Expensive NFL Jerseys

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Expensive NFL Jerseys

Post by YeahBuddy »

Looking for some savvy shopper advice. Shopping for a Christmas gift for my 12 year old son, I thought I would buy him an NFL jersey or two of his favorite players. He is a HUGE football fan. Historically we purchase cheaper items (t-shirt vs jersey, cheaper sweatshirts found at discount sites, Walmart, cheaper shoes, etc) but I would like to get him a good quality jersey this time around.

I'm finding
- jerseys are VERY expensive ($120 / Jersey)
- most adult small sizes are sold out at the official NFL site
- the "cyber Monday" code doesn't apply to the more popular jerseys (Tyreek Hill)

So with this said, is there a good source for buying quality sports jerseys or is $120 what I should expect to pay almost everywhere? I'd prefer not to pay $240 for 2 jerseys that may be too big for him.

Thank you!
Light weight baby!
regularguy455

Re: Expensive NFL Jerseys

Post by regularguy455 »

Licensed NFL gear is expensive but it’s the highest quality you can find.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Buy once, cry one. The good stuff costs that much and sometimes more. I’ve seen jerseys for $160 so $120 seems to be a good deal.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

gator15 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:32 am Buy once, cry one. The good stuff costs that much and sometimes more. I’ve seen jerseys for $160 so $120 seems to be a good deal.
For a 12 year old who might outgrow it in 12 months, longevity might nit be worth paying for....
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

randomguy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 am
gator15 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:32 am Buy once, cry one. The good stuff costs that much and sometimes more. I’ve seen jerseys for $160 so $120 seems to be a good deal.
For a 12 year old who might outgrow it in 12 months, longevity might nit be worth paying for....
I'm an NHL guy and go to plenty of NHL games. Same high price issue. And OP, yes $120 is typical. There are reasons for that but discussion of such is against the rules of this board, so take it for what it is. Anything legal will be expensive.

Anyway, at the games, we see plenty of 12 year olds wearing jerseys that nearly scrape the floors. :D Perhaps adult medium may be another option. Sometimes, the physical team store (many have them at or near the stadium) have deals you can look out for.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Look for jerseys of a player that was recently cut or traded from the team. There might be a huge discount on the price. I paid $20 for a Nick Foles jersey at the store in the Eagles stadium in 2014, just after he was traded away. In 2017, Foles was back with the Eagles and was Super Bowl MVP. :D
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 am Look for jerseys of a player that was recently cut or traded from the team. There might be a huge discount on the price.
Yeah, that'll make for a great Christmas morning for the 12 year old :)
fup

Post by fup »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 am Look for jerseys of a player that was recently cut or traded from the team. There might be a huge discount on the price. I paid $20 for a Nick Foles jersey at the store in the Eagles stadium in 2014, just after he was traded away. In 2017, Foles was back with the Eagles and was Super Bowl MVP. :D
Thats next level cheap.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

$120 is what they cost. Unless your buying used, I don’t see an actual jersey being found for less.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Official NFL licensing is mega expensive. Whether it’s worth it to you, or it’s just a shirt that could be purchased for 1/3 of the price without the NFL license fees…that’s up to you.
drk

Post by drk »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 am Look for jerseys of a player that was recently cut or traded from the team. There might be a huge discount on the price. I paid $20 for a Nick Foles jersey at the store in the Eagles stadium in 2014, just after he was traded away. In 2017, Foles was back with the Eagles and was Super Bowl MVP. :D
This works for an adult, but you'd be setting up the kid for teasing/bullying.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Tubes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:40 am
randomguy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 am
I'm an NHL guy and go to plenty of NHL games. Same high price issue. And OP, yes $120 is typical. There are reasons for that but discussion of such is against the rules of this board, so take it for what it is. Anything legal will be expensive.

Anyway, at the games, we see plenty of 12 year olds wearing jerseys that nearly scrape the floors. :D Perhaps adult medium may be another option. Sometimes, the physical team store (many have them at or near the stadium) have deals you can look out for.

Good idea. Back in my teens I used to buy the cheaper shirts that were around $40 instead of the heavy wool or official $100+. I don't see those types anymore. Thanks for the feedback!
Light weight baby!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My family has bought NFL jerseys from the vendors at the games. That way you can try them on, check their quality, etc. and have a great memory of family time of a relative unique outing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I've seen some that look pretty authentic at flea markets.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Just saw this post. Randomly Googled "Josh Allen jersey". Had the size I wanted. Total including shipping was $75. The website FANATICS is reputable. So I got it. 🤷‍♂️

That leads me to think you can do better than $120.

-- Brian
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:19 am Looking for some savvy shopper advice. Shopping for a Christmas gift for my 12 year old son, I thought I would buy him an NFL jersey or two of his favorite players. He is a HUGE football fan. Historically we purchase cheaper items (t-shirt vs jersey, cheaper sweatshirts found at discount sites, Walmart, cheaper shoes, etc) but I would like to get him a good quality jersey this time around.

I'm finding
- jerseys are VERY expensive ($120 / Jersey)
- most adult small sizes are sold out at the official NFL site
- the "cyber Monday" code doesn't apply to the more popular jerseys (Tyreek Hill)

So with this said, is there a good source for buying quality sports jerseys or is $120 what I should expect to pay almost everywhere? I'd prefer not to pay $240 for 2 jerseys that may be too big for him.

Thank you!
The way you present this makes me assume you are frugal in most other aspects of life. Maybe this is the one time to not overthink the purchase and get the official jersey for $120 each. It's not like you'll be buying jersey's on a monthly basis.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

My parents bought me a k-mart brand jersey when I was in middle school. Although I didn’t know the difference, my peers were quick to point it out when I wore it to school.

At 12, I wouldn’t gamble and buy the real thing if you’re going to do it
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I totally get that kids might not want a knock-off, but I would strongly consider a custom knockoff. Not suggesting an illegal shirt bought from some shady guy in the city, but rather find one of the sites that do custom shirts with nearly identical colors, print the team name, but don't have the logo. That's just me.

I have 3 boys and they all love football, but I just can't spend $70, $80, $100+ dollars on gear. We have a bunch of old Andy Dalton and AJ Green T-shirts.

I always laugh when I see a game where people are wearing an old jersey.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

sureshoe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm find one of the sites that do custom shirts with nearly identical colors, print the team name, but don't have the logo.
Oh no.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

brian91480 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am Just saw this post. Randomly Googled "Josh Allen jersey". Had the size I wanted. Total including shipping was $75. The website FANATICS is reputable. So I got it. 🤷‍♂️

-- Brian

Nice find! A Tyreek Hill jersey, my son's favorite player, is unfortunately $119.99 on their website.
Light weight baby!
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:14 pm
brian91480 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am Just saw this post. Randomly Googled "Josh Allen jersey". Had the size I wanted. Total including shipping was $75. The website FANATICS is reputable. So I got it. 🤷‍♂️

-- Brian

Nice find! A Tyreek Hill jersey, my son's favorite player, is unfortunately $119.99 on their website.
If $75 is a “Nice find!”, why so much angst over the extra $45 for your son’s “favorite player”?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

This is where couponing can help. Fanatics, for instance, has a Cyber Monday sale. Use portals like Rakuten, Honey, etc. for discounts. Amazon has one which allegedly is licensed selling for $55 plus tax and shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Outerstuff-Tyree ... 098116XRH/
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

calwatch wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm This is where couponing can help. Fanatics, for instance, has a Cyber Monday sale. Use portals like Rakuten, Honey, etc. for discounts. Amazon has one which allegedly is licensed selling for $55 plus tax and shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Outerstuff-Tyree ... 098116XRH/
The amazon link is Fanatics/NFL Shop. Legit.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

-- Brian

If you can afford it and it will truly makes your kid happy, get the jersey. You mentioned it’s a Tyreek Hill jersey. He is a fairly young and great player for KC and I don’t expect him to retire or go to another team anytime soon. He is too valuable to that team. I mention that as your kid won’t have to worry about Hill not playing for the team next year and you having wasted $120. Going knockoff isn’t the way to go. Your kid may not wear it, then you’ve really wasted your money. After paying $120, you probably won’t think about the price after a few days. What will put a smile on your face is seeing your kid with a big smile as he/she walks around with the jersey on.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

It's a gift, not an investment. Don't cheap out and get a knockoff or a fakey t-shirt for your kid so you can buy more VTSAX. If he only wears it for one year and grows out of it (or Tyreek Hill gets traded/suspended/whatever) so be it.

Now that said, I understand it's a lot of money so if you don't care to (or can't) spend that much on a holiday gift that's perfectly respectable, but it's not the time to consider cost efficiency and save a few dollars just because.

Finally, just buy the one. No need to double up.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

If you have AMEX, check your offers, they regularly have offers like $20 back on $100 at Fanatics. Also, if you are having trouble finding the right size, try Rally House. It’s a sports apparel store in the KC area.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

fup wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 am
Thats next level cheap.
That made me laugh but I agree.
RDB

Post by RDB »

Fanatics.com
My boys are very into jerseys, they have …. A LOT. We typically buy them at fanatics. You know you will get good stuff from them, they have a lot of sales. I have bought them elsewhere and been disappointed in the quality.
sandan

Post by sandan »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm It's a gift, not an investment. Don't cheap out and get a knockoff or a fakey t-shirt for your kid so you can buy more VTSAX. If he only wears it for one year and grows out of it (or Tyreek Hill gets traded/suspended/whatever) so be it.

Now that said, I understand it's a lot of money so if you don't care to (or can't) spend that much on a holiday gift that's perfectly respectable, but it's not the time to consider cost efficiency and save a few dollars just because.

Finally, just buy the one. No need to double up.
Agreed, one is enough.

I still can't get myself to throw away all those expense jerseys people have given me over the years. I've probably only worn them once or twice each.

I've found high quality hats to be way more useful.
soxfan10

Post by soxfan10 »

gator15 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 pm

-- Brian

If you can afford it and it will truly makes your kid happy, get the jersey. You mentioned it’s a Tyreek Hill jersey. He is a fairly young and great player for KC and I don’t expect him to retire or go to another team anytime soon. He is too valuable to that team. I mention that as your kid won’t have to worry about Hill not playing for the team next year and you having wasted $120. Going knockoff isn’t the way to go. Your kid may not wear it, then you’ve really wasted your money. After paying $120, you probably won’t think about the price after a few days. What will put a smile on your face is seeing your kid with a big smile as he/she walks around with the jersey on.

I'll be that guy - I'd be way more concerned about buying my son anything with the name Tyreek Hill on it than whether the cost was $120 or $70. Buy a Kelce or a Mahomes or any of the other numerous players who dont beat up their partners and break their kids arm.
elle

Post by elle »

Definitely get in on the fanatics gift cards that are available at a discount. Cyber Monday at Amazon or Costco regularly has them.

Alternatively depending on where you live, TJMaxx has always been a great source of Boston team gear.

there’s always team gear at Target. One thing I’d note is the quality difference between authentic jerseys I’ve gotten at TJMaxx vs the target stuff where the print ends up peeling off.
captaindorky

Post by captaindorky »

As a Green Bay Packer fan (and foolish shareholder based on a previous thread), I have more than my share of purchased jerseys in the closet for players that no longer play for the team. Favre to the Vikings. Cobb to the Cowboys (he's back now). Jennings. On and on.

The jersey I like the best and can wear all the time? #15 Bart Starr. Old School classics LAST. The others? You never know.

Just a thought ;) Maybe not as cool for the kids. :/

As to the conversation on authentic versus replica? Cripes - when I was a kid I was happy with the licensed replica. (I'm talking licensed replicas, not the garbage looking knockoffs) They were like $50. Maybe less. The authentic jerseys with the stitched on numbers and letters are the ones that cost $$. Seems excessive for a kid. Would they really know the difference?

CD
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

pizzy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:38 pm

-- Brian

If $75 is a “Nice find!”, why so much angst over the extra $45 for your son’s “favorite player”?

I'm simply showing happiness for him that he found himself a nearly 40% discount. Or is that not allowed these days?
Last edited by YeahBuddy on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

pizzy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:19 pm
calwatch wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm This is where couponing can help. Fanatics, for instance, has a Cyber Monday sale. Use portals like Rakuten, Honey, etc. for discounts. Amazon has one which allegedly is licensed selling for $55 plus tax and shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Outerstuff-Tyree ... 098116XRH/
The amazon link is Fanatics/NFL Shop. Legit.

Youth size only? Or do you have a link to adult sizes? My son is 12, will need an adult small or medium. Thanks!
Light weight baby!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

soxfan10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 pm
gator15 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 pm

-- Brian

I'll be that guy - I'd be way more concerned about buying my son anything with the name Tyreek Hill on it than whether the cost was $120 or $70. Buy a Kelce or a Mahomes or any of the other numerous players who dont beat up their partners and break their kids arm.
Someone had to say it. Quite amazing how much leeway you get if you are a world-class athlete. Mahomes and Kelce seem to be men I'd have no issues with my son looking up to.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

agree Hill is a dirtbag. KC has a roster full of more 'decent' guys than him.

get another one -- i agree that if you do get one -- get an authentic one. they are high quality and will last forever

---------------------------------
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I am not sure this has been said yet already but get something that is really big on your kid, not something that fits him now. He will be able to wear it much longer as he is entering his peak growing years, and you won't end up with a $150 jersey that stays in the closet after 1 year because it no longer fits.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

The current Fanatics Amex offer I see is for $20 back on a $100+ purchase, up to two times. I believe that will have to be two individual $100+ purchases and not one $200 purchase.

Kroger also sells Fanatics gift cards and are running the 4X gas point promotion if you play that game. Fanatics also shows up on many of the "Happy" gift cards which Kroger sells and Amex also has a current offer for $15 back on a $100 Happy gift card. Happy cards work at several merchants, so Fanatics might be on the same card as Lowes, Subway, BJ's Warehouse, etc. You could stack it as:
  • Buy Happy gift card at $85 net for $100 through Amex link
    Use gift card for $20 of Fanatics purchase
    Put remaining $100 on Amex
    Use up the remaining $80 at Lowes, etc.
That works out to 17.5% off ($35) a $200 purchase. The only difficulty might be splitting the charge at Fanatics. I know the Happy cards can be a pain to use at times because they run like credit cards and not gift cards which messes with some merchant systems. You could always use up the first $80 of the gift card elsewhere and then it should zero out at Fanatics. Just depends on how many hoops you want to jump through.