Stationary bikes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Stationary bikes

Post by tc101 »

Please recommend a good quality stationary bike for at home exercise.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
sandan

Re: Stationary bikes

Post by sandan »

If metrics matter, this should be good. Just an example to get started. There are less expensive ways to get a similar setup.

Pedeltons are garbage if you care about measuring improvements or getting automatic resistance training via ride simulations apps.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/in ... r-bike-buy
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

I just got a deal from a friend for a new Bowflex C6 1/2 price . Fits my riding form . Have a Wahoo that I purchased and used last winter but my road bike is older and I needed to change out the gearing . The C6 matches up to the programs I used /Trainer road,Zwift,etc.but I generally liked Real visual video riding . The C6 reviews are Good ,its solidly built
Blanco 5.0

Post by Blanco 5.0 »

sandan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm If metrics matter, this should be good. Just an example to get started. There are less expensive ways to get a similar setup.

Pedeltons are garbage if you care about measuring improvements or getting automatic resistance training via ride simulations apps.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/in ... r-bike-buy
This or Tacx's version. Peloton is selling a bike now that fairly accurately measures wattage.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

If you're looking for a simple workout, there's no need to drop thousands of $'s on a bike. If you want the interactive experience and classes go to Costco and get the mid-level Echelon 4S with a year's subscription (it's on sale for $800 and I think was $100 less last week). If you don't care about the on-line experience they offer a simple version for ~ $350 and it includes a platform for your iPad so you can watch Netflix while you work out :D

If you're a full on biker and care about all the metrics, different story.
GJ48

Post by GJ48 »

tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm ...a good quality stationary bike for at home exercise.
I've used my diamondbackfitness recumbent for more than four years. There's enough variety in the pre-set programs for my tastes. Setting up user specs is tedious but tolerable once you get used to the procedure. I assembled mine by myself but could imagine some might find the project pretty tough without help from someone handy.

https://www.diamondbackfitness.com/prod ... mbent-bike
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

If you already own a bicycle, getting a set of rollers for them is a pretty economical way to go, especially if it isn't something you might keep at for a long period of time.
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

GJ48 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:25 pm
tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm ...a good quality stationary bike for at home exercise.
I've used my diamondbackfitness recumbent for more than four years. There's enough variety in the pre-set programs for my tastes. Setting up user specs is tedious but tolerable once you get used to the procedure. I assembled mine by myself but could imagine some might find the project pretty tough without help from someone handy.

https://www.diamondbackfitness.com/prod ... mbent-bike
I also have a Diamond Back Recumbent bike and use it almost every day while watching the morning news shows. I turn 70 in January, so what works best for me, may not be challenging enough for you. My daughter loves her Peloton and their video instructors.
craigers

Post by craigers »

Concept2 BikeErg. Works with Zwift and many other apps https://www.concept2.com/bikeerg/concept2-bikeerg
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 pm If you already own a bicycle, getting a set of rollers for them is a pretty economical way to go, especially if it isn't something you might keep at for a long period of time.
I second this suggestion ... with the caveat, you need to be sufficiently robust to deal with falling over once in a while, when your bike rides off the roller and onto the rollers' frame. I position my rollers on carpet and between two high-back couches that are in front of a TV. I hold one couch's top edge to balance myself while I start rolling.

I believe some rollers may be beveled, and I suspect those help you stay on the drums. Mine are not. Then again mine (Travel Trac Alloy Pro) were about $150 from Performance Bike. My understanding is that Kreitler rollers are the gold standard.

The great thing about rollers is that they work with the bicycle you already have (smooth road tires are recommended! Hybrid can be OK if the middle is smooth; knobby not recommended). Rollers are lightweight and easy to fold up and put away.
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

Take a look at Renpho stationary bikes. There is a companion app installable on a phone or tablet that allows the user to follow various programmed routes, with AI implemented to coordinate the ride speed and difficulty with the on-screen video. Moreover, this setup does not require a monthly subscription fee.

I bought one a few months ago, and I'd add that the bike has a solid feel to it. For about $500 and no recurring expenses, it seems like a good deal to me.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The Schwinn Carbon Blue bikes at my local gym are wonderful. Expensive but really nice and the belt drive is way better than a chain imo.
Cecelio

Post by Cecelio »

I have this recumbent bike. I tried it at a hotel workout room and really liked it. Riding the vacation high, I bought it as soon as I got home. It is very well made. Their upright bikes may be high quality, too. But 99% of the time it is a $1,500 coat hanger.

https://www.soletreadmills.com/bikes/lc ... -bike-2017
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

OP, can you tell us which category you’re looking into:

Casual gym equipment style

Peloton / subscription media style

Actual bicycle on a trainer

That will help us with recommendations.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a Peloton. Basic model.

The bike is great. Works perfect.

The subscription is better.

Yoga, cardio, biking, strength, stretching, running, walking, boot camps.

$39 but all 5 members of the house use it. 3 max at a time.

The variety and motivation is hard to beat. YMMV.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:30 pm I have a Peloton. Basic model.

Agree. Recommend the peloton without hesitation.
sandan

Post by sandan »

Kiter wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:35 pm I just got a deal from a friend for a new Bowflex C6 1/2 price . Fits my riding form . Have a Wahoo that I purchased and used last winter but my road bike is older and I needed to change out the gearing . The C6 matches up to the programs I used /Trainer road,Zwift,etc.but I generally liked Real visual video riding . The C6 reviews are Good ,its solidly built
Glad to hear. I've read that elsewhere. I was thinking about getting that or the IC4.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

OP, can you tell us which category you’re looking into:

Casual gym equipment style
Peloton / subscription media style
Actual bicycle on a trainer
That will help us with recommendations.
I'm 71. Trying to get back in shape after heart surgery. Mostly I walk and do light dumbell strength training. I have some minor foot problems so if I walk too much, my feet bother me. I would like to ride an indoor bike on the days I don't walk. My neighborhood has some very steep hills so it is not good for bicycling outside.

I have looked at the links provided and these stationary bikes are all more expensive than I had planned for. I'm looking for something around $300 or less..
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I think what you are looking for is the Peloton Bike+ :D

Don’t waste time or money on the rest
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I like recumbent bikes myself. I got a very cheap one and was actually surprised at the quality, but I’ve only had it a month. Here is the Amazon listing for it, tho I got it cheaper from woot. I’m 6 ft, 210 lbs and it seems pretty sturdy. Pain to put together, but not all that difficult, the hardest part is connecting the electronics etc, but there was a good video on YouTube to help. The calories burned is wildly inaccurate, and it doesn’t come with a pulse detector. I went cheap with the thought that if it as junk, no big loss.
https://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Recumbent- ... 355&sr=8-3
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm I'm 71. Trying to get back in shape after heart surgery. Mostly I walk and do light dumbell strength training. I have some minor foot problems so if I walk too much, my feet bother me. I would like to ride an indoor bike on the days I don't walk. My neighborhood has some very steep hills so it is not good for bicycling outside.

I have looked at the links provided and these stationary bikes are all more expensive than I had planned for. I'm looking for something around $300 or less.
Thank you! There are plenty of avid cyclists on here (myself included) thinking we need to get you ready for the Tour de France! The Yosuda would be my recommendation. It's $299 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D528W98/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm not a doctor, etc., but I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor that connects to your watch or phone. You can also pair apps on a phone or iPad, and YouTube has plenty of stationary bike videos that aren't over-the-top intense.

Your profile shows you in Atlanta, and there's probably a good amount for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. That might let you get a higher quality bike for your budget, although the Yosuda would certainly work for your goals.

Best of luck in your recovery!
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
CharacterCounts

Post by CharacterCounts »

Very satisfied with LeMond G-Force RT digital(recumbhttps://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=363692ent). Used daily for 10 years.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

I chose NordicTrack over Peloton. Bikes are comparably priced I think, but the monthly subscriptions are different. NordicTrack uses iFit and gives the first year free. After the first year, I went with an Individual plan price at $180/year (15/month) which includes instructed rides as well as non-bike workouts (yoga, stretching, lifting, etc.).
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

This may be a wee bit off topic…

I’ve used upright stationary spinning bikes at the gym for years. Just curious what advantage/benefit a recumbent bike provides compared to upright.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

I still have a LifeCycle bike from 20 years ago that works perfectly. I’d consider that a good brand. Of course, it doesn’t have any kind of video screen (the horror!)
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

If there is an existing bike sitting around in the garage, a bike trainer stand will convert it to indoor use for less than $200.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Normchad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 pm

How useable is a Peloton without the monthly subscription? I want a nice indoor bike, but want one I can use without needing to pay a monthly subscription for.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Finridge wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:00 pm

How useable is a Peloton without the monthly subscription? I want a nice indoor bike, but want one I can use without needing to pay a monthly subscription for.
You can simply ride. There are a few basic/scenic rides included with no subscription. You still get to track your cadence and adjust the tension from 0-100 and see your output. A fully functioning spin bike without the subscription. You must make up your own rides.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It’s a good bike. But in my opinion, the content is their special sauce. Without a subscription, it still works as a good bike, but I just wouldn’t bother buying it if you don’t plan to have the subscription.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

I am a serious bicyclist but I can only ride about 5-6 months out of the year in Seattle. As I have gotten older, my enthusiasm for riding in the wet and dark has gone down. I used to put one of my road bikes up on rollers, but a few years back bought a Schwinn AirDyne AD6, to have the upper body workout as well. I have it next to my Concept 2 Model D in my home office so I can watch the news while exercising.
sandan

Post by sandan »

Wings5 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:25 pm
tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm I'm 71. Trying to get back in shape after heart surgery. Mostly I walk and do light dumbell strength training. I have some minor foot problems so if I walk too much, my feet bother me. I would like to ride an indoor bike on the days I don't walk. My neighborhood has some very steep hills so it is not good for bicycling outside.

I have looked at the links provided and these stationary bikes are all more expensive than I had planned for. I'm looking for something around $300 or less.
Thank you! There are plenty of avid cyclists on here (myself included) thinking we need to get you ready for the Tour de France! The Yosuda would be my recommendation. It's $299 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D528W98/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm not a doctor, etc., but I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor that connects to your watch or phone. You can also pair apps on a phone or iPad, and YouTube has plenty of stationary bike videos that aren't over-the-top intense.

Your profile shows you in Atlanta, and there's probably a good amount for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. That might let you get a higher quality bike for your budget, although the Yosuda would certainly work for your goals.

Best of luck in your recovery!
I think the Tour de France comment is a bit of a stretch.

Having access to a decent setup with an accurate power meter and ERG can make indoor riding bearable for many of people. A boglehead and/or people that count calories should be aware about those features.
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:12 pm I chose NordicTrack over Peloton.
I have a Peloton and my only regret is not getting it sooner.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I have narrowed it down to these two bikes:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... QHMV&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... QHMV&psc=1

The second one costs more, but it has magnetic resistance and is probably sturdier, made for 350 lb people.

Can't decide if I want to spend the extra $200 for the better bike.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I have had a Lifefitness recumbent bike for many years. It has been durable and I find it much more comfortable than upright models.

https://www.lifefitness.com/en-us/catal ... rcise-bike
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm Please recommend a good quality stationary bike for at home exercise.
If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten an assault bike. We have basically no internet at home so any smart bike is out for us.
I ended up getting an older spin bike off facebook marketplace for $100, but there are no electronics etc.
The gym I go to has the assault bikes that have the arms that move and I really enjoy using them.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

tc101 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:21 pm I have narrowed it down to these two bikes:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... QHMV&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... QHMV&psc=1

The second one costs more, but it has magnetic resistance and is probably sturdier, made for 350 lb people.

Can't decide if I want to spend the extra $200 for the better bike.
Looks like $120 difference to me. $299 less $30 coupon vs. $439 less $50 coupon. I would definitely go for the magnetic resistance.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

As a standalone bike, there are much better options than the Peloton for less money -- Keiser, Schwinn, Lemond, etc.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Picasso wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:25 pm I think what you are looking for is the Peloton Bike+ :D

Don’t waste time or money on the rest
OP should think of the motivation he may want, or need. Rollers, bike trainers, you are on your own. So you have to be pretty self motivated to ride them long enough and regular enough to get anything out of it.
If OP presently rides a bike outdoors on a regular basis perhaps a trainer or roller is OK.
But if OP is wanting to get some exercise and presently is not a cyclist, then motivation is more important than the bike you use.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

Same here, been in household for years and no complaints. The interaction is really appreciated.
29er

Post by 29er »

I recommend Keiser M3i. The magnetic resistance is the quietest.
Pricey but worth it.

They have it on sale right now, before price increase next year.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

I love my Peloton, but you certainly don't need to spend that much. I enjoy the interface, though, so it's worth it to me.

Many people like the Echelon. It's closer to $500 that $300, but it's very popular and I believe I've seen them at Costco. You can use a non-Peloton bike with the Peloton app for something like $15 or les per month if you'd like to follow their classes based on effort rather than their actual numbers. I think there are Peloton/Echelon resistance conversion tables out there as well. I'd definitely look on Craigslist for a used bike, too.

Have you considered rowing? It's a wonderful exercise and very low impact. I would get a Sunny rower off amazon if I had the space for it in my home gym. In fact, I keep considering getting rid of something else just to get a rower in there...
BaerLee$Makinette

Post by BaerLee$Makinette »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 pm If you already own a bicycle, getting a set of rollers for them is a pretty economical way to go, especially if it isn't something you might keep at for a long period of time.
This.

Personally, I like to train in my basement during the winter and close my eyes while listening to music or radio so instead of riding rollers, I use rear-wheel roller. This way I don't have to worry about keeping my balance. My front tire is stationary on the floor and the rear wheel is supported in a flywheel weighted resistance roller.

It was given to me over 25 years ago by a coworker and I still use it every year.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

29er wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:30 am I recommend Keiser M3i. The magnetic resistance is the quietest.
Pricey but worth it.

They have it on sale right now, before price increase next year.
We have the same bike and really like it as well, but it isn't remotely close to OP's price range either.

I recommend the Peloton app; it looks like the bike OP is considering has an iPad holder attachment, and as others have said, the Peloton content is really good for keeping you engaged. They have a range of workouts including some geared towards people recovering from health issues. The subscription cost is much lower for the app alone vs if you have a bike.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

I used to be a mountain/road biker, but knowing too many people killed or paralyzed in road accidents stopped me from riding on the streets anymore. To compensate, I bought a Stages SB20 about a year ago coupled with a Fuelgaz subscription. The bike/Fuelgaz has worked OK, but I have not used it nearly enough to warrant the cost.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Get a used airdyne
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

tc101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm Please recommend a good quality stationary bike for at home exercise.
Aside. .

Have you thought of a quality eliptical, ie: sole, etc?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

gmc4h232 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:43 am Get a used airdyne
+1
I had one of these for many ears, they are dependable and the fan certainly keeps things cool.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

I bought a Saris H3 smart trainer. It's super quiet and has good "road feel" pedaling. $600 new and I can use my existing bike.
For stand alone stationary bike I'd check out the Bike Erg from concept 2. Everyone that has one seems to love it.
hank-johnson

Post by hank-johnson »

I've had a Sunny for about 10 years and been very happy with it. It's pretty basic, but for less than $200 it's been a great investment.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I use my trusty old Trek road bike on a Kickr Snap trainer. It connects by Bluetooth to my phone to see real-time metrics. I have a TV mounted on the wall where I mostly watch Youtube videos of bike rides. I rode in Norway last week, New Zealand this morniing. :wink:

I did replace the Trek's saddle with a more comfortable one by Bikeroo for indoor riding.