appreciate the quality and the variety.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 to Crate & Barrel (C&B).

I have an extensive collection of wine and bar glasses. The ones that get the most use and guests love are the inexpensive oversized red and white stemmed wine glasses from C&B. <$10 per glass (pre-pandemic).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

We bought ours from IKEA, reasonably priced and durable.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Orangutan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:24 am
...will impress dates (I am on the market for a girlfriend and am beginning to cook more dishes that I may drink wine with anyways).
I query what kind of dating market you're in where a home-cooked meal would be overshadowed by the quality of the glassware you use to serve the wine. But I've been out of the market a long time.

If you want to get into wine, I agree with the suggestion to get a basic set for white and red, and see where your tastes take you. But if you're attempting some sort of status or cultural signaling, it's what is in the bottle that counts more than how it's served. A decent wine at the right temperature will taste better out of an old shoe than many wines will from the finest stemware.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I've been extremely pleased with these:
https://gabriel-glasinternational.com/
mkc

Post by mkc »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 pm
...will impress dates (I am on the market for a girlfriend and am beginning to cook more dishes that I may drink wine with anyways).
I query what kind of dating market you're in where a home-cooked meal would be overshadowed by the quality of the glassware you use to serve the wine. But I've been out of the market a long time.
Reminds me of a friend years ago - he had an arrangement with a local Italian restaurant - he would take his mother's old, cast off casserole pan to them to have a lasagna or baked ziti prepped in it when he wanted to impress a new date with his cooking skills...

That said, TJ Maxx/Homegoods is a great source for affordable, nicer wine glasses. I've often seen Riedel and other known brands there at great prices. World Market is another good source (our "we don't care if a guest breaks these" glasses are from World Market).
Topic Author
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am Buy these https://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-Europe ... 01M4L802L/
Why?
2, Comfortable size.

Our everyday wine glasses are: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ste ... B07376L9FC stemless. We are not in the market for boy/girl friends.
Bought 8 - 5 remain

If your prospective girlfriends are into reading the etched label on the glass, then look at Reidel's lower priced lines.

Thank you, I have purchased the wine glasses from the first link. I have been waiting to use my Amazon gift certificate.

Additionally, I was discussing my glassware dilemma with my boss today and she will be gifting me two old wine glasses still in the box. These are called the Schott Zwiesel Tritan Forte Claret Burgundy. They seem comically large, but I did not want to decline so I may use them for water.
Topic Author
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Thos wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 pm Hi - long term professional winemaker here - so I'm probably not your best reference here as my friends know I'm not adverse to the occasional jelly jar use. Lots of good recommendations above. I particularly like the thrift store to start idea - try them and trash them if not comfortable.

I would strongly suggest avoiding glasses with super thin stems - those are designed to break and generate repeat business for the stem ware manufacturer. Riedel (and others) are infamous for this, but of course no one in the business wants to say that too loud as we're all trying to look sophisticated.

A standard pour of wine is generally defined as 5 oz. You want a big enough bowl to swirl the wine comfortably to release the aromas/bouquet of the wine. A narrower mouth on the bowl helps contain the aroma and just as important reduces the likelihood of spilling the contents while swirling. An easy suggestion is to swirl the glass with the base flat on the table - something I frequently do since I'm not out to impress anyone.

Riedel and others sell glasses for specific varietal wines, these are purported to enhance the tasting experience for the specific varietal. While I have no doubt that glass design can affect aroma retention within the bowl, but I can see no way of testing this "blind" and so question all "results". Most wine professionals like the idea and so do not give my position any credence. Remember the stemware companies are in the business to sell you as many stems as possible. I would avoid buying varietal specific glasses until you've outgrown the urge. There is one stemware producer who has a line with a slightly dimpled bowl interior - this increases the surface area and should improve volitalization of aromas - their name eludes me at the moment.

You should expect to hand wash any good glasses - carefully - as witnessed by the 8 stitches in my right hand. What I've found works really well is to put the glasses in the sink with enough water to cover - adding ~¼ tsp baking soda to the water. Put a drop or two of liquid dishwashing detergent on an appropriately sized sponge. Leave the water running into the gasses sink at a moderate pace. Wash the glass, then put back in the sink to remove the soap, then rinse in running water, place tilted in rack to drain, repeat until finished. Use little to no pressure - especially on thin glass. Dry as necessary with lint free cloth. I do not pre-rinse my used wine glasses as I'm in a hard water area. If there is dried wine in the glass - just let it dissolve in initial soak with the baking soda water.

So - something with an 8-10 oz bowl in a form that appeals to your aesthetic sense. One size is fine, two sizes are fine, three sizes are fine - or you could go as I do and have a dozen or more types. Just do what you're comfortable with. Remember a 12 oz bowl filled is half a bottle plus of wine and although "alcohol is the spirit of wine, it is not it's soul". Drink less, enjoy it more.

More important than glass ware is a serving temperature which makes the wine refreshing - not cloying. Traditional serving temperature for red wine (and Sherry, Marsala, Madera and Port types) is "room temperature" - by which we mean 65-70°F; perhaps not the room you had in mind. Too warm reds bring out the worst in wine. White wines are recommended at "Cellar" temperature; say 50-60°F (I prefer closer to 60°). The 40°F that most refrigerators are set for will obscure wine aroma very well. This can be a benefit to less well constructed wines and ones with an overly sweet "balance" in the mouth. If you need a cold wine - say as picnic/patio fare on a hot day - a strongly scented wine such as Riesling, Muscat or Sauvignon blanc is your best bet. (An ice cube often helps any wine in that circumstance.) Finally the only wine recommended to be served in the 45-50°F range is Champagne or other sparklers. This started with the traditional cellar temperature in Champagne, but also serves to improve retention of the bubbles that define these wines. These same bubbles bring out the bouquet and so don't need swirling.

Finally - the most important thing about wine. If you like it - it's a good wine. If you really like it, it's a very good wine and you might want to get it again. Somewhere along the way you will quite likely have a wine that just opens your mind to how intriguing the whole mystery of wine can be - that's a great wine. (For myself, that was a 1945 Pommard at thirty years of age and why I've pursued making great Pinot ever since.) If you don't like a wine highly acclaimed by others - it's a poor wine, save your money.

You do not need anyone else's approval for your taste.

A final, older brother type comment. If you're using the fancy stemware and expensive wines to attract a mate - be careful. These are the types of lures which may catch you a "high maintenance" spouse, not a Bogelhead!

Have fun - it's an interesting ride. Tom
Thank you very much for this in-depth reply. I am sure I will often refer back to it as I progress through this new hobby.

And yes, NYC has it's temptations but I am definitely looking for a Boglehead!
mkc

Post by mkc »

Orangutan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:20 pm
Why?
2, Comfortable size.

Bought 8 - 5 remain

Thank you, I have purchased the wine glasses from the first link. I have been waiting to use my Amazon gift certificate.

Additionally, I was discussing my glassware dilemma with my boss today and she will be gifting me two old wine glasses still in the box. These are called the Schott Zwiesel Tritan Forte Claret Burgundy. They seem comically large, but I did not want to decline so I may use them for water.
Do some image searching to see how full one normally pours a wine glass. While those may seem large, you actually don't "fill 'em up". There's usually a lot of airspace at the top for breathing room. On our glasses, I usually pour just enough to hit the widest point, which is typically less than 1/4 full.

I Googled those glasses you were given, and a pour in our house would be about 20% of the height of the bowl - just to the widest point.
Bogle7

Drink better

Post by Bogle7 »

If you are trying to impress by drinking fine Pinot Noir, then https://www.riedel.com/en/shop/sommelie ... -440000016 is perfect as it holds 1 liter.

If she is not impressed, dump her.
Topic Author
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

mkc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 pm
Orangutan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:20 pm
Why?
2, Comfortable size.

Bought 8 - 5 remain

Do some image searching to see how full one normally pours a wine glass. While those may seem large, you actually don't "fill 'em up". There's usually a lot of airspace at the top for breathing room. On our glasses, I usually pour just enough to hit the widest point, which is typically less than 1/4 full.

I Googled those glasses you were given, and a pour in our house would be about 20% of the height of the bowl - just to the widest point.
Thank you. Yes, the concern is I will standardize the pour amount irrespective of glass size and then get myself or guests too tipsy. In college, I once woke up in a park jungle gym - but am trying to avoid that now. When the glasses arrive, I will do a test and try pouring the suggested 20%.
Topic Author
Orangutan

Re: Drink better

Post by Orangutan »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:44 pm If you are trying to impress by drinking fine Pinot Noir, then https://www.riedel.com/en/shop/sommelie ... -440000016 is perfect as it holds 1 liter.

If she is not impressed, dump her.
$125. Oh my. I didn't know glasses this expensive existed.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Orangutan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:24 am My criteria is: Reasonably priced, prefer only buying one type if possible, and will impress dates (I am on the market for a girlfriend and am beginning to cook more dishes that I may drink wine with anyways).
I'll go with the stalwart Mason jar. It will impress every single person who owns more than one flannel shirt.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I always preferred the old-timey, Italian-style short wine glasses, but I never tried to impress a potential mate with my glassware.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

We've owned many different types of wine glasses over the years, but these Vileroy & Boch Octavie Goblets have been our absolute favorites. So much so that I bought several extras to replace the ones we will inevitably break because we want these to be our "forever" wine glasses:

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-vi ... gLyafD_BwE

They have a lovely, substantial weight, make a beautiful and resonant "ting!" when clinked and, in our opinion, improve the taste of every wine we drink out of them. We use them for both reds and whites, since we see no reason or advantage to owning separate sets. Many here recommend stemless glasses, but personally we detest them. They seem to ruin the wine mystique plus the heat of you hands is transferred into the wines. Important since many people mistakenly serve reds too warm already. But that's another story altogether
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We had hundreds of different wine glasses over the last 45 years from everyday low cost to fussy finest crystal. Now after streamlining and downsizing multiple times, we are down to 8 stemless 10 ounce goblets. Each glass has a different wave or dot pattern etched on it so guests don't confuse their glass for another. I think they were about $40 bucks. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pmare down to 8 stemless 10 ounce goblets.
But, you are not trying to acquire a girlfriend.
4runner818

Post by 4runner818 »

I bought a 12 pack set from Cost Plus World Market. Just looked up online and I'm not seeing them so they maybe discontinued. Have used them for going on 5 years now. So far broke 2 - the other 10 work great. Always dishwash them and am more than satisfied.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

The type and brands mentioned in this tread are available at your local Goodwill Store. I’ve picked some up for $1.99 each, same glasses we’ve paid $40/50 for each one before.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

higher end wine glass employ laser-cutting to form a sharper and thinner rim. its a difference you can perceive. delicate glasses also feel "finer"

theres an idea that the shape of the glass affects the aeration and aroma and such. for my drinking, its hogwash. riedel pushed this concept.

otherwise i buy the brand with heritage and history. the 3 are schott/zwiesel and spiegelau (german) and riedel (austrian). i enjoy the zwiesel 1872 series
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

here's what we did:

1. Bought train tickets to Paris
2. Went to Paris Baccarat store
3. Had 2 sets of crystal stemware sent home

Who cares about the wine! Memories are priceless!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I had a beer/wine set with a mariner motif etched in the glass available in Offer UP.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

tim1999 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:08 pm I always preferred the old-timey, Italian-style short wine glasses, but I never tried to impress a potential mate with my glassware.
We use the same ones!

We also have a wide variety of stemmed glasses. Long ago when we first started geeking out on wine, we bought a lot of Reidels for every imaginable variety. Over a decade later nearly every one of them has broken. Nowadays we use survivors, our mismatched glasses from various winery trips or the ones shown above. Long ago we decided that the shape really didn't matter that much to our ability to appreciate the wines.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

I tend to agree with the above posters about buying inexpensive but fine stemmed glass. We consider wine glasses to be short-lived items, so forget about the fancy German and Austrian glassware as they all end up in the trash sooner or later.

Besides, if you really want to impress the ladies, get a decanter.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

I was in a thrift shop recently and fine Offerors wine glassed (online they sell for over $60 each) were purchasable for $30 for 4. Likewise a friend who had too many and wanted less clutter was giving away very nice sets.

Fine glasses last a long time, if cared for, so I would ask around if any older folks you know have a surplus. You might be suprised. A friend who was moving and had wealthy parents offered us a set of sterling silverware and chrystal glasses for free. I looked them up and they sell for $5k. Since they are a pain to polish and we wouldnt use them, we declined.

I might ask around or look at a thift shop for higher quality used ones.
former_academic80

Post by former_academic80 »

Piling on here with the thrift store recommendation. I got two amazing whiskey glasses at a Goodwill for $1 each. They always have a good assortment of interesting glasses.

I don't usually pay attention to wine glasses in the one I go to, but I know they have some.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

if you want some non-conventional wine glass with more decoration and history, look for Czech glassware. The Bohemian region was a center of glassmaking for many centuries.
Jrob6

Post by Jrob6 »

OP - piling on here with my two cents...
+1,000 to the reply from Thos - couldn't agree more with almost everything he wrote. Some points I'll reiterate:

Glasses should enhance the aroma and taste experience, so a format that has a larger bowl with a narrow-ish opening works.

A sub-point to make on Thos' thoughts about temperature for serving...almost all of us have a tendency to drink white wines too cold. An easy rule of thumb for serving is to put your reds in the fridge for 20-30 min before serving and taking your whites OUT of the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving.

And to echo Thos - drink what you like! If you stick with it long enough, your tastes will inevitably change, but that's part of the journey.

You didn't ask, but a great way to learn what you like is to find a reputable local wine shop that does free tastings. This can be an easy way to learn about what you like and what you don't. It can also help to then let someone in the shop know what wines you like, and they can steer you to other recommendations. I think you mention you're in NY. If the city, then Chambers Street is phenomenal, but there are tons of great options there.

best of luck!
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I went to TJ Maxx and bought a 4-box of Libbey Red Wine Glasses and a 4-box of Libbey White Wine Glasses (sold as an 8-pack from Libbey: https://shop.libbey.com/collections/ste ... s-set-of-8). Those have slowly broken over the past ten years, and I only have one of each left. I bought a 12-box of Libbey "All-Purpose" wine glasses (https://shop.libbey.com/products/libbey ... -set-of-12). I still have 10 of them. They have a plain, classic style; they have medium-thickness glass to be a bit more durable without feeling like drinking out of a jar; and they have a big enough "bowl" to hold 5 oz. while filled halfway (so you can swirl the wine around a bit). I wouldn't get anything fancier than those options unless you make wine tasting a major hobby.

Nobody is going to look askance at simple glassware, as long as it doesn't look tacky.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 pm

If you want to get into wine, I agree with the suggestion to get a basic set for white and red, and see where your tastes take you. But if you're attempting some sort of status or cultural signaling, it's what is in the bottle that counts more than how it's served. A decent wine at the right temperature will taste better out of an old shoe than many wines will from the finest stemware.
Appealing glassware as part of a nice table setting can definitely affect the mood and make a meal more special.

OP, pick something crystal that looks nice to you and fits your budget. Dont worry about boglehead suggestions of durability. I have put my waterford crystal in the dishwasher regularly for a decade. Still crystal clear.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:29 pm Appealing glassware as part of a nice table setting can definitely affect the mood and make a meal more special.

OP, pick something crystal that looks nice to you and fits your budget. Dont worry about boglehead suggestions of durability. I have put my waterford crystal in the dishwasher regularly for a decade. Still crystal clear.
Exactly. My Zwiesel also goes in the machine washer. Only time one broke was when cleaner knocked it off the table.
Wine is generally a celebratory drink. Doesn't hurt to serve it in a glass with something a little special to it - especially when he is specifically seeking it. Not everything has to be ascetic.