Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chadnudj

Re: Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Post by Chadnudj »

My 2 cents: yes, particularly if you live in an area with extreme weather (snow/cold/excessive heat).

You'll want the ability to park 2 cars in the garage easily -- and a two car garage doesn't necessarily allow you to that without doing complex jenga. And you also need the ability to store yard equipment (mower, etc.), bikes/scooters for kids, athletic gear, etc., and to have a semi-outside area (or outside as you open the garage door) to do things that require better ventilation than your basement (painting, staining, etc.) or for a work bench.

Throw in the possibility that your 3rd car stall becomes a place to put an extra refrigerator and/or freezer (something my family of 4 has and uses a lot).

And even if you don't think you need those things, the next buyer in 15 years will find them attractive.

$15k amortized over the life of a mortgage is peanuts. Do it. You won't regret it at all.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Our 2-car garage (24 W x 22 L) is extra wide to provide space for ladders, garbage cans, lawn mower, snow blower, pressure washer and various bags and shelves. Our son lives with us for a while with grandson in our 4 bed room house, and they have another car (might be 2 in the future?). There is enough space for parking of that 3rd car on our double-wide driveway, all should be considered. Going to a riding mower might require a shed in the back of our house, or getting rid of that pressure washer.
Last edited by likegarden on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnoopisTDI

Post by SnoopisTDI »

I have a two car garage, probably pretty close to the 22x21 feet you mentioned. I park two cars in it, but it is tight. Anybody riding with me has to stand in the driveway while I back in or pull out because there isn't enough room to open the passenger door inside the garage. I have to be very careful opening the driver's door to squeeze myself in/out. One car has to be angled in to get it within an inch or so of the wall, and if I were to try driving straight out, I'd hit the door frame. If I had a truck, I would have to get one bumper touching the back wall to keep the garage door from coming down on the other bumper.

I do have room for some small shelves, a smoker, toolbox, and a few other things... I barely fit my recycle bin, but luckily we don't use garbage cans because something would have to go! Garage organization is like playing Tetris. I had to re-organize half of it a couple months ago when I replaced my water heater and the new one was an inch wider than the old one. :annoyed

I definitely wish my garage was at least a few feet wider! I also wish I had an 8ft door so I could park taller vehicles in there (not that I have a taller vehicle), and hot/cold water taps with a big sink.

There are so many advantages to a bigger garage, I think the only reason not to is if you are an extreme minimalist and have nothing to put in it, or if for some reason it just doesn't "fit" your house or property.
Steven28

Post by Steven28 »

I am confident no one ever complained about having too much garage space. Get it, because it becomes too expensive to add on later. If you can, add a regular door out of your garage so that you can get in and out without needing to open the large door. Can be handy if you are parking on the driveway or if you just have to go outside to get the mail and prefer not to use the front door.
edge

Post by edge »

Yes, a must have. Either/both a large garage and matching storage shed.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

I have a three car garage. Lately, I’ve been thinking I should have sprung for four. Or at least 18’ and 10’ doors instead of 16 and 8. Or 2’ more at one edge…..

The standard dimensions in the lead post sound smallish. If those are outside dimensions, even worse. I’d suggest making paper cutouts to scale of the cars OP would put in there plus whatever other there might be (trash bins, mower, bikes, workbench, etc) and see how tight it looks by placing on the plan. Remember you want space to swing the car doors, preferably on both sides. Remember that the door fits on the inside face of the structure and has some thickness (including 4” deep channels on the back to meet code for hurricane resistance in FL).
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

I'd definitely do the third bay, especially at the low price to add it.

And I say that, though I live in a hundred year old house with a small one-car garage used for bikes, mower, etc.
j28j

Post by j28j »

I would highly suggest adding the 3rd bay.

We have a 22’x22’ garage which works okay for our two cars but is a little tight getting around. We thankfully have a basement so we’re able to store most items down there.

If I were to build a house, I would do a 2 car garage with a double deep 3rd bay. We have family members with one like that and they can fit 3 cars plus a workshop if needed.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

I would opt for the 3rd car garage in a heartbeat. I opted for a 4th garage when I built my house 20 years ago with some hesitation and haven't regretted it.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Would vote yes. Much cheaper to include than add later, plus resale as has been said. I recently added a 4th bay to my 3 car, cost around $30k. And as mentioned see if you can opt for 8 ft high doors, and 7 ft wide if multiple single car doors.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Interesting that all the threads about “should I buy a bigger house,” people pile on and talk about all of the additional costs that a bigger house will bring, like maintenance, property taxes, insurance, needing more stuff to fill it. But a garage, which is just another way of saying “bigger house,” gets a pass.

No, ít’s not necessary. It’s just a large place to store stuff that doesn’t make the cut for keeping inside the house, so that you don’t look like a hoarder when you try to store that same stuff inside the house. But you’re going to do it anyway, because we’re Americans, and there’s nothing we like better than a gigantic storage unit on the front of our houses.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Three.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:24 am Interesting that all the threads about “should I buy a bigger house,” people pile on and talk about all of the additional costs that a bigger house will bring, like maintenance, property taxes, insurance, needing more stuff to fill it. But a garage, which is just another way of saying “bigger house,” gets a pass.

No, ít’s not necessary. It’s just a large place to store stuff that doesn’t make the cut for keeping inside the house, so that you don’t look like a hoarder when you try to store that same stuff inside the house. But you’re going to do it anyway, because we’re Americans, and there’s nothing we like better than a gigantic storage unit on the front of our houses.
I think the fact that it's a new build and "only" $15,000 plays a major part in the responses.

If he was buying on market, I don't think there would be a lot of people saying "EXCLUDE ALL <3 GARAGE HOMES"
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 am Anyone can spend whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned.
I do see a lot of "I really want to and plan to do this anyway, so everyone please confirm my existing plans" "question" posts.

It's almost as if posters feel guilty about it...

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the economy. Seems like more of it recently.

Personally, I'd just go with the 3 car garage. But I wouldn't post it as an "is it necessary" question.
"Necessary" is a debatable word. A family of 5 can live in a 2 bedroom shack with a carport. It just becomes a matter of what you're willing to endure and pay for.

I think people are honestly just posting for feedback. Put yourself in the shoes of the OP. They're building this house and have this bigger ticket decision put in front of them that can't realistically be undone. I'm sure there are people in their ear saying "you must have a 3 car garage" or "don't waste your money", so they want to have some confidence they're doing the right thing.

I actually read the OP the otherway - they want to skimp on the 3 car, and are hoping for info that direction so they don't regret not spending the $15k. Depending on the area, I think that's probably a mistake for resale less than actual "need", and I think they would regret not doing it when it comes time to sell the house.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

An extra what? 60 bucks or so a month for an off-street, covered parking spot that you can use for anything you want and will increase the resale value of the house? That’s a total no-brainer to me.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:24 am Interesting that all the threads about “should I buy a bigger house,” people pile on and talk about all of the additional costs that a bigger house will bring, like maintenance, property taxes, insurance, needing more stuff to fill it. But a garage, which is just another way of saying “bigger house,” gets a pass.

A garage does not count as part of the square footage of a house. So this really isn't a discussion about building a larger house.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

A couple of quick thoughts, as I am going through this same exercise right now.

Size - We met with an architect, and he advised that we not go shallower than 24 feet. You will want to be able to walk around a normal size car, or possibly put a refrig or other stuff in the front. Pay a little extra and make this a comfortable, not a tight garage.

Third bay - We live in a snowy climate. There is no such thing as too much garage space by the time you get car(s), workspace, and gear (bikes, skis, etc.). I would not think twice and would definitely do the third bay. I don't think this perspective has to be limited to snowy climates either. Being able to access your vehicles in a rain storm without getting wet is also really nice (go back to the size comment above, and not having to open your garage to access one side of your car).
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

You didn't ask, but I think adding a 40amp or 50amp 220v outlet should be strongly considered for your garage. 15yrs from now, I'd imagine most homeowners will have some form of plug in electrified vehicle.
rixer

Post by rixer »

It depends like everything else but having that extra space is a good thing and $15K isn't too bad for it. Especially if you or others in your family have hobbies where some shop space would come in handy. I wish I had a 3 car garage for just that reason.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 am
Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
Yes. The extra space is very valuable.

Also, the "standard" 2 gar garage you describe, 22 x 21 feet, is very tight for a garage.

I admit we have a lot of storage space and workshop area, but we have two garages. One is 30' x 25" and the second is 22' x 30'.

You also need to consider the door size. Frequently a builder will put in a 16' foot wide door on a double garage. I increased ours to 18' wide and that extra space is wonderful for getting 2 cars in and out.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 am We are building a new home. Hope to stay in it for about 15years, max. Then we sell and downsize once our 2 kids are gone.

With that said, we have the option to add a third garage to our new home. Currently, the house come standard with a 2 car garage that is about 22 x 21 feet. This is one of the many options we have to decide before they start building. Would be nice to get everything on our wish list, but we are unsure where to place this third car garage option on the list. The builder is charging 15k to add the third garage.

I know that this is an item that is best to do now vs later. But, do we really need the third car garage? When growing up, we just had 2 car garage and parked the third car on the driveway -- but we were a family of 5, not 4. I want to avoid having a reason to store additional junk if we go with the 3 car route, but I can see it being a good place for bikes, lawn mower, etc...and we have a small lot that wont' require much maintenance, so limited yard tools. We do have a large unfinished basement that can store additional items, as well.

Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
Measure the width of 2 cars add 2 to 3 feet on to each for opening doors and such. Then add space for anything you want to store in garage. trash cans, tools, etc.

You going to find that a 21x22 garage won't hardly fit 2 full size cars let alone a larger SUV. 24x24 is the min I'd ever do. I had one this size and it fit two midsize SUVs in comfortably with plenty of space on each side for everything needed.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Steven28 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:30 am I am confident no one ever complained about having too much garage space.
this.

-------------------------------------
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I don't have a garage, or covered parking of any sort (the garage was closed in to make a bonus room by the previous owner of my house).

I grew up in houses with carports, not garages.

A garage isn't necessary, but it is nice to have, especially if you live somewhere snowy. I do wish my house had more covered outdoor space. A two car garage with some workshop/yard tool space seems like a good balance. But if you want a full 3rd bay, go for it.

If I was building a new garage, I would definitely make sure it was wired with a 240V plug (or, even better, one per bay) to charge electric cars. Should be a lot cheaper to install in new construction than to put in later.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Chadnudj wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am My 2 cents: yes, particularly if you live in an area with extreme weather (snow/cold/excessive heat).

You'll want the ability to park 2 cars in the garage easily -- and a two car garage doesn't necessarily allow you to that without doing complex jenga. And you also need the ability to store yard equipment (mower, etc.), bikes/scooters for kids, athletic gear, etc., and to have a semi-outside area (or outside as you open the garage door) to do things that require better ventilation than your basement (painting, staining, etc.) or for a work bench.

Throw in the possibility that your 3rd car stall becomes a place to put an extra refrigerator and/or freezer (something my family of 4 has and uses a lot).

And even if you don't think you need those things, the next buyer in 15 years will find them attractive.

$15k amortized over the life of a mortgage is peanuts. Do it. You won't regret it at all.
I'd just add that places in the US which have neither extreme heat (and sun on paint), cold, snow, or very wet periods which aren't good for cars either, not many places.

Obviously not literally necessary unconditional on anything else. We have a single family row house, no driveway let alone a garage (we park older car on urban streets, can't always get it close to the house, newer one we rent an indoor space) and a fair proportion of people (though underrepresented here) own or rent apartments.

But, if building (or buying) a suburban house in a spacious area, 3 car garage is something I'd pay for, vs. excessive (to us) indoor living space (like 3,4, 5 k or more sq ft) common in newer 'upscale' homes that I wouldn't care to pay for.
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:36 am 2 cars + a junk drawer. This is clearly the US standard now. I personally think it’s ridiculous, but I know my tenants disagree. For resale value, get the third bay.
Can't agree more!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

My preference would be a three car garage that is extra deep with a second set of oversize doors on the back. This way bikes, lawn mower, snow blower, lawn & garden tools, etc. could be stored in front of the vehicles and accessed/driven out the back of the garage without having to move or skirt around the vehicles.

A friend extended their driveway (more narrowly) to wrap around to the back garage doors so the bikes etc. could be more easily ridden/driven out to the front of the house.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:54 am
Dude2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:24 am Life isn't the same for everybody. We have roving gangs in our area that walk neighborhoods at night trying car doors for cars left on the street or in the driveways. There is ample Ring doorbell evidence of this all the time.
Next, particular circumstances preclude the ability to build other external storage such as a shed -- HOAs for example, or just no land for it. Thus, larger garage makes sense = is not a luxury but a practical solution to a set of circumstances.
Already discussed is that what we now call a standard 2 car garage isn't enough for 2 cars ==> need a 3 car garage to store 2 cars, for example. All of this is in the solution space of the discussion. Driveway/street may not be an option.
Got it. You view a 3+ car garage as "necessary".
And some view a man cave, she shed, media room, multiple home offices, all as "necessary".

I've watched HGTV on occasion...
No offense, but this sounds like it is coming from someone with less than a 3 car garage. I will not engage.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 am
We had a zero car garage in our old house. The house was built in 1920 and the garage was tiny... snip... and the cleaning of cars after a snowstorm was a drag.

I would get the extra bay.
Same, previous home no garage (the one-car sized structure had a wood-framed floor and a modern car would have been to large/ heavy- I suspect it was for a carriage, or an early car) The house was very close to the street, with a very short driveway, and on a curve. The town plow would come by and put up a wave of snow you could surf on. Lots of family photos with cars in the driveway buried up to the windshield, or higher. As a bonus, the snow from the street had salt and sand mixed in for a wet, heavy mess.
Current house has a 2-car attached garage and there is no way I would consider going back... rain or snow, just walk into the kitchen with the groceries. Now, the kids' car sits in the driveway, so they have the character-building experience of pushing 12" of snow off the car before starting it up :) The good thing about our current residence is that we are at the top of a 600-foot driveway so the snowplow is just something that happens "down there"... and I have a giant snowblower (discussed in other threads) that makes quick work of it all.
Having said that, it's very crowded in the garage with 2 cars, lawnmower, bikes, snowblower. Luckily, it's deep so I have shelving along the back wall for storage. I actually dream of building a detached 2-car with an office over the top, but I'm not sure we are staying in this home forever.
All the new builds here are 3 or 4 cars...
I would do it.
Cheers
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you do build a big extra bay, expect neighbors to come over and look because they've always wanted a bigger garage. My neighbor came and looked at my 24x36 little detached garage and built one to make up for the smallness of mine. He built a 36x50 garage with doors and ceiling large enough to fit 2 dump trucks and a second story area that could be finished. That eventually became the daughter's apartment. I'd love to have that big garage and am considering building an attached, small 24x24 with a 10x10 mudroom to make it easier to get my wife's car in the garage before snow. Of course it would also give us more room for a "toy" car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm one of the "grew up in a tiny house and am happy today living in a tiny house" posters on this board, but get the extra garage space. We have a ~1400sq. home (and actually don't even use all that space for our family of 4) and only one car, but I wouldn't mind having more space than our 2-car garage offers. In our case it is because we have a garage gym, but the reality is most people will find a use for the extra covered space. Even if you never use it, I bet it's a worthwhile if you ever want to sell.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

A three-car garage has been on my requirement list when shopping for the last few houses I've bought. Even though I don't always own 3 cars (always have at least 2, sometimes own a 3rd "fun" car). Particularly on newer homes in my area, the typical 2-car garage is so small/tight that it leaves little if any room for extra storage, for a workbench and workspace, etc. On a new construction home I would gladly pay the $20,000+ or whatever to get an extra garage bay. And I would pay even more to have it be extra deep and wide if possible.

Unfortunately due to ever-shrinking/narrowing lot sizes, what is becoming more common in new construction in my area is a 3-car garage where two of the spots are in a "tandem" configuration. Works fine if you want to use one space as a workshop, but could get annoying fast if you actually want to park cars in all 3 spots.

This all being said, I can't believe how many people in my neighborhood have 2- and 3-car garages that are absolutely piled high with what just looks like unused "crap" to the extent that they have to park their cars, and often very nice/expensive ones, outside all the time. I park my cars in the garage at all times. Not being able to do that would be a sign to me that I have too much crap. One neighbor has a $90,000 vehicle that sits outside cooking in the sun all the time, because his garage is filled with junk that would probably fetch $1,000 at best at a garage sale.
Last edited by tim1999 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

I vote three.

Also consider:
1. Wider than default bays/doors. It is a pain to be unable to open your car doors very far.
2. Depending on your area, consider a wind-rated garage door.
3. Again, depending on your area (climate), consider insulated steel (inside and out) doors. Even if your garage is not climate controlled, these doors can help moderate the temperature. In our case, we are in N Alabama and our garage doors face south, thus are baked by the sun for much of the afternoon in summer. The insulated doors really cut down on the heat transfer into the garage.
4. Maybe not a problem in modern construction, but try to avoid (or minimize) vertical supports. We live in a raised ranch and there are two posts in our garage, supporting the main living level. One post is placed such that we can barely open the back doors of our cars.
5. Someone upthread mentioned installing a 40 or 50 amp outlet for EV charging. That is probably a good idea. If you didn’t want to go that far, you might consider roughing in a circuit with a conductor sufficient to support a 50 amp and adding the specific breaker and outlet later, if necessary. This gives some future-proofing without committing to a specific outlet. Not sure if it would save any money or if the builder/electrician would even do it.
6. Consider getting more than the minimum number of outlets. How many? Hard to say, but enough that most of your outlets don’t end up being in places where you end up storing stuff/junk.

Good luck!
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:36 am 2 cars + a junk drawer. This is clearly the US standard now. I personally think it’s ridiculous, but I know my tenants disagree. For resale value, get the third bay.
+1 on this. Look around the neighbor - What is the standard?
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Topic Author
doss

Post by doss »

Wow, ok definitely going for the 3rd car garage. Just need to convince the wife of the necessary expense....anyone got tips? She's a little hesitant with it right now. :(
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

Once you have a 3 car garage you will never want to go back to a 2 car garage. You have been forewarned!
CloudNine33

Post by CloudNine33 »

linuxizer wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:03 am
CloudNine33 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:47 amBuilding a house right now and the garage will be 38' wide x 35' deep. Two 12' wide garage doors rather than three 8' wide doors. Also building a second garage 40x60'
3,730 square feet of garage? That’s a barn or something. Or a very nice woodshop….
I've got a lot of toys and have always wanted garage space for a couple of summer cars. We are building on over 100 acres so we've got the space!
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:55 am Wow, ok definitely going for the 3rd car garage. Just need to convince the wife of the necessary expense....anyone got tips? She's a little hesitant with it right now. :(
This: Christmas decorations and kid’s momentous can come out of the guest bedroom closet so now her parents can stay longer. :confused
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:55 am Wow, ok definitely going for the 3rd car garage. Just need to convince the wife of the necessary expense....anyone got tips? She's a little hesitant with it right now. :(
Give her something new to park in the third bay. 🤓
chazas

Post by chazas »

All I can say is when I built a custom home with my ex, everything got focused through the lens of "it's not too much more and it'll be better for resale." It was a great house but despite some value engineering we spent way too much. Just make sure you don't overspend in total.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

Like others have said, go for it. Why not? If you can afford it, and your lot size still means you'd have some lawn space, it's a nice luxury and probably helps the resale.

One related suggestion is a feature our current house has. There is a large attached shed space behind the garage, still part of the garage building, and covered by the garage's sloping roof. It's maybe 15' wide and extends the full width of the garage, with a barn door on the side lawn.

This is a primo storage space for us: lawn mower, snow blower, kayaks and canoe, lawn tools, garden pots and decor in the winter, lawn furniture in the winter, wood for the fire pit, etc.

I suppose with a three car garage, you may not need this space, but there is ancient wisdom in the saying you can't have enough sheds. Were I building a house, I would include this feature.
chw

Post by chw »

The 3rd bay could be nice in lieu of a shed for the typical shed stuff, but gives you flexibility to use it for a car if you choose. Another option is to get a price to build the 2 car garage a bit bigger to accommodate some storage. We built a garage 24 x 28 feet, which does allow a good bit of storage (bikes, snowblower, etc).
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I've lived in both 2 and 3 car garage homes. I prefer the 3 car garage even though we only have 2 cars. The additional space is great for storing bikes, mowers etc. I also prefer the tandem as it gives me the benefit of shoveling only a 2 car driveway while having space to house 3 cars (if needed).
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
SnoopisTDI

Post by SnoopisTDI »

I really like the idea of adding EV charging capability.
Another thought, maybe you could have a high ceiling or attic access to gain storage space above the vehicles without actually having a bigger garage. Just depends on how you plan to use the space.

I would think this is a relatively small expense versus actually looking for more square footage in the house, and garages are pretty low maintenance in my experience.

We don't have basements around here, so I know a lot of people who do have garages full of junk. But also, how many people want to store their lawn mower, gas can, fertilizer, shovel, brake kleen and bearing grease, rolling tool box, ramps, floor jack, charcoal and grill, etc. inside their house? Some things I just prefer to not keep in the house, either due to cleanliness/odors or just out of convenience.

As for necessity, I once saw a politician say income tax is optional, because having income is not necessary. :idea:
Tavistock1

Post by Tavistock1 »

Long time experienced realtor….if it’s not a financial burden and if the added footprint doesn’t adversely affect the livability of the lot ( ie yard) …get the 3 car…resale- a +, and storage is good ( though having recently downsized , stuff is way over rated)
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Get the 3 car.

I'm single and my 2 car is packed the brim, my DD has to park in the driveway, and I'm very spartan -- 180* opposite of a hoarder.

Summer fun/sports car sits in one spot. Motorcycle, ATV, backup portable generator, welder, workbench and tool chests, lawn mower & other lawn tools, snow blower take up the other space. Truck gets parked outside. I'd kill for a 3 car garage!!! Esp if you're married and expect to park 2 DD cars in the garage.

I could maybe see getting by with a 2 car if you use services for all of your outdoor maintenance work and don't have, or plan to have, any toys. Even then, for resale, I think it's well worth the investment.

Lastly, many people with 0/1/2 car garages and ICE DD park in the driveway due to issues like mine. With the the way EVs appear to be going, more DDs are going to need to park in the garage to charge, esp those in the snow belt. Yet another reason people will likely need more garage space going forward.
Last edited by killjoy2012 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Ask a real estate agent in your area - the 3rd garage may add more value to your house than the cost.

In addition to EV chargers and extra outlets, consider whether your garage needs sufficient power for an irrigation controller, portable generator outlet, garage door openers, etc. It’s much easier and less costly to add these during construction.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I think a 3 car garage is very, very nice if you don’t have a basement. It gives you a spot for bikes, tools, work benches, gun benches, etc. But otherwise not "necessary."

JT
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

well, it can't be really necessary, in that i have lived my entire life without ever having one, and i feel fine!

but if you live in extreme weather, or need the space, or it helps resale value, or if it's standard where you are, then go for it.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Lots of garage passion here! Love it! I’ll chime in.

I think a 3 car garage would be very very nice to have if you can swing the cost. As you said, it is not something easy to add later.

I have a two car garage. We paid extra to make it 3 feet deeper than standard. It also has two separate single doors so that gives extra space between cars as well. No support poles or beams. Car doors do not hit each other and I have room at the back for a workbench, motorcycle, electric scooter, refrigerator and small snow blower. I also have room for a walk behind mower along the side. The extra three feet was one of the best things we could have done. I’d still love to have more space.
rascott

Post by rascott »

1000% absolutely do this. You will regret it if you don't.

I live in a old (90 years) old house, and a cramped 2 car is normal. Love much about my house but really miss the spacious 3 car in my prior (new) home. No way would I consider a newer build home that didn't have a 3 car (and 4 would be better).