Vanguard login security code

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AQ

Vanguard login security code

Post by AQ »

I have been using my home PC to access Vanguard site simply with passwords. Occasionally Vanguard sent me a security code of 6 digits to my cell. And I always selected the device as 'known' so Vanguard won't require a security code next time.

But recently Vanguard sent and asked for security codes EVERY time I tried to log in. I presumed somehow browser cookies got wiped out more frequently? I checked my balance almost daily so this becomes a bit annoying. If so, how can I change this behavior so I don't have to enter security codes every time? I'm using FireFox...

Thanks!
Wiggums

Re: Vanguard login security code

Post by Wiggums »

I starting having issues with Firefox. Perhaps that browser is not cresting the cookie or whatever object Vanguard’s app requires. Microsoft Edge does not have this issue
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

Perhaps Firefox is clearing out your cookies upon exit. You can check Settings | Privacy & Security | Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed [checkbox]

My installed version of Firefox does, but I want it to do that and have set it accordingly.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

AQ wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:31 pm I have been using my home PC to access Vanguard site simply with passwords. Occasionally Vanguard sent me a security code of 6 digits to my cell. And I always selected the device as 'known' so Vanguard won't require a security code next time.

But recently Vanguard sent and asked for security codes EVERY time I tried to log in. I presumed somehow browser cookies got wiped out more frequently? I checked my balance almost daily so this becomes a bit annoying. If so, how can I change this behavior so I don't have to enter security codes every time? I'm using FireFox...

Thanks!
It's been happening to me as well. Chrome in private browsing mode but NOT exiting each time, so the cookies would not be wiped.

*Edit: this is a new behavior. I always browse financial sites in private browsing mode.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

There is also a security setting in your Account profile to control if you want the code every time you login or only with unrecognized devices. Perhaps your setting got reset some how or was being ignored in the past for some reason. I, for one, check my account daily and like getting the code as an added security.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've had the problem with Chrome (not incognito mode) for a few weeks now; it started suddenly and has only gotten worse if anything, now most accesses require the code, even some that are barely a day apart. I haven't tried other browsers. I feel stupid clicking the option that I'm going to use this computer/network in the future since I'm obviously being ignored.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

No problem with "Brave" on Windows10.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

This started happening to me on Chrome regular browsing. It still happens every login even if i select "Yes I use this computer frequently"
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I'm answering your question with two questions:. 🙂

1. Why do you login daily?
2. Isn't this added security beneficial to maintaining a secure account??
Topic Author
AQ

Post by AQ »

Not a huge deal but good to find company here. Appears this is a Vanguard issue affecting many people. Thanks for sharing!
Colorado13 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm I'm answering your question with two questions:. 🙂

1. This question is off the topic here :happy
2. Security is of course super important, but it doesn't mean more secure is always better. There must be a trade-off point IMHO.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

AQ wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:31 pm I have been using my home PC to access Vanguard site simply with passwords. Occasionally Vanguard sent me a security code of 6 digits to my cell. And I always selected the device as 'known' so Vanguard won't require a security code next time.

Thanks!
I use firefox. I haven't had this issue yet. I haven't logged in this week yet. So, I won't know if anything changed. But, had no issue last weekend or last week.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Colorado13 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm I'm answering your question with two questions:. 🙂

I think it's almost universally agreed that some kind of daily (whenever practical) login is desirable, as reflected in the current thread about bank account fraud. Early discovery is helpful. Where people may argue is whether that can safely be done through an aggregator or whether individual logins are required. And certainly 2FA has pros and cons: it should make fraud less likely, but also can make monitoring (especially with lots of accounts) more logistically difficult.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Thanks!
Some causes of needing new security code settings are using more than one device, browser upgrades, system upgrades.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

It is more secure to get the security code for every login. Typing in 6 digits is a really low amount of extra time/hassle to achieve that.

If you check "remember the computer", only one device has to be compromised to compromise your account. If you always require 2FA, two devices have to be compromised.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:21 am It is more secure to get the security code for every login. Typing in 6 digits is a really low amount of extra time/hassle to achieve that.

If you check "remember the computer", only one device has to be compromised to compromise your account. If you always require 2FA, two devices have to be compromised.
But if you just logged in on the same device (IP, browser, etc.) hours before, the odds of 2fa being useful are extremely remote. No doubt it can be useful for what are truly new/different sessions. But more importantly, Vanguard gives you the configuration choice of every time or only for unrecognized logins, so that should work as intended, and it isn't.

Vanguard did seem to be aware of the issue when I called to ask today, but it would probably help if everybody else called too.
JSparks

Post by JSparks »

Wiggums wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:38 pm I starting having issues with Firefox. Perhaps that browser is not cresting the cookie or whatever object Vanguard’s app requires. Microsoft Edge does not have this issue
Hey Wiggums... were you ever able to get Firefox to login to your account at VG? I only use Firefox and so now I can't get into my account. The login button doesn't do anything on VG's site. One more reason to switch to Fidelity I guess.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

JSparks wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:33 am
Wiggums wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:38 pm I starting having issues with Firefox. Perhaps that browser is not cresting the cookie or whatever object Vanguard’s app requires. Microsoft Edge does not have this issue
Hey Wiggums... were you ever able to get Firefox to login to your account at VG? I only use Firefox and so now I can't get into my account. The login button doesn't do anything on VG's site. One more reason to switch to Fidelity I guess.
Firefox 94.02 works find with the Vanguard site. I did not make any changes.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
JSparks

Post by JSparks »

Hmm... that is odd because none of my PC's will login to VG and they are all running Firefox 94.02.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just tried using a Firefox private browsing window (version 94.0.2). Something is very, very wrong. I just got this error:
We're experiencing technical difficulties

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience. You can reach out to our client services team for more help.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm I just tried using a Firefox private browsing window (version 94.0.2). Something is very, very wrong. I just got this error:

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience. You can reach out to our client services team for more help.
But is that even at the stage where it asks or doesn't for the security code? It seems like we have a lot of "works" vs. "not works" posts but it's not clear if they are referring to the actual problem (that Vanguard isn't honoring the request to remember the device/browser/whatever for future logins without 2fa.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

No, it doesn't get to that point. A quick check in Firefox "Inspect" shows a problem with 3rd party cookies.
Some cookies are misusing the recommended “SameSite“ attribute 2
Cookie “TLTUID” will be soon rejected because it has the “SameSite” attribute set to “None” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/ ... e/SameSite logon
Cookie “TLTSID” will be soon rejected because it has the “SameSite” attribute set to “None” or an invalid value, without the “secure” attribute. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/ ... e/SameSite logon
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://static-c1a.vgcontent.info/web/c ... ent.min.js”.

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://udc-neb.kampyle.com/v1/qceuv844 ... 9c7s/track. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).

Cookie “” has been rejected as third-party. track
Referrer Policy: Ignoring the less restricted referrer policy “no-referrer-when-downgrade” for the cross-site request: https://udc-neb.kampyle.com/v1/qceuv844 ... 9c7s/track zone.js:3324:27
Bad HTTP status: 0 generic1637775077445.js:860:10698
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://udc-neb.kampyle.com/v1/qceuv844 ... 9c7s/track. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).

Cookie “” has been rejected as third-party.
Chrome has no problems with the login. I wasn't asked for a security code.
JSparks

Post by JSparks »

When I click on the login button, nothing happens. I don't get a pop-up or any browser movement. I've even tried with the browser security settings minimized and pop-ups allowed. Grrr...
ObiQuiet

Post by ObiQuiet »

I've noticed the same recently with Vanguard.

However, it may not be related to our browsers. Many companies are rolling out "adaptive multi-factor" where they determine whether or not prompt based on a variety of risk evaluations (time of day, changed IP addresses, different browser add-ons). It may be that they don't have the setting tuned right yet. It's an ever-changing target to set the right level of bothering legitimate users while tightening security.

Just a possiblity - I have no knowledge of whether that's what's up in this case or not.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I am on windows 11 and have problem as described using Microsoft Edge.

Vanguard keeps changing it's software
Last edited by retire2022 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I noticed lately that I am sent a 2fa code each time I log in. In the past, it only happened occasionally. I figured it might have something to do with the fact that I started using a VPN.
egrets

Post by egrets »

For me the login button works but after I type in the six digit code the buttons for the device setting don't work so I can't continue. I reported this to them a few weeks ago, but it's still not fixed. I'm beginning to wonder if they had a meeting and decided, let's get rid of all our customers, first cut the customer service hours, then take away email, then make logging in difficult or impossible.

Post by 000 »

Yes this has started happening to me with firefox. I had assumed Vanguard was just trying to pester me into leaving but perhaps there is something wrong with the browser. Not going to try another one though.
grobertj

Post by grobertj »

The same thing has happened to me on my iMac using Safari and Yahoo as a browser.
The only constant is CHANGE!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Vanguard website doesn't work with Firefox. See my post: Re: Vanguard Website
GJ48

Post by GJ48 »

I'm running Windows 10 with Edge and haven't had any problems. I get my 2FA code by voice on my cell. I don't use a password manager for Vanguard.com as I prefer keeping my password offline.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

There are many password managers that don’t store your passwords online, such as keepass.
kramer

Post by kramer »

niceguy7376 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:19 pm This started happening to me on Chrome regular browsing. It still happens every login even if i select "Yes I use this computer frequently"
Same experience for me.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

JSparks wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:46 pm When I click on the login button, nothing happens. I don't get a pop-up or any browser movement. I've even tried with the browser security settings minimized and pop-ups allowed. Grrr...
I get the same using Firefox and this just started within the last couple of weeks.

No problem using Chrome.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

I've been trying to do a transaction for a few days now. I can't login to the iOS mobile app at all - it only asks me for a password (no username) and then incorrectly tells me that my password is wrong.

I can login to the website using a texted 2FA code but when I get to the final "continue" button on the trade it just does nothing. I'm going to call them on Monday but I'm pretty appalled that these very basic functions have been broken even for a single day.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those using Firefox and can't login, try clicking on the link at the bottom of the page and see if you get the account menus. Details are in my post: Re: Vanguard Website

This is for a Windows 10 desktop. I decided to try this again in Linux. In Firefox, I repeated this error.

I then get an unexpected call with a caller ID of "800 Service" from (800) 665-4386. Normally, I would wait for the caller to hang up and then report the call as spam to Nomorobo. Instead, I heard a message "Hello, this is Vanguard. To receiver your one-time security code, please press 1."

In Linux, clicking on the AdChoices link produced a login prompt. Logging in resulted in the "technical difficulties" screen and a subsequent phone call from the "800 Service". With no way to enter the code, I could not login to my account.

In Linux with Chrome, I was presented with the security code entry field. The "800 Service" called and I was able to login to my account.

At the very least, Vanguard should put their name on the caller ID. Otherwise, I was waiting for someone to sell me an extended car warranty. :twisted:

As noted in Re: Vanguard Website, this was the last straw (also note their statements are missing information). I'm moving my account to Fidelity in 2022.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

grobertj wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:29 am The same thing has happened to me on my iMac using Safari and Yahoo as a browser.
I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get my employer's 2FA website plugin to work on Safari. Perhaps the same is happening for you with Vanguard. For my employer 2FA, I have to turn off prevention for cross-site tracking and turn off blocking of third-party iframes before I can even get the button to enter the code from my key fob. It makes me not want to use my Apple devices to log in to work from home.

But even on Chrome and Firefox, I have to reconfigure to allow third-party cookies and iframes to get my employer's 2FA button to work. Chrome makes this the easiest, as I can add a specific exception for my employer's identity verification site. So if I do need to access my employer's resources from home, I usually use Chrome (and our VPN of course).

As a data point specifically for Vanguard, I was not sent the text code for my login just now, even though it's been a month or so since I last logged in. I am still on the old site though, so that may be part of it.
JSparks

Post by JSparks »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:25 am For those using Firefox and can't login, try clicking on the link at the bottom of the page and see if you get the account menus. Details are in my post: Re: Vanguard Website
Thank you for the suggestion, but no luck for me with that.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:25 am For those using Firefox and can't login, try clicking on the link at the bottom of the page and see if you get the account menus. Details are in my post: Re: Vanguard Website

This is for a Windows 10 desktop. I decided to try this again in Linux. In Firefox, I repeated this error.

I then get an unexpected call with a caller ID of "800 Service" from (800) 665-4386. Normally, I would wait for the caller to hang up and then report the call as spam to Nomorobo. Instead, I heard a message "Hello, this is Vanguard. To receiver your one-time security code, please press 1."

In Linux, clicking on the AdChoices link produced a login prompt. Logging in resulted in the "technical difficulties" screen and a subsequent phone call from the "800 Service". With no way to enter the code, I could not login to my account.

In Linux with Chrome, I was presented with the security code entry field. The "800 Service" called and I was able to login to my account.

At the very least, Vanguard should put their name on the caller ID. Otherwise, I was waiting for someone to sell me an extended car warranty. :twisted:

As noted in Re: Vanguard Website, this was the last straw (also note their statements are missing information). I'm moving my account to Fidelity in 2022.
When I enter my username and password using an up-to-date Firefox 94.0.2 on Windows 10 on this URL https://investor.vanguard.com/my-account/log-on and click the red "Log in" button a blue border appears around that button but nothing happens. I had been logging into this same Vanguard link for over a year using Firefox and then all of a sudden it stopped working a couple weeks ago.

Clicking My Accounts at the bottom of the page just reloads this same page.

I can login on that page using Edge and Chrome though.

Edit: I used the directions here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... -passwords to "Clear history for that (Vanguard) site" and was then able to login using Firefox.
baitcaster

Post by baitcaster »

beernutz wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:20 am

When I enter my username and password using an up-to-date Firefox 94.0.2 on Windows 10 on this URL https://investor.vanguard.com/my-account/log-on and click the red "Log in" button a blue border appears around that button but nothing happens. I had been logging into this same Vanguard link for over a year using Firefox and then all of a sudden it stopped working a couple weeks ago.

Clicking My Accounts at the bottom of the page just reloads this same page.

I can login on that page using Edge and Chrome though.

Edit: I used the directions here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... -passwords to "Clear history for that (Vanguard) site" and was then able to login using Firefox.
Same issue here using Firefox...log in button with blue border is dead. I found a work around...if I turn off my password manager's auto fill feature the log in button works.
Hiker-Biker

Re: Vanguard login - Password Length Changed

Post by Hiker-Biker »

I had an issue logging on to VG this evening using Chrome. I kept getting a password incorrect error even though I use a password manager. After several tries, I noticed that the Log In button was not lit up and a message stated my password has to be a maximum of 20 characters.

So I deleted the last two characters and everything works fine. I'm not happy that VG did not notify me of the change.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm I had an issue logging on to VG this evening using Chrome. I kept getting a password incorrect error even though I use a password manager. After several tries, I noticed that the Log In button was not lit up and a message stated my password has to be a maximum of 20 characters.

So I deleted the last two characters and everything works fine. I'm not happy that VG did not notify me of the change.
Curious... what does "deleted the last two characters" mean?
1) You reset your password to have two fewer characters than before
2) Your password was 22 characters and you only had to enter the first 20 of them
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

sycamore wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:30 am
Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm I had an issue logging on to VG this evening using Chrome. I kept getting a password incorrect error even though I use a password manager. After several tries, I noticed that the Log In button was not lit up and a message stated my password has to be a maximum of 20 characters.

2) Your password was 22 characters and you only had to enter the first 20 of them
#2. Easier to hit the backspace than change the password. I use the Yubico key for 2 factor authentication.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I have the same issue with Chrome and the many many requests for a code on my home computer. One thing I noticed - my spouse and myself each have a log-on (I do have a family view, but if want to enter a transaction, we need to log-on to our different accounts). Whenever I switch which account is being logged into (ie., from her to me or the other way around), I get the request for the security code. This wasn't true in the past. It also happens more frequently just from a single account.
Mark
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 am

#2. Easier to hit the backspace than change the password. I use the Yubico key for 2 factor authentication.
Thanks for the response.

Yeesh. Presumably when you entered your password originally, Vanguard never actually kept the 22 characters, it truncated them to 20. Or are you saying you were previously able to enter and later use a 22 character password, but now it's only 20?
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

sycamore wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 am
Hiker-Biker wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks for the response.

Yeesh. Presumably when you entered your password originally, Vanguard never actually kept the 22 characters, it truncated them to 20. Or are you saying you were previously able to enter and later use a 22 character password, but now it's only 20?
Password was always 22 characters. Only recently has the login error occurred. But I can't speak to whether VG just truncated the last two characters or ignored them.
littlerfish

Post by littlerfish »

Thanks for this, I've been blocked all week till I saw this. Fidelity in 2022 for sure.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

littlerfish wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:22 am
Thanks for this, I've been blocked all week till I saw this. Fidelity in 2022 for sure.
:thumbsup I have had to do this twice in the last week to login. I probably won't switch to Fidelity but it is annoying.
UNCHEEL

Post by UNCHEEL »

There has been some change at Vanguard.com that affects your ability to use stored user names & passwords to log into your account. If you go to the login page, your information is pre-populated, but pressing the "Log In" button doesn't do anything. It sounds like that's what you are experiencing.

To get around it:
1) Put the cursor at the end of your user name, backspace, and retype the last letter.
2) Do the same thing for your password. (It shows all *'s by default, but it still works. Or, if you don't remember the last letter, press the eyeball.)