Berkey Water Filter - Any Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Berkey Water Filter - Any Recommendations?

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

Have a family of 5 and looking to get a Berkey water filter. Looking at the Royal Berkey Water filter in particular.

Does Berkey or any other websites run a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale on Berkeys that you have seen in the past?

Would you also recommend any of these accessories - such as stainless spigot, stand, tote, primer, etc?

Thanks for any advice you can share!
DavidW

Re: Berkey Water Filter - Any Recommendations?

Post by DavidW »

So, we have ours for 10 years or so. I want to say mines is one size smaller than the biggest one at the time.

Overall, I am happy with it. I went from the plastic spout to SS within the last year. Can't say it made a difference but it looks nicer....

Mines is without a stand. Not sure where you will put this but you have to consider the height of the unit and stand. Also, when you refill, you have to be tall enough....

I usually go through a full thing of water in a day or so (more on weekend). I have 2 pairs of the charcoal/chlorine filters so it takes several hours to finish. I think the newer ones have more capacity.

every 6 months or so, I have to clean out the charcoal filter. You will know when it needs cleaning as there is still water on the top portion and it won't filter. The bottom end of the filter is plugged.

This is what I have done for 10 years (lasted 9 years on one set of filters) but it might be different from the manual. I unscrew the filter and put the small end (threaded end) under the faucet on low water pressure (there is a brown gasket they will supply). Low pressure is a small stream. You will see water beads up on the outside of the filter. I run it for about one minute. This forces the water to run reverse and clear the clogs.

also, don't overfill the water tank where there is water in the bottom portion. The water pressure will cause the water to continue to filter and you will have a mess.....

Good luck
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Much appreciate the info, David!
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Any other folks have recommendations? Thank you.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

We have had one for 10+ years. Our local water has various unpleasant things like arsenic which are not removed by most filters, but the Berkey with the additional floride/arsenic filters does the job. We've been happy with it. It is, I think, the Big Berkey (2.25 gallons) and the two of us using it for all our drinking water, coffee, etc. refill it roughly once a day. For a family of 5 I'd go as big as your kitchen allows.

Unless you plan to have it at the edge of a counter, a stand is pretty essential to easily accessing the tap. We have a metal stand which looks like the one on their website (but I think we got it from Amazon) which works well.

We have a plastic spigot and it's worked fine. If you want the metal one, I'm sure that's equal fine. Mostly a cosmetic choice in my opinion.

The one thing which is essential IMO is the the glass water view spigot. It lets you see at a glance how much water is in the lower tank. Even two reasonably responsible adults like us had problems with it overflowing before we got the water view spigot. Since it's gravity fed, the filter will relentlessly send water into the lower tank (and your counter and floor!) if the total amount of water in the upper and lower tanks is more than the volume of the lower tank. It's much easier to monitor when you can see how much water is in the lower tank.

I don't know if they have sales. I have bought replacement filters from various third party resellers and been able to save some money that way. The filters are just plain expensive, though. On the plus side, they last quite a while so on a per gallon basis it's not so bad.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Not sure if you live in California, but if you do keep in mind that the bigger Berkey's aren't allowed to ship to California as Berkey isn't certified in that state (I recall 1 or 2 other state has similar issue) as such I had to settle for the Travel Berkey, but it is not a big deal since its only my SO and I. However, what I found very useful is to have a jug for water so you use the jug and then refill your jug when you run out of drinking water so your not using the spigot numerous times a day (my original plastic spigot is still going strong after 5 years).

In terms of sales what you can do is look for coupons online... I believe some of the sellers offer coupons (5% to 10%) for first-time buyers or people that sign up for their newsletter.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Other candle-based ceramic filters get much better reviews versus the Berkey...enough so I wouldn't buy that brand.

I'd buy a Doulton product like this urn-style system:

https://www.h2odistributors.com/ss-2-do ... ity-filter

Here are some other urn & countertop Doulton ceramic filter systems:

https://www.discountfilterstore.com/dou ... ertop.html
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thank you everyone.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

ncbill wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:36 pm Other candle-based ceramic filters get much better reviews versus the Berkey...enough so I wouldn't buy that brand.

Appreciate the info. I haven't heard of these but I am new to water filtration systems. Would you consider the countertop version that goes on your exisiting sink for everyday use, and then maybe the urn-style system for emergency use? Thank you.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I don't have the sightglass to assess how much water is in the lower tank... My daughter uses the trick of tapping the side of the container to hear whether there is water or not (like you would with a watermelon)....

One thing I forgot. The dispensing of the water relies on having the ability for the bottom section to get air. Otherwise, water would not dispense (much like if you have water in a straw and seal off the upper end of the straw, water would suspense). sometimes, I would have water in the bottom section and as I refill the top, so water would drip down and get into the seal in between. It creates an air barrier and water would dispense but stops (even though you have water). I would have to lift the top portion or put a toothpick between the top and bottom to allow air to come in.... a minor inconvenience...
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

DavidW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:56 pm I don't have the sightglass to assess how much water is in the lower tank... My daughter uses the trick of tapping the side of the container to hear whether there is water or not (like you would with a watermelon)....

One thing I forgot. The dispensing of the water relies on having the ability for the bottom section to get air. Otherwise, water would not dispense (much like if you have water in a straw and seal off the upper end of the straw, water would suspense). sometimes, I would have water in the bottom section and as I refill the top, so water would drip down and get into the seal in between. It creates an air barrier and water would dispense but stops (even though you have water). I would have to lift the top portion or put a toothpick between the top and bottom to allow air to come in.... a minor inconvenience...
Good to know, thanks David.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I've had my Berkey filtration system for almost 4 years. Great feedback from others above.

I have my Berkey on the edge of a mobile island that I keep in a corner of my kitchen, so no need for a stand. Still using the original plastic spigot.

Question for others: how often do you clean the Berkey and filters? I think Berkey recommends cleaning the Berkey containers once per month. I'll be honest and say I don't usually do it that often.

Also, how do you clean the filters? Do you use a scrub brush or pad?
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am I've had my Berkey filtration system for almost 4 years. Great feedback from others above.

I have my Berkey on the edge of a mobile island that I keep in a corner of my kitchen, so no need for a stand. Still using the original plastic spigot.

Question for others: how often do you clean the Berkey and filters? I think Berkey recommends cleaning the Berkey containers once per month. I'll be honest and say I don't usually do it that often.

Also, how do you clean the filters? Do you use a scrub brush or pad?
Thanks for the feedback.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:20 pm
ncbill wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:36 pm Other candle-based ceramic filters get much better reviews versus the Berkey...enough so I wouldn't buy that brand.

Appreciate the info. I haven't heard of these but I am new to water filtration systems. Would you consider the countertop version that goes on your exisiting sink for everyday use, and then maybe the urn-style system for emergency use? Thank you.
Countertop would require water pressure, urn-type would not.

What exactly do you need treated in your water?

E.g. a carbon-based "taste/odor" filter is all that should be needed for municipal water.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am Question for others: how often do you clean the Berkey and filters? I think Berkey recommends cleaning the Berkey containers once per month. I'll be honest and say I don't usually do it that often.
In general for any water filtration system, the concern is a build-up of algae, bacteria, and general biofilm, which you'll want to remove on a regular basis. You have to figure out what the interval is for your environment by observation. Or you can go with the recommended cleaning intervals, which are based on average environments.

Also, don't forget to clean the spigot. I find Q-Tips with a drop or two of liquid dish soap work great for cleaning the spigot of many brands of water filters. Clean the spigot in both its open and closed positions. Make sure to rinse the spigot well, in both open and closed positions, after cleaning too. If you haven't cleaned the spigot in a while, you might be surprised at what comes out from a good cleaning, particularly if your area is prone to pink algae (which is really a bacteria). With the Berkey, you also have the option of just replacing the spigot during cleaning, although that's not as ecofriendly.

And don't stop to think too long about how (not) often water dispensers and coffee carafes at the office are cleaned. Or do, but then you might find yourself trucking in the day's worth of liquids to work every morning....
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:22 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am Question for others: how often do you clean the Berkey and filters? I think Berkey recommends cleaning the Berkey containers once per month. I'll be honest and say I don't usually do it that often.
In general for any water filtration system, the concern is a build-up of algae, bacteria, and general biofilm, which you'll want to remove on a regular basis. You have to figure out what the interval is for your environment by observation. Or you can go with the recommended cleaning intervals, which are based on average environments.

Also, don't forget to clean the spigot. I find Q-Tips with a drop or two of liquid dish soap work great for cleaning the spigot of many brands of water filters. Clean the spigot in both its open and closed positions. Make sure to rinse the spigot well, in both open and closed positions, after cleaning too. If you haven't cleaned the spigot in a while, you might be surprised at what comes out from a good cleaning, particularly if your area is prone to pink algae (which is really a bacteria). With the Berkey, you also have the option of just replacing the spigot during cleaning, although that's not as ecofriendly.

And don't stop to think too long about how (not) often water dispensers and coffee carafes at the office are cleaned. Or do, but then you might find yourself trucking in the day's worth of liquids to work every morning....
Thanks for the detailed information.

I don’t clean my spigot as thoroughly as you described but I definitely will the next time I clean my unit.

Don’t get me started on workplace water coolers!! I figured they’re probably a cesspool for bacteria. Yuck!