Jetboil stove -do you cook in it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

Jetboil stove -do you cook in it?

Post by JD2775 »

I haven't been camping in years but decided to get back into it recently and one of the things I bought was a Jetboil Minimo. I can't find a clear answer online on whether or not its ok to cook in this thing? It's obviously good for boiling water, but what about cooking? i.e. mixing pasta, or rice dishes, or chili etc....one thing I don't want to do is to burn the container, or permanently stain it, etc. Should I just stick to boiling water with it? I also bought a Jetboil skillet so I do have an alternative for some food.
sailaway

Re: Jetboil stove -do you cook in it?

Post by sailaway »

Most people don't cook in it just because it is harder to clean on the trail. You won't do any damage to it.
Sprucebark

Post by Sprucebark »

If you are camping I wouldn’t worry about a “stain”.

From the looks of it, the device puts out heat. As long as you can keep the pan from falling over and you don’t deplete your heat source, you should be able to cook with it.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

sailaway wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm Most people don't cook in it just because it is harder to clean on the trail. You won't do any damage to it.
Thanks. My usage will be mostly car camping, not backpacking and cooking on the trail. So cleaning it wouldn't be the issue. If it can't be damaged that makes me feel a little better. I just wasn't sure if it was easy to stain, or have a lingering scent etc...
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 pm I haven't been camping in years but decided to get back into it recently and one of the things I bought was a Jetboil Minimo. I can't find a clear answer online on whether or not its ok to cook in this thing? It's obviously good for boiling water, but what about cooking? i.e. mixing pasta, or rice dishes, or chili etc....one thing I don't want to do is to burn the container, or permanently stain it, etc. Should I just stick to boiling water with it? I also bought a Jetboil skillet so I do have an alternative for some food.
I think the system is intended for boiling water only. No experience with the Minimo, but have significant experience with the Flash. You are correct that you want to keep the vessel clean, no burnt on food or gunk, including the fins underneath the vessel. Doing so makes it heat unevenly and therefore more prone burning-on more gunk.

As you have probably experienced, the Jetboil puts out A LOT of heat. The transition from not boiling to definitely boiling happens quickly.

Do no under any circumstances place premixed chai in these things. You think you'll get to it in time. But you won't.

Negative bonus points if you are using the modular lid, as you will create a very impressive geyser of molten chai on top of a blowtorch.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:40 pm
sailaway wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm Most people don't cook in it just because it is harder to clean on the trail. You won't do any damage to it.
Thanks. My usage will be mostly car camping, not backpacking and cooking on the trail. So cleaning it wouldn't be the issue. If it can't be damaged that makes me feel a little better. I just wasn't sure if it was easy to stain, or have a lingering scent etc...
It has a non stick coating, so be sure to use plastic or wood utensils if you are stirring or scraping anything.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Pinotage wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm
JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 pm I haven't been camping in years but decided to get back into it recently and one of the things I bought was a Jetboil Minimo. I can't find a clear answer online on whether or not its ok to cook in this thing? It's obviously good for boiling water, but what about cooking? i.e. mixing pasta, or rice dishes, or chili etc....one thing I don't want to do is to burn the container, or permanently stain it, etc. Should I just stick to boiling water with it? I also bought a Jetboil skillet so I do have an alternative for some food.
I think the system is intended for boiling water only. No experience with the Minimo, but have significant experience with the Flash. You are correct that you want to keep the vessel clean, no burnt on food or gunk, including the fins underneath the vessel. Doing so makes it heat unevenly and therefore more prone burning-on more gunk.

As you have probably experienced, the Jetboil puts out A LOT of heat. The transition from not boiling to definitely boiling happens quickly.

Do no under any circumstances place premixed chai in these things. You think you'll get to it in time. But you won't.

Negative bonus points if you are using the modular lid, as you will create a very impressive geyser of molten chai on top of a blowtorch.
Good info, thanks. From what I understand the Minimo has an adjustable flame whereas the Flash does not, which may make cooking a little easier? Either way it sounds like care needs to be taken if cooking in it.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 pm
Pinotage wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm

Good info, thanks. From what I understand the Minimo has an adjustable flame whereas the Flash does not, which may make cooking a little easier? Either way it sounds like care needs to be taken if cooking in it.
Adjustable flame will absolutely help, and looks like the Minimo can be used with a pan/skillet/etc...

Just want to avoid boiling over and getting gunk on the fins, burner, and piezo.

These systems make an absolutely awesome sound at full tilt.
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

The Flash is awesome, but not for cooking. Its sole function is quickly and violently boiling water, at which it's fantastic. You will not be able to regulate the heat output and find a happy medium suitable for cooking.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Is the pot-cup titanium? Super-light titanium is notoriously poor at "heat retention and distribution" -- which means even vigorous stirring can still result in burnt spots. If you do cook, keep the heat low.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

MJS wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:19 pm Is the pot-cup titanium? Super-light titanium is notoriously poor at "heat retention and distribution" -- which means even vigorous stirring can still result in burnt spots. If you do cook, keep the heat low.
It's anodized aluminum I believe
SunRainSnow

Post by SunRainSnow »

Hello - I'm a backpacker that uses the JetBoil Minimo to cook from scratch meals on the trail (I also use it to boil water but that takes no skill at all!). Before I transitioned to making meals from scratch on the trail I did some trial and error at home so it would be easier to clean up if I messed it up. The biggest (in fact only challenge I think) is to control the flame and mixing so there is some movement close to the flame to avoid burning. You have to keep it quite low as it is easy to burn food if it's too high, it's all trial and error. I burnt food at home and occasionally on the trial, but a small scrubber and water can clean it up in no time.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I have a JetBoil Sol Titanium system.
Great for boiling water.
Some soup like or soup based meals are okay in it and cleanup was not too bad.
Thicker foods or frying, stir frying, etc, were not worth cleaning if there's a lack of water or scarce. But, as you are car camping, you have enough water to do a good cleaning job. But, for on the go with limited water, I found it best just to use for boiling water for instant meals made outside of the stove container.
YMMV.

Our use was just to make lunches, etc, for ATV outings, etc.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
w5000

Post by w5000 »

I've had a Jetboil MiniMo for, not sure, maybe 5+ years now?

All the Jetboils excel at boiling water. They're faster than everything else out there, though there's one or two similar products now. The MiniMo has a (redesigned?) regulator so that you can simmer things on it. Other Jetboil models are basically either full on or full off.

I just use my Jetboil for boiling water -- tea and oatmeal for a quick breakfast. Or to boil water for rehydrating freeze-dried meals when we have a late day. They do sell have an adapter that you can use to put a regular pot/pan on the stove instead of needing to buy their custom designed pots/pans which have the special heat transfer stuff on the bottom.

To be honest, if you're car camping and going to cook regularly, I would just get one of those 2 burner propane stoves. That would be much more convenient that trying to keep from knocking over your Jetboil with pot/pan which will be top heavy. I've maybe cooked on my MiniMo once, and it's fine -- I don't mind the inconvenience of it since I do it so infrequently.
hudson

Post by hudson »

w5000 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am I've had a Jetboil MiniMo for, not sure, maybe 5+ years now?

All the Jetboils excel at boiling water. They're faster than everything else out there, though there's one or two similar products now. The MiniMo has a (redesigned?) regulator so that you can simmer things on it. Other Jetboil models are basically either full on or full off.

I just use my Jetboil for boiling water -- tea and oatmeal for a quick breakfast. Or to boil water for rehydrating freeze-dried meals when we have a late day. They do sell have an adapter that you can use to put a regular pot/pan on the stove instead of needing to buy their custom designed pots/pans which have the special heat transfer stuff on the bottom.

To be honest, if you're car camping and going to cook regularly, I would just get one of those 2 burner propane stoves. That would be much more convenient that trying to keep from knocking over your Jetboil with pot/pan which will be top heavy. I've maybe cooked on my MiniMo once, and it's fine -- I don't mind the inconvenience of it since I do it so infrequently.
I agree that if it simmers, you can cook in it.
I also agree that the jet boil isn't optimal for car camping. But, who cares about optimal! :)
If I have room, I bring one of these car camping: https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-EX60LW ... =8-19&th=1

On a car camp a year or two back, I fired up my 20 year old, MSR, white gas, classic, backpacking stove to make water for coffee.
Moments later my buddy fired up his jet boil for coffee water. It seemed like his water was boiling pronto. My water was still cold. I put my stove away; my buddy did the coffee/oatmeal water for the group.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

hudson wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:11 pm
w5000 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am I've had a Jetboil MiniMo for, not sure, maybe 5+ years now?

I agree that if it simmers, you can cook in it.
I also agree that the jet boil isn't optimal for car camping. But, who cares about optimal! :)
If I have room, I bring one of these car camping: https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-EX60LW ... =8-19&th=1

On a car camp a year or two back, I fired up my 20 year old, MSR, white gas, classic, backpacking stove to make water for coffee.
Moments later my buddy fired up his jet boil for coffee water. It seemed like his water was boiling pronto. My water was still cold. I put my stove away; my buddy did the coffee/oatmeal water for the group.
Oh I agree there are probably better alternatives for cooking, but the majority of my camping trips will be solo photography outings where I just make something quick by my truck. I don’t want to lug a bunch of cooking gear. My main concern is boiling water for coffee and if I can do some basic cooking either in the pot or with my attachment & skillet even better.
If I had a family or someone else I was consistently going with is definitely get something else more designed for cooking
waitforit

Post by waitforit »

Experienced backcountry camper here. In order to actually *cook* on a stove like this you need to think outside of the box a little bit. My suggestions are either:

Don't do it, or
Bring frozen/precooked meals, put water in your pot and warm your food via hot water bath method, or
If you absolutely must simmer in the pot directly - use extra water in the bottom to avoid scorching

I really, really hate trying to get food residue out of my pot. I have an MSR PocketRocket which is adjustable but I still don't try to 'cook' over it very often.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

waitforit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 pm Experienced backcountry camper here. In order to actually *cook* on a stove like this you need to think outside of the box a little bit. My suggestions are either:

Don't do it, or
Bring frozen/precooked meals, put water in your pot and warm your food via hot water bath method, or
If you absolutely must simmer in the pot directly - use extra water in the bottom to avoid scorching

I really, really hate trying to get food residue out of my pot. I have an MSR PocketRocket which is adjustable but I still don't try to 'cook' over it very often.
Thanks for that. I think I am going to play it safe and just cook in the skillet instead. I can boil water for coffee, oatmeal etc in the pot itself and just leave it at that.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

waitforit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 pm Experienced backcountry camper here. In order to actually *cook* on a stove like this you need to think outside of the box a little bit. My suggestions are either:

Don't do it, or

Campers here use oven bags to line their pots.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I would not even try. It's for boiling water. If you plan to simmer soups or cook fish or something get another stove.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

JD2775 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 pm

Oh I agree there are probably better alternatives for cooking, but the majority of my camping trips will be solo photography outings where I just make something quick by my truck. I don’t want to lug a bunch of cooking gear. My main concern is boiling water for coffee and if I can do some basic cooking either in the pot or with my attachment & skillet even better.
If I had a family or someone else I was consistently going with is definitely get something else more designed for cooking
If you're by the truck there's no reason to use a jetboil. Get a bigger, better stove. A jetboil is for carrying long distances on your back.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nothing wrong with the jetboil minimo stove for cooking and simmering. Same goes for a $15 BRS-3000T (weighs about 25 g) which is at the other end of the camping stove spectrum.

However, the choice of cooking pot or pan is going to make a huge difference. As folks here know, the Jetboil "system" is all about pots with built-in heat exchangers. One can buy heat exchanger pots separately for any stove. Also one can use non-heat exchanger pots and pans with any stove you want including Jetboil stoves. You can even use a cast-iron skillet with any stove you want.

I do not have a Jetboil stove, so to answer the thread title question: No, I cook with a different stove.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pmIf you're by the truck there's no reason to use a jetboil. Get a bigger, better stove. A jetboil is for carrying long distances on your back.
Well, Jetboil makes such a truck-camping stove: Jetboil Genesis 2-burner basecamp stove about $380.

I think there is no jetboil stove that I would want to carry long distances on my back. Not even the Jetboil Stash is light enough for me.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:40 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pmIf you're by the truck there's no reason to use a jetboil. Get a bigger, better stove. A jetboil is for carrying long distances on your back.
Well, Jetboil makes such a truck-camping stove: Jetboil Genesis 2-burner basecamp stove about $380.
That thing is sweet, and I did look at it...but $380 is more than I wanted to spend right now since I am not sure how often I will be doing camping outings like these. I'm gonna see how it goes the first cpl trips with the Jetboil minimo + skillet. If I find it to be ridiculous for how I am using it I can always add more or upgrade later. Hot water was the main concern initially. Who knows, maybe I'll get into backpacking too.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

delete, duplicate
White Coat Investor

I think there is no jetboil stove that I would want to carry long distances on my back. Not even the Jetboil Stash is light enough for me.
You are truly hardcore.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I'm off the subject a little...

I love that my friend carries a jetboil. I don't own one because it's too heavy and probably won't melt snow at 6000 feet elevation in February. I carry this one in the winter: https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/liquid-f ... 11782.html

During the warmer season, I carry a lightweight cannister stove that uses the same fuel as a jet boil.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:46 pm
That thing is sweet, and I did look at it...but $380 is more than I wanted to spend right now since I am not sure how often I will be doing camping outings like these. I'm gonna see how it goes the first cpl trips with the Jetboil minimo + skillet. If I find it to be ridiculous for how I am using it I can always add more or upgrade later. Hot water was the main concern initially. Who knows, maybe I'll get into backpacking too.
I know I'm late to the party here but another bit of info on keeping the container clean. While I was solo hiking the JMT, a guy hiked with me for part of the time. He made some kind of "crisp" type desert, rinsed out the cup part and left it out to dry. Apparently, he must have not done a very good job at it because sometime in the night an animal got a hold of it and took off. He wound up borrowing mine for the next several days but only to boil water.

That was a good lesson for me. I've only boiled water in mine. And BTW if you have one of those igniters be sure to bring back up matches. The igniters are notorious for failing. Happened to me on that trip too.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Carefreeap wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 amThat was a good lesson for me. I've only boiled water in mine. And BTW if you have one of those igniters be sure to bring back up matches. The igniters are notorious for failing. Happened to me on that trip too.
By "igniters" do you mean a little BIC disposable lighter? ;) I'd rather bring a 2nd mini-BIC than matches. Or a 1st mini-BIC.
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

I had never considered not being able to cook in my jetboil. I do it and it's fine. I'm generally cooking dehydrated things like soups/just add water meals but it's been ok.

I carry a jetboil sumo (not the lightest, but lighter than the bags of whiskey I usually also carry...) and use it in the winter when skiing above 10000 feet. It can be finicky to push button start in freezing temps with wind but if it is, I just use a lighter and off it goes.

The sumo makes me popular when I break out the french press in the morning and can make coffee for multiple people.

I agree that for car camping a two burner stove is nice. That camp chef linked earlier is where it's at, I have the camp chef everest which does well. My friend uses his 30+ year old coleman which works just as well.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I just looked up the jetboil sumo; it weighs 1 pound including the pot....not bad.

Did somebody say they work at 10K feet in the wind in the winter? I never had any luck with canisters in February at 6000 feet. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Can you count on it to melt snow?
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

I live in Colorado and routinely use my sumo in the winter in the Rockies. I've used jetboil and snow peak fuel. Getting the stove started is sometimes a pain but it works and once lit it'll definitely melt snow.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 am
Carefreeap wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 amThat was a good lesson for me. I've only boiled water in mine. And BTW if you have one of those igniters be sure to bring back up matches. The igniters are notorious for failing. Happened to me on that trip too.
By "igniters" do you mean a little BIC disposable lighter? ;) I'd rather bring a 2nd mini-BIC than matches. Or a 1st mini-BIC.
I meant the igniter on the Jet Boil.

I do actually carry waterproof matches but a BIC lighter could work as well. I'm still so old school in so many ways. :wink:
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Revision17

Post by Revision17 »

Related to the post of the liquid stove. Why do people use liquid stoves instead of propane for cold temperatures? Propane's boiling point is -44F, while isobutane is -11F (I realize canisters have some propane in them to make it more favorable). Gasoline freezes at -100F (I'm assuming white gas is similar). Liquid fuels look like a pain to work with, and a hazard compared to gas fuels.

I only do car camping in reasonably nice weather. So I may be missing something about why white gas is better than propane in the cold (except in extreme cold where propane can't boil).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Revision17 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 am Related to the post of the liquid stove. Why do people use liquid stoves instead of propane for cold temperatures? Propane's boiling point is -44F, while isobutane is -11F (I realize canisters have some propane in them to make it more favorable). Gasoline freezes at -100F (I'm assuming white gas is similar). Liquid fuels look like a pain to work with, and a hazard compared to gas fuels.

I only do car camping in reasonably nice weather. So I may be missing something about why white gas is better than propane in the cold (except in extreme cold where propane can't boil).
For backpacking, propane and its pressurized steel canisters are just too heavy to carry in a pack. They would be fine for car camping.

The lower pressure isobutane/propane mixture at least uses a lighter canister and is easily packed. There are techniques to keep it warm for winter use especially when not melting too much snow. But for winter, the white gas/naphtha stoves are a little heavier, but they really are not a pain to work with. The Whisperlite (linked previously) is really a classic.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

hudson wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 amDid somebody say they work at 10K feet in the wind in the winter? I never had any luck with canisters in February at 6000 feet. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Can you count on it to melt snow?
I can see not having luck, but if you sleep with a isopro (winter/4-season mix!) gas canister in your bag/quilt, then the fuel will be warm enough to immediately work. However, as gas expands it cools and I am sure you have observed how a gas canister cools when used unless some heat is reflected down from the pot to warm the canister. There are tricks like the Moulder strip to conduct some heat from the flame to the canister or placing the canister in a bath of liquid water (which you know is above freezing by definition) that will keep your gas canister stove working when cold. Also put the gas canister on a piece of insulating closed-cell foam and not directly on the cold snow or ice. But nothing wrong with a white gas stove in the winter either.
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 pm
hudson wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 amDid somebody say they work at 10K feet in the wind in the winter? I never had any luck with canisters in February at 6000 feet. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Can you count on it to melt snow?
I can see not having luck, but if you sleep with a isopro (winter/4-season mix!) gas canister in your bag/quilt, then the fuel will be warm enough to immediately work. However, as gas expands it cools and I am sure you have observed how a gas canister cools when used unless some heat is reflected down from the pot to warm the canister. There are tricks like the Moulder strip to conduct some heat from the flame to the canister or placing the canister in a bath of liquid water (which you know is above freezing by definition) that will keep your gas canister stove working when cold. Also put the gas canister on a piece of insulating closed-cell foam and not directly on the cold snow or ice. But nothing wrong with a white gas stove in the winter either.
Exactly - if I'm camping it stays warm with me overnight. If just out for the day I usually have the canister stuffed in a down jacket in my pack.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Even if the flame control is good, the size of the container would make things difficult, IMO. There is an inexpensive pot adaptor for jetboils that let you use larger pots and pans on them. I've always found it easier if you resign yourself to just boiling things though. Car camping is a different story and a different stove.

Edit. I've used a MSR Windburner with isopro fuel for weeks with temps in the teens. Never had a problem or needed to do anything fancy with it (never slept with it, carried it inside a coat, put the canister in water). Supposedly the windburner has a regulator that helps with low temps. Functioned flawlessly the whole time, which is good because I would have been in trouble if it didn't!
hudson

Post by hudson »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 pm
Thanks livesoft! I've never seen the winter mix; useful information!
Long ago, I decided to pass on isopro canisters in the cold weather. I think that butane lighters have the same issue. Cold canisters and cold butane lighters will let you down.
My plan for 6000 feet in February is a MSR white gas stove with a zippo lighter. Both go together; white gas and lighter fluid are the same liquid.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

isopro is not butane, so it doesn't have the problem of butane lighters. It has become more rare around me here in Texas to find non-4-season mixtures. I have been in remote areas where the local outfitters are still trying to get zid of inventory from the 1980s and thus have the undesirable 3-season fuel that would be unpleasant in sub-freezing temperatures. Folks need to read the labels carefully.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

I just use mine to boil water. While backpacking I do the freezer bag cooking method for pasta/rice sides + a protein or instant mash potatoes.

Video on it: https://youtu.be/YRXG5deRDxY
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

SmallSaver wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm Even if the flame control is good, the size of the container would make things difficult, IMO. There is an inexpensive pot adaptor for jetboils that let you use larger pots and pans on them. I've always found it easier if you resign yourself to just boiling things though. Car camping is a different story and a different stove.

Edit. I've used a MSR Windburner with isopro fuel for weeks with temps in the teens. Never had a problem or needed to do anything fancy with it (never slept with it, carried it inside a coat, put the canister in water). Supposedly the windburner has a regulator that helps with low temps. Functioned flawlessly the whole time, which is good because I would have been in trouble if it didn't!
Ok, there have been numerous replies in this thread saying to get something else for car camping. As stated in one of my earlier replies, I am camping solo, quick meals on the go, I have the pot adapter + Jetboil skillet for cooking food if necessary...... yes I could get a Coleman "camping stove", but I don't need 2 burners and it's bulkier to pack than the Minimo is. I dont get it, the Minimo puts out a flame and seems to work well. Why shouldn't I use it while car camping?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pmWhy shouldn't I use it while car camping?
:) I use my backpacking stove for car camping, too. Some of folks here are probably cooking for a complete Girl Scout Troop.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm
SmallSaver wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm Even if the flame control is good, the size of the container would make things difficult, IMO. There is an inexpensive pot adaptor for jetboils that let you use larger pots and pans on them. I've always found it easier if you resign yourself to just boiling things though. Car camping is a different story and a different stove.

Ok, there have been numerous replies in this thread saying to get something else for car camping. As stated in one of my earlier replies, I am camping solo, quick meals on the go, I have the pot adapter + Jetboil skillet for cooking food if necessary...... yes I could get a Coleman "camping stove", but I don't need 2 burners and it's bulkier to pack than the Minimo is. I dont get it, the Minimo puts out a flame and seems to work well. Why shouldn't I use it while car camping?
You know, you might be on to something. If you actually want to cook I think it would help to use normal (non-backpacking) cookware to help with heat distribution and ability to actually do things in the pot. I like two burners and white gas for car camping, but that's not necessary.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

SmallSaver wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:10 pm

You know, you might be on to something. If you actually want to cook I think it would help to use normal (non-backpacking) cookware to help with heat distribution and ability to actually do things in the pot. I like two burners and white gas for car camping, but that's not necessary.
That makes sense regarding the cookware. Apparently this Jetboil skillet is "good" for heat distribution based on reviews and videos I have seen but we will see. I just need to get out and actually use it so I can see for myself :) I think I have resigned myself to just heat water in the pot for now, but the skillet will take care of most of my food needs anyway. We will see.
hudson

Post by hudson »

In rock climbing and camping, anything that works is good technique!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I used a jetboil for a backpacking trip over a decade ago. Now, I take a lighter stove.

For car camping, Coleman stoves are great. You can also get a hose to connect to a large propane tank, which will save you money.

Here's a blog that will you out:

https://pmags.com/stoves-for-camping

You get to enjoy more luxuries car camping than backpacking.
hudson

Post by hudson »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 pm
JD2775 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pmWhy shouldn't I use it while car camping?
:) I use my backpacking stove for car camping, too. Some of folks here are probably cooking for a complete Girl Scout Troop.
Actually it's a group of Boy Scouts...plus 60 years.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Denatured Alcohol has less BTUs but less weigh especially when considering stove and paraphernalia. Cheap and universally available. Slow to warm water but really not an issue for backpacking. Jetboil is heavier all things being equal. Weight to BTU ratio is superior for DNA fuels than canister fuel. DNA has problems with cold and altitude but there are workable solutions. HEET brand alcohol also works. Isopropyl,rubbing alcohol, has water up to 20% so not good but it will burn. 100% ethanol, not denatured, has dual purpose but is pricey. I’ve seen Jetboil in action but not a fan. Too techie.
Agree with others, freeze dried food like Mountain House tastes fine, no messy cleanup but somewhat expensive. Good calorie to weight ratio. We try for at least 100 calories per ounce when backpacking to keep the weight down. Like others I hate dishwashing in primitive conditions. Car camping (glamping) weight doesn’t matter. Maybe clean up doesn’t matter either if you have a trash can nearby.
Jetboil is Okay if your finances don’t allow for separate car vs.backpacking stoves, but I’d only use Jetboil for heating water.
Respectfully HVAC
hudson

Post by hudson »

Revision17 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 am Related to the post of the liquid stove. Why do people use liquid stoves instead of propane for cold temperatures? Propane's boiling point is -44F, while isobutane is -11F (I realize canisters have some propane in them to make it more favorable). Gasoline freezes at -100F (I'm assuming white gas is similar). Liquid fuels look like a pain to work with, and a hazard compared to gas fuels.

In harsh conditions, below freezing, snow, wind, elevation...
Canisters and bic style lighters disappoint or are useless.
White gas stoves and zippo lighters rule. Both use the same fuel.

I have no idea why.