Facebook Hack

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JBTX

Facebook Hack

Post by JBTX »

Kid’s Facebook hacked. Current unauthorized user using it to commit financial fraud. All identifying information like email and phones have been changed. As far as I can tell without that there is no way to regain access. I’ve reported it to FB several times using their generic reporting but the categories don’t exactly fit, you can’t explain situation and each time the answer comes back nothing is going to be changed.

Any ideas? I’m mostly concerned with connections that may get defrauded. I know one who has already lost $3500.
Bigt3142

Re: Facebook Hack

Post by Bigt3142 »

We had our Instagram (owned by Facebook) account hacked. We reported it. They don't care and won't do anything about it. Sorry for you loss but it's most likely gone for good.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 am Kid’s Facebook hacked. Current unauthorized user using it to commit financial fraud. All identifying information like email and phones have been changed. As far as I can tell without that there is no way to regain access. I’ve reported it to FB several times using their generic reporting but the categories don’t exactly fit, you can’t explain situation and each time the answer comes back nothing is going to be changed.

Any ideas? I’m mostly concerned with connections that may get defrauded. I know one who has already lost $3500.
https://www.facebook.com/help/203305893040179

"If the email associated with your Facebook account has changed, you can reverse this. When an email is changed, we send a message to the previous email account with a special link. You can click this link to reverse the email change and secure your account."
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
z91

Post by z91 »

Bigt3142 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 pm We had our Instagram (owned by Facebook) account hacked. We reported it. They don't care and won't do anything about it. Sorry for you loss but it's most likely gone for good.
I mean, it's likely not because they don't care, but because they probably get so much volume it's impossible to know whether or not the reports they get are real or from users trying to get access to other accounts. I can't imagine them ever having a scalable support channel for a product like theirs (i.e., "free" and near limitless users).
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 am Kid’s Facebook hacked. Current unauthorized user using it to commit financial fraud. All identifying information like email and phones have been changed. As far as I can tell without that there is no way to regain access. I’ve reported it to FB several times using their generic reporting but the categories don’t exactly fit, you can’t explain situation and each time the answer comes back nothing is going to be changed.

"If the email associated with your Facebook account has changed, you can reverse this. When an email is changed, we send a message to the previous email account with a special link. You can click this link to reverse the email change and secure your account."
That's interesting. My daughter may have missed it. It's probably been hacked for a month. Maybe she still has the email.

Thanks.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

z91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 pm
Bigt3142 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 pm We had our Instagram (owned by Facebook) account hacked. We reported it. They don't care and won't do anything about it. Sorry for you loss but it's most likely gone for good.
I mean, it's likely not because they don't care, but because they probably get so much volume it's impossible to know whether or not the reports they get are real or from users trying to get access to other accounts. I can't imagine them ever having a scalable support channel for a product like theirs (i.e., "free" and near limitless users).
With a billion subscribers I can see the challenge. But nonetheless if someone is committing felony financial fraud there ought to be a way to shut it down.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm

That's interesting. My daughter may have missed it. It's probably been hacked for a month. Maybe she still has the email.

Thanks.
And make sure it didn't get directed into the Spam folder.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

You could try to call them, but reviews for customer service are very low. If you look at ways to resolve serious problems, they tend to deflect by saying to contact local law enforcement, etc.

They have to constantly remove large amounts of fraudulent accounts as FB. When it comes to content, what they deem as acceptable and not acceptable may or may not agree with your values.

When it comes to social media platforms like FB, Twitter, Instagram and the like - never have or never will.

It is ironic that the street address for their corporate office is 1 Hacker Way.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

You can try getting some traction on twitter or, ironically, facebook. You can also report to the CFPB, FTC, Police, etc., depending on the type of fraud. It is possible one of them has a better channel.

There are no humans to address these things via the support channels, so you need to get in some other way.

I'll save the "Facebook is evil" sermon, everyone already knows it, they just prefer to use it anyways.
celia

Post by celia »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 am Kid’s Facebook hacked.
To better understand the problem, see if kid’s account has been ‘copied’ instead of having information been changed in it. I know someone who is fighting a copy-cat account that uses his name and photo. Then the copy-cat ‘friends’ his real friends and trys to trick them into ‘investing’ in a phony scheme. He is getting stonewalled by Facebook too.

This will at least make sure your kid is attempting to log into the correct account, not the copy-cat one (if that is what happened).

One partial solution here is to make all your friends ‘private’.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Curious how fraud is being done. Could you provide a framework for that? Or maybe add something to the scam thread?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=277964
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

Just a friendly reminder to look into a password manager (one with a family account, preferably). On top of being able to set up complex passwords that are easy to rotate they also have 2-factor code generators. This is way better than text-message based 2-factor as SIM cards are easy to spoof. It makes web sites nearly un-hackable if used properly. Facebook and Instagram may not seem like high-priority web sites for hackers but the personal information they store can be extremely dangerous.

Or even better just don't put your life's details on social media. Facebook for me is a few photos and that's it. It's (reluctantly) become a messaging service more than anything for me.
shess

Post by shess »

Hmm. I mean, yes, I think that these companies would generally prefer that everything worked well and nothing bad happened. But they intentionally built a system which would obviously be subject to subversion, with no possibility of dealing with the problem. I can assure you that this was brought up at some point, and after careful and minimal consideration, someone said "We can deal with that by <technobabble>, let's worry about it when it becomes a problem."

So, I mean, it's not like they don't care in the sense that they hate you, it's more like they just can't be bothered to actually do anything about it.

[Apologies for letting that out. I've been in those meetings. It was frustrating at the time, and "I told you so" isn't very satisfying after everything has gone to the dogs.]
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

celia wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 am Kid’s Facebook hacked.
To better understand the problem, see if kid’s account has been ‘copied’ instead of having information been changed in it. I know someone who is fighting a copy-cat account that uses his name and photo. Then the copy-cat ‘friends’ his real friends and trys to trick them into ‘investing’ in a phony scheme. He is getting stonewalled by Facebook too.

This will at least make sure your kid is attempting to log into the correct account, not the copy-cat one (if that is what happened).

One partial solution here is to make all your friends ‘private’.
I have seen that done. I got a message from.what appeared to be one of my older in-law friends and it just seemed odd. I looked into it and figured out it was a duplicate and notified the owner what was going on. I assume they fixed it.

This is not what happened here. It was the original account. Most likely due to bad online "hygiene", password reuse that was already out on dark webs.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

ClassII wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:35 pm Just a friendly reminder to look into a password manager (one with a family account, preferably). On top of being able to set up complex passwords that are easy to rotate they also have 2-factor code generators. This is way better than text-message based 2-factor as SIM cards are easy to spoof. It makes web sites nearly un-hackable if used properly. Facebook and Instagram may not seem like high-priority web sites for hackers but the personal information they store can be extremely dangerous.

Or even better just don't put your life's details on social media. Facebook for me is a few photos and that's it. It's (reluctantly) become a messaging service more than anything for me.

This is all great advice that I personally follow. But getting a head strong college age kid with existing mental health issues to focus on such things is a challenge. Having said that a password manager may make things easier for her. I'll float the idea.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Silverado wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:30 pm Curious how fraud is being done. Could you provide a framework for that? Or maybe add something to the scam thread?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=277964
I don't really totally know. Somebody posing as my kid reached out to connected friends, although maybe not the closest friends. Shared details about this great $20/hr job or something, and somehow got the other party to disclose bank information and social security number. Some of these young adults have very little experience with money. It's hard to imagine they'd fall for something like that but it happens.

I found out when one of my kids friends called me concerned that my kid was doing that. Quite alarming until I figured out the account had been previously hacked.
z91

Post by z91 »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 pm
With a billion subscribers I can see the challenge. But nonetheless if someone is committing felony financial fraud there ought to be a way to shut it down.
Of course. That's when you get the police involved and start serving papers. A bit harder to ignore compared to email.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

z91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:28 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 pm
Of course. That's when you get the police involved and start serving papers. A bit harder to ignore compared to email.
Have a few friends who are cops in regards to Facebook issues they take the report and that’s the end. Unless it’s a murder they don’t do anything and Facebook doesn’t respond at all for anything to them.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:04 pm
ClassII wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:35 pm Just a friendly reminder to look into a password manager (one with a family account, preferably). On top of being able to set up complex passwords that are easy to rotate they also have 2-factor code generators. This is way better than text-message based 2-factor as SIM cards are easy to spoof. It makes web sites nearly un-hackable if used properly. Facebook and Instagram may not seem like high-priority web sites for hackers but the personal information they store can be extremely dangerous.

This is all great advice that I personally follow. But getting a head strong college age kid with existing mental health issues to focus on such things is a challenge. Having said that a password manager may make things easier for her. I'll float the idea.
I deleted my FB account and rue the day I opened it. That said, getting my kids to delete theirs is a losing battle. I have convinced one of them to get a password manager.

Good luck. Sorry for your troubles.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Ha, I never signed up with Facebook. Having all those friends suddenly sounded unreal and fake to me.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

likegarden wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:44 am Ha, I never signed up with Facebook. Having all those friends suddenly sounded unreal and fake to me.
You can (most people do) just be friends with your actual friends and family.

Sadly the news feed killed Facebook. Pre-2006 or so it was awesome, but you could also expect that nobody outside your college would see your pictures too...
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:19 am
JBTX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:04 pm

I deleted my FB account and rue the day I opened it. That said, getting my kids to delete theirs is a losing battle. I have convinced one of them to get a password manager.

Good luck. Sorry for your troubles.
I pretty much can’t stand it. Nonetheless you can just have an account sitting there friended to some friends and family and otherwise ignore it. Given kids are on it I like to have it just to occasionally look in on what crazy or inappropriate things they may be putting out there. Like anything else if you have secure password 2fa etc you won’t likely have problems.

The rare occasion I go on there inevitably you get sucked into the feed but after about 5 minutes I’m reminded how much I hate it. At least most of the political content has been filtered out by getting rid of feed items from problem posters.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

likegarden wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:44 am Ha, I never signed up with Facebook. Having all those friends suddenly sounded unreal and fake to me.
You pick the friends yourself. Why would they be unreal or fake?