ID.me [Identify verification site]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anon_investor

Re: Help with ID.me for IRS.gov website

Post by anon_investor »

EddyB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:32 pm
dual wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:26 pm
egrets wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

I already emailed my Senator and Representative.

What else may they screw up besides the IRS and Social Security websites? I can't think of another one I use off hand.
Treasury Direct?
I bet some people would rather do ID.me vs. paper forms with Signature Gurantee for Treasury Direct. :twisted:
I tried and so far failed at both this month!
TD was a breeze for me in 2019 to set up. ID.me was quite painful to do earlier this month.
BrandonBogle

Re: ID.me [Identify verification site]

Post by BrandonBogle »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm TD was a breeze for me in 2019 to set up. ID.me was quite painful to do earlier this month.
And it was the other way around for me, kind of. Creating my TD account was easy, but when I wanted to make changes, it was so difficult, that I didn’t bother changing the account it pulls funds from. I just pray I never have to close that account.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

AQ wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:01 pm Any tips to get a good selfie and photos for DL? sounds like most problems are people need to retake these photos many times. Better to save these files in a particular file format, like gif, jpg, etc.?
When I did it I was required to provide a copy of my DL front and back, a copy of my SS card front, and a copy of my passport picture/name pages. I took several pictures of those items with my cell phone and transferred them to my computer. I picked the best, clearest samples, switched them to .jpg format, and cropped them appropriately. When uploaded from my computer they were all accepted without a problem. However, when the first batch of selfie tries didn't work I had to re-upload them each time. That was very frustrating.
Do I have to take video selfie live? If I can do it in advance and save it as a file, how long should I record, 5 sec, 10 sec?
You can't do the selfie in advance; I tried. In my case my selfie was a picture, not video. (Make sure your hair is combed before starting the selfie part.) They sent me a link by text to my cell phone and I had about 30 seconds or a minute to get a decent picture and upload it to the link. (It was a different link each time.) It didn't upload the first few times but it finally worked at a later date. Unfortunately it could not be verified. At that point on my computer I was given the option of video verification. I accepted that option and made sure my documents were available. I received a call on my cell phone and used that camera to not only show my face but all my original documents that had been uploaded.
people seems reluctant to have a video chat to finalize the process like avoiding an IRS notice. is it really that bad?
The video chat is short and sweet. It took less than five minutes. The issue is the wait time until you get a rep. When I did it they reported a 12 minute wait and that was accurate. I was lucky. Some people report waiting several hours and then getting disconnected or something and having to start over.
Most important question: is there a limit on number of attempts? i.e. if one fails to set it up after N tries, you're 'locked out'?
I don't think so. I had multiple failed attempts before things worked.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I found that document uploads (DL and passport) were better quality and easier to do on a scanner and output as a jpeg. Picture can be cropped.
Photographing a passport is really hard.

My application failed when they would not agree that my selfie scanned on a web cam on my desktop wouldn't match the document photos. I think I have been equally scruffy for all of it.

At this point I can't proceed at IRS without a video interview, so for now I just don't have access to my IRS account and may never try again.

It would be horribly depressing and painful to have to depend on this system for much needed benefits. Our government has something to answer for here.

One thing we do in our old age is try to maintain contact with latest mobile phones, computer apps, on-line tools as possible because it is evident that people too old or too disabled or too disadvantaged to keep up are set out in the snow to die. We are going through an interesting exercise right now arranging a video medical appointment.
RedDog

Post by RedDog »

dbr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm I found that document uploads (DL and passport) were better quality and easier to do on a scanner and output as a jpeg. Picture can be cropped.
Photographing a passport is really hard.

My application failed when they would not agree that my selfie scanned on a web cam on my desktop wouldn't match the document photos. I think I have been equally scruffy for all of it.

At this point I can't proceed at IRS without a video interview, so for now I just don't have access to my IRS account and may never try again.

It would be horribly depressing and painful to have to depend on this system for much needed benefits. Our government has something to answer for here.

One thing we do in our old age is try to maintain contact with latest mobile phones, computer apps, on-line tools as possible because it is evident that people too old or too disabled or too disadvantaged to keep up are set out in the snow to die. We are going through an interesting exercise right now arranging a video medical appointment.
+1 this.

My father suffers from Alzheimer’s. I’m his POA and I’m dreading having deal this if adopted more widely.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm TD was a breeze for me in 2019 to set up. ID.me was quite painful to do earlier this month.
And it was the other way around for me, kind of. Creating my TD account was easy, but when I wanted to make changes, it was so difficult, that I didn’t bother changing the account it pulls funds from. I just pray I never have to close that account.
Yeah, when I opened TD you could add banks online, so I added a few. Of course I later opened a BoA checking to get Platinum Honors which is not linked to TD, and by then a paper form with signature guarantee is required.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Tubes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am All you having luck: did you do it through your phone or through a computer?
I had problems setting up a SSA account since I moved around quite a bit. Tried the ID.me route. I already had an account to get a military discount.

Started on a PC, used a phone to take my driver's license photo, but needed a video interview. They also wanted more documents which I uploaded via the phone. Once uploaded, the system switched back to the PC for the interview using an old webcam. At the end, they wanted me to look straight at the camera to get my eyes.

Easy login to the SSA. Was surprised to see my estimated amounts -- even going forward with zero earnings.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
AQ

Post by AQ »

this sign-up requires a lot of personal info. A genuinely curious question: does anyone care to enlighten me why this process is indeed more secure than older approaches like passwords/security codes, etc.?

In particular, is it a risk that when we're all busy to upload this info to id.me, some evil force intercepts it?
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

AQ wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:38 pm this sign-up requires a lot of personal info. A genuinely curious question: does anyone care to enlighten me why this process is indeed more secure than older approaches like passwords/security codes, etc.?

In particular, is it a risk that when we're all busy to upload this info to id.me, some evil force intercepts it?
The ID.me isn’t replacing userids/passwords, which verifies the the person logging on is the same person that created the account. The ID.me is to verify that the person who created the account is the person they say they are.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

That article is inaccurate. You do not need to create an ID.me account to file your taxes. It's still an annoying process, but not required for filing, only to look up transcripts etc.
dbr

Post by dbr »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am
That article is inaccurate. You do not need to create an ID.me account to file your taxes. It's still an annoying process, but not required for filing, only to look up transcripts etc.
Right. People have filed taxes for years without needing access to their IRS account. Apparently the real damage is being done to people trying to claim awarded federal benefits for businesses, unemployement, and some other things. Powers forbid if a SS or Medicare application has to go through ID.me. I haven't tried logging in my SS and Medicare accounts lately. Normally that is not needed most of the time.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I just created my ID, and worked the first time. According to the ID.me web site, the cell phone must be registered with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile. I have a Tracfone with a SIM on the AT&T network. It worked for ID.me. I've had it not be recognized on other authentication sites.

I do wonder how many folks are going to be unable to create an ID. I know my sister would not be able to go thru all the steps. Hopefully I will finally be able to drive down to see her this summer, and I just put creating a ID.me account on my "to do" list.

Edit: i realized that my phone number was ported from AT&T to Tracfone several years ago. Perhaps that is why it worked.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

My experience, for whatever it's worth...

We had to set up ID.me for my wife a few months ago so she could verify her status as a medical professional in order to claim a discount on our cell phone plan. It worked smoothly for her.

Then recently I saw all this news around ID.me when the IRS, so we had to connect my wife's account to her IRS login, and create an ID.me account for me and connect it as well. Again, couldn't have been easier and more smooth.

In both cases we used photos of our driver's licenses and the facial recognition.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

dbr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 am I haven't tried logging in my SS and Medicare accounts lately. Normally that is not needed most of the time.
Not sure if this applies to you, but on the SSA.gov site it states, "Accounts created before September 18, 2021 should enter a Username and Password." and I was able to log in via this means. I do have both an ID.me and Login.gov accounts though.
dual

Post by dual »

dbr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 am
Right. People have filed taxes for years without needing access to their IRS account. Apparently the real damage is being done to people trying to claim awarded federal benefits for businesses, unemployement, and some other things. Powers forbid if a SS or Medicare application has to go through ID.me. I haven't tried logging in my SS and Medicare accounts lately. Normally that is not needed most of the time.
The article is accurate if you have an IRS personal protection pin.. You cannot file your tax return without the ID pin and to do that you have to access the IRS website. As far as I know, once you start using the pin you cannot stop so you cannot file your taxes, even paper returns, without accessing the IRS website.
crefwatch

Re: Help with ID.me for IRS.gov website

Post by crefwatch »

Duckie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:31 pm My landline is registered to me and is the only phone number on my ID.me account. My pre-paid TracFone is not registered to me. It's like a "burner" phone even though I've had it for years.
I understand your privacy preferences, and tend to agree. But with the trend towards texted Two-Factor identification everywhere else, I have decided that I am better off revealing my cell number to financial services companies, as early as possible. It's just so helpful when they increase security. Fortunately texts are free for my T-Mobile plan. We may well give up our landline when we move to our final retirement home.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

dual wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:36 pm
The article is accurate if you have an IRS personal protection pin.. You cannot file your tax return without the ID pin and to do that you have to access the IRS website. As far as I know, once you start using the pin you cannot stop so you cannot file your taxes, even paper returns, without accessing the IRS website.
I use an ID PIN and until last week, never had an IRS account set up. The ID.me process isn’t needed just to use your pin to file your taxes.

Now if you misplace the annual mailer with your pin, then yes, you need to request a replacement somehow and maybe you can do that on the website, but you don’t need it until you need to request a replacement.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm
I use an ID PIN and until last week, never had an IRS account set up. The ID.me process isn’t needed just to use your pin to file your taxes.

Now if you misplace the annual mailer with your pin, then yes, you need to request a replacement somehow and maybe you can do that on the website, but you don’t need it until you need to request a replacement.
I used a PIN for the first time last year that I got online. I have not received anything in the mail with a new PIN. So, I went online and got a new PIN from the IRS site. I wonder if you get it online, whether you don't get a mailing? Or, if you get it voluntarily online, do you even need to have one the following year?

Wrench
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Wrench wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm I use an ID PIN and until last week, never had an IRS account set up. The ID.me process isn’t needed just to use your pin to file your taxes.

I used a PIN for the first time last year that I got online. I have not received anything in the mail with a new PIN. So, I went online and got a new PIN from the IRS site. I wonder if you get it online, whether you don't get a mailing? Or, if you get it voluntarily online, do you even need to have one the following year?

Wrench
Interesting. For the past 7 years I’ve gotten one in the mail automatically. I just tried the IRS site and I can see the PDF of the mailer sent in 2022 and 2021. Note, my account was created after both of these were mailed out.

I see an option to sign up for paperless, so I presume you are signed up for that Wrench? When I go to that page, I have “Digital and Paper” as the selected option under Paperless Settings.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm

Wrench
I tihnk one you start getting a PIN you will get one every year, so you will need the new one annually in order to file electronically.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm I think one you start getting a PIN you will get one every year, so you will need the new one annually in order to file electronically.
I think the difference here is Wrench is getting it online only and I'm getting it in the mail, without either one of us specifically taking action. If that is indeed the case, I wonder how Wrench signed up for it. I did by mailing in a form, so perhaps that put me on paper and others submit it online, putting them on paperless?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:58 pm
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm I think one you start getting a PIN you will get one every year, so you will need the new one annually in order to file electronically.
I think the difference here is Wrench is getting it online only and I'm getting it in the mail, without either one of us specifically taking action. If that is indeed the case, I wonder how Wrench signed up for it. I did by mailing in a form, so perhaps that put me on paper and others submit it online, putting them on paperless?
I signed up online last year, and never received a paper anything last year (or this year so far).
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:33 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm I use an ID PIN and until last week, never had an IRS account set up. The ID.me process isn’t needed just to use your pin to file your taxes.

Wrench
Interesting. For the past 7 years I’ve gotten one in the mail automatically. I just tried the IRS site and I can see the PDF of the mailer sent in 2022 and 2021. Note, my account was created after both of these were mailed out.

I see an option to sign up for paperless, so I presume you are signed up for that Wrench? When I go to that page, I have “Digital and Paper” as the selected option under Paperless Settings.
I just checked - I have Digital and Paper selected as well. I actually did get a letter from IRS today, but not with my PIN. It said, you recently logged into IRS.gov. If this wasn't you, let us know.
I suspect if you signed up voluntarily for the PIN program online, you will not get the PIN by mail. Knowing the IRS, there is undoubtedly some paper form that could be filed requesting a PIN by mail, but there seems to be no option to do so online, at least that I could find. For me, it is sort of a moot point - I printed the PIN when I received the acknowledgement of it online, so I have it on paper, saved in my password safe, and in a pdf file too.

Wrench
casperspal

Post by casperspal »

In 2020 I opened a claim in California for unemployment benefits. I went through the whole ID.me verification process and I have a verified account. I was collecting benefits in to 2021 when i landed a job in Nevada. I stopped certifying for benefits in California in Mar2021. I worked in Nevada from March 2021 to November 2021 when I was layed off. I then attempted to file for unemployment benefits in Nevada which automatically directed me to verify my ID.me account. Once i got into ID.me a message popped up reading "you cannot have open claims in 2 states at the same time.
On Jan 1, 2022 California officialy closed my open claim. Nevada unemployment recognizes that but ID.me does not. Per directions from Nevada unemployment I submitted a request to ID.me to release my California Claim. Every week I call Nevada Unemployment and certify for my weekly benefits. But they will not release any money until ID.me issue is cleared up.
I have been waiting for a response from ID.me for 2 months. Can anybody shed any light on this issue?
hudson

Post by hudson »

casperspal,

Have you submitted a trouble ticket?
https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/requests/new
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

For those of you who keep referencing a PIN, are you referring to the PINs the IRS sends to people as an identity protection measure? As opposed to the PIN you have to create each year when e-filing your taxes...the purpose of which has never been clear to me, and I don't recall ever using.

Because when I log in on my IRS account, I see no reference to a PIN. Same with my wife. Neither of us has ever used the identity protection PINs.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Cornbread wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 pm For those of you who keep referencing a PIN, are you referring to the PINs the IRS sends to people as an identity protection measure? As opposed to the PIN you have to create each year when e-filing your taxes...the purpose of which has never been clear to me, and I don't recall ever using.

Because when I log in on my IRS account, I see no reference to a PIN. Same with my wife. Neither of us has ever used the identity protection PINs.
My posts have referenced the former; an Identity Protection PIN, or IP PIN.
hudson

Problem Solving ID.ME...trouble ticket

Post by hudson »

hudson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:38 pm casperspal,

Have you submitted a trouble ticket?
https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/requests/new
I submitted a trouble ticket several days ago. It took several back and forth emails until a representative scheduled a Zoom video conference with me. My problem was that I had two ID.ME accounts. You can only have one. The representative said that she would consolidate my accounts and let me know when it was done.
My objective was to be able to access the VA, IRS, and Covid ID sites.
What made it easier?
I had zoom installed on my Mac laptop; I also had it ready on my IPhone, but I didn't need it. (Macs aren't easy; I'm a windows person.) The Zoom app prompted me to test the video, microphone, and speakers before the video conference.
My passport and driver's license were ready to hold up close to the camera so that she could read each.

Bottom Line: Be patient, check your email, make sure that Zoom works...maybe even login to Zoom?
LifeIsGood

Nightmare with IRS.gov and ID.me

Post by LifeIsGood »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I went to log into my IRS account today to confirm my estimated payments. I had to verify my identity with ID.me.
It starts by giving you the choice of using a picture of your passport or drivers license. After several attempts with my passport it would not recognize the image. I then uploaded images of my drivers license. Following several failed tries it finally recognized my license. Now they want to text or call a phone number with a security PIN. I entered my cell phone number and gave the pin. The next step is they want a "selfie" using your computer camera. Four different scans and it finally recognized me. Now it want to use my credit file to verify my identity. It started with my cell phone (I have a Verizon number thru Red Pocket) and no dice there. I then entered my VOIP Google voice number and that didn't work either. I finally gave up in frustration
'Has this process been smooth sailing for anyone? Do I have any other options to access IRS.gov?
newyorker

Re: Nightmare with IRS.gov and ID.me

Post by newyorker »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:31 am I went to log into my IRS account today to confirm my estimated payments. I had to verify my identity with ID.me.
It starts by giving you the choice of using a picture of your passport or drivers license. After several attempts with my passport it would not recognize the image. I then uploaded images of my drivers license. Following several failed tries it finally recognized my license. Now they want to text or call a phone number with a security PIN. I entered my cell phone number and gave the pin. The next step is they want a "selfie" using your computer camera. Four different scans and it finally recognized me. Now it want to use my credit file to verify my identity. It started with my cell phone (I have a Verizon number thru Red Pocket) and no dice there. I then entered my VOIP Google voice number and that didn't work either. I finally gave up in frustration
'Has this process been smooth sailing for anyone? Do I have any other options to access IRS.gov?
It has been an awful procedure for myself as well. Used it for e prescribe and i got blocked multiple times due to the same reason. Best way is to request video chat and that solved it.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Well, the instructions indicated that those phones could not be used for verification. So you need to go thru the video session. The video service is available 7/24, and we had great luck at 7am est. my wife got thru in about 10 minutes and talked to the person for 10 minutes. Just be sure you have all the documentation they need when you make the call.
Last edited by prd1982 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged LifeIsGood's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
yohac

Post by yohac »

I did the video referee thing yesterday, after a two hour wait.

There is no way my wife could get through this process without help. And she's not stupid, she's just not accustomed to scanning and uploading docs, or using 2FA apps.

ID.me requires an unreasonable amount of tech access and expertise, IMO. Not to mention patience.
Last edited by yohac on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:31 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I went to log into my IRS account today to confirm my estimated payments. I had to verify my identity with ID.me.
I've been there. I took a few days off and tried again. You can do it!
The video chat was the key.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

I've been using ID.me for quite a while when accessing my VA disability records. Even today, it did not require a scan or additional info.

I submitted my/our Federal tax return yesterday, and I just went in to see what the tax transcript info showed. I didn't expect any info after 24-hours, and I was correct. However, to use my ID.me account on this site required me to do the document along with the face scans.

It took several attempts using my passport along with selfie, but I was able to satisfy the security requirement in about 10 minutes total. I did not have to do a one-on-one contact/interview.

FWIW,

- Ron
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

Today I tried setting up ID.me. I uploaded my driver's license and did the facial scan without any problems. Then I got to the part of the process "Confirming Your Phone." It took me about 6 minutes to get the confirmation link sent to my cell phone. By that time I had missed the 5-minute window. I have tried it about 10 times. I just miss the 5-minute window every time. I will try it about 2 am to see if I can get the message link in the 5-minute window. Totally frustrating...
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I see problems in my future with ID.me because of a bonehead thing I did yesterday. My wife had been locked out of the SS website when she tried to login and was asked to answer security questions that had nothing to do with her which she had never submitted, and which she didn't know the answer to. Her account was deleted by a helpful SS agent about 6 months ago when this happened, with assurances from the agent that her account had not been compromised, but informing us that a new online account for her needed to be established. We didn't feel a need to reestablish it until recently, having not received the SS 1099's in snail mail that we needed to file taxes, but knowing we could download them on the SSA site starting on 2/1/22. My wife now steadfastly resists learning all new technology and asks me to handle it all. Not my choice, and confusing at times when I forget what hat I am wearing when setting things up for her. I cringe at the thought of how she will manage things if I die first.

The SSA site wouldn't allow the creation of a new online account for her the old way and required a new account using either ID.me or Login.gov.

It was fairly easy to establish an ID.me account for her yesterday using her email address, which she never checks. I uploaded her DL from iPhone pictures and answered the questions asked, then followed the link they sent me on my cell phone to do a selfie of her. That was successful.

Unfortunately, my immediate attention was needed elsewhere, and when I tried later to log in to the SSA website on her account using ID.me I entered my email, not hers, and the password I had established for her. (When I login to my own SSA account I use a username, not my email). When it said the email or password I used for her account was invalid I gave up trying to login after 2 attempts, not wanting her to get locked out again, so asked to reset the password. Following the link they sent to my email brought me to a site to set up an ID.me account. This should have clued me in that something was wrong, but it didn't.

I set it up again, not realizing it was referencing my email to set up the new account, and I went through the same process, inputting her info and creating her selfie again, and it was accepted but responded that it looked like there were duplicate accounts. The light finally came on then, but too late for my feeble brain. The SSA site allowed me to login to her account after that with her original ID.me set up using her email and password. I then downloaded and printed her 1099 for SS benefits.

I can still log in to my SS account the old way, but I am sure to have problems when I try to set up ID.me for myself when it becomes mandatory because my email already has an account with my wife's information on it. I may be able to get around it by using a different email address, but will likely have to call to get this straightened out.

I write this to show that there may be a problem with the system if I can set up two different ID.me accounts using two different email addresses with all the other identity information the same. It's also curious that I was never required to use her cell phone, but set both accounts up using mine.

Today's society is definitely not set up for dinosaurs like me who find their capabilities waning with age, or for those who refuse to acquaint themselves with any new technology.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Update:
Decided not to wait and clear this up this morning. I was able to work with a "referee" at ID.me and get my own account under my email which took a couple of hours before the video call on my iPhone. Tested both my wife's and mine and can now login to SSA using ID.me with both.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

vested1 - How did you get into contact with a live person at ID.me? I sent an email and got a robotic response with a ticket number - not too encouraging.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Newaygo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm vested1 - How did you get into contact with a live person at ID.me? I sent an email and got a robotic response with a ticket number - not too encouraging.
I went to their site (ID.me.com) and asked for help. They have various ways to contact them. I was in line for less than 3 minutes before an agent texted me with a link to a video conference.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Newaygo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm vested1 - How did you get into contact with a live person at ID.me? I sent an email and got a robotic response with a ticket number - not too encouraging.
It took a day or two for them to reply by email after the first email.
Then it took another day or two for us to agree on a time and date to do a video conference.

When I got to the video conference, I started well before the conference to make sure that the app or software was working. I tested the sound and the picture. I made sure that I had my ID documents ready to show. I used a passport and a driver's license with matching names. I did my conference on a macbook air; I also had my IPhone ready to go if needed. The representative got the job done.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

This morning I went through the video conference verification process. You upload two forms of identification (driver's license and passport) and then wait for a live video conference. The ID.me agent had the "patience of a saint." As part of my laptop PC's "good security," I had shut down my video conferencing capabilities. So the agent called me on my cell phone and patiently walked me through the process of turning on/unblocking it. So now I have ID.me access.

Lesson learned - make sure that your PC's video capabilities are functioning before engaging in the vetting process.
Last edited by Newaygo on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
SilverSmurfer

Post by SilverSmurfer »

First positive experience with ID.me last night:
realized that DW qualifies for 1/2 time student, for which Ford offers a $750 incentive on purchases, and we happen to have a Ford Escape PHEV on order (X-plan pricing too!) - went to the Ford student site, linked up with ID.me to verify identity and cross-reference school records, and bing! Instant approval for qualification of the student discount. Should be paying under MSRP whenever the Escape arrives (June?!?).
ZIP2C

Post by ZIP2C »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:06 pm Article on ID.me

I was able to create an account, but the process was painful. It's terribly designed, especially if you're using a PC rather than a mobile for the account creation. And it hangs, with no provision for going back in several places. I had to redo the verification process several times before I got it right.
This has got to be the most convoluted account creation process I have ever experienced.

All I wanted to do is get a copy of Letter 6475 to verify our third stimulus payment in March 2021, which I have not received as of February 5, 2022.

The saga begins – username - Email – password – phone number for 2FA. Then they need a copy of drivers license, both back and front. OK we got this, I think – They need a “selfie” I try to upload a selfie, but no good, it must be a LIVE selfie from cell phone. I managed that, but not getting easier. Now they want 2 documents which I must hold up to a live video conference screen. That's when I gave it up. No more! As a senior citizen I don't do video chats. Even my Doctor accepted a phone appointment versus a video chat this past January. I'll wait until Letter 6475 arrives via USPS.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

ZIP2C wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:36 pm No more! As a senior citizen I don't do video chats. Even my Doctor accepted a phone appointment versus a video chat this past January. I'll wait until Letter 6475 arrives via USPS.
There's a lot of pushback on this. Tons of articles on how the IRS is reportedly looking into another way (and another company) of doing this. I even saw some headlines on how there is bipartisan legislation being proposed to ban the IRS from using facial recognition. I wouldn't sign up for this unless there's some urgency. Even then...

And remember, the company wasn't exactly honest about the technology they were using. One-to-many facial recognition matches are something they initially tried to keep under wraps.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Interestingly DW's ID verification worked perfectly without having to do the chat, whereas mine did not work well (I think they somehow had my last name without the last letter from public records, not sure how as I have my credit reports etc and my name is correct everywhere).
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The IRS has officially abandoned this plan to mandate id.me and is transitioning to another method. Seems like login.gov is available for the taking, but for whatever reason they haven't used it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ace-scans/

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announ ... ecognition
WASHINGTON — The IRS announced it will transition away from using a third-party service for facial recognition to help authenticate people creating new online accounts. The transition will occur over the coming weeks in order to prevent larger disruptions to taxpayers during filing season.

During the transition, the IRS will quickly develop and bring online an additional authentication process that does not involve facial recognition. The IRS will also continue to work with its cross-government partners to develop authentication methods that protect taxpayer data and ensure broad access to online tools.

"The IRS takes taxpayer privacy and security seriously, and we understand the concerns that have been raised," said IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. "Everyone should feel comfortable with how their personal information is secured, and we are quickly pursuing short-term options that do not involve facial recognition."

The transition announced today does not interfere with the taxpayer's ability to file their return or pay taxes owed. During this period, the IRS will continue to accept tax filings, and it has no other impact on the current tax season. People should continue to file their taxes as they normally would.
jebmke

ID dot me facial recognition going away at IRS

Post by jebmke »

[Merged into the thread already discussing the topic - Moderator Misenplace]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ace-scans/
The IRS said Monday it would “transition away” from using the company ID.me for new accounts “over the coming weeks” and would develop an additional authentication process that does not involve facial recognition.
Last edited by jebmke on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
David Jay

Re: ID dot me going away

Post by David Jay »

I would edit the title to include "at the IRS".

Other sites, such as Social Security, also use ID.me and no other agency has announced that they are dropping ID.me
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius