WSJ subscription rate is negotiable

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

WSJ subscription rate is negotiable

Post by catdude »

Hi Bogleheads -

A year ago I signed up for the Wall Street Journal's special subscription rate of $4 a month for a year. My rate was scheduled to jump up to $38 a month later this week, so I called them today to cancel my subscription. I told their CSR that I'd stay as a subscriber if I could continue to get the $4/month rate. After some negotiation, they offered me that rate for another six months. After that, it'll be $19 a month for one year, then $38 a month thereafter. I accepted their offer.

So their subscription prices are negotiable. The only unfortunate thing is that you have to call them to cancel and/or negotiate ... you can't do it online or via chat... So there's the PITA (pain in the anatomy) factor. I'm not sure I'm going to want to call them every six months to get the $4 rate. We'll see, I guess. Anyway, their phone numbers are 800-568-7625 and 609-627-1351, for those who are interested...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Ramjet

Re: WSJ subscription rate is negotiable

Post by Ramjet »

Good to know as I just recently took advantage of that $4 a month Black Friday deal for one year. Silly question. What is preventing someone from taking the $4 a month Black Friday deal and then canceling next year in October and then signing up for the Black Friday special again in November?
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Love your profile picture btw!
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I called in this month to cancel after my 4/month was due to expire. They offered me 19/month. I said cancel please. Then he said he could now offer me 4/month for 6 months. I said OK. So my plan is to continue as long as it stays at $4.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Ramjet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 pm Good to know as I just recently took advantage of that $4 a month Black Friday deal for one year. Silly question. What is preventing someone from taking the $4 a month Black Friday deal and then canceling next year in October and then signing up for the Black Friday special again in November?
I dunno, it probably depends on how carefully the WSJ tracks their subscriptions...
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Ramjet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:58 pm Love your profile picture btw!
Thanks! When that cat was just a kitten, one night she hopped up on my shoulder, then decided to check the view from the top of my head. Fortunately my phone was close by, so I grabbed it and took a selfie... and the rest, as they say, is history...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

catdude wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Ramjet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 pm Good to know as I just recently took advantage of that $4 a month Black Friday deal for one year. Silly question. What is preventing someone from taking the $4 a month Black Friday deal and then canceling next year in October and then signing up for the Black Friday special again in November?
I dunno, it probably depends on how carefully the WSJ tracks their subscriptions...
Maybe next year you can get Mrs Catdude to sign up for the special offer. :D

Then switch back again in 2023.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

For starters, the fact that you must call in to cancel and can't do it online. That alone will keep a large number of people paying whatever rate it jumps to.
NewRain

Post by NewRain »

About a year ago I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal for the $4/month rate. Last month I received an email saying my WSJ subscription would soon be renewing at $38.99/month. I called to cancel but was hoping to negotiate a lower rate. They offered a rate around $20 (don’t remember the exact amount) and would not go lower, so I canceled the subscription.

This morning I could not log on to wsj.com because my subscription finally expired. The wsj.com web site offered to renew my subscription for the $4 Black Friday deal. I accepted the offer and can again log on to wsj.com

So, I guess a WSJ subscription is sometimes negotiable and sometimes not so much.

PS — I had been paying $17/month for the New York Times. Last month I went online to nytimes.com, selected cancel, an online prompt asked why, I responded “too expensive,” and was offered a rate of $4/4 weeks for a year, which I accepted. No calling required.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Without haggling, one can pay $10/mon for Apple News and get WSJ, and lots more. Some regional newspapers, and many magazines. Crazy anyone pays full price for WSJ.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

I receive only the weekend edition, for which I don't think there is any discount.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

catdude wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm Hi Bogleheads -

A year ago I signed up for the Wall Street Journal's special subscription rate of $4 a month for a year. My rate was scheduled to jump up to $38 a month later this week, so I called them today to cancel my subscription. I told their CSR that I'd stay as a subscriber if I could continue to get the $4/month rate. After some negotiation, they offered me that rate for another six months. After that, it'll be $19 a month for one year, then $38 a month thereafter. I accepted their offer.

So their subscription prices are negotiable. The only unfortunate thing is that you have to call them to cancel and/or negotiate ... you can't do it online or via chat... So there's the PITA (pain in the anatomy) factor. I'm not sure I'm going to want to call them every six months to get the $4 rate. We'll see, I guess. Anyway, their phone numbers are 800-568-7625 and 609-627-1351, for those who are interested...
Thanks!! My subscription was slated to go up next month and I’d planned to call them anyway, but it’s nice to know what their “negotiating strategy” will be.
Dvorak212

Post by Dvorak212 »

Same here. I had a $4/mo for 1 year deal and it was just going to go up this month. I called to cancel and they offered a $19/month deal. Told them to cancel anyway, and rep told me that when they clicked cancel it gave them the $4/mo deal for 6 months. Told him I’d take it. Last time I got an email when rate was going to go up so I’ll just call in again in 6 months and cancel or see what they offer. Also saw recently FTC trying to end click to subscribe/call to cancel. Wonder how that’ll affect WSJ subscriptions going forward.

https://boingboing.net/2021/11/17/ftc-s ... l.html/amp
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Dvorak212 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:49 pm Same here. I had a $4/mo for 1 year deal and it was just going to go up this month. I called to cancel and they offered a $19/month deal. Told them to cancel anyway, and rep told me that when they clicked cancel it gave them the $4/mo deal for 6 months. Told him I’d take it. Last time I got an email when rate was going to go up so I’ll just call in again in 6 months and cancel or see what they offer. Also saw recently FTC trying to end click to subscribe/call to cancel. Wonder how that’ll affect WSJ subscriptions going forward.

https://boingboing.net/2021/11/17/ftc-s ... l.html/amp
Good for the FTC! I wish them well in taking this action. It irritates me that I had to call the WSJ to cancel/negotiate.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Got the reduced rate by telling CSR that I’m a retiree on a fixed income. The CSR made no mention of the $19 rate being temporary. We shall see.
JWooden10

Post by JWooden10 »

Without haggling, one can pay $10/mon for Apple News and get WSJ, and lots more. Some regional newspapers, and many magazines. Crazy anyone pays full price for WSJ
I wondered about that. Seems like the way to go once you cannot get new subscriber rate or the additional publications are worth the difference to you.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

mikejuss wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 pm I receive only the weekend edition, for which I don't think there is any discount.
I am paying $4/month for the digital edition + Saturday print edition.

Previously I had a full print and digital I had bought off ebay. When it ran out, they offered me a year @ $9.99/month. I kept that rate for a few months, but cancelled as I just couldn't work thru a print edition six days a week (+ digital), along with my other reading materials.

I found a new subscription deal of $4/month with digital + Saturday print so I bought it for my daughter, thinking I could talk her into giving me the print copy. But she took a liking to it, so that was out.

After hoping to get the same deal I got for her, I tried various times to see if it would be available. No luck.

Finally, I gave up, and signed on to the digital only $4/per month offer. After my payment processed, up popped a screen asking me if I wanted the Saturday print edition thrown in free. Yep, sure did.

The statements I have read about having to call in to cancel shouldn't deter anyone. When I call WSJ, there is little wait time, if any.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

beyou wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 pm Without haggling, one can pay $10/mon for Apple News and get WSJ, and lots more. Some regional newspapers, and many magazines. Crazy anyone pays full price for WSJ.
With Apple news, does one get access to the entire publication, or do you just get selections from the various publications?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
beyou

Post by beyou »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am
beyou wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 pm Without haggling, one can pay $10/mon for Apple News and get WSJ, and lots more. Some regional newspapers, and many magazines. Crazy anyone pays full price for WSJ.
With Apple news, does one get access to the entire publication, or do you just get selections from the various publications?

Broken Man 1999
Apple News is a very different way to read “the news”.
It allows you to easily search and/or monitor daily news on topics of interest across many sources, WSJ being one of many (also M*, Kiplinger, Business Insider, Bloomberg etc).
If you simply want to read a single periodical cover to cover and be sure of seeing all of today’s content, this is NOT the right way to buy. I think many including WSJ are curated to highlight specific articles, but you can search for any topic and find. So I filter “personal finance” and other topics and see whatever may be relevant in any periodical.

I can go to Libby and read many of same magazines for free, but cover to cover, one issue at a time, limited search or topic filtering. But no free wsj that I know of.
I tried reading magazines free on Libby and not my preferred method to read cover to cover any specific periodical.
Broken Man 1999

beyou wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:24 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am

Broken Man 1999
Apple News is a very different way to read “the news”.
It allows you to easily search and/or monitor daily news on topics of interest across many sources, WSJ being one of many (also M*, Kiplinger, Business Insider, Bloomberg etc).
If you simply want to read a single periodical cover to cover and be sure of seeing all of today’s content, this is NOT the right way to buy. I think many including WSJ are curated to highlight specific articles, but you can search for any topic and find. So I filter “personal finance” and other topics and see whatever may be relevant in any periodical.

I can go to Libby and read many of same magazines for free, but cover to cover, one issue at a time, limited search or topic filtering. But no free wsj that I know of.
I tried reading magazines free on Libby and not my preferred method to read cover to cover any specific periodical.
Thanks!

I might give Apple News a try when some of my magazine subscriptions need to be renewed, though I am paying ridiculously low rates for them. There are other mags I like, but not enough to subscribe to them.

Broken Man 1999
MechEngOSU

Post by MechEngOSU »

Well, I've just confirmed what I've always known....that I'm a terrible negotiator. I'm on month 12 of the $4 deal and the rep I talked today did not give me the extended 6 month option at $4. The lowest I got was $19. I may check out the Apple news route that was discussed earlier.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

MechEngOSU wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 am Well, I've just confirmed what I've always known....that I'm a terrible negotiator. I'm on month 12 of the $4 deal and the rep I talked today did not give me the extended 6 month option at $4. The lowest I got was $19. I may check out the Apple news route that was discussed earlier.
just cancel it and sign up for another $4 deal in a few weeks or a month.
airborne

Post by airborne »

Escapevelocity wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:34 pm
MechEngOSU wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 am Well, I've just confirmed what I've always known....that I'm a terrible negotiator. I'm on month 12 of the $4 deal and the rep I talked today did not give me the extended 6 month option at $4. The lowest I got was $19. I may check out the Apple news route that was discussed earlier.
How often do these promotions occur? My subscription expires in July and I'd rather reset a little early than go a month or two without a subscription.
BL

Post by BL »

I also renewed for $4, but they also cancelled current one which had a month left.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Escapevelocity wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:34 pm
Yep. This was what I did. I cancelled, rather irritated I had to do a phone call. But then I got a $4 offer within days, and figured I'd just go with it again. Made a note on my calendar for next year to cancel yet again.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Thanks for the reminder! I called to cancel.

I actually wanted to cancel completely. Although I've always enjoyed reading the WSJ, I really intended to just keep it for a year.

Therefore I said no to all their offers.

Some notes:

You can't cancel without calling them. They don't give you an online or chat way of cancelling.

Their $4 for 6 months is their final offer before they let you cancel completely.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I wanted to thank you again. My subscription was due to increase to $40 monthly 12/4. I called yesterday and told them to cancel, got the $4 for six months, said no, then got the $19.99 for an additional 12 after the six months at $4. I asked if my Saturday print edition would continue and they said yes. We'll see. I'm not 100% sure mostly due to the connection and it sounded like it was a non-US customer service agent, so there could have been some communication issues. I really like reading the actual Saturday print edition so am going to follow up if it doesn't continue. I've read here that you can get everything WSJ via the Apple News app, but I like my current online experience with the WSJ app plus I can just read the full print version online if that's what I want. I may just upgrade my Apple bundle to include the News sometime in the next six months to be able to compare. I already have Apple Music and Apple TV so the upgrade is less than buying Apple News alone.

So, thanks again from a fellow BH. It was helpful knowing what you experienced before making my call to them.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

I've been getting the WSJ for probably close to 30 years. A few years ago a fellow BH posted a thread about a subscription via Ebay for something like $100.00 for one/yr. It included both print and online.....so I signed up. I got if for the first year, then just let it ride. Funny thing, it renewed directly from WSJ for $9.99/mo. Just recently, got a notice that it will increase to $12.99/mo.....both print and online. I rarely us the online version....much prefer the hardcopy.....but every once in-a-while the PO will miss delivery so then I'll go to the online version.... :sharebeer
ndomorph

Post by ndomorph »

Today the cyber Monday sale rate:

$4/mo for 1 yr for WSJ digital,
or $6/mo for 1 year for digital WSJ/Barrons/Marketwatch bundle
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Well I tried but was unsuccessful, got them down from my current long term rate of ~40 per month to ~30 per month for just 6 months, threatened to cancel politely, they went to ~20 per month for 6 months…This was not what I was after so I cancelled.

I am planning on becoming a “new customer” after my current subscription runs out in a few weeks, will use a new email and new credit card and wife’s name…hoping for success, would love the 4 per month rate, I will report back….
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
beyou

Post by beyou »

Note the Apple News+ route also avoids the phone calls.
Can cancel in seconds on your phone anytime.
Sometimes if busy, I cancel then reinstate later when I have more time, similar to streaming services.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

My renewal was two months ago in September. They offered $4/month for another year without hassle. Sounds like they are tightening up on their offer.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

I get free access to the Wall Street Journal (and a variety of other publications) via Proquest and my local public library.
Many libraries provide this services to their patrons. You must login to your library website using your library card number, and then navigate to the Proquest service. With few exceptions, the current issue of WSJ is ready for viewing early each morning. Check with your library for availability.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I did the same thing this past weekend. I got to keep the $4 rate for six months too. I have a bill reminder in Quicken so that I do not forget. Quicken reminded me that the absurd $38 per month charge would have hit on December 1.

For those who truly want to cancel, having to call is really annoying.

[list[/list]

Bungo

Post by Bungo »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 pm For those who truly want to cancel, having to call is really annoying.
For California residents, an online option to cancel is available, as required by state law. I'm guessing that even if you don't live in California, you could enter a California address to enable this option, with no ill consequences assuming you're a digital-only subscriber. (Obviously this would not work if you receive the physical paper.) I no longer live in California but have not updated my address with the WSJ for this reason.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

12 month sub is expiring, called this morning to renew at my current $180/year for 6 day print + digital and they did not offer the same price so I didn't review and will see what happens after it expires.

As a side note, the Apple News + offer does not have the full WSJ content and frequently posts articles a day or so after it appears in the Journal.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Hi again Bogleheads -

As I mentioned in my OP, the other day I re-upped at the four-dollar rate. But strange things have been happening lately. The last couple days, when I've clicked on WSJ articles to read, the website said I had reached the limit for free articles. IOW, I'm not a subscriber. Strange... but I was too lazy to call them and say that I am indeed supposedly a subscriber.

Anyway, today I checked out the WSJ site again, and got the $4 a month offer again. I was curious how long the term would be for the $4 rate, so I clicked on the link. It's good for the next year. I went ahead and signed up, thinking that at some point they'd reject me as being ineligible for the deal, since I've already had a full year at $4 a month. But my subscription attempt went thru with no problem at all. So (apparently) I've got the deal for another full year.

This is evidently a Black Friday/Cyber Monday offer, available for two more days. So if you're interested, go to the WSJ site and see if the offer pops up.

Has anybody else seen this latest offer?
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

catdude wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:41 pm Hi again Bogleheads -

As I mentioned in my OP, the other day I re-upped at the four-dollar rate. But strange things have been happening lately. The last couple days, when I've clicked on WSJ articles to read, the website said I had reached the limit for free articles. IOW, I'm not a subscriber. Strange... but I was too lazy to call them and say that I am indeed supposedly a subscriber.
No idea if this was your issue, but in the past when I've had problems with the WSJ site not recognizing that I'm a subscriber, logging out and logging back in fixed it.
westie

Post by westie »

Don't remember what I paid but I recall them continuing to send me the print edition for 8 months after I canceled. I wouldn't negotiate until after the papers stop.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Bungo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:24 pm
catdude wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:41 pm Hi again Bogleheads -

No idea if this was your issue, but in the past when I've had problems with the WSJ site not recognizing that I'm a subscriber, logging out and logging back in fixed it.
I've had this problem too. Maybe cookie issue or some such?
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Bungo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:28 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 pm For those who truly want to cancel, having to call is really annoying.
For California residents, an online option to cancel is available, as required by state law. I'm guessing that even if you don't live in California, you could enter a California address to enable this option, with no ill consequences assuming you're a digital-only subscriber. (Obviously this would not work if you receive the physical paper.) I no longer live in California but have not updated my address with the WSJ for this reason.
Can confirm that on-line only subscribers can change the billing address to a CA address with no problem, and a "cancel" button magically shows up on the account page.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

That's interesting - didn't know that. Ironically, wsj.com has an article today entitled:

Subscription Companies Rethink Irksome Cancelation Practices
More firms are letting customers cancel online as the FTC clamps down on ‘dark’ user-experience design
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

runningshoes wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am
As a side note, the Apple News + offer does not have the full WSJ content and frequently posts articles a day or so after it appears in the Journal.
I like Apple News+, but I don't find the WSJ experience anywhere near as good or complete as with a direct digital WSJ subscription. It's different with magazines, which gives me exactly the same content as a digital or physical subscription with a magazine publisher.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am That's interesting - didn't know that. Ironically, wsj.com has an article today entitled:

Subscription Companies Rethink Irksome Cancelation Practices
More firms are letting customers cancel online as the FTC clamps down on ‘dark’ user-experience design
Great news! I assume that article is behind a paywall, so for the benefit of those who aren't currently subscribed, I'll quote the paragraph concerning the WSJ itself:

Karl Wells, chief subscriptions officer for Wall Street Journal parent Dow Jones & Co., said the newspaper is testing “new ways to provide subscribers with a more flexible approach to managing their subscription preferences,” and expects to expand those in the coming months. Dow Jones already lets its Barron’s, MarketWatch and WSJ Student subscribers cancel online but requires Wall Street Journal subscribers to cancel via phone call. Customers in markets with digital-cancelation laws can cancel online, a spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile, my local paper in Wisconsin is still in the dark ages of requiring a phone call to cancel, so I wasn't planning to subscribe until they offered a Black Friday special of 3 months for 99 cents. So I signed up using a virtual credit card number that expires before the three months are up. :D
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I discovered the same thing a while back, but I don't do business with companies that force me to call and talk to someone when I want to cancel a subscription I purchased online. That's just shady, and I was extremely disappointed a company I formerly considered reputable like the WSJ did it. What's funny is that had they allowed me to try and cancel online and offered me $19/month I would have taken the deal. Instead, I had to waste my time on a phone conversation where they offered me $9 month and I still declined because of the hassle. They lost my business permanently.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

GT99 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:10 pm I discovered the same thing a while back, but I don't do business with companies that force me to call and talk to someone when I want to cancel a subscription I purchased online. That's just shady, and I was extremely disappointed a company I formerly considered reputable like the WSJ did it. What's funny is that had they allowed me to try and cancel online and offered me $19/month I would have taken the deal. Instead, I had to waste my time on a phone conversation where they offered me $9 month and I still declined because of the hassle. They lost my business permanently.
I agree, it's a shady business practice. I don't like doing business with companies that require me to call/haggle/negotiate in order to get a fair price, especially after giving me an "introductory" price and then increasing it.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Bungo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:59 amDow Jones already lets its Barron’s, MarketWatch and WSJ Student subscribers cancel online but requires Wall Street Journal subscribers to cancel via phone call. Customers in markets with digital-cancelation laws can cancel online, a spokeswoman said.
So they only allow you to cancel online if they are legally forced. Very shady.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

mptfan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:15 pm
Bungo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:59 amDow Jones already lets its Barron’s, MarketWatch and WSJ Student subscribers cancel online but requires Wall Street Journal subscribers to cancel via phone call. Customers in markets with digital-cancelation laws can cancel online, a spokeswoman said.
So they only allow you to cancel online if they are legally forced. Very shady.
Not sure I follow. Is that a political statement referring to specific locales that are making this practice illegal? I don't agree with that either. I just don't do business with companies that have shady practices like like allowing me do all aspects of account management online except cancelling. I wish others would do the same.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

boglegirl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:40 am
Can confirm that on-line only subscribers can change the billing address to a CA address with no problem, and a "cancel" button magically shows up on the account page.
I could kiss you - this worked! I dreaded having to call in and cancel but I just changed my billing address to a PO box in Sacramento CA, then went to the Subscriptions page, clicked my WSJ subscription, and at the bottom was the cancel button. I was able to successfully cancel.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I just want to say that I think the WSJ's subscription policies are probably the most unethical I have ever run into. At least SiriusXM send reminders that they are about the shaft me.

I just got stuck with a $39/bill for the 13th month after a $4/mo. plan (I didn't update my reminders well enough). The idea that you cannot manage a subscription online (I knew that going in) is really carnival barker level sleaze, especially when you consider that they are fully willing to give me $4/ again as long as they get to keep $39 for one month!

I really love reading Jason Zweig, but I can no longer stomach the publisher's gutter level tactics, I am done.

BTW, I am fully willing to pay decent subscription prices, I shell out many hundred $ per year for digital and digital/print subscriptions.