ready-to-wear men's wool dress pants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mookie

ready-to-wear men's wool dress pants

Post by mookie »

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy high-quality, 100% wool men's dress pants that are ready-to-wear (do not need to be tailored)? Costco used to sell them, but no longer does.
Cheez-It Guy

Re: ready-to-wear men's wool dress pants

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

No, but I know an old conductor's trick to keep a perfect crease in your pants before you go out to perform.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Lauren by Ralph Lauren used to have them. I bought quite a few before I retired a decade ago. I think they still make them. Check Macy's.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Quality clothing and Costco are not things I put together. Cheap? Yes. Quality? Eh. These days I tend to buy my clothing at higher end retailers.
Kellerreiss

Post by Kellerreiss »

Brooks Brothers online. Same caliber as Costco dress trousers, probably same manufacturer. LOL, several years ago, local Salvation Army thrift store sold several dozen pairs of those Costco trousers, new with tags on, for $5/pair, then $2.50/pair on markdown.

Harder to find the menswear "business-wear" staples. Have you found replacement source for black cotton knee-high dress socks yet? Thank goodness Allen Edmonds remains in business.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

mookie wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy high-quality, 100% wool men's dress pants that are ready-to-wear (do not need to be tailored)? Costco used to sell them, but no longer does.
Do you mean washable or are you OK with dry clean only?

Tailoring is dependent upon how close your body is to a standard size. It's a one time cost and easy to hem the pants legs whereas dry cleaning is a recurring cost.

I've never been happy with washable 100% wool products; I've found some polyester and polyester blend slacks that look very close to wool in the Calvin Klein and Men's Warehouse lines. About $50 each, maybe less when on sale. Men's Warehouse will also do the alteration.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Check off fifth (Saks) or the rack (Nordstrom's) for Zanella. You will never go back.
Topic Author
mookie

Post by mookie »

stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:37 pm Do you mean washable or are you OK with dry clean only?

Tailoring is dependent upon how close your body is to a standard size. It's a one time cost and easy to hem the pants legs whereas dry cleaning is a recurring cost.

I've never been happy with washable 100% wool products; I've found some polyester and polyester blend slacks that look very close to wool in the Calvin Klein and Men's Warehouse lines. About $50 each, maybe less when on sale. Men's Warehouse will also do the alteration.
It looks like the most common options need to be tailored, so that's what I'll do!

Yes, I expect to have to dry clean 100% wool pants. That's just the cost of wearing that type of product...I've also found that 100% cotton dress shirts, even the non-iron kind, look and feel much better when laundered and pressed at the dry cleaner.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Land’s End has 100% wool trousers available in most sizes including unhemmed. The quality Is a good value for the price. They look like standard office wear. They will wrinkle and the fabric is lighter weight. I have bought many. It would take spending 2x then 4x to get nicer wool slacks. I’ve worn wool trousers to work for the last 15 years (including summers). Bonobos also have slacks and the construction seems a little better than Lands End but only a little and it may just be for show. Nobody seems to sell dark brown wool slacks or they are always out of stock.