Work from home phone: dual sim cell, softphone, other?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
benway

Work from home phone: dual sim cell, softphone, other?

Post by benway »

[2021 thread bumped in 2023 --admin LadyGeek]

Last edited by benway on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Re: Work from home phone: dual sim cell, softphone, other?

Post by jebmke »

I have not heard many reliability complaints about Ooma. Are you sure it is the service and not something about your network? If there is a network issue, another VOIP service might not improve the situation.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I carried two cell phones for years, a personal phone and my employer's phone, and it was not really that bad; so that's one option. Dual SIM is another option, but make sure you practice switching between them quickly if you want to be able to jump on your work line. Regarding land line vs cell: in my area, the cell network has been far more reliable than our landline. A quality bluetooth headset for the business cell phone makes things a lot easier.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

This link about dual sim with an iPhone might help your thought process.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

i had softphone on a company supplied laptop several years ago. it would never work right (garbled voice when i talked) and the support people at my company couldn't (or wouldn't) figure it out. when i changed internet providers (for other reasons) it got way better. they gave me a new laptop and then it worked great, so my laptop performance was part of the problem. sucks to have a phone that doesn't work well.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I use 2 cell phones to separate work and personal life. I have them on separate carriers so I should have coverage at all times on at least one phone. AirPods make switching between the phones seamless as needed.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I use two phones, don't like dual sim for heavy use. There's just so much more flexibility with two physical phones, call on one while texting/using the other, etc. Better overall battery life since you are splitting usage across two phones.

Cost is also not as significant as it is in the past. Talk and text plans start in the $5/month range. Adding a few GB of data takes you to $15. I just don't think its worth the hassle or risk of service disruptions to use VoIP or similar substitutes.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

In my experience with an iphone dual sim, I can only use one for texting.
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

You can get a Google Voice number for free. Install google voice on your cellphone and it operates like a second phone with SMS, voicemail and everything. Google voice also lets you use on your laptop or any device through an app or the website. Only downside is it doesn't do 3 way calling so if its for work and you need that functionality you need an external bridge. I've been using google voice alongside my Verizon number on the same device for years.

EDIT: Just reread your OP and you have GV already. Can't help you then. I've had zero issues with GV and use it as my primary number now.
solarcub

Post by solarcub »

Does your company use Microsoft Teams? That’s what we use, and I have had no problems with it.
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

benway wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:42 am I will be starting to work from home soon and need to arrange my own phone solution.

- I have a personal phone that I want to keep personal.
- I have some light occasional travel but 95% is WFH.
- Company provides my laptop.
- Phone/line will get considerable daily use.
- I have used Google Voice and Ooma for personal use but I’d prefer more reliable service for business that offers solid customer service should there be issues.

I am considering:

1. Buy a new cellphone that supports dual sim so I have one phone and two lines.
2. Subscribe to a reliable softphone provider to place and receive calls from my laptop with headset. When traveling, (a) forward softphone incoming calls to my personal phone and use personal cell number for outgoing calls OR (b) use the softphone provider’s phone app to make and receive calls through the business number (I think this is typically available?).

What are some of your recommendations given my needs?

Are there any problems or challenges using a dual sim phone for personal and business?

What softphone provider can you recommend? (Other than Google Voice and Ooma)

Thank you Bogleheads!
I used Google Voice for my work number on my iPhone 12 for about 9 months but stopped using it as I didn’t like the limitations of the app (unable to use the native dialer, unable to easily forward contact cards,etc). So about 2 months ago I added a second line via eSim through my carrier (Verizon) and it’s been so much better. I pay around $35/mo for that added line with unlimited data/talk/text, and my company lets me expense $50/mo so I still come out ahead. I’d definitely recommend you check out the eSim option if you can.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I use two different cell phones- one more for work and calls and one for music, videos etc.. Also I did it as backup as well. For me it is worth the piece of mind although not cheap.
sandan

Post by sandan »

solarcub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 pm Does your company use Microsoft Teams? That’s what we use, and I have had no problems with it.
I like the phone set up through Microsoft teams as well.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

sandan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:20 am
solarcub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 pm Does your company use Microsoft Teams? That’s what we use, and I have had no problems with it.
I like the phone set up through Microsoft teams as well.
With a certain teams plan you can make outgoing phone calls, but incoming requires employer to set up a number with Msft. You can set up meetings what have a conference line, but it’s not the same thing as having a personal phone line.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
FrugalFed

Post by FrugalFed »

Use dual sim, get cheapest plan possible for work sim that is on carrier that supports wi-fi calling. WIth wi-fi calling, you'll have crystal-clear calling at home. Tello has $10 plan (1GB data, but you're not using that) with unlimited calling and text. Supports wi-fi calling.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I've had good luck with Ooma, surprised it's not working for you. The only limitation I ran into was that there is an (I believe) 8-hour limit on a call before it just hangs up on you. I am occasionally required to dial into a 14-hour conference bridge so it's a little annoying, but easy enough to work around.

I also had good luck with Google Fi (different from Voice) and E-Sim on my iPhone. I turned off data since I already had it on my primary plan, so I think it was only about $25 with taxes.

You could also do Mint Mobile for like $15/mo if you prepay for a year at a time. I think they recently started doing E-Sim.
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

<<AirPods make switching between the phones seamless as needed.>>

how so, if I may ask?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LaurenRose - The OP has removed the content of the first post. However, you are quoting a different member. The discussion can continue on that basis.
mw1739 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:34 pm I use 2 cell phones to separate work and personal life. I have them on separate carriers so I should have coverage at all times on at least one phone. AirPods make switching between the phones seamless as needed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.