Rent or buy a tux for a fancy wedding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blastoff

Rent or buy a tux for a fancy wedding

Post by blastoff »

Have a wedding to go to, and it will be a fairly fancy affair.

My understanding is black tie / tux for the guys.

What say the bogleheads...? Rent? Buy?

I'm 30s, so not a growing boy (at least up!), so could get more use out of it if buying.

Not interested in spending $1500 to buy. But something ok quality for $400-$700? Same recommendations as for suits or unique to tux?
Silk McCue

Re: Rent or buy a tux for a fancy wedding

Post by Silk McCue »

Are the guests requested to wear formal attire?

Cheers
Topic Author
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

That is my understanding. Not in the wedding, but am family.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I’d rent. This way if styles change you won’t be stuck with what you have. Also, I tend to dump clothes that I haven’t touched in over a year and there’s a very good likelihood I wouldn’t wear a tux for over a year.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Do you expect to wear a tux again? I'm 40, married, and been in about a dozen wedding parties; I've worn a tux twice in my life (both times for high school proms).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

How likely are you actually to wear a tux again?
If reasonably likely, how far in the future (if 'far', then who knows what might change)?

"Things" seem to be getting less and less formal, in general, although that may not affect what occasions you would be attending.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

No foreseeable need to wear again...

Used to have a use for a tux once or twice a year, but no more.

Recommendations on places to rent from?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Just google “tuxedo rentals” and the town or neighborhood you live in. Always get 2 shirts.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Rent. If you come back to a world where you're going to black-tie affairs often, then decide to buy.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Rent.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Rent.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
SR II

Post by SR II »

Styles change. Rent.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

It's rare to be at a wedding where formal is required for other attendees outside the wedding party/family. Check this, and rent if needed.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I have maintained a policy since 35 years ago that I will never wear a tuxedo. Any black tie event which I am loathe to go to ask me wearing a suit. I am now in my late 60s and will not even go to one of those events.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Agree with the above 2 replies: call the bride or groom and verify that you actually need a tuxedo. I've been to some fancy weddings and never needed anything more than a nice suit.

If you do need a tux for a wedding, that's weird.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I bought a tuxedo 20+ years ago and for a number of years got good use out of it. I regularly attended a black tie fundraiser for a business client and wore on several cruises during formal nights. But, it’s been ten years since I’ve worn it, and if I went on a cruise now and attended a formal night I’d probably skip the tux. I don’t think they are as big a deal on cruises as in the past. I’d rent unless you were certain you would wear multiple times in the future. I bought mine at Men’s Wearhouse. As noted above, to rent, just google tuxedo rental for your area.
worthit

Post by worthit »

blastoff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:31 pm No foreseeable need to wear again...

Used to have a use for a tux once or twice a year, but no more.

Recommendations on places to rent from?
OP, I bought a tuxedo 11 years ago for a corporate function thinking that I will be using it more often. Guess what, that was the only time I have used it. Since then it has been in the closet. Complete waste of money. However my thoughts back then were different thinking I would need it for my corporate ladder climbing exercise. Now older and wiser, I am not sure I would have bought it.

As far as renting, you may want to check out Men's Wearhouse. They have a good collection. I rented a brides man suit few years ago for a wedding of a friend of mine. Was very reasonable and very straightforward to deal with them.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

+1 for rent.

Had two relatives get married this past year, both had groom & groomsmen & ushers (as well as optionally bride/groom dad and grandpa) in tuxes. Selected styles were drastically different.

As for where to rent, might want to find out where bridal party is renting from. They may even provide a "drop off" service from a hotel for the wedding party, so you could simply leave your tux with everyone else and not need to drop it off at the rental.
henry

Post by henry »

I would rent. If the wedding is local, I would probably just find a local place that rents tuxedos where you live.

I have rented tuxedos from Men's Wearhouse for weddings twice though. Once was at a wedding across the country where I was a part of the wedding party and groom asked that I match the style of one of the other groomsmen. Got fitted at a Men's Wearhouse near my home and then picked it up and dropped it off at a Men's Wearhouse near where the wedding was so I didn't have to carry it on the plane with me. Rental cost was about $160 although that was about 10 years ago.
Hiker8

Post by Hiker8 »

Before debating whether or not to buy or rent a tux I’d first be 100% certain it’s a black tie wedding.that being said, just rent. From my experience formal events where guests are required to wear tux’s aren't very common. If you end up being in a wedding party where you need to wear a tux odds are the style will be different from the tux you own.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I'd rent, or better yet, just wear an existing suit. Anything darker than navy blue and charcoal grey will get you through.

Issue with buying a tuxedo is that you need to buy them at least a month before the event. In addition, you have to buy all of the accoutrement that goes with "black tie", cuff links, tuxedo shirt, shirt studs, patent black shoes, suspenders, bow ties… also if you're buying a tux you might as well figure out how to tie a self-tie bow tie versus a clip on, it's all a very slippery slope of buying a bunch of niche items that collect dust in your dresser and valet.

If you need to buy, check out consignment shops, season closeouts, discounts stores and estate sales. This will be difficult if you have a limited time window but if you do have the time, it can save you 70-90% on the outlay.

If you have to do retail, check out Brooks Brothers or Indochino.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

blastoff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 pm Have a wedding to go to, and it will be a fairly fancy affair.

I'm 30s, so not a growing boy (at least up!), so could get more use out of it if buying.

Not interested in spending $1500 to buy. But something ok quality for $400-$700? Same recommendations as for suits or unique to tux?
My niece's fancy wedding a few years ago stated black tie so I rented a tux. At the wedding and reception maybe 5% of the multiple hundred male guests were wearing tuxes. Fool me once...
AA: 38/43/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds | DW retired 2019, I retired 2022, "it'll be fine"
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

DW and I were invited to her friend's black tie wedding. DW politely asked if it was black tie optional. Groom responded that dark suit was acceptable. At the wedding, >95% of the male guests wore dark suits.

I've been to many weddings and only 2 outfits remain in my memory. DW in her wedding gown and some guy who must've borrowed a tux from the Rock at the wedding mentioned above. Looked like he was draped in a parachute disguised as a tux.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

1. tasteful tux styles dont change

2. most people dont know any better, anyway

3. youre not the the primary party so its your choice either way
Topic Author
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Thanks all.

I'll plan to rent, if I need one.

But it sounds like I should confirm a tux is really needed vs a dark suit. In that case, I won't rent.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I have one, and I don't think an expensive one is required. I sing barbershop, and I only wear it in costume, but I wear mine a lot. I'm probably not going to be invited to any black tie affair, ever, here in Appalachia.

But again, of all the suits I have, the tux is by far the cheapest to buy. Mine is a style that will never change, but i could add a new vest and tie once in a while.
This time is the same
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

blastoff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 am Thanks all.

I'll plan to rent, if I need one.

But it sounds like I should confirm a tux is really needed vs a dark suit. In that case, I won't rent.
If you show up in a decent dark suit, what are they going to do, throw you out? "Gettaouttahere, ya bum!"

Just make sure it fits properly.

And shine your shoes.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
davebo

Post by davebo »

Don't buy it, styles change. Generally if you're in a wedding, the bridal party will want you all to have the exact same tux. I don't think people really wear tuxes as much now, I feel like they fell out of favor in the early 2000's.
hand

Post by hand »

Ugh, Cheesy rental for $100 vs passable looking tuxedo for $400 (and sales likely given the crash in public events).

Unless this is certain to be a one-time event or your weight is expected to change dramatically, I don't know how this is even a question - 100% buy.
Worst case you're out $300, best case between New Year's and other events you break even, can dress up on short notice and look dramatically better.

P.S. Invest in decent black dress shoes vs the plasticky junk the rental companies push on you.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hand wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am Ugh, Cheesy rental for $100 vs passable looking tuxedo for $400 (and sales likely given the crash in public events).

Unless this is certain to be a one-time event or your weight is expected to change dramatically, I don't know how this is even a question - 100% buy.
Worst case you're out $300, best case between New Year's and other events you break even, can dress up on short notice and look dramatically better.

P.S. Invest in decent black dress shoes vs the plasticky junk the rental companies push on you.
Seems like pretty much everybody else thinks this is a valid question. Even more valid considering OP may not ever need a tux again (may not even need it for this event).
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

I bought a really nice black suit a few years ago. Have worn it to black tie events and to funerals. Just need to wear a tie that is appropriate for the specific occasion.

It did cause an awkward situation once. At my father's funeral, I was standing in front of the church wearing the suit. The funeral director approached me and said, "Okay, we need to get the casket." He thought I was one of his employees. Based on my facial expression, he immediately realized his mistake and apologized.
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

OP:
When I needed a tux (about 8 years ago) I tried to rent. It was expensive, and I found a tux on sale for less than a one time rental fee. I’ve used it 4 times. Check sale prices before you decide.
BG
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

When I was married in the mid 80's, I wore a tux as the groom and the groomsmen also did. ALL were rented from the same shop to guaranty they all matched. If this isn't being done, then it's quite likely you won't match.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
wander

Post by wander »

Look for men's wearhouse. They have a lot of option for you.
windaar

Post by windaar »

"Black Tie" means black tie. "Formal" means black tie optional.
Nobody knows nothing.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

blastoff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 pm Have a wedding to go to, and it will be a fairly fancy affair.

You are not in the wedding party,but need a tux? I would check on that. In my social circles, tuxes are worn by the wedding party and the fathers of the bride and groom. Every other male wears a suit.
Wearing a tux would be like a woman other than the bride wearing white.

I have rented the few times I've worn a tux.

How many times will you wear a tux?

Suits are different. You will wear a suit to many occasions.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

I bought a tux over 10 years ago for ~$1800, and I've probably worn it 30 times. It is still in great shape and looks good. While I didn't intend for it to be a good financial decision, it was. A lot of galas and other formal events I guess.

If you're going to be attending black tie events more than a couple times in the next 5-10 years, definitely buy. It's a good investment and you'll look good because it will be a more modern look and it will be tailored to you. If you have a tux and the significant other says you're going to a black tie wedding or something it's nice to know you don't have to worry about what to wear.

With rentals, just make sure you find a good spot. Often it's hard to find a place that has decent tuxedos. Some make it look like you're going to prom because they use very exaggerated styles or features that don't really work well for your body type. Others have good stuff, but might be so expensive that buying makes more sense.

:sharebeer
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Rent or use a black suit that you might already own or want anyway with a tuxedo shirt, bow tie and cuffs. Gives you more flexibility and appropriate except if the wedding party insist on a tux (no comment if they do). I have a nice tailor made black suit and use it on the rare occasion (not used for > 4 years, last time was a funeral) with an appropriate shirt and bow tie / tie. I also do have cuffs but didn't use them for an even longer time.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

Even if OP wants to buy, it would make sense to rent the first time so he’ll have some tux familiarity when shopping for one. Maybe he’ll see different types of tuxes at the event and can decide what style he likes best.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I know I’m probably in the minority here, but I think you should buy a nice one and wear it when you need. Cheap clothes look exactly that - cheap.

My money is where my mouth is with a custom tuxedo from Martin Greenfields, which I wear about 1x/yr. It’s a 20 year purchase since worn so infrequently.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Just adding a couple more comments. There’s more to buy than just the tuxedo. You have a choice of several shirt styles depending on your necktie or bow tie. I have both a cumber bund and a vest, along with suspenders. A friend of mine had several different vests that set him apart from the crowd. I have a nice set of cuff links with matching button studs. As a number of others have said, make sure you have a good quality pair of black shoes.

Or, skip the tux and get a kilt. :)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Rent. Weddings (like the rest of life) are trending toward the more informal.
What use do you expect to get out of a tux in the future? When?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

What style are you planning on going with? Shirt + tie + vest? Bow tie + cummerbund? Other?

I agree on rent the tux but like the idea of owning my own shirt and possibly tie. In my experience, rental shirts are pretty poor quality.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Just rent it, unless you plan on frequently attending fancy highbrow affairs like art gallery opening galas and charity balls for the rest of your life, which most people don't.

If someone in my extended family planned on having a "black tie" wedding, some of the "elders" would speak with them and talk them out of it pretty quickly. Nobody really wants to wear that stuff.

The last regular suit I bought was probably 8 years ago and I haven't worn it once since that event I bought it for. Society is trending more casual in clothing for all events and the pandemic only accelerated this.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

hand wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am Ugh, Cheesy rental for $100 vs passable looking tuxedo for $400 (and sales likely given the crash in public events).

I don't think it is possible to disagree more with a conclusion than I do with yours.

I've rented a tux several times, a great looking setup for a shade under $200. The retail was $900, probably could have gotten it for $500 with some pushing and effort, but the last time I wore a tux I had control over was in 2013. (My best friend got married in 2016 but requested the groomsmen all rent the same tuxedo for parity, so even if I had owned, I would have rented anyway.)

Every man needs to own a suit or two that they look sharp in. Renting, however, is the way to go here for a tux.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I used to perform in an honor guard for funerals that required tuxedos. I wore a pair of black dress pants (without the tux stripe) and a black suit jacket with a tuxedo inner shirt, bow tie and cummerbund. The shirt, bow tie and cummerbund probably cost me around $100. I wore that outfit probably for a decade and not one person noticed (that I was aware) that I wasn't wearing a real tuxedo and was only wearing a black suit with tuxedo accessories. I eventually splurged and bought the tuxedo pants and jacket only to leave the honor guard after a handful of years and I haven't worn them since. I still wear the black suit on occasion though.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:20 am I used to perform in an honor guard for funerals that required tuxedos. I wore a pair of black dress pants (without the tux stripe) and a black suit jacket with a tuxedo inner shirt, bow tie and cummerbund. The shirt, bow tie and cummerbund probably cost me around $100. I wore that outfit probably for a decade and not one person noticed (that I was aware) that I wasn't wearing a real tuxedo and was only wearing a black suit with tuxedo accessories. I eventually splurged and bought the tuxedo pants and jacket only to leave the honor guard after a handful of years and I haven't worn them since. I still wear the black suit on occasion though.

Thank you for your past service.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Buy a comfortable tropical weight black wool gabardine suit for $200 to $400 at a discounter (not sure who's in business anymore, but I bought my husband's suits at Loehmann's, Syms, and Men's Warehouse in the past). Get a bow tie, cumberbund, and pleated shirt for blacktie. Assuming you stay the same size, you can wear the black suit for any formal event, interviews, and funerals.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I'll speak as another voice for the minority.

BUY a reasonably priced, standard black tuxedo. (I bought mine at Mens Wearhouse years ago; if you get a basic cut, it will be in style forever.) Get a couple of white, pleated tux shirts. Purchase a bow tie, cummerbund, and cufflink/stud set. Wear black socks and nice shoes.

Why? YOU WILL LOOK GREAT!!

When I was married the 2nd time in 2000, my adult son was my best man. I bought him a tux for the occasion. He and I both looked GREAT!

YOU WILL TOO!

In the future, there will be occasions to wear it. Maybe once a year. Maybe twice. Or maybe less. It's not important. You'll have it ready when you need it. Every time you wear your tux, you will look GREAT!

The women and the men present will look at you and think about how GREAT you look.

Did James Bond rent his tux?

I was on a cruise last week and wore my tux twice. I looked GREAT and people told me so. It's no big deal to pack and wear. It's a mind set, really. There are two kinds of men--those who avoid dressing up (e.g. a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops whenever they can), and those who have a tux in their closet for special occasions. (I plan to be buried in my tux, btw. That's a special occasion.)

Did I mention how GREAT you will look whenever you wear your tuxedo?
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche