Cancun like destinations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Cancun like destinations

Post by andyandyandy »

Well, there are many beaches...but the unique thing about Cancun was Beach+All Inclusive Resorts+
Chichén Itzá(I mean one of the 7 wonders and History).

Any more destinations like this where not just beaches but some more variety along with.
Appreciate ideas!

It's for next year Feb or Summer.

Thanks in advance!
Mr.RegPark

Re: Cancun like destinations

Post by Mr.RegPark »

Puerto Vallarta is much more authentically Mexican, all inclusive options ( if you are so inclined) also. If you like Sr. Frogs and spring break, go to Cancun. Crime slightly worse in Cancun.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Cancun like is to be avoided, not looked for.
Something somewhat similar but much better is Belize with San Pedro (some AI available) + Tikal in Guatemala + blue mountains, or Costa Rica with beaches (there are some AI on Pacific side if one desires) + many other activities nature oriented.
Why would you want AI though? I avoid them like the plague. Because I do not at and drink huge quantities I end up subsidizing other people, food is at most mediocre, and contact with outside world/culture is very limited.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

A few years ago there were many recommendations here on Bogleheads for Finest Playa Mujeres in Cancun. We ended up there for a large event (so we did not choose the venue) and loved it. The same company opened a new resort, Finest Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic. Since it is new, it is much cheaper than the Cancun resort, brand new, and beautiful. We went in early October shortly after it opened. But, between Covid, supply chain issues (compounded by its location on an island), and it being new, there are far fewer food and drink options and they are still finding their way. If you don't need top shelf liquor and don't go to an all-inclusive for premier food, you will be ok, and it is well worth the current pricing.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

Mr.RegPark wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 am Puerto Vallarta is much more authentically Mexican, all inclusive options ( if you are so inclined) also. If you like Sr. Frogs and spring break, go to Cancun. Crime slightly worse in Cancun.
Where do you recommend in Puerto Vallarta for all inclusive, swimmable beach, and fairly reasonable price (say, under $700/night for a basic room)? We've never been to Puerto Vallarta but would love to go.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Since you’re asking for other ideas, have you looked into Turks & Caicos Islands? We visited Grand Turk in Oct 2021 and loved it so much we’re returning in Feb 2022 during whale watching season (among other things).

The beaches are excellent and the water is beautiful. T&C is a snorkeling & diving destination. Around Providenciales (on Caicos) you’ll find your typical all-inclusive resorts and/or tourist activities. On the other end of the spectrum, Grand Turk is similar to what things were in the islands 30 or so years ago.
Last edited by spectec on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
mancich

Post by mancich »

spectec wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:03 am Since you’re asking for other ideas, have you looked into Turks & Caicos Islands? We visited Grand Turk in Oct 2021 and loved it so much we’re returning in Feb 2022 during whale watching season (among other things).

The beaches are excellent and the water is beautiful. T&C is a snorkeling & diving destination. Around Providenciales on Caicos you’ll find your typical all-inclusive resorts and/or tourist activities. Grand Turk is similar to what things were in the islands 30 or so years ago.
+1 T&C was the best I have visited in the Caribbean so far.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Agree with the others who mentioned T&C. Definitely the best beach destination I've visited.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

T&C is indeed great and we'll be there in Jan-Feb, though not in a AI, but be aware of their Covid entry requirements. The application process and approval time (often at the last minute) can be stressful for some.

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/tu ... s-covid-19
Watty

Post by Watty »

andyandyandy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 pm Any more destinations like this where not just beaches but some more variety along with.
I think the OP was asking for places where are things to do other than just the beaches.

One place to consider would be the Greek Islands.

We were their about ten years ago before their financial problems and the pandemic so you would need to research the current situation but we had a good time there.

In addition to the beaches there are great white washed old towns with blue roofs on many islands and historic island of Delos that you can take a day trip to. There are around a dozen other major islands and over a hundred small islands that you can pick from to get away from the crowds.

Santorini is spectacular and worth going to see for a couple of days even though it is busy and cruise ships stop there. You have likely heard of Mykonos but it is very expensive and known for things like nightclubs so I would skip it.

The Greek Islands are very busy and apparently packed in July and August when Europeans take their vacations. We were there in September when the weather was still wonderful but in mid-September the hotel rates drop sharply and we were able to get nice mid-range hotels a block from the beach on islands like Naxos and Paros for around $50 a night. The same rooms would have been a couple of hundred dollars a night in August. I would assume that there are similar deals in the shoulder season in the late spring or early summer.

To get around the Greek Islands there are ferries that you can take from Athens and hop between islands and spend a few days on different islands. Athens of course has a lot to see but it is a big busy city so two days would be plenty of time to see the highlights. Don't spend too much time in Athens unless there is something you specifically want to see there.

The ferries can be delayed because of things like weather or mechanical problems so plan your time in Athens for the end of a trip so that you will not miss your flight if your ferry is delayed. Except for Athens for the most part we did not make hotel reservations more than a day or two ahead of time so that we could be flexible.

Avoid the rental scooters, lots of tourists are hurt or killed each year on those.

Even if you do not normally buy it I would suggest getting travel insurance if you go to the Greek Islands because the medical care on the islands is limited and if you have something like a broken leg you may need to be flow to Athens for treatment.

We did not do it but there is also a lot to see on the Greek mainland outside of Athens. We may go back for that someday.

In the Mediterranean be sure to research the quality of the beaches to have realistic expectations since they are often rocky and frequently not all that good compared to the wide sandy beaches in places like Florida, California, or the Caribbean.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Watty wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 am
andyandyandy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 pm Any more destinations like this where not just beaches but some more variety along with.
I think the OP was asking for places where are things to do other than just the beaches.

One place to consider would be the Greek Islands.

We were their about ten years ago before their financial problems and the pandemic so you would need to research the current situation but we had a good time there.

In addition to the beaches there are great white washed old towns with blue roofs on many islands and historic island of Delos that you can take a day trip to. There are around a dozen other major islands and over a hundred small islands that you can pick from to get away from the crowds.

Santorini is spectacular and worth going to see for a couple of days even though it is busy and cruise ships stop there. You have likely heard of Mykonos but it is very expensive and known for things like nightclubs so I would skip it.
There's also Rhodos (Rhodes). Again, very touristy stuff, but also historic stuff, quaint old town (haven't been there in 30 years, though).
The Greek Islands are very busy and apparently packed in July and August when Europeans take their vacations.
Yes. Scandinavian countries in July then the rest of Europe in August. Suffocatingly crowded. And much of Europe has been in on-off lockdown for over a year. Thus, desperate to get out and holiday.

Unfortunately as we have seen with this week's news, a moveable feast. We really won't know until long into 2022, it looks like. And things can change on a dime.

We were there in September when the weather was still wonderful but in mid-September the hotel rates drop sharply and we were able to get nice mid-range hotels a block from the beach on islands like Naxos and Paros for around $50 a night. The same rooms would have been a couple of hundred dollars a night in August. I would assume that there are similar deals in the shoulder season in the late spring or early summer.

To get around the Greek Islands there are ferries that you can take from Athens and hop between islands and spend a few days on different islands. Athens of course has a lot to see but it is a big busy city so two days would be plenty of time to see the highlights. Don't spend too much time in Athens unless there is something you specifically want to see there.

The ferries can be delayed because of things like weather or mechanical problems so plan your time in Athens for the end of a trip so that you will not miss your flight if your ferry is delayed. Except for Athens for the most part we did not make hotel reservations more than a day or two ahead of time so that we could be flexible.

Avoid the rental scooters, lots of tourists are hurt or killed each year on those.
Very wise advice, indeed. Greeks drive like mad people.
Even if you do not normally buy it I would suggest getting travel insurance if you go to the Greek Islands because the medical care on the islands is limited and if you have something like a broken leg you may need to be flow to Athens for treatment.
Who travels without travel insurance (serious question)? Is it because Americans' own health insurance provides coverage? I cannot imagine doing so (from a British perspective).

Some policies cover Covid, some do not. It's worth checking. 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel somewhere can get expensive.
We did not do it but there is also a lot to see on the Greek mainland outside of Athens. We may go back for that someday.

In the Mediterranean be sure to research the quality of the beaches to have realistic expectations since they are often rocky and frequently not all that good compared to the wide sandy beaches in places like Florida, California, or the Caribbean.
This is all good stuff. There's endless stuff to see in Greece. For example the Peloponnesus (Mycenae, Mithras etc).

Driving in Greece is scary, so a bus tour for that part of the trip might be advised.

Other places to consider:

- Crete

Fabulous island. Main issue is the western part of Crete is much less touristy (and very interesting). You have to pick your location on the eastern part very carefully because it is so overdeveloped. Even Greeks think Cretans drive like madmen.

- Cyprus

There are ruins and history aplenty. Beware that The Republic of North Cyprus is only recognised by Turkey, and whilst it is possible to make day trips between the two, you may have problems in Greece if your passport is stamped w N Cyprus (I have heard of people being refused entry). So probably, for a first trip, stay in the Republic of Cyprus (ie the south).

- Turkey

One could also consider Turkey which is a fabulous country. Beautiful resorts, Roman ruins, Istanbul itself is both amazing (and overwhelming).

It's not (or was not) easy to travel between Greece and Turkey. In particular there are arguments about who, historically, has the right to the islands (which are almost entirely Greek) which make travel difficult.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you all for your replies and input!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

mancich wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:48 am
spectec wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:03 am Since you’re asking for other ideas, have you looked into Turks & Caicos Islands? We visited Grand Turk in Oct 2021 and loved it so much we’re returning in Feb 2022 during whale watching season (among other things).

The beaches are excellent and the water is beautiful. T&C is a snorkeling & diving destination. Around Providenciales on Caicos you’ll find your typical all-inclusive resorts and/or tourist activities. Grand Turk is similar to what things were in the islands 30 or so years ago.
+1 T&C was the best I have visited in the Caribbean so far.
I second this motion. Or is it third? I’ve been to T&C three times (Parrot Cay each time) and look forward to the next time. Note that the island offers a lot of solitude rather than crowds and bustling nightlife.

Also great is the Don Cesar in St Pete’s beach FL.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

momvesting wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 am
Mr.RegPark wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 am Puerto Vallarta is much more authentically Mexican, all inclusive options ( if you are so inclined) also. If you like Sr. Frogs and spring break, go to Cancun. Crime slightly worse in Cancun.
Where do you recommend in Puerto Vallarta for all inclusive, swimmable beach, and fairly reasonable price (say, under $700/night for a basic room)? We've never been to Puerto Vallarta but would love to go.
We didn't go for all inclusive, and those resorts are definitely not my style, but we went somewhere serviceable (Villa del Palmar Flamingos) via Costco Travel. Included transfers from airport. See if Costco has anything that appeals to you.

We had a delicious lunch in town at Casa Tradicional and a nice coffee at the Original Cigar Factory and Cafe.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

Virgin Gorda in the BVI (obviously!)
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

Starfish wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:15 am Cancun like is to be avoided, not looked for.
Something somewhat similar but much better is Belize with San Pedro (some AI available) + Tikal in Guatemala + blue mountains, or Costa Rica with beaches (there are some AI on Pacific side if one desires) + many other activities nature oriented.
Why would you want AI though? I avoid them like the plague. Because I do not at and drink huge quantities I end up subsidizing other people, food is at most mediocre, and contact with outside world/culture is very limited.
To each their own. While I prefer standard accommodations many, obviously, prefer AI which is why they seem to be growing not shrinking in numbers.

The few times I have gone AI I have enjoyed getting fresh cold beers rather than finishing every drop.

I always love the simplicity. Especially with kids. Nothing to think about it. Just go have fun!

Dominican Republic has some beautiful AI properties.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

momvesting wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 am
Consider the Grand Mayan (or one of its sister properties) in Nuevo Vallarta. IIRC, the beach is swimmable. It is part of a large resort complex that has several properties at different price points.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am
Watty wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 am
There's also Rhodos (Rhodes). Again, very touristy stuff, but also historic stuff, quaint old town (haven't been there in 30 years, though).
Greece offers the interest and history but the beaches are not similar from Cancun.

For sailors, the fortress of Saint Nicholas at the entry to Mandraki Harbor is an unforgettable sight. One is immersed in history at and around the marina with the medieval town nearby. Kos was the home of Hippocrates and a descendant of the Plane Tree still lives in town. Symi is a picturesque fishing town.

If you have not been there, you might enjoy Tulum for both beaches and history and all-inclusives. If you really want an all inclusive, then Mexico, Jamaica, and DR are industry leaders.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Fat Lip

Post by Fat Lip »

Turks & Caicos is very nice but it is not remotely “Cancun-like”, which was the OP’s request. The islands have been largely uninhabited until recent times so there is little in the way of historical interest. T&C is mostly condo-hotels at a completely different price point than Cancun. There are only a couple of all-inclusives and the main one, Beaches, costs $2.5k a night in February.

Costa Rica or Belize are good suggestions.