Holiday 2021 Shipping Costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author

Holiday 2021 Shipping Costs

Post by 123 »

We normally ship (cross country) holidays gifts using USPS. This year when we did our point-and-click check of shipping costs we almost fell out of our chair when we saw expected USPS costs. What had cost $30 last year with USPS was $45 this year. When we did the point-and-click check of shipping costs with UPS (the offered us a discount code of "SOAR") we got a discounted cost of $29 so we are going with UPS. In past years we had done comparisons and it was a toss-up about who was better or cheaper. This year on all the comparisons we checked UPS always came out ahead, sometimes by a lot.

So be sure to consider alternative services if you routinely used USPS in the past. And be sure to ship early, the costs of last-minute shipping services is very dear.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
pizzy

Re: Holiday 2021 Shipping Costs

Post by pizzy »

123 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:56 pm We normally ship (cross country) holidays gifts using USPS. This year when we did our point-and-click check of shipping costs we almost fell out of our chair when we saw expected USPS costs. What had cost $30 last year with USPS was $45 this year. When we did the point-and-click check of shipping costs with UPS (the offered us a discount code of "SOAR") we got a discounted cost of $29 so we are going with UPS. In past years we had done comparisons and it was a toss-up about who was better or cheaper. This year on all the comparisons we checked UPS always came out ahead, sometimes by a lot.

So be sure to consider alternative services if you routinely used USPS in the past. And be sure to ship early, the costs of last-minute shipping services is very dear.
I’ll admit, I was expecting more than a $15 increase when I saw “fell out of our chair”
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
SpinPsycholer

Post by SpinPsycholer »

I just spent time researching. Pirateship.com. Approximately 1/2 price UPS shipping. $16 for a 5 lb box from Texas to California.
"Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for." -Marian Wright Edelman
Mr.Mosfet

Post by Mr.Mosfet »

Check Pirateship.com, costs for USPS and UPS are around 5%-20% less.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I ship a lot, anything more than 12" x 12" x 12" AND/OR over 2 pounds is usually cheaper with UPS on PirateShip than USPS.

I do always have plenty of laughs this time of the year in the USPS line, however. People bringing what is $20-30 worth of gifts and paying retail shipping for the same amount (or even more) to ship it.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

pizzy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:02 pm
123 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:56 pm We normally ship (cross country) holidays gifts using USPS. This year when we did our point-and-click check of shipping costs we almost fell out of our chair when we saw expected USPS costs. What had cost $30 last year with USPS was $45 this year. When we did the point-and-click check of shipping costs with UPS (the offered us a discount code of "SOAR") we got a discounted cost of $29 so we are going with UPS. In past years we had done comparisons and it was a toss-up about who was better or cheaper. This year on all the comparisons we checked UPS always came out ahead, sometimes by a lot.

I’ll admit, I was expecting more than a $15 increase when I saw “fell out of our chair”
Same. But then this got me laughing and I almost fell out of my chair
thedane

Post by thedane »

SpinPsycholer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:03 pm I just spent time researching. Pirateship.com. Approximately 1/2 price UPS shipping. $16 for a 5 lb box from Texas to California.
I second Pirateship. Great resource for creating discounted shipping labels.