login.gov

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
The Daughter

login.gov

Post by The Daughter »

I "had" a Social Security account that I hardly ever use. I record my password when I am required to change it. I rec'd an email from SS that there is a new message for me. I tried to log in, but it didn't work. I was not asked to change my password. It did not send a verification code as it used to do. I gave up and created a login.gov account so I could get into my SS account. I couldn't figure out how to do that. It kept circling back to the login.gov sign in, but SS still didn't recognize that, I couldn't use my old SS sign in, and there was no way to update it. It just kept sending me back to login.gov, which wanted to verify my identity each time. Ground Hog Day. What am I doing wrong?
shunkman

Re: login.gov

Post by shunkman »

Did you try "Forgot Password?" before trying to use login.gov?
Topic Author
The Daughter

Post by The Daughter »

Yes. It said there is no account with my email. It did not offer a verification.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

I don’t believe you can link login.gov to an existing mySocialSecurity account, or at least I couldn’t. Had a similar ground hog day experience.

While I could login to existing mySocialSecurity account, I wanted to use login.gov as they supported security key as 2FA.

Since I was able to login to my existing mySocialSecurity account, there was an option to delete or deactivate the account. Then i was able to link through login.gov and link a new mySocialSecurity profile.

RT
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Topic Author
The Daughter

Post by The Daughter »

I guess I will have to call SS tomorrow to figure this out.

In the past, I was asked to change the password and to verify my identity with a code sent via text message. That did not happen this time.

Thank you for reassuring me that I am have not totally lost my marbles.

What is 2FA???
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

The Daughter wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 pm I guess I will have to call SS tomorrow to figure this out.

In the past, I was asked to change the password and to verify my identity with a code sent via text message. That did not happen this time.

Thank you for reassuring me that I am have not totally lost my marbles.

What is 2FA???
2FA = 2 factor authentication. So for example getting sent a text message to hour mobile phone to enter into the side.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

If it’s circling back, try a different bowser. It was circling back using chrome for my mother. Switching to safari solved the problem.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
stanthecaddy

Post by stanthecaddy »

it is correct that your original SSA account can’t be automatically tied to a newly created login.gov account. I do hope they provide a way to connect the two if you end up creating one.
Last edited by stanthecaddy on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

FYI the letter you received notification on is simply a personalized accounting of the 5.9% inflation increase that will be applied to your benefits in Jan 2022.
hank-johnson

Post by hank-johnson »

Did you navigate to the SSA website or click a link in the email?

When you go to sign-in, did you sign-in using the option that says "Accounts Created Before September 18th, 2021"?
https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SicspView.action

If you're username isn't working for some reason I would call SSA, as there hasn't been changes that would have nullified existing accounts.