COVID Rapid Test for re-entry to US

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

COVID Rapid Test for re-entry to US

Post by retire14 »

Has anyone used this test or similar products ? Are results acceptable for re-entry? Is 2-hr turn-around reliable? Thanks.
https://qured.us/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnaeNBhC ... NTEALw_wcB
oxothuk

Re: COVID Rapid Test for re-entry to US

Post by oxothuk »

retire14 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm Has anyone used this test or similar products ? Are results acceptable for re-entry? Is 2-hr turn-around reliable? Thanks.
I haven't used this product, but I have used a similar one - the Abbott BinaxNow test with proctoring by Emed. The Emed test does not require an appointment, you just sign on when you are ready to take the test. Results are available in 15 minutes.

I've used this approach three times so far - for entry into Italy, return from Italy, and return from Brazil.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:50 am
retire14 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm Has anyone used this test or similar products ? Are results acceptable for re-entry? Is 2-hr turn-around reliable? Thanks.
I haven't used this product, but I have used a similar one - the Abbott BinaxNow test with proctoring by Emed. The Emed test does not require an appointment, you just sign on when you are ready to take the test. Results are available in 15 minutes.

I've used this approach three times so far - for entry into Italy, return from Italy, and return from Brazil.
I have also used this supervised Abbott test. No complaints. Just make sure you have a good Internet connection and a small table when you do the test. I did mine from a hotel room.

The results are sent to your phone quickly after you complete the test.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

Are you saying you were able to take that test when traveling from US to Italy, and nobody (especially the US airline) complained?

I used the Abbott test last year for my re-entry to the US from Europe, but didn’t think it was possible the other way around, so I got a PCR test at a clinic when leaving the US. I read on Reddit that some people were asked for a test receipt that showed the clinic address where the test was taken, which is not present in the PDF emailed by Abbott.

If what you are saying is true, this would make international travel much more convenient for myself moving forward! The most time consuming part is finding a test site in the US in the right time window etc.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Personally, I want to minimize the risk that my test results are not accepted by the airline. I’ll be going to a test center for Europe to US travel, as I have done in the past only now it will need to be a rapid test to meet the one day requirement.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'd be looking at all relevant airline and country websites on a daily basis. If they cite a recommended test method I'd use that one.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

deanmoriarty wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am
Are you saying you were able to take that test when traveling from US to Italy, and nobody (especially the US airline) complained?
I was flying on BA. The Abbott test is an antigen test, which is what Italy required at the time (September).
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

deanmoriarty wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am

I used the Abbott test last year for my re-entry to the US from Europe, but didn’t think it was possible the other way around, so I got a PCR test at a clinic when leaving the US. I read on Reddit that some people were asked for a test receipt that showed the clinic address where the test was taken, which is not present in the PDF emailed by Abbott.

If what you are saying is true, this would make international travel much more convenient for myself moving forward! The most time consuming part is finding a test site in the US in the right time window etc.
The Abbott test is about 50% reliable if you don't have symptoms (which is most people, I'm guessing...)
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/ ... 683379001/
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

sunny_socal wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 am
The Abbott test is about 50% reliable if you don't have symptoms (which is most people, I'm guessing...)
What is your point and how is it related to my question? It is officially accepted by the US government as a test when re-entering from an international trip. That’s good enough for me.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't want to be lugging covid test kits with me from the US to Europe. When I resume travel, my plan will be to take a test at a European testing facility before returning home.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 am I don't want to be lugging covid test kits with me from the US to Europe. When I resume travel, my plan will be to take a test at a European testing facility before returning home.
Counterpoint: I don’t want to waste time at my destination (or at my origin either) running around clinics, so I prefer to take a test in the comfort of my room that will just take 15 mins end of end. The test comes in an incredibly lightweight and small paper box that can be stoved in your carry on without any loss whatsoever of luggage capacity.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

deanmoriarty wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:48 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 am I don't want to be lugging covid test kits with me from the US to Europe. When I resume travel, my plan will be to take a test at a European testing facility before returning home.
Counterpoint: I don’t want to waste time at my destination (or at my origin either) running around clinics, so I prefer to take a test in the comfort of my room that will just take 15 mins end of end. The test comes in an incredibly lightweight and small paper box that can be stoved in your carry on without any loss whatsoever of luggage capacity.
From talking to my friends who have been to Europe recently, there isn't any wasting time "running around clinics" required. Usually your hotel sends you to the pharmacy across the street, and you're done in no time. Europe has wonderful pharmacies, not all like CVS or Walgreens.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:50 am
From talking to my friends who have been to Europe recently, there isn't any wasting time "running around clinics" required. Usually your hotel sends you to the pharmacy across the street, and you're done in no time. Europe has wonderful pharmacies, not all like CVS or Walgreens.
Probably location specific. But agree, that's what we did on our EU trips this year. Scheduled the test on line, showed up at the pharmacy 1 block from hotel, waited 15 mins for the results and printout.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

diy60 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:55 am
Probably location specific. But agree, that's what we did on our EU trips this year. Scheduled the test on line, showed up at the pharmacy 1 block from hotel, waited 15 mins for the results and printout.
That works just for a very specific type of travel. My last trip to Europe in August 2021 involved staying in an Airbnb in the countryside of a Mediterranean country (nature trip): I reassure you there was no pharmacy whatsoever across the street, nor anyone in my Airbnb helping me with any booking. I did the Abbott test between waking up and showering while in my pajamas, in 15 minutes, on my iPhone. Infinite convenience.
Last edited by deanmoriarty on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildCat48

Post by WildCat48 »

Agree with the posts above about the Abbott tests with proctoring by Emed, it's worked for me 2x coming back from Europe, and 1x coming back from Dubai.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

deanmoriarty wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 pm That works just for a very specific type of travel. My last trip to Europe in August 2021 involved staying in an Airbnb in the countryside of a Mediterranean country (nature trip): I reassure you there was no pharmacy whatsoever across the street, nor anyone in my Airbnb helping me with any booking. I did the Abbott test between waking up and showering while in my pajamas, in 15 minutes, on my iPhone. Infinite convenience.
Correct, that's why I said location specific. I also used the Abbott test on one of my trips, and it worked great. But just a month or two before my trip there were many reports of 4 hour hold times. So again, depending on when and where, everyone's experiences can be different.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

deanmoriarty wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:10 am
sunny_socal wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 am
What is your point and how is it related to my question? It is officially accepted by the US government as a test when re-entering from an international trip. That’s good enough for me.
Get several just in case you get false positives.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Um, have you seen the size of covid tests?
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Does anybody know the details on timing? Does 24 hours mean 24 hours? The old 72 hour rule didn't mean 72 hours at all. Just 3 calendar days.

If my flight is at 11pm on Friday do I have to take the test after 11pm on Thursday? I think not based on the old 72 hours rule where I could take the test anytime on Thursday.

Also, some international testing is an utter joke. In Tanzania we took a test on Thursday for a Saturday afternoon flight (legally under 72 hours). We received our test results on Saturday that showed a test date of Saturday.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

The problem with Emed right now is they are shipping tests that are expiring soon and that is with an extension. So don't stock up or buy them for anything much later than January. I will also note have a plan B because the two Emed kits I used this summer were faulty and I had to get a local test anyway. Less of an issue when you had three days.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Rainier wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:42 pm Does anybody know the details on timing? Does 24 hours mean 24 hours? The old 72 hour rule didn't mean 72 hours at all. Just 3 calendar days.

If my flight is at 11pm on Friday do I have to take the test after 11pm on Thursday? I think not based on the old 72 hours rule where I could take the test anytime on Thursday.

Also, some international testing is an utter joke. In Tanzania we took a test on Thursday for a Saturday afternoon flight (legally under 72 hours). We received our test results on Saturday that showed a test date of Saturday.
It's a day. So if you fly to the U.S. on Friday, if you get a test on Thursday, you're fine. Even if your flight is at 10:00 pm on Friday and you got tested 8:00 am on Thursday, you're still okay.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

BeneIRA wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:46 pm
It's a day. So if you fly to the U.S. on Friday, if you get a test on Thursday, you're fine. Even if your flight is at 10:00 pm on Friday and you got tested 8:00 am on Thursday, you're still okay.
This is 100% accurate but also remember that it is the airline personnel interpreting the rules. There are scattered reports of airline personnel insisting it is 24 hours which it isn't. I suggest anybody travelling have a print out of the rules and if scheduling permits I'd probably also try to keep it within 24 hours if possible.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

THY4373 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm
This is 100% accurate but also remember that it is the airline personnel interpreting the rules. There are scattered reports of airline personnel insisting it is 24 hours which it isn't. I suggest anybody travelling have a print out of the rules and if scheduling permits I'd probably also try to keep it within 24 hours if possible.
Do you have a source on the rules that make this clear? The CDC website certainly doesn't in my eye.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

diy60 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:55 am
Not everyone stays in touristy locations with a pharmacy across the street when they visit Europe.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Rainier wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 pm
THY4373 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Do you have a source on the rules that make this clear? The CDC website certainly doesn't in my eye.
The CDC is pretty clear in their FAQ though I admit printing it out is probably not very useful but if you have data you could load it on your smart phone.
The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.
Go https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... elers.html and then click on timing requirements on right. Honestly it is probably an edge case that an airline gives you hassle but I am currently French Polynesia and the testing site at the airport in PPT (but not the airline as I haven't dealt with them yet because I don't leave for more than a week more) was convinced the US guidance was 24 hours vs 1 day.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:57 pm
Not everyone stays in touristy locations with a pharmacy across the street when they visit Europe.
And not everyone is flying direct from a touristy location such as Europe so other timing complications can come into play as well. You really have to stay on top of this stuff if you want to travel internationally.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

How does anyone know when you took the test? If I used the Abbott test for example. Am I supposed to show a picture or bring the stick to the airport? How to indicate the date on the picture?
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 pm How does anyone know when you took the test? If I used the Abbott test for example. Am I supposed to show a picture or bring the stick to the airport? How to indicate the date on the picture?
You cannot use the Abbott tests that are NOT proctored. The Abbott BinaxNow tests that don't come with a video medical appointment are not valid for entry to the US (or anyplace else I know). Basically if you aren't buying the Abbott tests from EMed, Optum or with prescription from CVS then you have the wrong type of test. The underlying tests are identical but you need a "medical authority" for lack of a better term and using it loosely to give you a form which is your proof of negative test which will include the date. Basically they watch you take the test on camera you show them your results and then they send you a form as if you had been tested in person. This form is what you show the airlines. And yes if this all seems a bit hinky it is.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

THY4373 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:19 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 pm How does anyone know when you took the test? If I used the Abbott test for example. Am I supposed to show a picture or bring the stick to the airport? How to indicate the date on the picture?
You cannot use the Abbott tests that are NOT proctored. The Abbott BinaxNow tests that don't come with a video medical appointment are not valid for entry to the US (or anyplace else I know). Basically if you aren't buying the Abbott tests from EMed, Optum or with prescription from CVS then you have the wrong type of test. The underlying tests are identical but you need a "medical authority" for lack of a better term and using it loosely to give you a form which is your proof of negative test which will include the date. Basically they watch you take the test on camera you show them your results and then they send you a form as if you had been tested in person. This form is what you show the airlines. And yes if this all seems a bit hinky it is.
Thanks that's helpful. Considering an international trip, just trying to get it all mapped out.