Any Recent Experience Replacing Above-Ground Heating Oil Tank?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
iceport

Any Recent Experience Replacing Above-Ground Heating Oil Tank?

Post by iceport »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a quick reality check on the cost of replacing a standard 275 Gal. above-ground (in-basement) heating oil tank. Anyone have any recent (hopefully post-COVID) experience with this?

My No. 2 heating oil tank sprang a leak right before Thanksgiving. I sopped up the minor pooling, put a pan under the drips, and waited until Friday to contact my full service oil company, to let them have their holiday in peace. The guy who came out to inspect the situation on Friday gave me a rough, ball-park number of $4000.00 to swap out the old tank, but said it would have been $3000.00 before COVID. Does that seem feasible?

Some of the particulars:

— Walk-out basement with a straight-ahead 10' shot from the door to the tank under the basement stairs, so very easy access.
— Concrete floor, no carpet to worry about.
— Fill/vent pipes will need to be replaced to bring the undersized vent pipe up to code.
— I will just go with a standard steel tank, not a double-wall tank.
— North central CT location.
— There was no mention of replacing the fuel line to the boiler, which is 1/4" copper grouted securely into a groove cut into the basement floor, with no sign of leakage whatsoever.
— Work is to be done Monday or Tuesday.

Unfortunately, this is something of an emergency, so the oil company has me over a barrel. I don't want to antagonize the small family-owned business, and haven't even called around for prices with any competitors. But $4000.00 is almost double what I would have guessed for a basement installation, with no backhoe or remediation necessary.

Anyone have any recent experience they could share? Any other advice you could provide?

Thanks for any comments!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
shunkman

Re: Any Recent Experience Replacing Above-Ground Heating Oil Tank?

Post by shunkman »

My brother got a quote about a year ago for a similar replacement (location SE PA). The estimate was $3,000. He still has not replaced it because there is only an oily stain on the outside bottom of the tank, so it's not a bad leak (yet!). And he is considering trying to replace the tank himself with my help. The tank only can be purchased at HD for about $750. It would probably take two workers about half a day so $4,000 does seem a little high.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

This doesn't answer your question, but is your 275 gallon tank large enough to get you through a heating season? When I had oil, my tank was just a bit smaller than what I used every heating season, and I hated buying oil when I had to (tank is low) instead of market timing the prices. You may be able to make up some of the cost by putting in a tank large enough to get a volume oil discount (was 400 gallons for my supplier) and to be able to buy when the price is low during the summer.

A larger tank will cost more, but the labor to install shouldn't be that much more.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

shunkman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:41 pm My brother got a quote about a year ago for a similar replacement (location SE PA). The estimate was $3,000. He still has not replaced it because there is only an oily stain on the outside bottom of the tank, so it's not a bad leak (yet!). And he is considering trying to replace the tank himself with my help. The tank only can be purchased at HD for about $750. It would probably take two workers about half a day so $4,000 does seem a little high.
Thanks, shunkman. That's very good to know. At least the guy I talked with wasn't just making stuff up. Half a day sounds about right. He said they'd probably get to the house at about 9 am after loading up, and he'd expect to be done by 1 pm.

But yikes! I'd be worried for your brother. Hopefully there's not a lot around the tank that would get ruined if a bigger leak did start. I now know that they can start spontaneously, with no warning. A day or so after I noticed a faint oil odor I found a gusher yielding about a gallon a day. (A magnetic patch has it slowed down to about 1.5" deep in a windshield washer fluid bottle after two days.) Your brother would be better off controlling the timing of the replacement, rather than ending up in an emergency situation in the middle of the heating season. :annoyed

I'd be tempted to try it myself, but handling any fuel in the tank would be a pain, as would figuring out the current building code requirements and checking in at the town hall. But it's definitely not rocket science.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

suemarkp wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:19 pm This doesn't answer your question, but is your 275 gallon tank large enough to get you through a heating season? When I had oil, my tank was just a bit smaller than what I used every heating season, and I hated buying oil when I had to (tank is low) instead of market timing the prices. You may be able to make up some of the cost by putting in a tank large enough to get a volume oil discount (was 400 gallons for my supplier) and to be able to buy when the price is low during the summer.

A larger tank will cost more, but the labor to install shouldn't be that much more.
Thanks for the suggestion, suemarkp. In my case, I don't think a larger tank — or two this size — would last a whole season, either. It's an older house that doesn't have great insulation in the exterior walls. Automatic oil delivery comes 4 - 5 times a season to top up the tank. Plus, the 275 gal. size fits really well under the stairs.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

If it makes you feel better and you have time, get another quote.

Just getting rid of the old tank could be, and probably would be, a hassle if one does the job themselves.
Regards | Bob
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

TT wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:44 am " There was no mention of replacing the fuel line to the boiler, which is 1/4" copper grouted securely into a groove cut into the basement floor, with no sign of leakage whatsoever."

If the copper fuel line is buried in concrete it should be sleeved as copper will corrode if not protected from interacting with the concrete. I would guess it is also in the building code.
Yes, I read about that online somewhere. I just wonder if a tank replacement is considered sufficient to warrant bringing the downstream fuel line up to current code. I kinda hope not, but after experiencing the tank leak, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, even if it's not absolutely required...
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

Padlin wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:41 am Just getting rid of the old tank could be, and probably would be, a hassle if one does the job themselves.
Without a doubt!

Yeah, this probably isn't the kind of work that would generate such a nice feeling of accomplishment that it would be worth enduring all the hassle and mess. The technician said he can't even smell the oil odor anymore. I don't really want to ever get to that stage...
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

we had an underground one pulled up and put a new one in the basement.
$3,200 for the new one to be set up northern NJ. If they have to do the pipes, that might be causing the higher price. Our town required a permit to do everything.

We're on auto delivery for the oil and if I feel that it is getting close or bad weather, I can order a delivery as well via the company's website.

Just FYI, the one we pulled up was 500 gallons - guy said it would last another 65 years (all sand below our house)
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I replaced one a month or so ago, CT Shoreline area. Basic Granby 275 gallon. They quoted $2900 but I negotiated to $2700 due to the ease of removal/installation at my house. I think the easy jobs subsidize the tougher ones.

They did replace the line to the furnace that was under concrete, but that seemed to be a pretty simple operation. 4 men, 2 trucks, 2 hours on site for the job.
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

GG1273 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm we had an underground one pulled up and put a new one in the basement.
$3,200 for the new one to be set up northern NJ. If they have to do the pipes, that might be causing the higher price.
True. Also, that $3200 doesn't include the disposal of the existing tank either, right?

Thanks for another data point.
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

abner kravitz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:35 pm I replaced one a month or so ago, CT Shoreline area. Basic Granby 275 gallon. They quoted $2900 but I negotiated to $2700 due to the ease of removal/installation at my house. I think the easy jobs subsidize the tougher ones.

They did replace the line to the furnace that was under concrete, but that seemed to be a pretty simple operation. 4 men, 2 trucks, 2 hours on site for the job.
Wow. Seems like my suspicions of getting gouged might be warranted!

Thanks for posting, abner kravitz, fellow Nutmegger!
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

iceport wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm
abner kravitz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:35 pm I replaced one a month or so ago, CT Shoreline area. Basic Granby 275 gallon. They quoted $2900 but I negotiated to $2700 due to the ease of removal/installation at my house. I think the easy jobs subsidize the tougher ones.

Wow. Seems like my suspicions of getting gouged might be warranted!

Thanks for posting, abner kravitz, fellow Nutmegger!
Glad to help, good luck with this.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

iceport wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:41 pm
GG1273 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm we had an underground one pulled up and put a new one in the basement.
$3,200 for the new one to be set up northern NJ. If they have to do the pipes, that might be causing the higher price.
True. Also, that $3200 doesn't include the disposal of the existing tank either, right?

Thanks for another data point.
In our case, included the disposal of the old tank
brianH

Post by brianH »

iceport wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:15 pm Yes, I read about that online somewhere. I just wonder if a tank replacement is considered sufficient to warrant bringing the downstream fuel line up to current code. I kinda hope not, but after experiencing the tank leak, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, even if it's not absolutely required...
It most likely would be required. If you're doing the tank to prevent leaks, you might as well do the line as well. A leak in the line is just as bad as one in the tank, and depending on how it's cut in the concrete, might go undetected for longer.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

I did this a couple of years ago, and convinced my mother and also a widowed neighbor to do so as well. Same company did all three jobs. About $2400 each time. They also replaced the filler pipe and whistler pipe, and replaced the (sleeved) copper line that feeds the boiler. They did an excellent job each time.
$4,000 sounds way high.
And I'm not sure what COVID has to do with it. Any excuse to jack up prices I guess...
Cheers
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

brianH wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 pm
iceport wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:15 pm Yes, I read about that online somewhere. I just wonder if a tank replacement is considered sufficient to warrant bringing the downstream fuel line up to current code. I kinda hope not, but after experiencing the tank leak, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, even if it's not absolutely required...
It most likely would be required. If you're doing the tank to prevent leaks, you might as well do the line as well. A leak in the line is just as bad as one in the tank, and depending on how it's cut in the concrete, might go undetected for longer.
Yes, it's required and included in the formal proposal. I agree it should be done, it's good for peace of mind.
Topic Author
iceport

Post by iceport »

Harry Livermore wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:17 pm I did this a couple of years ago, and convinced my mother and also a widowed neighbor to do so as well. Same company did all three jobs. About $2400 each time. They also replaced the filler pipe and whistler pipe, and replaced the (sleeved) copper line that feeds the boiler. They did an excellent job each time.
$4,000 sounds way high.
And I'm not sure what COVID has to do with it. Any excuse to jack up prices I guess...
Cheers
Well, that was my gut reaction also: gouging. But if it's true, they all seem to be doing it.

I've got a couple more data points now, and they're amazingly consistent.

— An HVAC contractor that put in a water heater for me 6 years ago was willing to give me a verbal opinion of the cost of the simplest tank replacement job with no complications. $4k. I said I had heard of a recent job down on the shore that went for under $3k (that from abner kravitz in this thread). He said he didn't think there could be a responsible bid (my description, but it's what he meant) for under $3500, with a real sharp pencil.

— I've obtained a copy of a quote from September for the same simple job up in my hometown in NW MA, and it was for $3900. The owner hesitated, and now two months later the price is up $200 to $4100 — a 5% increase.

So whether it's gouging or not, these contractors here in southern New England all seem to be getting $4000 for a basic tank replacement. One guy from the company that will do the work said even the cost of the steel piping, never mind the copper tubing, has gone crazy lately.

They're coming on Friday...
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

The peace of mind, when this is done, will outweigh the outsize charge.
Cheers