Can I get reimbursed for my $250 PCR test made void due to a flight cancellation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pppez80

Can I get reimbursed for my $250 PCR test made void due to a flight cancellation?

Post by pppez80 »

I was meant to fly to Cambodia and had to do a 1hr PCR test at the cost of $250 to be eligible for entry. My airline cancelled the flight 24 hours prior. Do I have any reimbursement rights for the now void test through the airline or maybe my credit card Chase Saphire Reserved with which I purchased the flight?
whodidntante

Re: Can I get reimbursed for my $250 PCR test made void due to a flight cancellation?

Post by whodidntante »

I would be amazed if you get a nickel back.
quantAndHold

Re: Can I get reimbursed for my $250 PCR test made void due to a flight cancellation?

Post by quantAndHold »

Did you actually have the test?
DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 »

Unlikely. Only way I see for you to get any $ is if you were flying a European carrier with a stop in EU. Even then you'd be compensated not for the test, but for the cancelation on a very short notice.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

pppez80 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:37 pm I was meant to fly to Cambodia and had to do a 1hr PCR test at the cost of $250 to be eligible for entry. My airline cancelled the flight 24 hours prior. Do I have any reimbursement rights for the now void test through the airline or maybe my credit card Chase Saphire Reserved with which I purchased the flight?
If the airline required you to have the test, then you can try to see if you can get reimbursed. Would the airline have let you board the plane without COVID test? If no, then you can file a claim with the airline.

You have no standing with the credit card. Why should the credit card company reimburse you for your PCR test?
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I suspect you will not get reimbursed.

Would they reimburse you for a taxi ride if you took one to the airport, but the flight was cancelled?
egrets

Post by egrets »

I suspect these tests may be medical expenses for tax purposes, although what do I know. Hand sanitizers are, so maybe.