[Replace] the washer and dryer now or later?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mschurner

[Replace] the washer and dryer now or later?

Post by mschurner »

Hello all,

I would like to get suggestions/ opinions about replacing the washer and dryer. 

We have a top loading washer and dryer. It's about 15 years old. It is Kenmore top loading agitator type.  About two weeks ago, DW put some heavy blanket in the washer. For whatever reason water leaked from the washer. Carpet next to the washer got wet then water seeped down and started dripping down through the smoke detector below.  Obviously it triggered the alarms. She got freaked out by all the beeping and water dripping down from the smoke detector to the living room.  DW realized the water leakage at this point.  She was able to shut down everything and cleaned up everything. After a few days she again tried washing with half the load. She noticed no trouble. I was out of home when this happened. When I came back, I saw no major issues at the bottom of the dryer.  I tried full load and had no trouble either. It is working just fine. We had no issues with the dryer. 
What would be the best course of action? 

My options include. 

1. Washer already had 15 years of run. Go ahead and replace both washer and dryer now.

2. I have been looking at a specific model at Costco. It is not on sale. It was on sale a few months ago. It was about a $600 discount. Keep Looking for a nice deal and then replace in a few months regardless. 

3. We got in trouble just once. It could be very well from the heavy blanket.  We have no trouble since then. Beat the current one as long as we can. Who knows, it might run for another five years. When it shows another sign of trouble, replace them at that time. I may not be able to wait at that point. I may end up buying at a premium. Meanwhile we will wash blankets in the Laundromat. It will cost about 20-25 dollars every month washing those heavy blankets.

4. Look for appliance repair around and see how much it will cost to figure out and fix the repair either now or at the next sign of trouble. 

I travel out of home frequently for two weeks work trip.  DW has to manage whatever happens when I'm away. She won't be able to go out to the coin laundry by herself.  I can easily afford a washer and dryer set.
What would you all recommend? Thank you.
livesoft

Re: Upload the washer and dryer now or later?

Post by livesoft »

I would not replace anything and carry on as if nothing had happened. I've repaired my Kenmore (aka Whirlpool et al) washer a few times. It is easy. Our washer and dryer were purchased in 1994, so that means they are 28 years old and still working well.

We had one overflow which was a US nickel from a pants pocket that got out and blocked the drain hose. Very simple fix.

Why are you all washing heavy blankets anyways? Have the dry cleaners pick them up, do what they do, and deliver them back. We do not own any heavy blankets ourselves, so I am not quite sure what is going on.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

No way I would replace a washer that old unless faced with a known large repair bill. Newer units are not anywhere near as reliable.

When we had a top load, we would wash our comforters at the laundromat. But that's only a couple of times a year, so not sure how you're translating that to $25/mo. It was maybe $8-10 per year.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Sounds like the washer was simply overloaded and leaked water over the upper tub rim. Unless you see other signs of leakage, use it until it truly dies.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

If you replace, expect you will need to replace again in 5 years. The new washers are not reliable.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

We had that exact thing happen recently (as far as the washer is concerned, not the smoke detector bit). After washing a mattress topper (My bad. Didn’t realize that DW washes it, by hand, in the bathtub.), I noticed some water on the floor in front of the washer. I checked all around and could not find a supply leak. The water was only at the front, so it was not a problem from where the washer drains into the wall. I cleaned up the small amount of water and washed a few test loads (monitoring along the way) and never saw any more leaked water. My guess was that washing the topper was just too much and water sloshed out of the tub. Washer has been fine (over a month) since.

If your washer is not leaking now, I wouldn’t worry about it. Keep an eye on things, but no need to replace. It you wanted to head off a similar problem in the future (aside from not washing heavy blankets), you could arrange to have a tray installed under your washer to catch any incidental leaks.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

Put the blankets or whatever in a duvet cover. Then just periodically wash the lightweight duvet cover. You shouldn’t need to wash heavy blankets every month.

Sounds like you just overloaded the washer. Don’t do that and you’ll be fine. The spillover tray is a great idea for washing machines, especially those on second floors.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Get rid of it them and replace it with whatever the wife likes.
twh

Post by twh »

Buy this for $12 and put it behind the washer...it will go off if there is a future incident:
Google for Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm
Topic Author
mschurner

Post by mschurner »

Thank you all for the responses.

I do think it happened quite likely from the heavy load/overload. DW has been washing all the sheets, blankets and comforters quite often. I'll ask her to back down a little bit so that I can wash the heavy stuff once every few months.

@walkabout.
If your washer is not leaking now, I wouldn’t worry about it. Keep an eye on things, but no need to replace. It you wanted to head off a similar problem in the future (aside from not washing heavy blankets), you could arrange to have a tray installed under your washer to catch any incidental leaks.
We do have tray down. It got filled and then water spilled down.
Get rid of it them and replace it with whatever the wife likes.
DW is fine for now as long as it doesn't give any trouble. I have been wondering whether to replace it or not when I come across a pretty good deal in a few months. Looks like I'm going to sit tight and see.
Again thank you all.
dual

Post by dual »

This thread on smart versus dumb appliances may interest you

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... ?t=321577
Topic Author
mschurner

Post by mschurner »

twh wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 pm Buy this for $12 and put it behind the washer...it will go off if there is a future incident:
I think it would be very useful. Placed the order. Will fix it next to the washer. Thank you.
Watty

Post by Watty »

As someone mentioned you can get inexpensive water sensors that are vaguely like a smoke alarm and then only do laundry when someone is home. I only do laundry when I am around since there is a chance of an unbalanced load or a problem with a dryer that could burn down your house, but that is just me. I also have smoke detector in the laundry area.
mschurner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am 1. Washer already had 15 years of run. Go ahead and replace both washer and dryer now.
There is no need to get a new dryer just because you get a new washing machine. Dryers will typically last a lot longer than a washing machine because they are a lot simpler.
mschurner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am 2. I have been looking at a specific model at Costco. It is not on sale. It was on sale a few months ago. It was about a $600 discount. Keep Looking for a nice deal and then replace in a few months regardless.
A $600 discount implies that they must be real high end machines. In addition to the cost having lots of features also means that there are more things to break. I bought a new washing machine last spring and I stuck with midrange top loading model just to have a less complex machine.

Costco is great because of the extended warranty that you get so if you get a new one be sure to look into that.

Be sure to look at the actual availability. At least last spring when I bought one washing machines were in short supply because of the supply chain problems. My old washing machine was not working and to get one from Costco would have taken a month or more and I was flexible about which model to buy. I ended up getting it elsewhere in less than a week.

Be sure to look into the parts available. I recall seeing posts about LG and Samsung parts taking many months to get so I avoid those brands.
twh

Post by twh »

It is hard getting any appliance you want right now. It sounds like a one-time event, but even if it wasn't, it can likely be fixed for less money and hassle than getting a new machine.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I would not recommend a new WD as it sounds like you have identified the problem. I would recommend taking any large loads like blankets etc to a laundry mat where they have machines that will handle them. Remember the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

mschurner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am About two weeks ago, DW put some heavy blanket in the washer. For whatever reason water leaked from the washer. Carpet next to the washer got wet then water seeped down and started dripping down through the smoke detector below.  Obviously it triggered the alarms.
Your agitator Kenmore washer (likely Whirlpool, check the model # prefix for 110. or similar) uses a pressure switch to determine when the washer has enough water to turn off the inlet valves and continue the cycle.

Placing a bulky blanket displaced a lot of water, which allowed the level to rise above the blanket without enough weight (pressure) to trip the sensor before the tub overflowed, or enough (heavy) water saturated the large blanket.

Assuming all of the internal parts that got wet have dried out, there should be no lasting problems.

Going forward, don't put bulky items in the washer without keeping a close eye on the water level during the fill. Even better, take bulky items to a larger machine designed for it, e.g. laundromat.
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

If you do end up replacing it, skip all the fancy crap they sell in the box stores and buy a speed queen classic. It's no frills and built the way units were 30+ years ago and should last.

That's at least from the research I did when I thought I was going to buy new units. I ended up repairing mine, but the speed queen's are what I will buy when my current 20+ year old maytags finally break and are not feasible or cost effective to repair myself.
Sprucebark

Post by Sprucebark »

livesoft wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am Why are you all washing heavy blankets anyways? Have the dry cleaners pick them up, do what they do, and deliver them back. We do not own any heavy blankets ourselves, so I am not quite sure what is going on.
A rug is probably ok because you are not wearing it on your body, but I’ve always wondered about the chemicals used in dry cleaning. They are probably not the best things to be exposed to.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sprucebark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 am
livesoft wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am Why are you all washing heavy blankets anyways? Have the dry cleaners pick them up, do what they do, and deliver them back. We do not own any heavy blankets ourselves, so I am not quite sure what is going on.
A rug is probably ok because you are not wearing it on your body, but I’ve always wondered about the chemicals used in dry cleaning. They are probably not the best things to be exposed to.
Maybe I should have just written "cleaners." and not "dry cleaners." Or just "washing service." I haven't used any of them in over 20 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Sprucebark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 am A rug is probably ok because you are not wearing it on your body, but I’ve always wondered about the chemicals used in dry cleaning. They are probably not the best things to be exposed to.
I won't comment on any potential health effects as that violates forum rules. But the solvents used in Dry Cleaning are chosen in large part because they evaporate into the air very rapidly. Leaving behind a residue would run counter to their primary goal of cleaning the clothes.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

twh wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 pm Buy this for $12 and put it behind the washer...it will go off if there is a future incident:
...and add a pan under the washer to contain any small leaks

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-Washing- ... e/50195167
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Alternatively, take heavy items to a DIY laundromat with heavy duty commercial grade machines. There are some very nice laundromats, I have learned. Some have drop-off services.

Here is a nice chain near me. https://www.supersudslaundrymat.com/

I am not wild about environmental impact of dry-cleaning chemicals.
hudson

Re: [Replace] the washer and dryer now or later?

Post by hudson »

mschurner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am I would like to get suggestions/ opinions about replacing the washer and dryer. 

We have a top loading washer and dryer. It's about 15 years old. It is Kenmore top loading agitator type.  We had no issues with the dryer. 

1. Washer already had 15 years of run. Go ahead and replace both washer and dryer now.
I would replace both. I'd have the highest quality hook up hoses/ducts installed. I would also have the dryer vent checked/cleaned. I'd want to inspect that vent before the new dryer was installed.

Why? Internal washer hoses and seals are old. The 14 year old dryer likely has a build up of lint.

My plan is to replace both at 10 years along with the water heater. I'll go to a local appliance store and talk to the owner. I'll ask him what he has in his house and order what he has. He's already told me that he doesn't clean dryer vents, but he can get it done.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

You can purchase a dryer vent cleaning kit at Amazon for $11 - $30, depending on the length required. Cleaning the vent is easy & by doing it every year or so, the increased airflow helps the dryer operate more efficiently.
hudson

Post by hudson »

bradinsky wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am You can purchase a dryer vent cleaning kit at Amazon for $11 - $30, depending on the length required. Cleaning the vent is easy & by doing it every year or so, the increased airflow helps the dryer operate more efficiently.
sold! https://www.amazon.com/Smart-House-Inc- ... 718&sr=8-3

I should probably do that myself. The hard part for me is getting the hook up right between the dryer and where the vent pipe comes out of the wall. If I was a pretzel, I could do it.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

hudson wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 am
bradinsky wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am You can purchase a dryer vent cleaning kit at Amazon for $11 - $30, depending on the length required. Cleaning the vent is easy & by doing it every year or so, the increased airflow helps the dryer operate more efficiently.
sold! https://www.amazon.com/Smart-House-Inc- ... 718&sr=8-3

I should probably do that myself. The hard part for me is getting the hook up right between the dryer and where the vent pipe comes out of the wall. If I was a pretzel, I could do it.
+1 I agree with that :sharebeer
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I'm in the "keep the washer" camp. My Kenmore top-loader (built by Whirlpool) is 31 years old (You can tell from the serial number who built the washer and when.) Recently I had to replace the motor coupler and I was totally amazed at how easy it was and the easy availability of parts. Except for two bolts, the entire machine came apart without tools. You lift off the cover and all the mechanical parts are easily accessible. Even if you don't DIY, that's got to translate into less expensive service calls. Although I'm not one to carp about "all the new stuff is crappy", that does pretty much match my daughter's experience with new washers (obviously too small a sample to make generalizations). Like others, I recently experienced some water outside the washer after a heavy load. Never happened before or since.

My advice to the OP: there should be a drain pipe on the pan under the washer.
Toons

Post by Toons »

New
Now Is The Time
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Bogle7

Ventless dryer

Post by Bogle7 »

hudson wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:28 amI would replace both. I'd have the highest quality hook up hoses/ducts installed..
Nope. Go condensing heat pump ventless. No ductwork. Saves on electricity. We really like ours.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

As a former washer designer, there really isn't much that could cause a leak that comes and goes. Most leaks are either through a hose connection or a hose itself coming loose or the water containment tub (outside the clothes basket where you put your clothes) rusts out and many these days are extruded plastic. It would continue to happen every single time if it was one of those. So most likely, since it hasn't done it again, any water came out the top of the machine due to a loading condition.

Normally, new washers could be easily obtained so I would use it until it broke and then go buy a replacement and install it the same day. But in this new era, I guess I would maybe take a gander at the supply at the local appliance dealer. If they have plentiful supply, I would still continue on with the old one. If not, I might perhaps place an order if I saw a good deal and call it being proactive.