Children's Books and Board Games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
apple44

Children's Books and Board Games

Post by apple44 »

I would like to purchase some books and board games for my kids this holiday season. I have a 5 year old boy and a 2.5 year old girl. The boy asked for a comic book, but I'm open to all kinds of books that are suitable for his age.

Also would like to get some board games that the boy can enjoy (the little girl will just go along with whatever the rest of the family are doing:).

I would appreciate any recommendations!
runner3081

Re: Children's Books and Board Games

Post by runner3081 »

Guess Who
Candyland
Chutes & Ladders
Memory/Matching Card Games
Crazy 8's
Go Fish

When a bit older, Ticket To Ride, Blockus.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

I'm a big fan of Qbitz from Mindware. There's a junior version but my kids mastered that quickly and now we just play the regular one (they are 4 and 6).

Also from Mindware is Quirkle which is kind of like Scrabble with shapes. Might be a little tricky to start but I regularly play with my 4 year-old and she does well now that we've played a few times and we keep our tiles open so I can "help" her if she gets stuck.

Zingo was also a hit for us last Christmas and is straightforward enough your 2.5 year old should be able to play within the year.

I've heard good things about Ticket to Ride and found out they have a younger kid version (First Journey) and got that for my kids this year for Christmas so we haven't played it yet. Looking forward to it since so many people have recommended that game to me though mentioned the original version would be a bit hard for my kids.

I could go on endlessly about kid books as it's my only shopping weakness. My 6 year-old really likes the Dog Man and Cat Kid books which are kind of comic book-like but easier to read. Otherwise what else is he interested in? There are so many great books for kids out there and I can try to recommend some if you narrow it down a bit eg. dinosaurs, cars, animals, nature, adventure, etc.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
FraserFir

Post by FraserFir »

Hands down best gift guide for kids: https://tksstgiftguide.tumblr.com/

Probably can't go wrong with Poop Bingo (it's educational!). Haba and Peaceable Kingdom make some good games for the younger set too and they're less likely to make the parents' brains melt out of their ears than Candyland.

The Bad Guys book series is a graphic novel series option that's perfectly pitched for the fives, and there's a bunch of them.
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

I second Quirkle. It’s simple to grasp the rules so young ones can follow along and learn strategy later on.

Story Cubes would also be great once they are verbal and imaginative enough.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Monopoly, checker, chess.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

5.5 and 3 like to play Zingo with each other, with an adult coaching the little guy a bit. We also have the Ticket To Ride First Journey as a gift for the older kid after hearing good things.

I don't have any names for comic books off hand but there are tons of graphic novels for early readers out there. Theyre not mindless superhero stories nor violent/scary. I'll have to ask the spouse...
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

If you want to find some good books for your kids, why not check with your local library? For instance, my niece is a librarian who specializes in children's literature; beyond knowing the classic children's literature, she is up to date on the best new books coming out. She's also knowledgeable regarding anime and gaming, although I don't know how much she focuses on board games.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Candyland ought to be shot into the sun.

Mr. Marshmallow is a board game fanatic (spends more than I ever would on games but there are worse obsessive hobbies I suppose.)

2-3yo:
Haba makes Animal upon Animal, a stacking game which my kids loved at that age. Super Rhino Hero, Wobble King (both dexterity games.). Dragon's Breath was more fun at 3 but much loved. Unicorn Glitterluck.

If your 5yo is adept at games (can strategize), then SOS Dinos. King of the Dice, Zombie Kids, Castle Panic, maybe a bit older. Pandemic: Hotspot, if you don't mind directing a bit. Cooperative games are the way to go in this age group.

The mini marshmallow adores Zita the Space Girl (graphic novel.) Mighty Jack is by the same author. The Bad Guys is a good series, too.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

FraserFir wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 pm Haba and Peaceable Kingdom make some good games for the younger set
I highly recommend games from these two companies instead of just buying the games you played 100 years ago as a kid because you recognise the names.

Both companies have websites of games by age. I'd look into Animal Upon Animal and Orchard from Haba and Hoot Owl Hoot and Dinosaur Escape from Peaceable Kingdom.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I Spy books are fun - it's a bit like where's Waldo - but more varied and I've witnessed the kids using the pictures to make up their own "I Spy" games.

Eye Witness books are fun - you can pick a topic that your kid(s) are interested in - dinosaurs? Castles? boats?

A "memory" game is fun - for single players or multiple players.

I'm not sure what the age range is for Monster Maker (a card game)

Mindware makes a lot of games for kids... by age.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Some games require more than 2 players - something like Castle Panic works well for a group of tweens for example or adults and younger than tween kids.

I'd suggest matching the game to kids ages.
elle

Post by elle »

I’m sad no one has said Uno yet.

We have been playing for 2 years with my current 4/6 year olds. It’s also a great game to bring on vacation due to the small footprint. Once you do that for a couple years, I also highly recommend uno flip too. Similar game but bad cards are SO bad, which means lots of laughs.

We also have a charades deck of cards that’s good for trips too.

Love the suggestions and looking forward to trying some of these out!
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I hate to be a snob, but I honestly think most of those mainstream classics like Monopoly and Candy Land are downright terrible by modern standards, but they still sell like hot cakes. There's a game publisher called Haba that specializes in more modern children's games. I haven't actually played any myself, but any of them should be better than your classic 50s stuff.

Another category of games that I think works really well with children, assuming they're old enough not to eat the pieces, is dice games. There's one called Age of War that is really simple and comes in a small package. It sounds much more violent than it actually is, haha. King of Tokyo is also an extremely popular dice chucker. I believe they just recently released some kind of big monster box edition that includes many of the expansions, so I would look into that if you want a bigger game with lots of cool pieces that's still easy for kids to play.

I also haven't played this one, but there's a light sort of role-playing story game called Stuffed Fables which is supposedly really popular with kids. It's a bit like Toy Story with stuffed animals fighting the monsters under the bed or something like that.

Lastly, there's a whole category of dexterity games. Think stuff like Jenga, although there are countless choices. I'm not too familiar with these myself, and the ones I can think of are likely out of print or hard to find now. Fireball Island is not exactly a dexterity game but it involves dropping marbles down a hill and hoping to knock other players down. If it sounds familiar, thats because it was an older game from the 80s, I believe, but it was redesigned and republished by Restoration Games. Target recently started selling a slightly smaller, simplified version of the RG edition by Goliath Games at a pretty attractive price point.

If you want to ask more specific questions about games or hear about interesting deals (though rarely for kids' games), I frequent the r/boardgames and r/boardgame deals subreddits, which are both excellent resources. You might also check if there are any local game stores in your area. They're usually great resources that carry newer games, although you'll generally pay full MSRP at them.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Monopoly Jr
Catan Jr
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 pm I hate to be a snob, but I honestly think most of those mainstream classics like Monopoly and Candy Land are downright terrible by modern standards, but they still sell like hot cakes. There's a game publisher called Haba that specializes in more modern children's games. I haven't actually played any myself, but any of them should be better than your classic 50s stuff.

Another category of games that I think works really well with children, assuming they're old enough not to eat the pieces, is dice games. There's one called Age of War that is really simple and comes in a small package. It sounds much more violent than it actually is, haha. King of Tokyo is also an extremely popular dice chucker. I believe they just recently released some kind of big monster box edition that includes many of the expansions, so I would look into that if you want a bigger game with lots of cool pieces that's still easy for kids to play.

I also haven't played this one, but there's a light sort of role-playing story game called Stuffed Fables which is supposedly really popular with kids. It's a bit like Toy Story with stuffed animals fighting the monsters under the bed or something like that.

Lastly, there's a whole category of dexterity games. Think stuff like Jenga, although there are countless choices. I'm not too familiar with these myself, and the ones I can think of are likely out of print or hard to find now. Fireball Island is not exactly a dexterity game but it involves dropping marbles down a hill and hoping to knock other players down. If it sounds familiar, thats because it was an older game from the 80s, I believe, but it was redesigned and republished by Restoration Games. Target recently started selling a slightly smaller, simplified version of the RG edition by Goliath Games at a pretty attractive price point.

If you want to ask more specific questions about games or hear about interesting deals (though rarely for kids' games), I frequent the r/boardgames and r/boardgame deals subreddits, which are both excellent resources. You might also check if there are any local game stores in your area. They're usually great resources that carry newer games, although you'll generally pay full MSRP at them.

Stuffed Fables is fantastic but probably best a little older than 5. It's a choose-your-own adventure -style roleplaying game, with an age-appropriate story (stuffed animals on a magical adventure to recover a lost blanket from gremlins.)

Seconding the subreddit, and also boardgamegeek.
Murr

Post by Murr »

This was my boys' fav when they were young; easy to set up and play and they can also tinker with it solo.

https://www.thinkfun.com/products/laser-maze/
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Game: Kingdomino
Puzzle game: Gravity maze
Books: any Piggie and Elephant
Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 »

travelnut11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm I'm a big fan of Qbitz from Mindware. There's a junior version but my kids mastered that quickly and now we just play the regular one (they are 4 and 6).

Also from Mindware is Quirkle which is kind of like Scrabble with shapes. Might be a little tricky to start but I regularly play with my 4 year-old and she does well now that we've played a few times and we keep our tiles open so I can "help" her if she gets stuck.

Zingo was also a hit for us last Christmas and is straightforward enough your 2.5 year old should be able to play within the year.

I've heard good things about Ticket to Ride and found out they have a younger kid version (First Journey) and got that for my kids this year for Christmas so we haven't played it yet. Looking forward to it since so many people have recommended that game to me though mentioned the original version would be a bit hard for my kids.

I could go on endlessly about kid books as it's my only shopping weakness. My 6 year-old really likes the Dog Man and Cat Kid books which are kind of comic book-like but easier to read. Otherwise what else is he interested in? There are so many great books for kids out there and I can try to recommend some if you narrow it down a bit eg. dinosaurs, cars, animals, nature, adventure, etc.
Thank you for the recommendation on games.

On books, I've requested Dog Man from our local library to see if my kids like it before purchasing it. I'm also thinking about getting a set of science/nature books for kids, since my boy has declared that he wants to be a scientist (finally not garbage truck driver anymore:) and he likes Youtube videos on tornados, tsunamis, titanic, etc. There are a lot of kids science book out there -- is there a set/publisher you'd recommend? Thank you!
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Games:

Out foxed. Child’s version of clue- focusing on reason

Rhino hero. Card stacking game.

Books / comics are harder to guess with knowing the child. Have they mentioned anything specific?

I might suggest the Squirrel Girl trade paperbacks. Marvel universe. Aimed at slightly higher age group - may 7 or 8+, but that is about as low as Marvel goes. And it really is a great book. It has real lessons, stories, and humor.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 »

cs412a wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 pm If you want to find some good books for your kids, why not check with your local library? For instance, my niece is a librarian who specializes in children's literature; beyond knowing the classic children's literature, she is up to date on the best new books coming out. She's also knowledgeable regarding anime and gaming, although I don't know how much she focuses on board games.
That's a great idea! I used to take the kids to the library to play on the children's area and pick out a couple of books. Then COVID came and the library is closed. We haven't been in there for almost two years! Time to go back. Will also check with the librarian on their recommendations!
FraserFir

Post by FraserFir »

apple44 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:48 am
Thank you for the recommendation on games.

On books, I've requested Dog Man from our local library to see if my kids like it before purchasing it. I'm also thinking about getting a set of science/nature books for kids, since my boy has declared that he wants to be a scientist (finally not garbage truck driver anymore:) and he likes Youtube videos on tornados, tsunamis, titanic, etc. There are a lot of kids science book out there -- is there a set/publisher you'd recommend? Thank you!
The link I shared to the The Kids Should See This gift list has a ton of awesome science book options

We've really liked the Bone Collection books (pitched older than five but well illustrated), Life Size Animal Tracks, Do Not Lick This Book *It's Full of Germs and What Do They Do With All That Poo

The DK/ Smithsonian books are universally gorgeous
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

apple44 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 pm I would like to purchase some books and board games for my kids this holiday season. I have a 5 year old boy and a 2.5 year old girl. The boy asked for a comic book, but I'm open to all kinds of books that are suitable for his age.

Also would like to get some board games that the boy can enjoy (the little girl will just go along with whatever the rest of the family are doing:).

Is the five year old reading yet? Or is the request for books to be read to the kids?
Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 »

MarkRoulo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:28 am
apple44 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 pm I would like to purchase some books and board games for my kids this holiday season. I have a 5 year old boy and a 2.5 year old girl. The boy asked for a comic book, but I'm open to all kinds of books that are suitable for his age.

Is the five year old reading yet? Or is the request for books to be read to the kids?
Not reading yet. We'll read to him and his sister.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

apple44 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:56 am

The list can be endless, but I liked The Boxcar Children (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxcar_Children).

A list of classics would include the following series: But best is probably to go to a used book store or Goodwill Store and pick out a bunch that look fun. Buying new is something to avoid when possible as these will be much like clothes ... used for a bit and then no longer relevant (because the kids have moved on).

Kids at this age like having pictures (as your son has indicated) and there are a lot of comics and graphic books that aren't JUST for fun.
  • The "Graphic Library" series from Capstone is good ("The Donner Party"!! Illustrated! For kids!!!)
  • Classics Illustrated and Classics Illustrated Junior are great if you can find them
You have a boy, so "Horrible Histories" would be on the list to consider.
Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 »

MarkRoulo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:18 pm
The list can be endless, but I liked The Boxcar Children (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxcar_Children).

A list of classics would include the following series:
OMG I'm going to get the book about Olivia, a fictional pig, for my daughter. Her name is Olivia and she was born in the year of the pig (Chinese zodiac) so that book would be perfect!

Will also check out the other books you mentioned. When I was little I remember I had a sort of encyclopedia-type of book that had lots of informatio and illustrations that I read for years. That's the main reason I would like to get some set of science books for my son -- hopefully he'll enjoy them as much I did growing up.
Watty

Post by Watty »

apple44 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 pm I have a 5 year old boy and a 2.5 year old girl.
For your 2.5 year old the book "The Monster at the End of this Book" will likely go over very well. Both of my grand-kids loved that book when they were that age and I read it to them many times using an excited voice. No other book even came close for repeat readings.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Sesame-S ... 208&sr=8-1
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

MarkRoulo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:18 pm
apple44 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:56 am

[*] Berenstein Bears
Berenstain
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 to Chutes and Ladders.
Hungry Hungry Hippos and Trouble are fun for young kids too.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

alex_686 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 am Games:

Out foxed. Child’s version of clue- focusing on reason

Rhino hero. Card stacking game.

Books / comics are harder to guess with knowing the child. Have they mentioned anything specific?

I might suggest the Squirrel Girl trade paperbacks. Marvel universe. Aimed at slightly higher age group - may 7 or 8+, but that is about as low as Marvel goes. And it really is a great book. It has real lessons, stories, and humor.

I used to absolutely love "Clue".
Sounds like it would be fun to get "Out foxed" for the two grands.

I'm way overdue looking into these things. And I haven't kept up at all, so these lists will be really helpful.
Covid really delayed a lot of things, unfortunately, so it's time to start catching up. :happy
We finally were able to get together recently and get a bit of a start with chess in person, which was SO nice!

Should be fun!

Many thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.