Comfortable mattress recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alex123711

Comfortable mattress recommendations?

Post by alex123711 »

I don't really know what to look for, any recommendations for comfortable bed/ mattresses?
Helios

Re: Comfortable mattress recommendations?

Post by Helios »

Purple, simply the best.
digit8

Post by digit8 »

We got a Casper 8 months ago, our first try at memory foam and it’s been fantastic. Just a little hassle getting it set up- ordered by mail and I wound up needing to a mover to help me because our circle of friends is not blessed in the health category. Well worth it though, I don’t see us going back to traditional mattress.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
spickups09

Post by spickups09 »

We got one of Leesa's higher quality hybrid models a few years ago and its been good. The model was called a Saphira at the time, but I think its called something else now. I remember it being an easy and kind of fun process to set it up out of the box after they drop it on your porch.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

We went 100% latex…too hard to tell the differences between vendors and liked the idea of less chemicals.

https://spindlemattress.com/products/latex-mattress
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Nod hybrid - I find it amazingly good - best mattress I've ever had
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RR ... UTF8&psc=1
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Interested in this topic as well. An adjustable bed without a hospital vibe would be great.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I recently replaced my mattress and did a lot of research.

If budget was not an issue, Tempurpedic would have been my choice.

I didn’t care to spend that much so purchased a Nectar. I really like the mattress, it is really comfortable. It seems to maybe sleep a little hot, but not so much that I want to return it, speaking of which it has a 365 day return policy.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

alex123711 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm I don't really know what to look for, any recommendations for comfortable bed/ mattresses?
Kluft Mattress
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Sleepingorganic.com

Build your perfect latex 3 or 4 layer, personalized sides mattress.
Topic Author
alex123711

Post by alex123711 »

yatesd wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:56 pm We went 100% latex…too hard to tell the differences between vendors and liked the idea of less chemicals.

Is latex better than normal mattresses?
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

BedInABox.com

Years ago I researched mattresses extensively on the site: https://www.sleeplikethedead.com and found Bed In a Box to be as good if not better than the more expensive brands. Bed in a box is no longer reviewed on that website (maybe due to advertising costs, etc) but they are still my go - to. Quality and great price.
Light weight baby!
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Ours is a SavvyRest organic latex bed. It has 3 latex layers on each side of the king bed. By messing around with layers of different firmnesses, we more or less get each side to meet each other's preferences.

The fire retardant issue has receded since California changed its standard, but it's still worth considering for those who might have concerns about certain chemicals in furniture.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Anyone tried Saatva?
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

nova form from costco.
https://www.costco.com/novaform-14%22-c ... 67300.html

king size $700 can't beat it
goaties

Post by goaties »

(deleted)
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

alex123711 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:07 am
yatesd wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:56 pm We went 100% latex…too hard to tell the differences between vendors and liked the idea of less chemicals.

Most other mattresses are just a mix of foam types, including latex for a mysterious price set by the mattress company. Most of them have off gassing from all the chemicals used during manufacturing. Latex comes from the rubber tree and 100% natural. The only downsides are expense (Spindle was reasonable), and weight. The mattress is heavy so not a good choice if planning to move often.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

alex123711 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:07 am

It’s better in the sense that many latex mattresses are “organic” and aren’t full of man-made materials that “off-gas” during the time you’re laying on it breathing the fumes all night long. Tempupredic style memory foam mattress all fall into this category.

Talalay latex is pure natural rubber, while Dunlop latex is not. Talalay will be more expensive, but not prohibitively so. Also, in order to bypass the federal law regarding fire-resistance, they won’t be sprayed with chemicals. Instead organic cotton with wool batting will be used for the bed top, since it’s naturally fire-resistant.

As far as comfort goes, the layers in a latex mattress can be stacked however the owner wants, in order to get the desired firmness. Reputable sellers will allow at least one exchange of a layer to dial in the perfect sleep.

Sleepez.com is a great resource for educating yourself on the pros and maybe some of the cons of latex sleep systems. If you find yourself interested in latex, the most well known in-store brand is called savvyrest.com if you’d like to find a local retailer to test one out. Some online companies will mail free samples of latex which is a big help.

We’ve been sleeping on a 12” talalay latex mattress on an adjustable frame for years and it’s definitely one of the best decisions we’ve ever made for our personal health. Allergies and back problems are much reduced in our household.

All talalay latex sold in the us is manufactured by talalayglobal.com In Connecticut. You can purchase latex directly from them from the website https://kttenterprises.com/contact-orde ... ation.html which is not very well known at all, since they intentionally do not want to undercut all of the vendors who order from their wholesale business, which is far bigger than their direct to consumer arm. So they do no advertising- it’s word of mouth only, which is what I’m giving you here. If you email them with questions, you’ll get a response from ownership, and nobody knows more about latex than they do. They also sell the cases in all be sizes, so you will have a complete finished mattress once you select your latex layers to zip into it.

Also, talalay can tear easily, especially the softer (comfort) layers, and often Talalay Global will have b-stock sold at a substantial discount. Once the layers are make into a bed, a tear in the latex won’t have any effect on your sleep- it’s purely cosmetic and you’d have to spend 5 minutes trying to find the tear, anyway.

This is one way to build a latex mattress “on a budget”. Two of the four layers in our mattress are b-stock talalay latex and there’s no difference in comfort or quality. Our bottom layer is torn b-stock that was bought from Spindle, but that was a rare purchase so they won’t typically have b-stock to sell. I found theirs on eBay and they were trying hard to disguise who was selling it. The shipping address was the only way I could tell. So, all in all our 12” latex mattress was bought for nearly half of what you see online from the assembled mattress sellers.

Hope this helps.
Being wrong compounds forever.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Does anyone still buy innerspring? I need to replace mine. I have a foam mattereas in my guest room and my significant other has one, not a fan.
DMB41

Post by DMB41 »

Read through these two websites:

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com
https://www.themattressunderground.com

We went with a Tuft & Needle, but as you'll see on those websites, and as you are seeing in this thread, there are a lot of good options and opinions will vary considerably. There is definitely not a single "go-to" brand like there is with many other products.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

digit8 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:59 pm We got a Casper 8 months ago, our first try at memory foam and it’s been fantastic. Just a little hassle getting it set up- ordered by mail and I wound up needing to a mover to help me because our circle of friends is not blessed in the health category. Well worth it though, I don’t see us going back to traditional mattress.
+1
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

It's been about a year since we got the Puffy Lux. My wife and I love it.

However, I noticed they no longer make the Lux the same way. When we purchased it, it was not a hybrid, now I notice you can only get the Lux in hybrid.

Having said that, the original Puffy is still 100% memory foam.

I will never go back to a coil mattress again.

Good Luck.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:46 am Anyone tried Saatva?
Yes, we have one and really like it. In a past thread, there were a number of people who chose a Saatva mattress. Here's the link (there are also other threads on this subject): viewtopic.php?p=5312255#p5312255

My comments back then still apply:

"Agree with using Sleep Like The Dead - https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/. That site was the most independent of any I could find, and I spent a LOT of time researching mattresses. After all the research, it came down to a choice between Saatva and Avocado. Since we have two guest bedrooms, we selected one of each. The Avocado is probably a 7 in terms of firmness, the Saatva is a luxury firm and is probably about a 6 in terms of firmness. People who have slept on both generally prefer the Avocado, probably just for the extra firmness. Our DD purchased an Avocado after sleeping on ours."

For OP: It is very important that you consider what type of sleeper(s) will be using the mattress. A mattress that feels great to a back sleeper may be awful for a stomach sleeper (like me). Same goes for people who sleep on their side.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Helios wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm Purple, simply the best.
+1

After 20 years, we replaced ours with a Purple mattress last fall. Although I can't compare it with other brands, I do like the Purple mattress and hope it stands up over the test of time. I also really like the sheet set that came with it.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

We like SleepNumber, our oldest one is coming up on 15 years old and going strong. I like being able to set the firmness; I find that depending on how my back is doing, I may want the change the mattress setting.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Buy a cheap, firm spring mattress.

Put a quality 3-4" real latex topper on it. Soft if you are a side sleeper. Medium if you are a back sleeper.
chw

Post by chw »

Purple Hybrid with an adjustable base is pretty much perfect
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

It's so hard to Wade through these reviews and know whether they're even legit. Motion isolation (minimize motion) and heat retention (maximize coolness) - memory foam vs latex?
Running Bum

Post by Running Bum »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:46 am Anyone tried Saatva?
Yes. I went from a Sleep Innovations cooling gel memory foam mattress that was 6 years old to a Saatva and I found I've been sleeping better. They have a 6 month no questions asked return policy. I think they may charge $100 and they pick up your mattress and donate it somewhere local. It's a long story that I won't get into, but my main reason for getting the mattress changed and I thought about returning it, but I didn't, which speaks well for the mattress.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Exchme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:54 pm We like SleepNumber, our oldest one is coming up on 15 years old and going strong. I like being able to set the firmness; I find that depending on how my back is doing, I may want the change the mattress setting.
Tried the sleep number bed at a hotel a while back. Liked it a lot.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Exchme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:54 pm We like SleepNumber, our oldest one is coming up on 15 years old and going strong. I like being able to set the firmness; I find that depending on how my back is doing, I may want the change the mattress setting.
Ours seems to slowly leak over about a month, and the only change we ever seem to do is bringing it back up to the number we like. When do you find yourself changing your number?
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Frustrating thread - every brand under the sun!
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:01 pm
Ours seems to slowly leak over about a month, and the only change we ever seem to do is bringing it back up to the number we like. When do you find yourself changing your number?
Sometimes my back acts up and I sleep better with a firmer setting at about 60, though most of the time, I like numbers around 45. DW uses 30.

We have 3 and they've never leaked, sorry to hear you had trouble. I see the new ones with the ability to raise each side up and that looks really cool as I have bad sinuses to match the bad back. I guess if the 15 year old mattress ever dies, I might get that one.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

anonenigma wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:27 pm Frustrating thread - every brand under the sun!
Nah, all that's listed are the expensive ones!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:50 pm
Tried the sleep number bed at a hotel a while back. Liked it a lot.
I’ve had one for about 10 years. It lifts up the head and the foot. Hope it lasts another 10 yrs.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

anonenigma wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:27 pm Frustrating thread - every brand under the sun!
Not so. There are a whole bunch of brands that have not been mentioned.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

We love our Purple hybrid.
edge

Post by edge »

I prefer 100% latex mattresses. I have both talalay and Dunlop. I prefer the Dunlop. It is denser and more firm - making it generally better for back sleeping.
Last edited by edge on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

chazas wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 am Does anyone still buy innerspring? I need to replace mine. I have a foam mattereas in my guest room and my significant other has one, not a fan.
Yes, lots of people do. Just not Bogleheads, for some reason. We have a Serta that we got at Costco, with a latex topper that we got from a local store.

We prefer latex to all the memory foams because it’s spongier. It’s soft and springy, and we don’t sink into it. The memory foam ones feel like sleeping on wet sand. Also, memory foam is hot. I found it unbearable to sleep on, even in cooler weather. Latex doesn’t heat up like that.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

I like the Costco Kirkland S&F mattress.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Sleep Number, hands down, not even close
Casper

Post by Casper »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm Buy a cheap, firm spring mattress.

Put a quality 3-4" real latex topper on it. Soft if you are a side sleeper. Medium if you are a back sleeper.
This is what I was thinking of doing. We have a 15-year old spring mattress we need to replace. On occasion, I've slept on a rock-hard foldout futon in our guest room, with an $80 foam inch topper on top, and it's great.

Any recommendations on a cheap, firm mattress? Or the topper? We bought our cheap one from Target and it's been fine in occasional use, but not sure how it'd hold up to daily sleeping.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Casper wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 am
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm Buy a cheap, firm spring mattress.

This is what I was thinking of doing. We have a 15-year old spring mattress we need to replace. On occasion, I've slept on a rock-hard foldout futon in our guest room, with an $80 foam inch topper on top, and it's great.

Any recommendations on a cheap, firm mattress? Or the topper? We bought our cheap one from Target and it's been fine in occasional use, but not sure how it'd hold up to daily sleeping.
Your local furniture stores should have a selection of basic inner spring mattresses. We have one that has a $199 queen inner spring. I do note as the number of mattresses of foam variety have expanded, there are less and less basic/budget mattresses.

We paid $229 for a 3" organic latex soft topper from Amazon. Put that on our firm inner coil spring mattress from a local mattress factory place. It works quite well. Sleeping Organic has 4" toppers, high quality, but more $$.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Exchme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:43 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:01 pm
Sometimes my back acts up and I sleep better with a firmer setting at about 60, though most of the time, I like numbers around 45. DW uses 30.

We have 3 and they've never leaked, sorry to hear you had trouble. I see the new ones with the ability to raise each side up and that looks really cool as I have bad sinuses to match the bad back. I guess if the 15 year old mattress ever dies, I might get that one.
Our leak is very slow, and the mattress is about 18 years old, would probably buy another :)
squirm

Post by squirm »

I would go to a retailer and try out some mattresses in the store. Also understand that some brands like Casper spent heavily on social media "influences" which IMO is nothing but paid shills for their products.
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

We bought the Sweetnight Breeze 12 Inch King Size Medium Firm, Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress for around $700 on Amazon. We bought it first for a vacation rental and then one for our home. We are happy with it but have not had a chance to compare to others available. We bought the Zinus Van 16 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame with Steel Slat Support / Mattress Foundation on Amazon for $125. We need to buy two more beds for a vacation rental condo in the next 2 weeks. I definitely like the beds in a box as it is much easier to get on the elevator and into the condo.