Subaru Crosstrek All Season Tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Subaru Crosstrek All Season Tires

Post by Leesbro63 »

I am considering replacing the OEM Falken tires on our 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. We live in Pittsburgh and frequently travel to Indianapolis, about 375 miles on Interstate 70. I'm concerned about winter traction. We never go offroad (despite the reputation for Crosstrek owners), but do encounter the usual midwest snowy winters. Here is my question:

The top rated tires for this car on Tire rack are Michelin CrossClimate 2 and Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. Both tires have the "triple mountain" stamp for severe winter, although they are both "all-season" tires, not to be confused with "winter only" tires.

Why would someone in the snowbelt NOT buy only the tires with the "triple mountain" winter seal of approval? And what am I giving up by doing so (ride? mileage?). The Michelin Primacy Tour A/S is also recommended, but doesn't have the "triple mountain". The Michelin CrossClimate2 has a winter/snow rating of 9.2 out of 10 versus 8.1 for the Primacy Tour A/S.

Any guidance here is appreciated. Oh and the OEM Falken tires has a winter/snow rating of 7.5.
jbmitt

Re: Subaru Crosstrek All Season Tires

Post by jbmitt »

I just bought the CrossClimate 2’s for my Subaru Impreza. I needed new all season tires, and my dedicated snow/winter tires are older. I’m hoping to avoid tire swaps for the limited time that I plan to keep the car.

I believe they have the XL rating so it’s going to be a firmer, less comfortable ride and potential lower mpg.

My tire size had been out of stock through Costco and DiscountTire for quite awhile. I found them in stock on Costco and will get the price adjusted for the next Michelin deal that starts this weekend.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 am
Why would someone in the snowbelt NOT buy only the tires with the "triple mountain" winter seal of approval? And what am I giving up by doing so (ride? mileage?). The Michelin Primacy Tour A/S is also recommended, but doesn't have the "triple mountain". The Michelin CrossClimate2 has a winter/snow rating of 9.2 out of 10 versus 8.1 for the Primacy Tour A/S.

I plan to use that style tire when I have to replace tires on the Outback. Don't have a decision on brand.

FWIW I read that 70% of drivers in the Upper MIdwest, MN, WI, MI don't use either snow or all weather tires. I think those are states that ban studs as well.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm firmly in the "separate winter tires" camp, and have two sets of wheels for both cars. That said, when my parents got their new Santa Fe, my almost 80-yo dad decided he didn't want to do wheel swaps anymore (they had on the previous two cars), and asked for advice. We eventually settled on the CrossClimate2 as the best compromise for him. He hasn't been through a winter yet though.

As for why anyone in a snow state would choose not to go with 3MS tires? For one, All-Weather tires are relatively new--until a few years ago, only Nokian made them. So options are somewhat limited. For another, they're still a compromise--just a different compromise than All-Seasons, specifically being more biased towards winter traction. Essentially, they're winter tires with a slightly hardier tread compound that won't wear down to the belts over a single summer season. So winter performance is close to (but not quite as good as) dedicated winter tires, but summer performance is nowhere near dedicated summer tires, and even a bit short of a good set of All-Seasons.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I'm not sure how long the all weather pseudo category of tires have been on the market (or non winter tire 3PMSF) but I don't think most people even know they exist. I'm a big fan of them if you are in a region with a decent winter/cold/snow/ice/etc and don't want to mess with winter tires, especially if during your winter you often get warm periods. We are running the Firestone Weathergrip on our Subaru Ascent, previously had them on a Forester. I recommend to all my friends and family to consider the 3PMSF if they are running all seasons. I have no interest in keeping separate winter tires as our winters are not that severe.

Downside might be cost? I guess they cost more than your run of the mill all season tire.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

For those with separate tires for the seasons - where do you store your other set of tires? Do you lug tires into the mechanic twice a year?

That has been my main impediment to taking the plunge into winter tires although I live in 6-mos of winter. I agree that separate winter/summer tires make the most sense, but for the hassle factor . . .
sport

Post by sport »

I put a set of the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my Camry this summer. I do not notice any difference in ride or handling. I expect them to be a lot better in the snow. The Michelins are available at Costco, Goodyears are not.
wunder

Post by wunder »

True all season tires are pretty new. I just put a set of the Cross Climate 2s on my 2015 Subaru Outback a few months back (to replace Michelin Premier LTX worn down to the bars). Great tires so far. Contrary to some reports I have not noticed a fall off in MPG efficiency, ride noise, or smoothness on hot summer NC roads. They will get tested properly when I drive to Ohio for Christmas through the Virginia and WV mountains.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Big Heart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:02 am For those with separate tires for the seasons - where do you store your other set of tires? Do you lug tires into the mechanic twice a year?

That has been my main impediment to taking the plunge into winter tires although I live in 6-mos of winter. I agree that separate winter/summer tires make the most sense, but for the hassle factor . . .
We live in Billings, MT and I have 3 extra sets in tire bags and on tire dollies to move around in the garage. It is absolutely a pain loading them in/out of the cars without messing up the interior. The trunk space isn't enough so I have to fold down rear seats. Many of the local tire shops do offer storage solutions. I'm not willing to pay for it since I have an unused double deep garage stall.

The extra set of TPMS sensors are also a pain, and the shop has to re-program them each time. This year it took two extra trips until it was right.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Your Pittsburgh winters certainly match my Massachusetts winters, I would think. That said, my 19 Crosstrek has a set of snows for the winter. I have a shed where my extra wheels and tires reside. With 4 vehicles, plus my son's car, I would estimate we probably have 30 wheels with tires in there. I'll also mention that for the 19 Crosstrek, Subaru greatly enlarged the wheel well space. This allowed me to up the sidewall aspect ratio from 60 to 65 without issue, so getting a bit more ground clearance for nothing helps.

I will also note that once my OEM all season garbage tires are worn out, I will not be replacing them with the same, but when the snows are getting lower, I'll put another set of snows on them. We often run snows year round. Our 13 Crosstrek has worn its tires out (150k miles, so has had many sets) and is actually getting snows this Saturday, which will be the year round tires. For those running in circles with their hands flailing, screaming that the world is ending, I find that we get around 70k miles out of a set of snows. I strategically run them as real snows until we hit the first set of wear bars (you do know that most snows now have winter wear bars and summer wear bars, right?), then they get relegated to summer only use.

If I were limited on space and could not swap wheels, I would run snows year round. I do the swapping myself. Why? I have little trust in mechanics. My son bought a new STi and was doing all dealer service to keep their 150k powertrain warranty and tires for life. First rotation, they had 2 directional tires on backwards. Most recent service, they recommended an air filter which wasn't needed, and left off some hoses, requiring an immediate return. Once home and switching from the OEM 19" wheels to 18" with snows, we found that they stripped one nut/lug, which tells me that they use unlimited torque wrenches. I'm no pro mechanic, but I would never make those mistakes. Lugnuts by hand, then with a torque wrench set to the factory spec isn't hard.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
fittan

Post by fittan »

Big Heart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:02 am For those with separate tires for the seasons - where do you store your other set of tires? Do you lug tires into the mechanic twice a year?

I store them in the garage using a tire rack mounted on the wall. When it comes to swap, I simply back up my car into garage, and roll them into the trunk/back seats. Since I bought my winter tire from Costco, I simply schedule an appointment online, show up and do my shopping for an hour and its all done.

By the way, when you're swapping the tires twice a year (late spring and early winter), the mechanic will also mark your tires so they will know to "rotate" them at the next appointment. In a nutshell, winter tire swap plus tire rotations while shopping two times a year is as simple as it gets.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Mine are in tire totes, stacked on the side wall of the garage. My dad hangs his from the garage ceiling on a rack he built himself from 2x4s and black pipe, but there are commercial racks too.

I have taken them to Costco to swap them in the past, but most of the time just do it myself. Takes me just over an hour to do both cars and put everything away. I've never had the TPMS issue that jbmitt identified. Our old Lexus supported two independent sets of TPMS sensors, and there was a simple pushbutton switch in the glovebox to swap between them. The Audi that replaced it is passive--uses the ABS speed sensor rather than a direct sensor in the tire. And my BMW will read whatever sensor happens to be mounted at the time, so they don't have to be programmed at all.
wilked

Post by wilked »

I have a Subaru Ascent, after research just put CrossClimate2 on (after 40k miles or so). The Falkens kinda sucked, happy to change them out
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I have two sets of tires for my Crosstrek: a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires (these are not the OEM Falkens). The Blizzaks are of course proper winter tires, but the Falkens are also 3PMSF-rated.

I bought the Falkens for off-road use earlier this year and haven't used them through winter yet, but I'm considering keeping them on this season to see how they do. FWIW, yesterday I drove them through a snowstorm between Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 through Colorado and they did quite well even in sudden stops.
chance

Post by chance »

Just put a set of Crossclimate2s ony Outback. So far have been very impressed. Definitely make the car feel stickier to the road. Nice to have better winter tire performance without the hassle of snow tires. But the main reason I got them is because of the improved wet weather performance. Living in the PNW rain and wet roads are our main challenge. The CC2s are great in the rain.
staustin

Post by staustin »

If you've not already purchased, consider the Sumitomo HTR available on tirerack. Excellent and quite a bit less than the crosstrek.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

staustin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 am If you've not already purchased, consider the Sumitomo HTR available on tirerack. Excellent and quite a bit less than the crosstrek.
I see that the wet traction number is a dealbreaker at only 7.3 out of 10 versus 9.2 for the Michelins and 8.7 for the Goodyears.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Before I retired I ran Blizzak tires from Thanksgiving till March, huge difference in the snow over All Season, no idea about All Weather, which I've not heard of till today. I had them mounted on spare rims, stored them in the shed, and just ignored the low tire light. The downside to me was they were soft so they didn't last very long here in southern MA.
Regards | Bob
sneakboxer

Post by sneakboxer »

I'm running Michelin Defender T+H on a Forester in the Cleveland area. So far they are wearing well and work well in all seasons. They are quiet and seem to be wearing well. I also have a set of Michelin Ice X snow tires. That are crazy good in the winter but I only bought them when I lived in Wisconsin with a very steep driveway (still had the Yokohama factory tires). Due to the soft compound of snow tires long highway trips on dry warm roads might accelerate the wear of the tire. The Defenders work well enough I haven't used the snow tires since I moved here. I don't think you can go wrong with top shelf tires.
Edit: the Cross Climate tires were not available when I purchased the Defenders or I would of went with them.
/r
Greg
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

wunder wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:36 am True all season tires are pretty new. I just put a set of the Cross Climate 2s on my 2015 Subaru Outback a few months back (to replace Michelin Premier LTX worn down to the bars). Great tires so far. Contrary to some reports I have not noticed a fall off in MPG efficiency, ride noise, or smoothness on hot summer NC roads. They will get tested properly when I drive to Ohio for Christmas through the Virginia and WV mountains.
I found the LXT to be a great tire except for fast wear. I almost replaced them with CC2, despite sunbelt, no snow, little rain, but sounded too good to be true, excelling in everything. Came across same type of reports about hot weather performance and noise, and went with different tire. It’s almost like there are 2 versions of the CC2. Hopefully time and more reports provide better clarity, but for now I’m still skeptical, but with serious winter driving, it’s probably worth it, even if the reports are all true.
arthur_vandelay

Post by arthur_vandelay »

Pittsburgh is full of hills and sharp turns. I'd definitely be running snow tires in the winter. Blizzaks. Find someone selling Crosstrek rims on CL or FB Marketplace.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

If you want an all season tire for the snow I think the best tire in the market is the Michelin CrossClimate 2. We ski every weekend in the winter in PA/NJ. I have extensively reviewed US and European testing.

I have done dedicated snow tires for many years and with many vehicles, but you give up a lot when the ground isn't snow covered. If you are driving on highways, a 3PMSF should be fine. I remember when I had a G37X Infinity with stock all seasons. It snowed at work, and there was 4" or 5" of snow on the road on the way home and the plows hadn't been out. The snow was almost up to the ground clearance of the car, and I had no trouble getting around. Unless I was climbing steep hills, snow tires would have been pointless, since if there was any more snow, the car would have been high centered.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
sport

Post by sport »

sport wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 am I put a set of the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my Camry this summer. I do not notice any difference in ride or handling. I expect them to be a lot better in the snow. The Michelins are available at Costco, Goodyears are not.
We have now had some significant snow accumulations and I had an opportunity to try the CrossClimate2 tires in the snow. The starting, driving, and stopping traction was excellent. I could not be more pleased with them.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

sport wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:50 pm
sport wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 am I put a set of the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my Camry this summer. I do not notice any difference in ride or handling. I expect them to be a lot better in the snow. The Michelins are available at Costco, Goodyears are not.
We have now had some significant snow accumulations and I had an opportunity to try the CrossClimate2 tires in the snow. The starting, driving, and stopping traction was excellent. I could not be more pleased with them.
Thanks for that update.
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

I would second the CrossClimate tires...we have probably installed 20 sets of them and had ZERO complaints....you know they are going to be a little louder but really not that bad at all. ..we also install a ton of Nokian wrg4 and those are equally as well received. In a perfect word yes...go with a snow tire etc...but I get it...it costs money to switch out tires and time and hassle...we store our clients tires so they never see them until they are on the car or they sell the car...we are not cheap however but we sure are easy...On my wife's car I run Blizzacks in the winter and run flat Bridgestone the rest of the year...safest combo IMHO...
Go to Discount Tire and get a set,,,they have a policy if you are not happy they will take them back...I have personally seen them do it with a clients car..all the best...
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

I live in Northwestern Ontario. Some roads are snow packed from Dec to Mar. This is my 3rd winter on Nokian WRG3 on an AWD Lexus. I'm very satisfied with them. Kal Tire's ratings on the Nokian and Michelin CrossClimate are similar.

I'm retired so usually have a choice to stay home in the worst weather. But I also hike and snowshoe often in winter so experience snow, ice and slush regularly. I often see drivers spinning their tires or skidding when braking when I have lots of traction. If I had a daily commute, or lived on a rural road I would have dedicated snow winter tires, but for living in the city the All Weather tires are a good compromise.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Subaru Impreza Michelin Defender T+H Vredestein Qutrac on other. Both good All Season tires.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

One thing to note about the CrossClimate2 tires is that they are directional, limiting your rotations to front-back.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 am
Why would someone in the snowbelt NOT buy only the tires with the "triple mountain" winter seal of approval? And what am I giving up by doing so (ride? mileage?).
We live in Ohio, and have a relatively pedestrian AWD SUV, in addition to a RWD V8 sedan with performance tires (275s in the back).

By the time the third snowflake falls the sedan is rendered completely useless, so I just use the SUV if I need to go somewhere.

I am unwilling to sacrifice the handling on the sedan the rest of the year by putting on all-seasons, and I don't put on enough miles to justify a set of winter tires for it.

That would be one reason. :)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Bengineer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:54 am One thing to note about the CrossClimate2 tires is that they are directional, limiting your rotations to front-back.
Isn’t front-to-back the way all radial tires are supposed to be rotated? I thought cross-side rotation went away years ago.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:43 am
Bengineer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:54 am One thing to note about the CrossClimate2 tires is that they are directional, limiting your rotations to front-back.
Isn’t front-to-back the way all radial tires are supposed to be rotated? I thought cross-side rotation went away years ago.
Non directional radials can be swapped side to side as well.

What I do with our 13 Crosstrek? Snows year round on separate wheels once the OEM all season tires wore out. We've been doing this on many vehicles and it's worked really well. When they get lower on tread, newer snows have a separate set of wear bars and then the tires are only used in the warmer seasons. We get between 55k and 75k miles out of a set of snows. Remember that many snows have significantly more tread than all seasons, so even though they wear faster, they have a lot more tread to wear.

I store my extra wheels and tires in a 12 x 20 shed. I haven't counted, but would estimate I've got at least 50 wheels/tires in there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Michelin Defenders on our vehicles.
Works well in mud, snow, ice, rain.
Year round. Very long tread life.

Honda Passport AWD
Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Toyota Tundra 4WD

Not sure how the Michelin Cross Climate compares to the Michelin Defenders?
Especially rain, mud, ice, snow.
Anyone?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sport

Post by sport »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 am Michelin Defenders on our vehicles.
Works well in mud, snow, ice, rain.
Year round. Very long tread life.

Honda Passport AWD
Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Toyota Tundra 4WD

Anyone?

Perhaps this will have the info you want. https://tirehungry.com/michelin-crosscl ... re-review/
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Garage
Lug? Yes
not much of a hassle at all

Place where we get them will mount them each time for no additional charge since we bought them there. Usually do it when we go in for routine service.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 am I am considering replacing the OEM Falken tires on our 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. We live in Pittsburgh and frequently travel to Indianapolis, about 375 miles on Interstate 70. I'm concerned about winter traction. We never go offroad (despite the reputation for Crosstrek owners), but do encounter the usual midwest snowy winters. Here is my question:

The top rated tires for this car on Tire rack are Michelin CrossClimate 2 and Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. Both tires have the "triple mountain" stamp for severe winter, although they are both "all-season" tires, not to be confused with "winter only" tires.

Any guidance here is appreciated. Oh and the OEM Falken tires has a winter/snow rating of 7.5.
How will those Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires do on a road like this?
Anything better for an AWD SUV?
Forest road. Not all asphalt. Some gravel. Some not so good. Mud. Slush. Snow over ice, mud/slush, etc.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dbr

Post by dbr »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 am I am considering replacing the OEM Falken tires on our 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. We live in Pittsburgh and frequently travel to Indianapolis, about 375 miles on Interstate 70. I'm concerned about winter traction. We never go offroad (despite the reputation for Crosstrek owners), but do encounter the usual midwest snowy winters. Here is my question:

How will those Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires do on a road like this?
Anything better for an AWD SUV?
Forest road. Not all asphalt. Some gravel. Some not so good. Mud. Slush. Snow over ice, mud/slush, etc.

On that road as shown a RWD sedan with all season tires would do fine. Certainly a more modern FWD sedan would be fine. The street in front of my house can look way worse than that lots of times in the winter (ok not mud, but . . .) and we lived for years with RWD sedans and not even bothering to use snow tires. When I lived in a rural area we did go with the snow tires. At one point for mountain driving we even had chains, which are still required some places today. I admit that the drill of the neighborhood rousting out to push everyone onto the road ahead of the plows, while a good exercise in team building, can get really tiresome. I do feel for the people in their little sedans compared to some of us that at least use an Outback or something of that ilk. I didn't bother changing out the factory tires, but definitely will go to an all weather design eventually, more for extra security in winter than from necessity.

But in the spirit of your question a person who seriously travels in truly difficult terrain would drive a true 4WD with off-road tires. People around us that have to transit snow and bad roads and people who do snow plowing use 4WD pickups mostly with winter tires. The actual city and state road crews mostly plow using 10 wheel dump trucks. I don't know if they change out tires for the winter, but I doubt it. There are specialized AWD plows for some applications. Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1eIEVxRA0Y

I do think from everything I can read that an all weather tire on a typical AWD SUV like a Crosstrek (which is the "elf-sized" SUV variation) would be fine for almost anyone and the people for whom it is not fine, they know who they are. We have a family member who drives a Nissan Xterra Pro with the right tires, but that is for a reason. Note that even the Crosstrek has Subara style clearance, which can be an issue as much as tread.
dbr

Post by dbr »

An interesting perspective is that I read somewhere that 70% of car owners in the upper midwest, including MN, MI, and WI, don't use snow tires and rely only on all season (not all weather) tires. Also I think studs are illegal in those states, at least a couple of them.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 am Honda Passport AWD
Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Toyota Tundra 4WD

Anyone?
I can't answer that specifically, but I did change the tires on my AWD Honda Pilot from factory Bridgestone all seasons to BF Goodrich All Weather Advantage TA LT tires (they have the mountain and snowflake symbol). I would have bought the Cross Climate's, but they didn't make them in my size and there were shortages at the time. I noticed the BFG tires had a B traction rating (this is wet pavement braking). I did notice on wet pavement, I can spin the tires easier than the factory tires. So All Weather tire wet traction is not as good which surprised me. The snow performance was much better than the factory all season tires. It just seemed unstoppable in the icy snowmageddon we just had.

The Cross Climate tires also have a B traction rating. So you may be giving up some wet traction performance to get the snow performance. I don't drive my pilot hard enough to notice any difference in dry performance. Tires are usually full of trade-offs and you'd need 3 tire sets per vehicle to optimize for winter, wet, and dry performance which is just too much work. And a 4th set if you want optimal in mud/dirt. I'm fine with a single compromise.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State