Please recommend a 34" or 38" inch Ultrawide monitor primarily for spreadsheet use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lou Sevens

Please recommend a 34" or 38" inch Ultrawide monitor primarily for spreadsheet use

Post by Lou Sevens »

Hello, like many others I have been WFH primarily the last 18 months. Last day in the office I grabbed a ethernet cable and HDMI cable- two best decisions I made as I am directly wired to my network, and get a sharper image vs what seemed to be either VGA or DVI adaptor to displayport which is what some people seem to be using.

I am looking at getting a 34" inch ultrawide as opposed to having a dual monitor setup due to space issues. Could someone recommend one- is it better to have flat vs curved - will be primarily using Excel and might be keeping one window on left side, vs centered.

I am a long time Viewsonic user and am considering a VA3456- it is flat vs. curved and a IPS vs. VA screen. I am about 30" in front of monitor currently, and have my keyboard on a TV tray so it is more comfortable, and not shaking the desk with the monitor.

I am looking at a 38" as well , but not sure if that would be too much (the viewable would actually be 37.5" vs. 34.1" - not drastic enough for the severe price increase).

We had beforehand 2 18" or so monitors- I immediately ordered a 27" one and have been fine working on it as due to the HDMI cable the text is really sharp and when I need to I can resize windows.

*Note I am not using a dual setup as my docking station has one HDMI input, (I could use a second 27" and go HDMI to displayport, but I would need a wider table , and extension chord for the monitor etc..- seems less of a hassle to go with an ultrawide).

Thanks in advance for your replies,
mhc

Re: Please recommend a 34" or 38" inch Ultrawide monitor primarily for spreadsheet use

Post by mhc »

ultrawides are nice but expensive. I decided to go with a 43" 4k TV mounted on a floor stand. It takes up no desk space and provides a lot of screen space. A TV is a lot cheaper. Make sure it has 4:4:4 chroma.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

That site also rates best TVs to use as computer monitors.

I also have a 27" 2.5K monitor on the side. I had to get an upgraded dock to support both.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
MathWizard

Re: Please recommend a 34" or 38" inch Ultrawide monitor primarily for spreadsheet use

Post by MathWizard »

I'm buying my staff Dell 34" ultra wide monitors with a USB dock built in . I'm also buying MacBooks for most of them.

Most are remote, but the company may go to hybrid and this way they can just transport a laptop a single USB connection between monitor and laptop provides video, data and power connection.

We will have "hoteling" space for hybrid staff which will have USB monitors as well so hybrid works just reserve a spot

These monitors at a bit over $700.

Having my staff be just 1% more efficient will more than pay for the laptops and monitors.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

MathWizard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:10 am I'm buying my staff Dell 34" ultra wide monitors with a USB dock built in . I'm also buying MacBooks for most of them.

Most are remote, but the company may go to hybrid and this way they can just transport a laptop a single USB connection between monitor and laptop provides video, data and power connection.

We will have "hoteling" space for hybrid staff which will have USB monitors as well so hybrid works just reserve a spot

These monitors at a bit over $700.

Having my staff be just 1% more efficient will more than pay for the laptops and monitors.
Those are the monitors that they had at the last FAANG I worked at. No other monitor has ever held a candle to that one. After I quit the job, I spent six months searching for one on sale, and finally lucked into one on Amazon for about $450.

They will bury me with that monitor.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I have an LG 34” IPS curved ultra wide that has been indispensable in the pandemic. It’s fantastic for Excel or simply having two windows next to each other. It’s hard to explain but it feels superior to a multimonitor setup. I bought a cheap mount that clamps to the back of my desk so I’m not taking up any desk space either.

I have colleagues working from home 100% who are still using their laptop screens and built in keyboards and I just…. Can’t imagine doing that for this long.

Get any LG, Samsung, or Dell monitor (IPS display) that you can find on sale with good reviews and the right ports. Curved costs more but I think it adds value without doubt.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Costco has an LG 35" ultra wide for sale $350 right now. 100hz refresh, VA panel, 3440 x 1440.

Costco LG ultrawide
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I just bought the new HP x34 from BestBuy for $400. It’s a no frills 34” 3440x1440 IPS monitor. Love it so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-34-ips- ... Id=6483571
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Rex66 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm When it goes back on sale

https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-u ... 82248.html
Just to be clear for all, this is not an ultrawide monitor.
djheini

Post by djheini »

I have always been a fan of the Dell Ultrasharp monitors. Last fall I got the Dell Ultrasharp 34 Curved USB-C Monitor - U3419W and have been happy with it. It lets me connect my work macbook with a single cable that provides power+keyboard+mouse+video, and will auto-switch everything to my desktop tower (if it's on) when I unplug my laptop.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

I would recommend a 4k IPS panel as this will make text look very sharp and more comfortable to read, you will likely notice a big improvement over your existing older displays, especially if they were not IPS panels.

I don't like the ultra-wide ratio format, personally, but to each their own.

I have the Dell Ultrasharp U4320Q which is 43" and 16:9, 4k IPS. It's really great, massive, and only $799
This content is for entertainment purposes only
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... rd=Monitor

1) The best deal is in the 32"/34" range.

2) Buy it from Costco. No restocking fee for return.

3) Buy it when you get the $300 discount.

I bought this 32" monitor when it was on sale for $150 off. Normally, it will be on sale every few months.

https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-u ... 82248.html

I bought this and return it. It was not bright enough for me. Aka, the contrast is not good enough for me.

https://www.costco.com/lg-35%22-class-u ... 95387.html

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Typ997S

Post by Typ997S »

I've been quite happy with the Samsung 32" (Model LU32R591CWNXZA) currently on sale for $349.99 at Costco. It's 4K, with a VA panel...I am happy with image quality for primarily web browsing and spreadsheet use. One thing to be aware of is mounting - you can only use the stand that comes with it.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

I have two 27" 2560x1440 monitors on a 32" wide desk. How? They are supported by dual monitor arms and one of them hangs over the side of the desk.

The silver monitor (Lenovo L27q-20) does not even have a VESA mount, so I used one of these stick-on VESA mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/TANGLAIQU-high-S ... 094MYP7W7/

I usually have up to 4 windows side by side for web browsers, documents, spreadsheets, etc. I also play Flight Sim in 3840 x 1080 ultra wide view.

Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I would not get curved for spreadsheets, it feels really weird.

I tried a 34 curved and the curved was amazing for video games/movies, but horrible for spreadsheets, documents, etc.
I returned it and got a 34 flat instead, and am very happy with it. Not quite as good for video games/movies, but way better for everything else.
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

I have gone steadily bigger with the Dell UltraSharp curved monitors since they first came out and will never go back. I’ve found the 38” to be the best size for me - anything bigger is too big.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Patzer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:01 pm I would not get curved for spreadsheets, it feels really weird.

I tried a 34 curved and the curved was amazing for video games/movies, but horrible for spreadsheets, documents, etc.
I returned it and got a 34 flat instead, and am very happy with it. Not quite as good for video games/movies, but way better for everything else.
Monitors like the Dell have such a large radius of curvature that you don't get bothered. I have had a Dell 3419 for about 5 years now and have done everything from gaming, docs, spreadsheets, CAD, etc. Great monitors.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Dell has been my go-to for years because they were reliably high quality panels at a reasonable price. The rest of the world appears to agree as well though as they have been largely out of stock (at inflated prices) for the last year or so. That led me to searching alternatives, and the LG ultra fine series are also excellent and generally more available. You might try this model https://www.adorama.com/lot34wn750b.html.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

onourway wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:46 am Dell has been my go-to for years because they were reliably high quality panels at a reasonable price. The rest of the world appears to agree as well though as they have been largely out of stock (at inflated prices) for the last year or so. That led me to searching alternatives, and the LG ultra fine series are also excellent and generally more available. You might try this model https://www.adorama.com/lot34wn750b.html.
https://www.costco.com/lg-34%22-class-u ... 71108.html

It is cheaper at Costco.com and normally it goes on sale every few months.

It is not bright enough for me (300cd/240cd) and the contrast (1000 or lower ) is too low for me. It may not matters for others.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
j9j

Post by j9j »

nimo956 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:07 pm I just bought the new HP x34 from BestBuy for $400. It’s a no frills 34” 3440x1440 IPS monitor. Love it so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-34-ips- ... Id=6483571
I am a big fan of Dell ultrasharps but this HP looks like a very nice alternative for a good price. Only two minor cons I see are no USBC connection and not curved(although some might prefer this). The high refresh IPS panel is a huge plus in my opinion.
onourway

Post by onourway »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 am
onourway wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:46 am Dell has been my go-to for years because they were reliably high quality panels at a reasonable price. The rest of the world appears to agree as well though as they have been largely out of stock (at inflated prices) for the last year or so. That led me to searching alternatives, and the LG ultra fine series are also excellent and generally more available. You might try this model https://www.adorama.com/lot34wn750b.html.
https://www.costco.com/lg-34%22-class-u ... 71108.html

It is cheaper at Costco.com and normally it goes on sale every few months.

It is not bright enough for me (300cd/240cd) and the contrast (1000 or lower ) is too low for me. It may not matters for others.

KlangFool
Not quite the same panel, although very similar and I'm not entirely clear on the differences, although the comparison sites seem to rate the WN model at 300cd vs. 250cd for the WL. https://www.displaydb.com/compare/lg-34 ... -34wl750-b

I agree it's not overly bright - however I found it suitable enough as color accuracy does not require high brightness (which I also find fatiguing). I ended up returning the monitor for other reasons - however, even in my extremely brightly lit office it was easily usable at 100% in part because it has the best matte anti-glare I've ever seen. The monitor I replaced it with is better in every way (at a significant price hike) - except the anti-glare is not quite as good.
Topic Author
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Patzer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:01 pm I would not get curved for spreadsheets, it feels really weird.

Hello Patzer, could you please let me know which flat one you purchased?

Thank you everyone for your replies; I have been scouring the various sites for them. I am leaning towards at the moment a Viewsonic VA3456 (IPS) vs. a Viewsonic VG3448 (MVA). Although I have been using an IPS (VA2758-not widescreen) the 3448 has a stand that clicks into the monitor like some of the Dells.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

Lou Sevens wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 pm Hello Patzer, could you please let me know which flat one you purchased?
The one I got is not in stock anywhere, so I am afraid that wouldn't help you. Really just wanted to weigh in on the flat vs curved aspect.
I do have some Viewsonic monitors (not my 34), and I am happy with them, and both of the ones you are thinking about seem like nice monitors.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mary1492 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm Most of the recommendations are overkill if "primarily for spreadsheet use" is the objective.

As at least one reply suggested - just get a TV (monitor). You can easily find 32" to 43" for under $200 with current sales. Or maybe you have one in your home that you were thinking about upgrading, and could use it as the new monitor?

My monitor is a repurposed 37" JVC LCD TV that we were going to get rid of. Though my 24", and then 27" Dell monitors were wonderful, the 37" TV screen is incredible, even if not technically as good. Wall mounted it in front of my desk, and it takes up no space at all.
mary1492,

I disagreed. The question here would be how big the spreadsheet that OP is working on. As per my understanding, you do not get more pixels/resolution with the large screen TV.

My 32" monitor has 3840 x 2160 Resolution. I can display very large spreadsheet. That is not possible with a 37" LCD TV. My 42" TV has a resolution of 1920 X 1080. It is half of my 32" monitor.

KlangFool
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

M company sent me the 34inch Dell one - set it up, and within 10 minutes I repacked it in the box and went back to my dual monitor setup.

Hated everything about it - spreadsheets looked weird, the Zoom meeting feels like it looked weird....just yuck.

There's nothing wrong with my dual monitor setup, so no reason to change. Figured I'd chime in because it's possible you may have the same reaction as me.

I've even tried to offload it to some of my friends, neighbors, and nextdoor - no takers!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mary1492 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:32 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 pm
mary1492 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm Most of the recommendations are overkill if "primarily for spreadsheet use" is the objective.

As at least one reply suggested - just get a TV (monitor). You can easily find 32" to 43" for under $200 with current sales. Or maybe you have one in your home that you were thinking about upgrading, and could use it as the new monitor?

My monitor is a repurposed 37" JVC LCD TV that we were going to get rid of. Though my 24", and then 27" Dell monitors were wonderful, the 37" TV screen is incredible, even if not technically as good. Wall mounted it in front of my desk, and it takes up no space at all.
mary1492,

I disagreed. The question here would be how big the spreadsheet that OP is working on. As per my understanding, you do not get more pixels/resolution with the large screen TV.

My 32" monitor has 3840 x 2160 Resolution. I can display very large spreadsheet. That is not possible with a 37" LCD TV. My 42" TV has a resolution of 1920 X 1080. It is half of my 32" monitor.

KlangFool
More pixels in less space simply means you'll either be squinting to see data, or be zooming in and enlarging - thereby seeing less of it at one time.
But, even at 150% enlargement, you still get more space to see a bigger spreadsheet.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm M company sent me the 34inch Dell one - set it up, and within 10 minutes I repacked it in the box and went back to my dual monitor setup.

Hated everything about it - spreadsheets looked weird, the Zoom meeting feels like it looked weird....just yuck.

There's nothing wrong with my dual monitor setup, so no reason to change. Figured I'd chime in because it's possible you may have the same reaction as me.

I've even tried to offload it to some of my friends, neighbors, and nextdoor - no takers!
MBB_Boy,

Please provide the screen sizes of your dual monitor setup.

FYI. I have a dual monitor setup with 32"/34" monitors.

KlangFool
riverant

Post by riverant »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:54 pm
MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm M company sent me the 34inch Dell one - set it up, and within 10 minutes I repacked it in the box and went back to my dual monitor setup.

MBB_Boy,

KlangFool

Man, I’m feeling inadequate with my dual 27s.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

MBB_Boy,

KlangFool
I have two 27 inch monitors
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 pm

MBB_Boy,

KlangFool
Thanks.

And, is there a reason why you would not replace one of the 27" with the 34'?

I am not questioning your respond. I just would like to get a complete picture.

My laptop has dual usb-C ports.

USB-C one -> USB- docking station -> HDMI -> 34" monitor
USB-C two -> 32" monitor

I am running my business laptop with 3 monitors

Laptop internal for email.

32" -> Video conferencing
34" -> doing work while video conferencing.

KlangFool
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

That's really odd. Over the course of the pandemic I've seen people successfully giving away ancient 17 and 19" monitors with nothing but a VGA plug. We don't have Next Door, but a 34" ultra wide on Buy Nothing would have gone in a heartbeat.

I really wonder if it was setup right with a 25:9 resolution because it should look just like any other monitor, only wider. Spreadsheets are the killer app for those monitors - going out to 50 or more columns at once without a break between screens is amazing and you don't have the issue of head tilt like you would with a 16:9 screen of the same width.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TJat wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:57 pm

MBB_Boy,

KlangFool

Man, I’m feeling inadequate with my dual 27s.
TJat,

Don't worry. I am too cheap to buy the 49"/46" monitors. I feel inadequate looking those 46"/49" monitor. They are a lot more expensive than my 32" + 34"

I only buy the 34" and 32" monitor when they are on sale at $150/$300 off.

KlangFool
Topic Author
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

[/quote]

That's really odd. Over the course of the pandemic I've seen people successfully giving away ancient 17 and 19" monitors with nothing but a VGA plug.
I really wonder if it was setup right with a 25:9 resolution because it should look just like any other monitor, only wider. Spreadsheets are the killer app for those monitors - going out to 50 or more columns at once without a break between screens is amazing and you don't have the issue of head tilt like you would with a 16:9 screen of the same width.
[/quote]

Our prior setup was a pair of 17"' or 18" with a VGA plug to display port adapter- which didn't look sharp or good. I hope people are not using them still.

When the pandemic hit I ordered a 39" long table and the 27" monitor. I have been fine with the one so far as it is quick for me to change windows and my display is sharp due to the HDMI connection. - at first we had those mobile desktops but then got laptops and docking stations.

The docking station has a HDMI input and 2 Display ports- the 27" only has HDMI- so even if I used the backup 27" I have I would need a HDMI/displayport adaptor- and a extension chord.
Hence, I'd rather have something 21:9 with the 3440x1440 resolution which I could when I want have 2 pages up at the same time, even 2 different spreadsheets.

Its interesting- because looking back I could second guess myself- but we were hearing stay at home for 2 weeks, "experts" and "flattening the curve"- terms that make me cringe.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:03 pm
MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 pm
MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm
Thanks.

And, is there a reason why you would not replace one of the 27" with the 34'?

I am not questioning your respond. I just would like to get a complete picture.

My laptop has dual usb-C ports.

USB-C one -> USB- docking station -> HDMI -> 34" monitor
USB-C two -> 32" monitor

I am running my business laptop with 3 monitors

Laptop internal for email.

32" -> Video conferencing
34" -> doing work while video conferencing.

KlangFool
I thought about that - I use the two monitors + laptop on a stand currently.

When I tried the curved ultrawide, I DID keep a side monitor set up. I just didn't like the ultrawide - at all
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:05 pm

That's really odd. Over the course of the pandemic I've seen people successfully giving away ancient 17 and 19" monitors with nothing but a VGA plug. We don't have Next Door, but a 34" ultra wide on Buy Nothing would have gone in a heartbeat.

Offload in this case means at a heavily discounted price - $150
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

The Costco 4K I noted above on sale today only
Topic Author
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Hello everyone thank you for all of your replies; I went this morning with a Viewsonic VA3456, is it was on sale post black friday and post Cyber monday for $330 vs. $460. It is an IPS 3440x1440; I will get 8 more horizontal inches to the right so it will allow me to open up 2 pages comfortably.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

That's how feel. I kind of like having two separate workstation displays. I could probably even just get by with one large monitor, and a smaller screen that has email or chat open. Kind of like I used to have with a laptop and large monitor.