Snow Boots Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
karpems

Snow Boots Recommendation

Post by karpems »

With winter right around the corner, I am in the market for a new pair of snow boots for daily wear.

Anyone have any recommendations?
bloom2708

Re: Snow Boots Recommendation

Post by bloom2708 »

Columbia Bugaboot III or IV.

Powderhouse is a nice model too.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

What snow boots were you wearing before and why are you looking for new ones? Your opinions might be helpful to some others. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
karpems

Post by karpems »

Didn't have boots last year (just moved to a new State) :-D

Columbia seems like a good option but they are sold out of my size for now. I'm thinking LL Bean might be a good option.

Prices all seem to be over $130 so I wanted to make an educated purchase.

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm What snow boots were you wearing before and why are you looking for new ones? Your opinions might be helpful to some others. :)
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Are they for dress, to & from town, or for playing in the snow?
Topic Author
karpems

Post by karpems »

To and from town, playing with the kids and shoveling during storms.
PoppyA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:30 pm Are they for dress, to & from town, or for playing in the snow?
dbr

Post by dbr »

I like light weight Gore-tex lined hiking boots. https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking

This is not warm for long times and treks outdoors but allows to be worn indoors, for driving the car etc. The tread is good for snow and ice and the height is enough to keep snow from coming in over the top most of the time. Socks are going to be thick enough for good insulation.

Snowmobile boots, hunting boots, etc. would be a different choice for deeper snow, long times, etc.

I had (still have) a set of high altitude mountaineering boots with felt liners for that activity but those would not be practical in most places.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

What kind of snow or slush will you be walking thru?

LLBean and Land's End sell boots that work really well keeping my feet warm and dry - I reapply waterproofing to them every year (I get about 3 years of wear out of mine) and they keep my feet dry on the 1 mile walk to work - even if I have to navigate thru some ankle deep "puddles" of slop when crossing streets. I wouldn't want to STAND in "slushy watery" slop for any length of time in my boots - but for a quick crossings they work fine. I wear out down the heels and eventually the waterproofing just fails - that's why I replace my "walk to work boots" every 3 years (they then become my "shovel snow" boots - cause I'm not getting wet. They might also become my "going grocery shopping boots" if it's snowy but not "sloppy". :)

I have cute Red boots and Blue boots.

Also Hotter makes nice boots good for packed down snow/cold days that transition nicely to the office or indoors.
ErRyTour

Post by ErRyTour »

Check out Baffin. They have boots from city use all the way to polar expeditions.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Can you be more specific? We've got boots for going to the store, kind of dress boots, and boots for being out in the snow. For the latter I get Sorel's or Kamik's. The dress boots would be more of a personal style choice, maybe something like Uggs, although Sorel and Kamik make some that look pretty good for walking around town.
Regards | Bob
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

I have a pair of LLBean Wildcat snow boots. I dont see this style on their web site this year. I would recommend LLBean boots. I have been happy with mine. They are warm and waterproof. I use them for shoveling snow, and general winter wear when the weather calls for them to get around in the slush and slop. They ran close to size, and maybe a touch larger. I'm able to put on a heavy winter sock and not feel cramped.

They are similar to the Storm chaser boots https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123336? ... p=a&pos=47.
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

My "yard slippers" are from the Muck Boot Company. I have the 16" Chore boots and the Arctic Sport Tall. No laces so they are quick to get on and off.
wcinnn

Post by wcinnn »

Lifetime Midwestern here, snow and ice have been part of my life. Last year in the middle of COVID but needing/wanting to get out for an exercise walk each day I "found" Icebugs. Previously I used metal grips that were put over boots but these are far superior! There are many excuses to not take a walk but the concern with falling is not one with these. Made in Finland by people who know how to deal with ice. Pricey but so worth it.
A2_MI

Post by A2_MI »

Welcome to the snowy climate. I’ve been a resident of Michigan for more than 30 years (notice my user name). I’m a big fan of Ecco winter boots. Comfortable, durable, warm, dry. A little pricy but I’ve had some that lasted 10 winters.
ram

Post by ram »

From Wisconsin.
I use Sorel natural rubber shoes, made in Canada. Have been using them for >5 yrs but mostly I walk about 200 yards twice a day from the parking lot to my office bldg only.
Something like these. Adequate for my need. Good to walk thru puddles. They are not "good looking". Good enough in -20 degrees for this short walk.
https://www.sorel.com/p/mens-1964-pac-n ... =365&pos=3

Excellent for inside the house. Good enough to walk to the mailbox if <1" snow. Ugg tasman slippers
https://www.ugg.com/men-slippers/tasman ... pb27ZIWh0d
Ram
Candor

Post by Candor »

Danner has good quality winter boots and they are currently having a 20% off sale.

https://www.danner.com/
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

My son has a pair of Sorel Caribou boots and raves about them.

Both my wife and my D-I-L are naturally thrifty, so I told them to keep an eye out for a pair for me when they shopped garage sales and thrift shops during the summer. To my amazement, my D-I-L spotted a like-new pair in my size at a thrift shop. They retail for $180; I got them for $20. :happy
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

karpems wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:32 pm To and from town, playing with the kids and shoveling during storms.
PoppyA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:30 pm Are they for dress, to & from town, or for playing in the snow?
For this you really don’t need snow boots. Any ankle height boot would be fine. If your out several hours in sub zero, then insulated or wool socks would be nice. If your snow shoeing in Northern Minnesota then get some Sorels.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Another vote for LL Bean.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Do you have a brand of casual or athletic shoe that fits you well? If so, you might want to see if that brand sells a boot.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:56 pm Columbia Bugaboot III or IV.

I have Bugaboot IIIs which I snowshoe in A LOT, sometimes a few hundred miles in a season. In 4yrs I have zero issues, they stay dry and keep your feet warm. I can't imagine a snow boot being "better" in some regard. Also, Columbia has outlets everywhere, mine were $45 on sale.
dbr

Post by dbr »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:15 am
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:56 pm Columbia Bugaboot III or IV.

I have Bugaboot IIIs which I snowshoe in A LOT, sometimes a few hundred miles in a season. In 4yrs I have zero issues, they stay dry and keep your feet warm. I can't imagine a snow boot being "better" in some regard. Also, Columbia has outlets everywhere, mine were $45 on sale.
I would think that kind of boot is excellent for tromping extensively in snow.

I would not see that boot for urban wear in and out of buildings, driving a car, just walking on sidewalks, or riding a bicycle in winter, etc. So the person asking wants to consider where they are going and what they are doing. That boot would not work as a ski boot either, but for snowshoeing is good.

That is why I use a light weight hiking boot in winter, but I would not count on a light weight hiking boot for serious travel in deep snow.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I bought these from Costco recently:

https://www.costco.com/jbu-ladies'-bell ... 55191.html

I like them so far because I can slip them on/off quickly. Not sure how warm they are going to be for longer outings but it's good enough for errands and walking the dogs in the cold so far. I have snowshoes and will try them for that and report back.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Pinenut

Post by Pinenut »

Maine checking in…I dislike new LL Bean products, their manufacturing has gone downhill. Their wading boots fell apart in a few months. The duck boots are very slippery, although they do look good.

Have a pair of discontinued North Face boots I use when I’m walking in the woods/snowshoeing or icy conditions with MicroSpikes.

All other winter weather wearing are Blundstones! Resisted for so long since everyone has them but I’ve seen the light. They are awesome, warm and waterproof. Wish I had bought them years ago. I got the “thermal” ones, basically a wool insole. Still can be slippery but for a casual boot they’re good enough

https://www.blundstone.com/black-premiu ... -style-566
"You rarely have time for everything you want in this life, so you need to make choices. Hopefully your choices can come from a deep sense of who you are" - Fred Rogers