Mysterious package delivered by USPS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bertilak

Mysterious package delivered by USPS

Post by bertilak »

Today in the mail (USPS), ​I received a three-DVD set that I didn't (at least intentionally) order. It is a three-DVD set of Death in Paradise, a show I do watch.

I Googled the shipper indicated on the package but didn't get much of use. Basically, Google could not find it: Belushi Ltd, ..., Madison, MD. Google returned just a few extraneous hits.

There was a shipping date. I looked for charges on or about that date on the two credit cards I use and there was nothing I couldn't account for, certainly no DVD.

Amazon had nothing. I don't know where else I would order a DVD. Also, it has been a long time since I ordered a DVD from anywhere.

Question 1: Is there another way to track this down?
Question 2: Does this even make sense to anyone? Perhaps some sent it to me as a gift.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LittleMaggieMae

Re: Mysterious package delivered by USPS

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Could this be a gift that someone purchased for you? Was this something off your Amazon Wishlist?

Was there a packing list with the DVD? Is there a contact number there?
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Put it in a ziploc bag and wait to see what else happens.

Either it’s a scammer, a mistake or a secret admirer.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Ignore it.

Its "review fraud" or "brushing." Someone bought something with a fake account in order to give it a 5 star verified review. They shipped it to a random person.

https://www.yourmoney.com/household-bil ... hing-scam/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm Ignore it.

Its "review fraud" or "brushing." Someone bought something with a fake account in order to give it a 5 star verified review. They shipped it to a random person.

Odd.

These parcels apparently aren't traceable.

So, IF I understand correctly what is going on with "brushing", why would the scammer (person trying to up good reviews of their own selling site) send actual merchadise of any value? Why not send a bunch of newspaper of bubble wrap with a rock inside, etc.?
It's not like the recipient is going to file a complaint with the sender that "wrong item was sent".

What am I missing about this?

Confused RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

It is not in Amazon packaging. Just a generic media mail envelope. Looking at the Amazon site I see there are two versions of this and the cover pictures differ. The cover I have is cheaper, not Prime eligible version, AND it is Regions 2 and 4 (PAL) so I can't even play it!

The Amazon seller for the version I got is
  • Chalkys (Belushi Limited TA)
    7 Canada Close
    banbury
    oxfordshire
    OX16 2RT
    GB
Note the "Belushi."

Might this be the scam you mention? Seems odd they would ship overseas for that. Maybe they keep a stock in Canada, or Maryland.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Odd.

So, IF I understand correctly what is going on with "brushing", why would the scammer (person trying to up good reviews of their own selling site) send actual merchadise of any value? Why not send a bunch of newspaper of bubble wrap with a rock inside, etc.?
It's not like the recipient is going to file a complaint with the sender that "wrong item was sent".

Confused RM
You are missing that the person doing this needs to give Amazon an address. They don't want to give their address to prevent things getting traced back to them.

Post by 123 »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm ...AND it is Regions 2 and 4 (PAL) so I can't even play it!...
Perhaps there's a Regions 2 and 4 (PAL) player on the way to you as well! I understand there are some DVD players that let you switch the region but it's a limited number of times (may be as low as 1). So it might be possible to switch but not return to the USA standard.

If the USPS label had your name on it then it was clearly intended for you.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

123 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:39 pm
bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm ...AND it is Regions 2 and 4 (PAL) so I can't even play it!...
Perhaps there's a Regions 2 and 4 (PAL) player on the way to you as well! I understand there are some DVD players that let you switch the region but it's a limited number of times (may be as low as 1). So it might be possible to switch but not return to the USA standard.

If the USPS label had your name on it then it was clearly intended for you.
That would be nice!

I do occasionally order things from GB and shipping works as follows:
  1. Seller initiates on his end and seller tells me the tracking number for that part of the process.
  2. Item gets to the US where the seller's agent sends it on through the USPS.
  3. USPS tells me there is a package on the way and gives me the tracking number for that.
So, in this case no one bothered to tell me about the first part of the journey and I only hear about the USPS part. I do get a name and address for the US sender but, as I learned, that is of little use. It is probably some non-descript drop off point.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

My quick google search found different results than you. I do not want to dox, so I will leave out details. But there is a real person with that name living in that town with a complete totally normal social media presence including information about her not so long ago wedding. Given the sparsely populated county and the unusual name, I think you can be pretty sure there is only one match. In fact, I would consider removing her name from your original post in case she was not involved in the shipping or in case this is totally legit. I can PM you with more information if you have trouble seeing what I am talking about.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Katietsu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm My quick google search found different results than you. I do not want to dox, so I will leave out details. But there is a real person with that name living in that town with a complete totally normal social media presence including information about her not so long ago wedding. In fact, I would consider removing her name from your original post in case she was not involved in the shipping or in case this is totally legit. I can PM you with more information if you have trouble seeing what I am talking about.
Name removed from OP.

I did see those links but they were all to things I could not access since I have no accounts with them, and when I could dig out any information it implied locations nowhere near Maryland.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Odd.

Confused RM
The item (in this type of scheme) is ordered from and shipped by Amazon so the real item goes out. It costs the seller an item so you wouldn't see this scam with TVs, but it looks to Amazon like it's a popular item with great real reviews.

If you're selling a $5 widget made in China for $1 you can afford to do this in exchange for a few months of real sales before the reviews tank.
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

About 15 years ago, I got a heart shaped garden plaque in the mail, engraved, “Love is patient, Love is kind, Love never fails”. Which I didn’t order.

I called the garden center company & asked who sent it. They gave my wife’s name. I asked if they could check the credit card to verify the name. They said it was paid for by a check.

I told them that my wife passed away 11 years earlier. They said they were sorry.

A week later my deceased wife got a check in the mail for $24.90 from the garden center.

My kids (early teenagers at the time) said it was a message from mom.

I think someone at the mail order garden center made a typing error & accidentally typed in my wife’s account number so the garden plaque was sent to our address.

I’ve kept the plaque & check so my kids will have a good story to tell their kids, if they have any, about their grandmother.

Maybe you got the DVDs because of a typo error.

bill
River in Sight

Post by River in Sight »

Last week, I received 16 identical sets of measuring spoons in the mail.. very strange. Like some others in this thread, I assumed it was a "brushing" situation based on Google, but I cannot figure out why I want sent 16 sets of them
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you still have a computer that plays DVDs, you *might* be able to play it on the computer. That’s how I used to play Chinese martial arts DVDs.

Or every season is available on BritBox if you want to stream.

As far as why you got and what to do? Other people covered that better than I could.
z91

Post by z91 »

Was it named directly to you? If it's a show you watch, I suspect it's a gift. We had something like that come in a few months ago. My wife said it was some kind of expensive beauty products (as in, hundreds of dollars worth) and we called the company who refused to name the sender which is understandable, and did indicate we wouldn't be on the hook for any charges.

After a couple of months we found out it was a gift from a friend for their bachelorette party.. It would have been nice if they left a note or something.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 pm
Katietsu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm My quick google search found different results than you. I do not want to dox, so I will leave out details. But there is a real person with that name living in that town with a complete totally normal social media presence including information about her not so long ago wedding. In fact, I would consider removing her name from your original post in case she was not involved in the shipping or in case this is totally legit. I can PM you with more information if you have trouble seeing what I am talking about.
Name removed from OP.

I did see those links but they were all to things I could not access since I have no accounts with them, and when I could dig out any information it implied locations nowhere near Maryland.
I looked a little more. There is an Etsy shop operated by this person and she has previously registered an LLC. All looks above board. Starting to think that she sells as a side hustle on more than one platform and this was a gift. (This person is a native of the UK before moving to US about a decade ago, maybe that explains the DVD region?)

Anyway, I will PM the link for the Etsy shop if you want to follow up.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Last year my address was used for brushing. The name was almost random, something like Blamfig Troubotz. I called Amazon and told them Blamfig Troubotz didn't live here. They said just throw the stuff away.

I got 3 or 4 packages. It was all junk, apparently to generated a "verified purchase" review.

Things I got:
- random computer cables
- random gaming console accessories
- phone cases
- adult vibrator
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Katietsu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:22 pm Anyway, I will PM the link for the Etsy shop if you want to follow up.
Please send.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Tubes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:36 pm Last year my address was used for brushing. The name was almost random, something like Blamfig Troubotz. I called Amazon and told them Blamfig Troubotz didn't live here. They said just throw the stuff away.

I got 3 or 4 packages. It was all junk, apparently to generated a "verified purchase" review.

Things I got:
- random computer cables
- phone cases
- adult vibrator
Hahahahahaha. Good one!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I could not find Belushi Ltd as an entity licensed to do business in WI:

https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpSearch/Search.aspx

A few states, not sure about WI, however require by statute that if a business has a mailing address in a state, they must be registered/licensed by the state - the assumption is that they are doing business there and hence pay taxes to the state. It might be worth a call to the WI licensing agency mentioned above to see if they have any insights or complaints about the company.

Note the following discussion: if its read only and put in a CD player, no problem. If its not read only and put in a computer that's another matter:

https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpSearch/Search.aspx

Personally, I would consider this a "brushing" scam and either throw it away, or put it in a closet and see what happens.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 pm
Katietsu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:22 pm Anyway, I will PM the link for the Etsy shop if you want to follow up.
Please send.
I sent a message through Etsy explaining what I think is going on and asking if she can see any indication of this from her end.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Tubes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:36 pm Things I got:
- random computer cables
- phone cases
- adult vibrator
:-D

I could use a couple of those things....
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:56 am
Please send.
I sent a message through Etsy explaining what I think is going on and asking if she can see any indication of this from her end.
She said I should contact another shipper who in turn said he could only disclose the originator's name: "Tony." Well, that was no help! I was able to convince myself it was an Amazon 3rd party seller so I sent a picture of the DVD, the mailing label and a copy of the various emails to the Amazon fraud department in case it was of any interest to them.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:57 pm
Please send.
She said I should contact another shipper who in turn said he could only disclose the originator's name: "Tony." Well, that was no help! I was able to convince myself it was an Amazon 3rd party seller so I sent a picture of the DVD, the mailing label and a copy of the various emails to the Amazon fraud department in case it was of any interest to them.
TONY!?

Wait... Tony is always backing up the truck, isn't he?
He must be getting too much "stuff", so he's sending it all off to others.

Puzzle solved!

:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

bertilak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:57 pm
Please send.
It may be of interest to them. Don't expect a reply "thank you" back. I actually talked to an Amazon human about my brushing deliveries, and she would not commit to anything about fraud. I got one more package and then it stopped, so they probably flagged and deleted the account, because I could never find any reviews from that name.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Yeah, I wouldn't bother Amazon about it. They'll just start cracking down on logins to the point it will be impossible to log in and order anything. They'll have us provide selfies and videos to prove who we are.

In a kinder, gentler age the impulse would be to report these things, but unless it's major fraud, Amazon isn't going to care that much and they'll just put up more barriers for us innocent people.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

Another form of scam:

you find a really good deal on something substantial on amazon/ebay/etsy.... you order it.... they send you a trinket in an envelope with a letter saying "sorry its taking us a while to ship your valuable object.. please enjoy this trinket as our apology for being slow"... they close the order with amazon with the proof of the delivered trinket parcel which makes it more difficult for you to dispute the transaction since "it was delivered"....if you ever even get around to remembering it was never delivered,etc...
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

If it had your name on the label and it is something within your realm of interest, it could still be a wayward gift without a proper gift card or gift receipt in the package. My sister has a bad habit of doing this. She uses a pretty standard set of retailers though, so if a mystery box of cookies appears on the porch from a certain online bakery or if an Amazon package arrives addressed to me that I didn't actually order but it's something within my realm of interest, it's likely from her and I can confirm it with a quick call or text.