Deterring dogs from doing their "business" next to my yard?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Beensabu

Re: Deterring dogs from doing their "business" next to my yard?

Post by Beensabu »

You can plant rosemary on your side of the fence and keep it trimmed back so it stays by the fence. It's pretty pungent and can help neutralize bad smells. Dogs don't particularly like the smell of it. By watering it, you will be soaking the ground by the fence and helping dilute the other stuff. It grows fast. Bees like the purple flowers. You can use it in cooking.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

clip651 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:49 pm
Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:29 pm Plant a poison ivy vine.
That won't deter the dogs. It will only deter observant owners, which might not be the majority of them.
That’s the point. The dogs don’t care. They roll in the ivy. They take it home, owner pets the dog. “Oh my gosh what did you get into!”

They look around for the cause, then never walk the dog by there again.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:16 am
That won't deter the dogs. It will only deter observant owners, which might not be the majority of them.
That’s the point. The dogs don’t care. They roll in the ivy. They take it home, owner pets the dog. “Oh my gosh what did you get into!”

The odds that the owner will figure that out are very low. MIght make you feel better to think about itchy owners, but it's not going to deter most of them. And there could be a different dog (and owner) next week.

Most dogs don't roll around where they pee. They could relieve themselves on the poison ivy day after day without ever getting into much contact with it.

Plus, poison ivy is darn hard to control. The idea that you could plant some along your fence line, and not have it popping up all over your own yard in random spots in a year or two is not realistic.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

clip651 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 am
Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:16 am

The odds that the owner will figure that out are very low. MIght make you feel better to think about itchy owners, but it's not going to deter most of them. And there could be a different dog (and owner) next week.

Most dogs don't roll around where they pee. They could relieve themselves on the poison ivy day after day without ever getting into much contact with it.

Plus, poison ivy is darn hard to control. The idea that you could plant some along your fence line, and not have it popping up all over your own yard in random spots in a year or two is not realistic.
Well my next idea is to paint a tunnel on a mountain side an convince them to jog into it.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Eh, our mailbox is mounted inside a brick column that is watered frequently by dogs passing by.

At least the dog owners are very good about removing the solid waste.

Fortunately the mailbox is far enough away that the smell doesn't bother us except when we get the mail.

With the rain showers and lawn irrigation, the pee gets washed away fairly quickly.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Oldaroo3

Post by Oldaroo3 »

JBTX wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 pm Hire a mime to perform there during peak dog walking hours. Or encourage a homeless person to sleep there.
Best response yet!