Best "first" electric razor for kid?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
windaar

Best "first" electric razor for kid?

Post by windaar »

12 year old needs first razor and prefers the idea of electric. (I use a blade!) Looking for something of simplicity safety and quality and not something designed for a burly grownup. I'm getting lost reading Amazon reviews. Any parents with ideas here? Thanks!
Nobody knows nothing.
bob60014

Re: Best "first" electric razor for kid?

Post by bob60014 »

I would suggest he starts with a disposable razor type first, letting him get the feel of it and finding the contours on his face, which of course will change.

Fwiw, When I was at a similar age my parents thought a electric razor would be the way to go, but I hated it. I didn't like the feel or results.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

I'd get him a lower end Braun (e.g. Series 3) model that he rinses out himself.

Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Electric-S ... 126&sr=8-7

I would not spend $300+ on a fancy model with the cleaning tank.
Last edited by quietseas on Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Braun Series 3 is a good choice

^ see now that it is linked in the post above
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

windaar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:21 am 12 year old needs first razor and prefers the idea of electric. (I use a blade!) Looking for something of simplicity safety and quality and not something designed for a burly grownup. I'm getting lost reading Amazon reviews. Any parents with ideas here? Thanks!
Standard Braun. Older models if offered new are fine. (Series 3 will last forever) Nothing fancy. Works well. Quick. Simple.
Replacement blades are easy to fine.
Easy to clean and keep charged.

Also, get him a small simple trimmer. The one's on the shavers are not that great. Something like this.
Note: regardless of marketing (women vs men), a shaver is a shaver if it works for what is needed.
Panasonic Trimmer
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1
The guard on this works well for length control so one can leave a sandpaper stubble as seen on TV and movies lately.

And, a nose hair to learn personal appearance. . . neat, clean.
There are a lot of cheap lousy ones that don't last or pinch.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Not a "burly grownup" nor do I have fur on my neck and back so no experience there. :shock:
Used shavers, from expensive to disposable for most of my life, but later, electrics are preferred.

Everyone has a different fur and grooming level from "lather and bare blade shaver as in the movies to none at all".

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Electr ... C63&sr=8-1

OP,

Panasonic Shaver. Cheap, simple, reliable. I used it for 10+ years.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

windaar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:21 am 12 year old needs first razor and prefers the idea of electric. (I use a blade!) Looking for something of simplicity safety and quality and not something designed for a burly grownup. I'm getting lost reading Amazon reviews. Any parents with ideas here? Thanks!
I don't understand why you think there's a difference based on age. Electric shavers aren't complicated so it's not like a 12-year-old couldn't figure out how to use one. Regarding safety, is it even possible to hurt yourself significantly using an electric shaver? You can irritate your skin and maybe draw a little blood, although in my experience more often when using a trimmer accessory/feature and/or shaving parts of your body other than your face. I don't believe any shavers are designed more for a "burly grownup" than for a 12-year-old. Different models seem to work better or worse for particular people regardless of age - probably more based on various characteristics of hair that don't have anything to do with age - so to some extent you just have to choose a model and hope for the best. Unless you choose to buy a super-expensive model, it's not a huge decision.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Electric? Ha! Let him learn to be a man...get him a vintage Gillette Super Speed, some mild double edge blades, a shaving brush and shave soap. :beer
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:51 am I would suggest he starts with a disposable razor type first, letting him get the feel of it and finding the contours on his face, which of course will change.

Fwiw, When I was at a similar age my parents thought a electric razor would be the way to go, but I hated it. I didn't like the feel or results.
The key here is that the 12-year-old has already expressed a preference. 12-year-olds will express lots of preferences, some of which are prudent to override; this isn't one of them.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 am
Electric? Ha! Let him learn to be a man...get him a vintage Gillette Super Speed, some mild double edge blades, a shaving brush and shave soap. :beer
This is actually a very nice idea. I'm hoping to start my boys in a similar fashion when the time comes (wet shaving), although I may begin with disposal cartridge type razor and then move up to a safety razor as they get the hang of it. If they stick with it the brush will last a lifetime, possibly the mug if it doesn't fall, and as he gets older a high quality safety razor would be a lifetime gift. Something to remember me by long after I'm gone. I'm using my grandfather's shaving mug (passed on to me from my mother) and it's a nice tangible connection to the past. She also gave me two of his straight razors but they were poor quality and I couldn't get a nice enough edge on them to shave with comfortably. But I still have them!
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but was never able to use a regular razor. Even the brand new more expensive ones always felt like it was pulling on my stubble.

I've always used a braun electric razor. A lower model is fine for a kid. Just figure out what style and pick a cheaper one, braun 3 is fine.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

scorcher31 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:43 am Maybe I'm doing something wrong but was never able to use a regular razor. Even the brand new more expensive ones always felt like it was pulling on my stubble.

I've always used a braun electric razor. A lower model is fine for a kid. Just figure out what style and pick a cheaper one, braun 3 is fine.
Getting the right slickness (enough water, proper glidey soap) is key. NO pressure on the razor is also key, and not something anyone teaches. Going with the grain. Even knowing which way your grain goes.

I do not recommend an electric for a new shaver, too likely to cause problems for someone who has no idea about their own facial hair and shaving. Kind of like trying to just throw someone into a brokerage account interface with money in it, with no idea how the money got into the account, what they can do with it, etc. -- better to start teaching them about the factors involved. Disposable single blade razors are good for this. Proper shaving cream/soap. shavemyface.com , badgerandblade.com , or any one of those types of sites will have good info
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Also depends on the task at hand.

If the hairs are so few that they have nicknames, then there's something for that. :shock:

If the hairs are actually thick fur, then there's something for that.

Also, the person's priorities. . . at age 12. . . . :shock: :shock:

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Get him a straight razor. Otherwise next thing you know he will be asking for a safe space.

JK. I started with an electric, and look how I turned out (or maybe, don't look). The majority of men prefer foil shavers over rotary head shavers, and Braun and Panasonic seem to be current best of breed in that realm. Pick one based on price.
Topic Author
windaar

Post by windaar »

OP here. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I personally shave with a '54 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed, Proraso shaving cream, and Shark Super Chrome blades. My son and I have talked about it; he knows the difference between blade and electric shaving and he'd like to start with electric and I respect that.
Nobody knows nothing.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

windaar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 pm OP here. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I personally shave with a '54 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed, Proraso shaving cream, and Shark Super Chrome blades. My son and I have talked about it; he knows the difference between blade and electric shaving and he'd like to start with electric and I respect that.
As with letting him choose electric, the best idea is to let him choose the device, within a reasonable budget.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Based on a recent thread I recently purchased a Panasonic Arc5 from using an old Braun series 3 that was almost 10 years old. Man, this Arc5 is awesome, feels like a Lamborghini. I've used an electric shaver since starting shaving many many years ago and would never wish on anyone to have to use a razor.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I like the braun mobile shave m30, m60, or m90. They're all the same.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
02nz

Post by 02nz »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 pm I like the brain mobile shave m30, m60, or m90. They're all the same.
I do, too. They are cheap and convenient. Although I presume you meant Braun. I'm not sure I'd like to see a "brain mobile shave."
RMO87

Post by RMO87 »

Well, the average 12-year-old won't need one for another three years. :wink:
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I have been using electric plug in Norelco triple header shavers for over 55 years. I am only on my second or third one. Sooner rather than later, a 12 year old will forget to charge a cordless rechargeable razor and, unless it will work while plugged in and recharging, he won’t be able to shave for a while.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

02nz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:38 pm I do, too. They are cheap and convenient. Although I presume you meant Braun. I'm not sure I'd like to see a "brain mobile shave."
Maybe it'll help smooth out those pesky gyri and sulci :shock:

But I agree with a Braun, Panasonic or Norelco within OP's budget and his son's preference.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

02nz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:38 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 pm I like the brain mobile shave m30, m60, or m90. They're all the same.
I do, too. They are cheap and convenient. Although I presume you meant Braun. I'm not sure I'd like to see a "brain mobile shave."
Darn autocorrect
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 pm I have been using electric plug in Norelco triple header shavers for over 55 years. I am only on my second or third one. Sooner rather than later, a 12 year old will forget to charge a cordless rechargeable razor and, unless it will work while plugged in and recharging, he won’t be able to shave for a while.
If you're using the same blades for an average of two-plus decades, that's pretty amazing. The shavers with blades are usually on sale at one time of the year or another for close to the price of OEM blades. I too had some plug-in-only models (still do), but the current lithium versions charge enough for a shave almost as soon as you plug them in, so that's not a consideration any longer. There are times when a power plug isn't close enough or doesn't work well enough (notably motels, where the plugs are often so worn out that the shaver power cord falls out of the socket when you try to use it) that rechargeable really is better now.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

My 14 y.o. started shaving about six months ago, late bloomer like me…though I was capable of a full beard part way through college.

In any case we got him a Phillips three head rotary shaver similar to what I use. I find them to be pretty gentle and I’m very prone to ingrown hairs if I’m not careful. I prefer them over the foil type.

Once he starts growing in more than just a mustache I’ll teach him to do a wet shave, though I rarely do them myself…too much hassle.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Kids need to learn to shave with a non-electric razor. Electric razors are for old men.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:01 pm
eddot98 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 pm I have been using electric plug in Norelco triple header shavers for over 55 years. I am only on my second or third one. Sooner rather than later, a 12 year old will forget to charge a cordless rechargeable razor and, unless it will work while plugged in and recharging, he won’t be able to shave for a while.
If you're using the same blades for an average of two-plus decades, that's pretty amazing. The shavers with blades are usually on sale at one time of the year or another for close to the price of OEM blades. I too had some plug-in-only models (still do), but the current lithium versions charge enough for a shave almost as soon as you plug them in, so that's not a consideration any longer. There are times when a power plug isn't close enough or doesn't work well enough (notably motels, where the plugs are often so worn out that the shaver power cord falls out of the socket when you try to use it) that rechargeable really is better now.
The shavers last much longer than the blades, which I have replaced periodically. I am currently using a Phillips Norelco 6424LC that was made in Holland. I have had it for so long that the vinyl pouch it is stored in is starting to disintegrate. I think that I have replaced the blades twice in that one. And, it is dual voltage. The only reason that I would need to have a rechargeable razor is if I were to go camping and there is a less than zero chance of that happening.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Speaking from experience. Unless he shaves daily and has relatively rigid facial hair the electric is going to be a pian, literally. I've tried all styles and they tend to pull my facial hair. Particularly, on the neck. Foil style were the worst. Never in my life did I have so many bumps as when I used an electric. Go cheap if you go electric. Personal I'd get him a Gilette mach 3. Forget the 5 blades.

Remmington, Norelco and Braun are all trusted brands.

For reference. I have fine hair and have sandy blond hair(it's graying now) even as a 51 yo I can still get away with shaving 2 to 3 times a week max.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I personally like Braun- I was using a series 5 (I think series 5090) for 6 years- went to a series 9 on a black friday sale and love it.

-There is a website shavercheck that has great reviews on electric razors- I have written to them as well. The new series 3 has mixed reviews but I would think is fine for a beginner.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

Plain old double-edge safety razor. A box of 100 blades costs $20. If you shave every day, you can have that fresh blade feeling every time for $73/year. Most will spend less.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mokaThought wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am Plain old double-edge safety razor. A box of 100 blades costs $20. If you shave every day, you can have that fresh blade feeling every time for $73/year. Most will spend less.
Except for Bogleheads obviously, relatively few people shave using only water and a blade.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

Pretty strong opinions on this! If the kid wants a gift of an electric razor, I'd get him that rather than my frugal/manly/optimal suggestion; it's his journey, give him the tool he asks for and he can form his own opinion.

I remember the first razor I got from my parents-- a Gillette Techmatic. In the late 60's it was an innovation where the cartridge contained a continuous band of blade, and you advanced it to the next increment with a lever on the back. It's still in my desk somewhere as a keepsake.

To address the original question-- though I now use the Gillette 3-blade disposables, for years I used a Norelco, and I really preferred this rotary to the Remington type.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

They all seem to utilize similar lift and pull technology :twisted: . Probably doesn't matter what you get him.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm The only reason that I would need to have a rechargeable razor is if I were to go camping and there is a less than zero chance of that happening.
As I explained, when I had my corded models, frequently encountering outlets with insufficient prong traction to fight the coiled cords was a very real and common problem. In previous eras of shavers it was more common to have models that would operate corded using household current (AC or DC) or use the current to charge the internal battery when not powered on. So there was no disadvantage to rechargeable. That hasn't been the case for more recent models I've had: if connected to household current they will charge but not operate directly off the household current. However those newer lithium models have batteries that charge much faster, commonly enough for one use in about five minutes.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

An electric razor leaves me with a 5 o'clock shadow -- I'm pretty fair skinned but have thick black hair. Even with a Gillette Fusion XL Magnum Contour Ultra Aloe Plus with Exfoliating Gamma Ray Beams I have a 5 o'clock shadow by about 10am.

I can't be of help on the electric side, but I like the Harry's razors as they are pretty competitive with Gillette and about 1/2 the price of the Fusion blades. I tried Dollar Shave Club and the blades were awful.
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

I use a Braun and that’s what we went with when the kids started shaving. We just bought whatever Braun model Costco was selling at the time. I think the 7 or 9 series is probably worth the extra money as the head pivot and some other features are better than the base model if I recall. He’ll probably still be using this in HS so I don’t know if I would view it as just a starter. You don’t really need the cleaning tank but it doubles as a charger so adds to convenience. I use it and like it. I would definitely get rechargeable as that comes in pretty handy for trips, camps, college dorm life, not to mention just everyday use. I don’t know if they even make decent corded models these days.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am
eddot98 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm The only reason that I would need to have a rechargeable razor is if I were to go camping and there is a less than zero chance of that happening.
As I explained, when I had my corded models, frequently encountering outlets with insufficient prong traction to fight the coiled cords was a very real and common problem. In previous eras of shavers it was more common to have models that would operate corded using household current (AC or DC) or use the current to charge the internal battery when not powered on. So there was no disadvantage to rechargeable. That hasn't been the case for more recent models I've had: if connected to household current they will charge but not operate directly off the household current. However those newer lithium models have batteries that charge much faster, commonly enough for one use in about five minutes.
Technology is always leaping ahead of me. When my current razor dies or needs new blades, I will research your suggestion and get with the times. Thanks for the education.
Regarding the plug friction issue, not necessarily with my razor, but with other appliances, I have just bent the cord prongs as necessary. Probably not the smartest idea, but it works. I have yet to snap off a prong, but I can see it possibly happening.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:25 pm
tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am
Technology is always leaping ahead of me. When my current razor dies or needs new blades, I will research your suggestion and get with the times.
Regarding the plug friction issue, not necessarily with my razor, but with other appliances, I have just bent the cord prongs as necessary. Probably not the smartest idea, but it works. I have yet to snap off a prong, but I can see it possibly happening.
If you like your current model I wouldn't rush to change it. I don't find that newer ones work better in terms of cutting than older ones; that might be partly a function of the type of head each one has. With rotaries at least there are definitely different grades of blades depending on the razor model. I was more addressing someone just starting to shave now without a device he already liked. The newer lithium-battery models do have some advantages in terms of charging, although for the models that won't work directly on house current, the life of the unit is more or less limited by the battery life. I'm sure Bogleheads would disassemble one and replace the theoretically-non-user-replaceable battery, but most people would just drop the unit off for recycling and pick up a new one (along with the included new blades of course) for $40 or whatever.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Yup, standard Braun. Impressive that the kid already needs a razor at age 12. At least compared to when I first started shaving.

I did electric from high school, through college, and well into my working years. Never as close as a blade, but good enough. And I never had the hair pulling problem or skin bumps with it that others apparently have, unless I went a few days between shaves.

Still, I would try a blade from time to time, but I always got a skin breakout no matter what shaving cream I used. And I definitely didn't like using a blade during my high school acne years, either. I finally found something that didn't cause breakouts - it's "King of Shaves" and available from Amazon, among others. It's a no-foam gel. At the time they had several formulations including one for sensitive skin and one with tea-tree oil. I'm sure others make something similar.

Anyway, I went with that for a number of years, occasionally growing a moustache or goatee before finally going full bearded about 7 years ago in my mid 50's. Bummer that I couldn't grow a decent full beard until it was fully Santa-fied (totally white) but that's the genetic dice that was thrown at me.

Cheers
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

mokaThought wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am Plain old double-edge safety razor. A box of 100 blades costs $20. If you shave every day, you can have that fresh blade feeling every time for $73/year. Most will spend less.
$20 for a box of one-hundred blades is on the high end. Most quality mild blades (ranging from Derby Premium to most Gillette blades, such as Gillette Nacet) run between $7.50 and $12.50 for a box of one-hundred and you can often find them on sale for even less. And the $73/yr cost you mention assumes one blade every day at $20/100. More realistically, assuming two average cost ($10/100) blades per week, the cost drops to about $10/yr for the blades. A good safety razor, such as a vintage Gillette from eBay or Badger & Blade's FST forum will run about $10-$20. (Amazon currently has the King Gillette safety razor and five blades for $10). So wet shaving has an initial investment of about $20-$25 for a razor and enough blades to last a year. Add $20 for a nice brush and some Arco or similar shave soap or just use canned foam. Ongoing costs are about $10 to $15 per year for a box of one-hundred blades and some shave soap. (although enthusiasts can spend many hundreds per year on collectible or high-end razors, artisan shave soaps and other expensive gear). Compare that to what you'd spend on Mach3 refills each year ($200/yr for the same two blades/wk, $100/yr if you use each blade for a week).

Personally, I find wet shaving to be a pleasurable experience and have never experienced as close a shave when I was using Mach3 or during my brief experiment with an electric as a young adult (hated it). While I now use shave soap and a brush to whip up my own lather for each shave (since I am retired and have the time) one can always use canned foam if they don't want to take the time/effort to bowl or face lather.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

quietseas wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:54 am I'd get him a lower end Braun (e.g. Series 3) model that he rinses out himself.

Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Electric-S ... 126&sr=8-7

I would not spend $300+ on a fancy model with the cleaning tank.
+1
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Compromise

Get him a Gillette AAA battery Power Razor for 10 bucks