Disney cruise end of month - good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Elysium

Disney cruise end of month - good idea?

Post by Elysium »

Randomly decided to check a cruise end of month and Disney has some 3 to 4 day ones, thought will be a low key getaway for family for few days, and while the risks are still there everyone is vaccinated and Disney seems like needing everyone vaccinated as well. They also must be one with more stricter controls than others. But more from the context wise, it sounds like good value, as I haven't seen them cheaper than this before. Is it a crazy idea to go on a cruise ship even with all this precautions, even if for 3-4 days. Everyone is healthy and no conditions of any sort.

Not asking for medical advice or any of that sort, personal consumer issues wise is this a sound decision to go at this time? seems like a good value to me.
Last edited by Elysium on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Devil's Advocate

Re: Disney cruise end of month - good idea?

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Live life

In before the lock!

DA
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

Disney cruises are awesome, but personally I wouldn't want to cruise under these conditions. I'll defer to those who have been on a cruise this year.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Elysium wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:42 am Randomly decided to check a cruise end of month and Disney has some 3 to 4 day ones, thought will be a low key getaway for family for few days, and while the risks are still there everyone is vaccinated and Disney seems like needing everyone vaccinated as well. They also must be one with more stricter controls than others. Is it a crazy idea to go on a cruise ship even with all this precautions, even if for 3-4 days. Everyone is healthy and no conditions of any sort.
Without getting into medical advice, what are you afraid of?
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

My family's healthy and vaxxed so I wouldn't worry about personal health much, but man, I'd sure worry about getting stuck in a quarantine type of situation.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Do it. I saw two of my friends who went on separate Disney cruises and it was well under capacity. They both had a great time. One of them are already on a Carnival cruise and was upgraded to a two story balcony suite. Also under 50% capacity.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m not a Disney person at all. But I went on a Disney cruise once, and they do a great job. I will vouch for them.

I’m not doing any cruises right now. For me, the hangup isn’t the cruise itself, but rather the hassle or uncertainty of going into other countries that aren’t as far along with vaccines, etc. (I don’t want to wear a mask on a Carri ran beach, for example). I don’t know if that’s a thing, but it’s something I’d at least have to think about.

I want to be able to do it, without any concern or inconvenience. And I just can’t do that yet. But I think other reasonable people could easily reach a different conclusion. And again, for me it’s more about the hassle now than my personal health.

If you go, I think you will have a great time!
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:48 am My family's healthy and vaxxed so I wouldn't worry about personal health much, but man, I'd sure worry about getting stuck in a quarantine type of situation.
I concur. This would include overseas travel. I would stick with domestic travel by car. I avoid crowded or contained areas as both vaxxed and unvaxxed can transmit.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Elysium wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:42 amIs it a crazy idea to go on a cruise ship even with all this precautions, even if for 3-4 days.

Not asking for medical advice or any of that sort, personal consumer issues wise is this a sound decision to go at this time? seems like a good value to me.
It might be a great value.
But it's not something I would do at this time, and not something I'd advise at this time.

We each get to make out own decisions, and bear the resulting risks. This might help: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vid19.html
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

I'd go. Disney is great, and as you said might be a great value.

I may be more inclined to skip going ashore (except their "private" island) unless I knew the local details.

For context, booked an Alaskan cruise out of Canada next summer. Looking forward to it!

Edited to add: we always book rooms with balconies, so we can get fresh air and avoid crowds. I'd think differently if I was locked in an inside cabin and had to fight crowds to be somewhere open.
Last edited by SnowBog on Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

There is no way I would go on a cruise during a pandemic as a new variant of unknown virulence is rapidly emerging. Seriously, risk health for a good value on a disney cruise?

I wouldn’t go due to concerns for me and my family’s health and also the potential for getting stuck in quarantine on the boat or on return.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

There’s dollars and then there’s sense.

Each will calculate costs in a different manner just as some things are not as common as you might think.

Personally I would not want to place myself in a locked container for 3-4 days with zero control of exiting the container in a reasonable amount of time, nor be possibly subjected to an extended forced stay on the same locked container. I read about all those freighter ships which were forced to stay offshore leaving the crew literally stranded. Nope, I would not take that offer even if they gave it to me for zero dollars.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Much like AA - "risk" is personal...

I have zero interest in mountain climbing/skydiving/etc. - I think they are too risky... Lots of people embrace doing so!

But my family is vaccinated, and I hope we've learned enough that we don't repeat stranding passengers on ships for long periods of time anymore. That happened early on - as countries were still trying to figure out what to do. But I haven't heard of that since and am optimistic it won't be an issue.

That said, with the new variant emerging - I'd be cautious flying internationally - as that could be problematic getting there/back.

But I'm assuming if it's a 3-/4-day cruise, it likely leaves from the US, only goes to 1-2 ports and likely only for a few hours each, and the cruise line should be prepared with contingency plans if a port ends up closed to them (which could happen for bad weather/etc. as well).

Is this "risk less" - no...

Is it too risk for you? Only you can decide.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

It seems to me the fact you need to ask implies it is a stressful decision and not worry free. For a vacation, that is an automatic pass for me.

SnowBog wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 pm Much like AA - "risk" is personal...

I have zero interest in mountain climbing/skydiving/etc. - I think they are too risky... Lots of people embrace doing so!

But my family is vaccinated, and I hope we've learned enough that we don't repeat stranding passengers on ships for long periods of time anymore. That happened early on - as countries were still trying to figure out what to do. But I haven't heard of that since and am optimistic it won't be an issue.

That said, with the new variant emerging - I'd be cautious flying internationally - as that could be problematic getting there/back.

But I'm assuming if it's a 3-/4-day cruise, it likely leaves from the US, only goes to 1-2 ports and likely only for a few hours each, and the cruise line should be prepared with contingency plans if a port ends up closed to them (which could happen for bad weather/etc. as well).

HyperCat

Post by HyperCat »

Went on a (non-Disney) cruise, everyone survived, but it wasn't a great time. Probably wouldn't recommend. We thought we were comfortable with the health risks, until we were packed into a bus/restaurant/tour group every day with people who were all maybe too comfortable with the health risks. Meanwhile, attractions are closed, there are testing requirements, there's still all the usual cruise ship risks like food poisoning, plus the ever-present risk of getting quarantined somewhere. Just my take. Your mileage may vary.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:40 pm There’s dollars and then there’s sense.
I see what you did there... and I liked it! :D
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

almostretired1965 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 pm It seems to me the fact you need to ask implies it is a stressful decision and not worry free. For a vacation, that is an automatic pass for me.

SnowBog wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 pm Much like AA - "risk" is personal...

Exactly. Not for an entirely optional "vacation". Not at this point.

I learned something a bit unsettling on CruiseCritic about "what if" one is quarantined onboard some (?) cruise ships. And this could be simply because someone else tested positive, and onboard video showed you near them for whatever time period triggers a problem.

Not surprisingly, there are special areas of the cruise ship that have been set aside, empty, for quarantined passengers, for a variety of reasons. One of those is that crew need to take special precautions, so the potentially contaminated passengers are kept in one area. Crew don't keep going between "clean" and "not clean" passenger rooms, etc.

But that also means in some cases that passengers who paid extra (sometimes a lot extra) for larger accommodations and in some cases services... may be moved to areas of the ship that don't have any such accommodations.
And some passengers with balconies might end up being quarantined into inside cabins. (That may vary depending upon cruise line, cabins set aside, and numbers of passengers needing to be quarantined.)
And some families/others traveling together (including sharing quarters) may be separated.

For a short cruise, not pleasant, but maybe not so bad (?).
For a longer cruise, for however long a quarantine is in effect? No. Not willing to risk that, in case we sat or stood in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And that doesn't even get into the consideration of how we are older, with some medical conditions that would put us at much higher risk IF we got infected. Yes, we've had vaccinations an boosters.
And that gets into... it turns out that vaccinated people can indeed get infected, even if *usually* it's not severe.
Further... the virus can apparently continue to spread - and mutate - in vaccinated individuals.
To us, that changes the game too much.
When (assuming "if") reasonably good treatments are easily available, that will be different.

After all, one could get sick with something else on a cruise, or have an accident. We aren't waiting for zero risk. We just prefer to avoid the current and apparently changing risk situation with respect to Covid.

I have no information how Disney cruise lines handles this, however.

We REALLY miss traveling, and much of that had been cruising. :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Have been on several cruises with several different cruise lines including Disney...can’t say I was super impressed for the money spent. Although not as “nice”, Carnival was hard to beat value wise...we had a blast bringing in the new decade with them...such optimism...little did we know how messed up 2020 would be :( . Not going again til showing medical records and masks are no longer deemed necessary.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic is locked. Covid risk for a cruise falls under a medical issue.