Good source of cell phone batteries?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
egrets

Good source of cell phone batteries?

Post by egrets »

I finally solved my going from 3G to 4G flip phones on Consumer Cellular woes described in another thread by buying some used Doro 7050s via ebay. The key repeat problem that I may have mentioned there turns out to be fixed by a factory reset.

Now I am thinking I may need new batteries. At least one of the phones has a noticeable drop in its battery level by the 2nd or 3rd day.

Is there a reputable online source of cell phone batteries?

Thank you.
BH_RedRan

Re: Good source of cell phone batteries?

Post by BH_RedRan »

Good question. I've replaced several batteries in Samsung and Motorola phones with mixed results. My source was mainly batteries from Amazon. The best I can say about it is that it is a crapshoot.

Case 1
Bought a "genuine" Samsung battery. It was genuine... manufactured 5 years prior to my purchase. It was very weak and did not hold a charge.

Cases 3-5
Several random brands from Amazon. Most did not hold a charge like the originals but they did buy at least another year of operation. I didn't do any scientific measurements brand to brand but they all seemed to be about the same. With phones being so expensive I don't mind just replacing once a year or so for $30-40. I just keep them on the charger more often it it works out fine.

I am hoping someone else has a better experience than this. I am monitoring this thread intently!
twh

Post by twh »

The main this is the lithium ion batteries are potentially dangerous. An improperly designed or and/or manufactured battery can spontaneously burst into flames and burn your house down. So, getting a random battery off eBay or Amazon is not a good idea. if you find one shipped and sold by Amazon, maybe. If you find a genuine one, ok. If not, I'd stick with a reputable retailer -- say something like BatteriesPlus. There is some sense they have at least a bit of scrutiny on their supply chain.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

egrets wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:23 pm. At least one of the phones has a noticeable drop in its battery level by the 2nd or 3rd day.
:shock: I know a little-used flip phone should last a while but only a "noticeable drop" by the 3rd day sounds amazing to me.

How much battery life were you getting new?
telemark

Post by telemark »

I usually order online from Batteries Plus and then pick it up in the store; this lets me drop off the old battery for disposal.

Maybe something like this

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/cel12809
Topic Author
egrets

Post by egrets »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 pm
egrets wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:23 pm. At least one of the phones has a noticeable drop in its battery level by the 2nd or 3rd day.
:shock: I know a little-used flip phone should last a while but only a "noticeable drop" by the 3rd day sounds amazing to me.

I keep one in my pocketbook (turned off) in case I have to call AAA or something. Every few weeks or so I remember to charge it. So it's not like it's burning up electrons doing something. All but one of my phones are just in case backups like that (up on the second floor, in the bathroom in case i fall, etc.). The one I actually use I put on a charger pretty much whenever I'm at home not using it, i.e. reading or something.

It's a backup one that I noticed a decrease of charge on. Perhaps you have smart phones and they lose charge faster even when not in use?
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Regarding phones "bursting into flames". I guess it is a consideration. However, my wife's new Moto phone had its battery expand, emit smoke and break the glass after less than a year of usage. I assume Moto has control over their production but I guess there are no guarantees.

To get more specific, the following brands have NOT burst into flames over the years for me. High praise indeed :-).

E-YIIVIIL EB-BG930ABE Replacement Battery Shenzhen DeRui Trading Limited Company (For samsung)

SHENMZ Samsung battery, AEX Power mfgr.

MAXBEAR Moto battery, HZ40

UOUO EQ40 for Moto. My recollection is that this one was sort of a dud. It would not hold much charge.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I always order from ifixit if I need to replace a battery. For one, they have good tutorials for what you actually need to do, but mainly because they tend to filter out the junk. And in case you actually do get a bad one, they are a legitimate company and will process an exchange/refund.

The problem with buying off Ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, or any other marketplace is that 99% of "genuine" batteries are counterfeit, and the 1% of truly genuine batteries are so old that they've degraded significantly even if they are new. You could get a good counterfeit that works reasonably well, or you could get garbage. No way to know.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

egrets wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:52 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 pm :shock: I know a little-used flip phone should last a while but only a "noticeable drop" by the 3rd day sounds amazing to me.

I keep one in my pocketbook (turned off) in case I have to call AAA or something. Every few weeks or so I remember to charge it. So it's not like it's burning up electrons doing something. All but one of my phones are just in case backups like that (up on the second floor, in the bathroom in case i fall, etc.). The one I actually use I put on a charger pretty much whenever I'm at home not using it, i.e. reading or something.

It's a backup one that I noticed a decrease of charge on. Perhaps you have smart phones and they lose charge faster even when not in use?
The not in use part is what I was missing, I suppose. Indeed, turned off there shouldn't be much self-discharge from a healthy lithium ion battery.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I just go to a local geek.
Great service, very reasonable pricing, and good conversation- you might learn something from the brilliant 20-something. Plus he or she probably needs the money.

Replacing a battery in a good working phone is a very economical solution.

I used to do it myself, but it is hardly worth it.
Topic Author
egrets

Post by egrets »

protagonist wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:09 pm I used to do it myself, but it is hardly worth it.
With my Doros, just slide the case open and the battery can be lifted out and a new one could be plopped in. I know this because I've been messing with SIMs to copy my phonebook as I go to 4G phones, and the SIMs live under the battery.

It's a devil of a job getting the SIMs in and out, however, hard to budge and even if they move there is a finite chance of breaking them.
twh

Post by twh »

Despite them looking fragile, breaking a SIM card isn't gonna happen. Use a pin or thumbtack or other sharp thing to pull it out.