Catalytic Converter Issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kagord

Catalytic Converter Issue

Post by Kagord »

I just removed my downpipe to replace a rusted out flex joint and noticed the upper cat honeycomb was falling apart. Other than an alternator that went out and this flex joint, i haven't had any repairs, so I'm kind of disappointed that a 2nd thing has gone wrong so soon in my Camry, I do maintain it very well.

I read the Cat supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Just curious, would others expect a Cat to fail like this at over 370K, 27 years. At this point, it's really just getting broken in.
livesoft

Re: Catalytic Converter Issue

Post by livesoft »

Very funny!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Funny indeed! OP, I think you won the catalytic converter lifetime lottery!

https://www.google.com/search?q=typical ... r+lifetime
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Oh man, that's bad luck. And just after the warranty expired!

JT
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

You are so far ahead of the game that replacing a catalytic converter shouldn't be a big deal. It will probably only cost about one, maybe two, month's payment on a new vehicle to get it replaced.
The Sensible Steward
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

You should have bought a pre-1975 car instead of one of those new-fangled ones!
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Park it on the street. If your lucky, thieves will cut out the converter and insurance will help with the replacement.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:17 am Park it on the street. If your lucky, thieves will cut out the converter and insurance will help with the replacement.
More funny business! The OP probably hasn't had any insurance on this car for the past 15 or more years. :)

But it was stated that the car is not being driven much and instead is just getting broken into all the time, right?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Candor

Post by Candor »

If you live in the NE or some western states where they use a lot of salt/chemicals on the roads in winter you can expect undercarriage rust damage if you don't diligently clean it regularly. Regardless of location after 27 years and 370k miles even a Camry will begin to have some issues.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Find an independent muffler shop and have them cut in a new aftermarket cat and you'll be back on the road again.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:38 pm Find an independent muffler shop and have them cut in a new aftermarket cat and you'll be back on the road again.
Yep. Best advice.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I have two dead cats in my 98 BMW....been dead about 10 years. Performance is not affected, however if I had to go to emissions testing it would fail. Fortunately I am exempt from testing due to my age and low mileage.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Swansea wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 am I have two dead cats in my 98 BMW....been dead about 10 years. Performance is not affected, however if I had to go to emissions testing it would fail. Fortunately I am exempt from testing due to my age and low mileage.
Gosh, that must smell awful :P
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

RCL wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:08 pm
Swansea wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 am I have two dead cats in my 98 BMW....been dead about 10 years. Performance is not affected, however if I had to go to emissions testing it would fail. Fortunately I am exempt from testing due to my age and low mileage.
+1

And how old must you be to be exempt from emissions testing? :D
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:38 pm Find an independent muffler shop and have them cut in a new aftermarket cat and you'll be back on the road again.
+1

For instance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253386829342?h ... xyQj9RN-ht

for $132.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

RCL wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:08 pm
:sharebeer