ID.me [Identify verification site]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jackoak

ID.me [Identify verification site]

Post by jackoak »

I went to pay my estimated tax and immediately got info asking me to submit personal info to ID.me site. I would like to know if people here have signed up for this site. Is it safe? Is it going to be necessary to use to access government sites? They ask for alot of personal info including SS number. What are the advantages to using this site?
Thanks for the help.
Gill

Re: ID.me

Post by Gill »

What site are you trying to access? The site for paying estimated taxes is eftps.gov.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Gill is correct. EFTPS is the IRS site. The IRS also has a site called Direct Pay which doesn't require advanced setup.

Once you set up an account with EFTPS it is quite easy to schedule quarterly payments as well as payments for taxes due on your tax return. I have been using it for many years and it has worked flawlessly. The debit hits my bank on the exact day I have specified.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
BrokerageZelda

Post by BrokerageZelda »

ID.me appears to be an official identity verification partner of the IRS for services such as IRS Direct Pay, which is the other official website for making estimated tax payments.

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/44 ... r-the-IRS-
diy60

Post by diy60 »

BrokerageZelda wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:56 am ID.me appears to be an official identity verification partner of the IRS for services such as IRS Direct Pay, which is the other official website for making estimated tax payments.

Definitely not needed for Direct Pay. I use Direct Pay every quarter, and have never been redirected to id.me. Direct Pay uses prior year info to verify you identity. Maybe it's needed for other IRS logins.
BrokerageZelda

Post by BrokerageZelda »

diy60 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:03 am
BrokerageZelda wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:56 am ID.me appears to be an official identity verification partner of the IRS for services such as IRS Direct Pay, which is the other official website for making estimated tax payments.

Definitely not needed for Direct Pay. I use Direct Pay every quarter, and have never been redirected to id.me. Direct Pay uses prior year info to verify you identity. Maybe it's needed for other IRS logins.
It looks like ID.me was rolled out less than a month ago.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-unveil ... help-tools

I notice that creating a new "IRS Online Account" now requires ID.me, and while accounts created under the old system are still usable for now, they will be phased out over the next year.

I just checked for myself, and found that the IRS Online Account's "Payment Options" sections just has a link to IRS Direct Pay. If you're doing it for the first time, though, you might have assumed the Online Account was a prerequisite to using Direct Pay, which it isn't.
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

I had to do ID.me to get my PUA tax refund a few months ago.

It is a pain, but appears to be legit.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

ID me started as "troopid" back in 2010 as a mechanism to validate that one is a veteran:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID.me

I have had an account for a very long time. It is a legitimate service.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

jackoak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I went to pay my estimated tax and immediately got info asking me to submit personal info to ID.me site. I would like to know if people here have signed up for this site. Is it safe? Is it going to be necessary to use to access government sites? They ask for alot of personal info including SS number. What are the advantages to using this site?
Thanks for the help.
As for the "future" part of your question, I made a post about it in another thread. Hopefully, the new system will apply mainly to creating IRS accounts and not for paying estimated taxes, but it looks pretty bad. In worst case, it involves uploading selfies and having video conversations with this third-party provider.

viewtopic.php?p=6353397#p6353397
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am
jackoak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I went to pay my estimated tax and immediately got info asking me to submit personal info to ID.me site. I would like to know if people here have signed up for this site. Is it safe? Is it going to be necessary to use to access government sites? They ask for alot of personal info including SS number. What are the advantages to using this site?
Thanks for the help.
As for the "future" part of your question, I made a post about it in another thread. Hopefully, the new system will apply mainly to creating IRS accounts and not for paying estimated taxes, but it looks pretty bad. In worst case, it involves uploading selfies and having video conversations with this third-party provider.

viewtopic.php?p=6353397#p6353397
Yes, I had to do the zoom review. Plan for it to take about an hour+ of your time.

I'm not sure but I believe that if you do this once it can be applied for other platforms in the future.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

So it sounds like if you need to pay q4 estimated taxes, you might already be too late depending on what verification you have to do?
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:43 am So it sounds like if you need to pay q4 estimated taxes, you might already be too late depending on what verification you have to do?
q4 taxes aren't due until 1/22 so I don't think you are too late but if you have the option I would try signing up for a EFTPS account and you might not have to jump through this hurdle.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

colddeadfish wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am
tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:43 am So it sounds like if you need to pay q4 estimated taxes, you might already be too late depending on what verification you have to do?
q4 taxes aren't due until 1/22 so I don't think you are too late but if you have the option I would try signing up for a EFTPS account and you might not have to jump through this hurdle.
Just from what has been described in this thread I can picture those of us who already have EFTPS accounts being subjected to some sort of interview process and having to make an appointment months or years in the future. Meanwhile our tax payments get to float around within the USPS for a roughly equal amount of time, while the penalties pile up. I'm not looking at it as glass half-empty or half-full, I'm looking at is as not even being able to find the glass. Unfortunately I don't know how much tax I'll have to pay yet, and won't until the end of the year; I might have already overpaid by five figures, or owe that much additional. If I did I'd pay now given the returns on cash.
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:09 pm
Just from what has been described in this thread I can picture those of us who already have EFTPS accounts being subjected to some sort of interview process and having to make an appointment months or years in the future. Meanwhile our tax payments get to float around within the USPS for a roughly equal amount of time, while the penalties pile up. I'm not looking at it as glass half-empty or half-full, I'm looking at is as not even being able to find the glass. Unfortunately I don't know how much tax I'll have to pay yet, and won't until the end of the year; I might have already overpaid by five figures, or owe that much additional. If I did I'd pay now given the returns on cash.
I just logged into my EFTPS account. No prompt.

Just FYI, when I went through the ID.me process it did take an hour but the result was immediate. Meaning there was no lag in the system once you have been "verified"
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Not related to taxes ... ID.me has been used for years by businesses to verify those qualified for cetain discounts. I had to use ID.me to verify veteran status for discounts at Lowes & Target for example.
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

For me, the big security improvement has been letting every taxpayer get an "identity protection" PIN. Previously you had to be a victim of tax identity theft to get an IRS PIN. This all changed in January 2021. In previous years I would weigh the risks of waiting for corrected 1099's versus filing early to prevent tax identity theft.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

colddeadfish wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 pm

Just FYI, when I went through the ID.me process it did take an hour but the result was immediate. Meaning there was no lag in the system once you have been "verified"
I just logged in but don't see a way to optionally engage the ID.me process, and wasn't required to during login. I'm assuming I've never had to go through ID.me before (not that there's any way I'd remember if I had.) Should I go to ID.me and create an account? It seems to allow account creation although I only went as far as the first page. Interesting that it seems to allow login with Google, FB, or various other mechanisms.
Last edited by tibbitts on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 pm
colddeadfish wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 pm

I just logged in but don't see a way to optionally engage the ID.me process, and wasn't required to during login. I'm assuming I've never had to go through ID.me before (not that there's any way I'd remember if I had.)
Yes, it appears that you do not have to (at least for now)
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

If you log into your Individual IRS Tax Account you are prompted with the following:

If you have an existing IRS username, please create a new ID.me account as soon as possible. We're bringing you an improved sign-in experience. You won't be able to log in with your existing IRS username and password starting in summer 2022.

If you're a new user, please create an account with ID.me.

ID.me is our trusted technology partner in helping to keep your personal information safe.
mouth

Post by mouth »

Not a shill for ID.me but something I really appreciate is that it supports Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) which means using a Yubikey. And you do NOT have to allow text based backup. I set up two yubikeys of which the second sits in a fire box.

So while part of me worries about it as a single-sign-in point of entry if it gets hacked, I at least know its decently secure. I'd resist putting all my financials under that one umbrella, but for things like government sites it has felt like an improvement of service. VA Medical just switched over to it as well.

I do have to wonder, why the IRS doesn't t use LOGIN.gov which is what DHS moved to for pre-check, global entry and the like. Nice thing, that supports Yubikey as well. Might be a compliance and authority to operate issue they haven't completed yet [shrug]
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

jackoak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I would like to know if people here have signed up for this site.
I have.
Is it safe?
As safe as anything on the internet. It's not technically a government site but since it does a lot of business with them it should be reasonably safe.
Is it going to be necessary to use to access government sites?
Starting next summer you will need ID.me to look at your personal IRS account.
What are the advantages to using this site?
Only one login for most federal government websites.

I opened an ID.me account last December but could not verify it. So today on my computer I temporarily lifted my security freezes from the three main credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). Then I went to the IRS site and tried to sign in with the existing ID.me account. Because it hadn't been verified I again had to upload all the required documents (driver's license, passport, & social security card) and take a selfie. My ID.me account phone number is my landline because it can be verified and my cell phone is a TracFone which can't. When I did the selfie I input the cell phone number for the text. The selfie was accepted but after doing all that it wouldn't verify for some reason.

The computer gave me the option to have a video verification and I chose that. It said the wait would be about 12 minutes and that was accurate. The rep called me on my cell phone and opened up a video. I had to answer some questions and physically show her my paper documents. Then she said I was verified but to wait a couple of minutes before accessing.

About five minutes later I was able to sign in to my IRS account via ID.me.. I received a phone call on my landline giving me a PIN and had to type it on the computer screen. Then I received another phone call on my landline asking if I had accessed my IRS account using ID.me. I punched "1" for "yes" and I was signed in.

About an hour later I decided to try for a mySocialSecurity account. I tried the "Sign In" button (Sign In, Sign in to my account, Sign in with ID.me) and it worked. I again got the landline call for the PIN and another asking about Social Security access.

Prior to this I had neither a personal IRS account nor a mySocialSecurity account. I don't know how it works if you already have one.

Be aware:
  • Every time you access ID.me you will get a phone call (or text) for the PIN even in you don't go to any other site.
  • Also, logging out of your IRS or mySocialSecurity account does NOT log you out of ID.me. That is a separate step.
Last edited by Duckie on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Many states required those on unemployment to use ID.me, whether before getting any unemployment payments or to continue receiving them.

It was a complete and total mess for many unemployment recipients.
Most experiences are better imagined.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I had to use ID.me for updating my California Drivers License. I don't recall exactly why, but I believe it was related to filling out application and submitting documents to get a "Real ID" drivers license. It appeared legitimate, only issue is it required a phone number to be verified, and would not accept my phone number (google voice) for verification... So I used someone else's phone to receive the verification information :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Well I tried irs.gov and it sent me to ID.me. I was able to verify after several failures of my scanned images or live scan of my face. It won't let me use a Google Voice number for voice or texting, but did let me use a Google Fi number. Took an hour or so. There were multiple places where the process didn't work at all, for example I could receive a confirmation text on my Google Fi number, but not the selfie link (text never arrived), so I had to back out and try another path through the process. I'm not sure what would have happened if none of the paths had worked.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
async

Post by async »

Duckie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:58 pm As safe as anything on the internet. It's not technically a government site but since it does a lot of business with them it should be reasonably safe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Personnel_Management_data_breach
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

ID.me has been around for years. I logged onto the Social Security website a few days and ID.me is now another way to login there. Sounds like its here to stay.
edit: I created an ID.me account several years ago so it was easy to use it to login to SS.
Last edited by pshonore on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I had signed up for an older IRS account earlier this year to view tax transcripts. Saw the prompt recently to switch to ID.me, and tried to set up this Thursday. Really seems like a pain, and somewhat invasive, but I suppose this is the modern price of security. I got to the part where you have upload photos or scans of the front and back of your driver's license, US Passport photo page, or US Passport Card. OK, that's a hassle, but I did it with my passport considering that disclosed the least new information to a third party, and because it's already a federal document. Then it came to needing to submit a live video selfie, and I quit for now. Camera access within browsers is disabled in my security settings by default, and I did not feel like fooling with it any longer. I'll circle back at some point, I assume, especially if they keep sending me nag E-Mails. Don't plan on this being a quick process. It's pretty in-depth and annoying.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

Cheez-It Guy

Can you still get into your IRS tax account using your old id and password? My great fear is that I will only get halfway through the ID.me sign-up process and then I will be locked out of my IRS tax account until I get ID.me resolved.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I tried to opt out of the Child Tax Credit payments, but ID.ME was too much hassle. So I will owe a couple thousand in April. No penalty, since I’ve already paid as much as I owed last year, plus a bit more.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Newaygo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am Cheez-It Guy

Can you still get into your IRS tax account using your old id and password? My great fear is that I will only get halfway through the ID.me sign-up process and then I will be locked out of my IRS tax account until I get ID.me resolved.
Yes, I am still able to sign in the old way without issue.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Newaygo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am Cheez-It Guy

That was what concerned me when I had the problem with never being able to get my phone to work for the selfie. At first I tried my computer webcam; it didn't work. Then I tried the phone but never received the text so that didn't even get to the photo stage. Then I went back to the webcam and on the third try got that to work. So I'm glad I don't have to find out what the implications (even if maybe slightly delayed) of a failure would be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Not to worry on that point. Old login still works for now.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Do we need to unfreeze credit to set up an ID.ME account?
renegade06

Post by renegade06 »

I use ID. me to verify military discounts for purchases with different vendors. It's totally legit and I know several people affiliated with the company.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Went through the ID.me process for military benefits. It must be expanding.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I accessed the Social Security website today and the primary login options were either login.gov or id.me. Sounds like a government desired trend.
Accounts created before a certain date in 2018 could still login using the old method.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I have used ID ME for a couple years for writing prescriptions: https://www.id.me/business/epcs
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 pm I had to use ID.me for updating my California Drivers License. I don't recall exactly why, but I believe it was related to filling out application and submitting documents to get a "Real ID" drivers license. It appeared legitimate, only issue is it required a phone number to be verified, and would not accept my phone number (google voice) for verification... So I used someone else's phone to receive the verification information :annoyed
I didn't opt for a Real ID and I had to create an ID.me account to renew my regular California driver's license earlier this year. In my case, the ID.me account was verified without needing any selfies or interviews even though I only have a cell phone these days, perhaps because it's a contract cell phone number and I have been the owner of that number for decades (I've had the same cell number since the 1990s).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:25 am
JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 pm I had to use ID.me for updating my California Drivers License. I don't recall exactly why, but I believe it was related to filling out application and submitting documents to get a "Real ID" drivers license. It appeared legitimate, only issue is it required a phone number to be verified, and would not accept my phone number (google voice) for verification... So I used someone else's phone to receive the verification information :annoyed
I didn't opt for a Real ID and I had to create an ID.me account to renew my regular California driver's license earlier this year. In my case, the ID.me account was verified without needing any selfies or interviews even though I only have a cell phone these days, perhaps because it's a contract cell phone number and I have been the owner of that number for decades (I've had the same cell number since the 1990s).
Did you have your credit frozen?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It didn't ask for any selfies or interviews for me either, and the phone # I had to use for the verification message wasn't even my phone.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 am
Did you have your credit frozen?
Oh, that's a complex one.... my credit accounts are not technically frozen, but they're also not fully open. My credit was compromised back in the 1990s by the employee of a local merchant. It was a whole thing, with a detective assigned to it and everything, which is how I know where the information was stolen because the detective traced it to that specific merchant. Back then, such crimes were new and exciting for them, I guess. There's no way you'd get a detective assigned for such a compromise now.

Whatever flag the three big bureaus set at that time about needing additional verification to open accounts has persisted to this day, unlike typical fraud alerts that expire after a certain period of time. I missed out on a Citibank offer due to that a year ago, because Citibank interpreted the response as a frozen account (which they handle by basically issuing a "no soup for you" response) and by the time I'd sorted it out with them by phone, the offer had expired.

I really should do the normal credit freeze routine, just in case a new system update removes whatever flag this is on my accounts after all these decades. I just haven't yet.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

It looks like it's going to nag me at least once per day by E-Mail until I complete this.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I finally got this across the finish line. Pretty annoying. Finger prints, retinal scans, and DNA samples not required -- yet.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:19 am I finally got this across the finish line. Pretty annoying. Finger prints, retinal scans, and DNA samples not required -- yet.
Congrats. Did you need to unfreeze credit?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:22 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:19 am I finally got this across the finish line. Pretty annoying. Finger prints, retinal scans, and DNA samples not required -- yet.
No. My credit remained frozen from start to finish at all bureaus.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:29 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:22 pm
No. My credit remained frozen from start to finish at all bureaus.
Thanks, that is helpful to know. My spouse and I have to make ID.me accounts. A little annoyed the IRS is using them instead of login.gov.
hudson

Post by hudson »

It's been a long campaign trying to get in, when I finally got down to a required video conference, I was on a computer without a web camera and I'd just mailed the passport I need to show for renewal. I'll try again next week with a laptop...and I'll try to find a list of alternate IDs that'll work.
Last edited by hudson on Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

This was a pain to do, but finally finished it for one person although I needed to send emails to their support group. For example, I had set up an account for my father using my cell phone a few years back with the VA as well as having my email listed as a backup address. The system had difficulty verifying me with a cell phone number because of that (although the instructions say you can use someone else's cell phone - which doesn't make much sense). The system also said I had an ID/me account since the email was listed in their files under my father's account so I deleted it from his account backup and then was able to enroll with the email. I also found the ID.me site doesn't populate your profile with information until you sign back on to the required site that you were setting up the account for. I am not particularly happy that the site is using facial recognition to set up but that is out of our control.
Last edited by drzzzzz on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I also didn't like it, but I reasoned that since I have a passport, my face is already in the federal database. I've had to use quick Customs clearance terminals upon returns from international flights where it also scans your face and / or takes a picture. I didn't read all the legal stuff, but I hope that ID.me is just doing a one-time comparison for proof of identification and then deleting.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm I also didn't like it, but I reasoned that since I have a passport, my face is already in the federal database. I've had to use quick Customs clearance terminals upon returns from international flights where it also scans your face and / or takes a picture. I didn't read all the legal stuff, but I hope that ID.me is just doing a one-time comparison for proof of identification and then deleting.
I tried to set up my ID.me account this evening, this is ridiculous. I jumped through all their hoops and they still want to do a video conference to verify my identity, the listed wait time was 41 minute. I will try again tomorrow morning, hopefully there will be a shorter wait.