Please suggest my next car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KyleAAA

Re: Please suggest my next car

Post by KyleAAA »

We got a Subaru Outback in this case. We are happy with our purchase. The top trims will run more like $40k, but you probably don't need the top trims. The Honda CRV seems to have better driver and passenger visibility, though, since that seems important to you. We cross shopped them, but ended up going with the Outback since it can tow 3500lbs and we want to tow a boat/camper.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:43 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Workaholic wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:25 pm
unstartable wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:35 pm Midsize sedan. There is zero reason to buy a suv/cuv for one kid.
Quite a bit of reason actually.

Ever tried to fit a big stroller in a midsize sedan? Doesn't work too well.
This. The stroller takes most of the trunk, i actually wanted to get a nicer more comfy stroller but was afraid it won't fit in the trunk at all!
I've done all of these things and FAR more, with 2 kids in a subcompact. We go on week+ long camping trips in a subcompact. Really depends on how much of a hassle the extra cost reduces; for us, a larger car does not make $20k difference in our lives. It may to OP.
Sounds penny wise and pound foolish. I'd rather use disposable income to make my life easier and more comfortable...going anywhere for a week in a subcompact sounds like punishment to me.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing that has not been mentioned is that when you are considering different models be sure to get car insurance quotes.

The cost can vary a lot more than you might expect for cars that are in the same price range.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Subaru Outback or Forester. AWD for safety and handling is great. Boxer engine (horizontally opposed with a lower center of gravity) and transmission will break away in head on collision, sliding under the floor, and therefore saving the driver and passenger. Always a top 5 star safety rating.
Lots of other engineering in these vehicles that doesn't get enough press (IMHO).
I've recently purchased a used Legacy for my daily driver. Surprising handling in corners, esp. when accelerating in corners.
Last edited by chipperd on Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Workaholic wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:53 pm
unstartable wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:35 pm Midsize sedan. There is zero reason to buy a suv/cuv for one kid.

This. The stroller takes most of the trunk, i actually wanted to get a nicer more comfy stroller but was afraid it won't fit in the trunk at all!
I've done all of these things and FAR more, with 2 kids in a subcompact. We go on week+ long camping trips in a subcompact. Really depends on how much of a hassle the extra cost reduces; for us, a larger car does not make $20k difference in our lives. It may to OP.
Sounds penny wise and pound foolish. I'd rather use disposable income to make my life easier and more comfortable...going anywhere for a week in a subcompact sounds like punishment to me.
It's literally never been something that bothered us, like at all. Wife and I are in total agreement, and kids have never once said they wished we had a larger car (yeah, we have one - been 6yrs, although we are getting a 2nd car next spring/summer). At this point $20k is not a lot to us, but we can go on a lot of extra trips for that $20k and that's what we choose to use our finite resources for instead. If you feel differently, great.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:38 pm Don't buy a brand new luxury SUV. You're going to have bodily fluids, dirt, and cereal all over it within a month anyway.
+10000
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:36 am Pre-owned '89 Chrysler LeBaron convertible.
Jon Voight's car?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:38 pm This is the same site where people argue over who sets their thermostat lowest and everyone's throwing out luxury SUVs for someone with a $35k budget and a 1 year old?
I've bought RX300 and RX350 and never came close to paying as much as $35K. However, I did buy a Subaru Outback and it cost more than my Lexuses.

We put a child car seat in all our cars, so that we didn't have to move a car seat from car to car. Maybe the "converter" seat is a problem?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

livesoft wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:37 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:38 pm This is the same site where people argue over who sets their thermostat lowest and everyone's throwing out luxury SUVs for someone with a $35k budget and a 1 year old?
I've bought RX300 and RX350 and never came close to paying as much as $35K. However, I did buy a Subaru Outback and it cost more than my Lexuses.

We put a child car seat in all our cars, so that we didn't have to move a car seat from car to car. Maybe the "converter" seat is a problem?
Were the seats rear facing?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Watty wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:24 pm One thing that has not been mentioned is that when you are considering different models be sure to get car insurance quotes.

The cost can vary a lot more than you might expect for cars that are in the same price range.
Thanks for the reminder. I will certainly do that
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:25 pmWere the seats rear facing?
No.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dak

Post by dak »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:38 pm Don't buy a brand new luxury SUV. You're going to have bodily fluids, dirt, and cereal all over it within a month anyway.
And the baby will make a mess in it as well!
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Anyone who tried the Outback with a converter that’s rear facing? Read some complaints in other places about people still need to push the front sear so the convertible can fit!
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:41 pm Anyone who tried the Outback with a converter that’s rear facing? Read some complaints in other places about people still need to push the front sear so the convertible can fit!
Was no issue, Peg Perego Primo Viaggio convertible seat. There wasn't a *ton* of room but I would never suggest a rear facing convertible can't fit. Try it out with your seat, sure, but it's plenty big.

Seriously, when I was growing up everyone had a Dodge minivan. Now everyone in the drop off line has a CRV, RAV4, or Outback.
AnB9a

Post by AnB9a »

eye.surgeon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:12 pm The answer is a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV, whichever you can get your hands on as they are both tough to find.
Yes! I was thinking the same.
We purchased a RAV4 7 years ago when we had our first baby, it has served us well… still running strong.
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:30 pm

It's literally never been something that bothered us, like at all. Wife and I are in total agreement, and kids have never once said they wished we had a larger car (yeah, we have one - been 6yrs, although we are getting a 2nd car next spring/summer). At this point $20k is not a lot to us, but we can go on a lot of extra trips for that $20k and that's what we choose to use our finite resources for instead. If you feel differently, great.
I completely agree with this sentiment. DW & I had a convertible for our first 2. We moved up to a minivan for the 3rd and 4th and still have a hatchback as a runabout.

I would keep the Mazda 3 and get a less enormous car seat and a convenient, lightweight, high quality (typically not the luxury brands) stroller that is not huge. Having a compact, lightweight car seat and stroller pays off in so many other ways that I would recommend upgrading those regardless of the choice of car.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I agree. We have a CRV and an Accord. The CRV is fine. It fits car seats. It is fine for camping, skiing, and hauling bikes around. We like driving our Accord a lot better and that's the car we usually take places; the CRV is nice for the bigger trips but the Accord has a big trunk for everyday stuff. When we had one kid we had a Fit (also plenty of room for seats but that car I swear was bigger on the inside than the outside.)
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

No it’s not penny wise and pound foolish. And no, it’s not a punishment to go on a road-trip in a subcompact car. You may like paying 50k-80k for big luxury SUV. Others like to use that money on other things that they find value in. I grew up in a country that we didn’t even have cars, much less big SUV. Everyone did just fine then.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

H-Town wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:29 pm

No it’s not penny wise and pound foolish. And no, it’s not a punishment to go on a road-trip in a subcompact car. You may like paying 50k-80k for big luxury SUV. Others like to use that money on other things that they find value in. I grew up in a country that we didn’t even have cars, much less big SUV. Everyone did just fine then.
Before the “baby car seat” era, especially those seats with layers of added security that make them so bulky, and before cars can go from 0 to 100 mph in 5 seconds, back when the fastest car couldn’t do more than 50 mph as top speed, any car size has been more than enough for a family of 5. I grew up in a poor country and was crumbed with punch of at least other 12 kids in a 4 seat sedan which was the car that gets us to and from the school. Never heard about kids dying in horrible car accidents back then
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

My 2021 Foester Touring is a dream of a car for car seats. Go for it!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

When our 2nd little one was on the way we splurged on a Honda Odyssey. Was wrangling our toddler in and out of a Prius before.

Highly recommend the minivan. It’s just so easy getting the kids in and out with tons of room for the sometimes inexplicable amount of stuff they can require. I doubt you could get a new one for $35k, but we almost went with the Kia minivan which came in a little cheaper than the Honda.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

Telluride
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

gmc4h232 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:33 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:36 am Pre-owned '89 Chrysler LeBaron convertible.
Jon Voight's car?
BattyNatty

Post by BattyNatty »

Well I'm late to the party but with a recommendation I don't think anyone above has mentioned--a Kia Soul! It has shockingly good leg and head room, front and rear, doors like a small SUV, and as much cargo space as a small SUV. All that for ~$22k out the door. We bought one earlier this year and use it with a rear-facing car seat and a stroller in the back and love it. Just the right amount of car for us.

Actually bought it after putting together a spreadsheet of leg room, head room, cargo volume, etc and seeing how it just really outran the competition even before taking into account it's price.

Admittedly the look of the car isn't the fanciest, but we don't care about that (and I think their last couple years of models actually do look much nicer than prior years).
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:19 am
gmc4h232 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:33 pm
Jon Voight's car?
YES!!! :sharebeer
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:15 am
eye.surgeon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:12 pm The answer is a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV, whichever you can get your hands on as they are both tough to find.
One Toyota dealer in our area is no longer accepting cash payments, I would have to finance to get the car and a paying off the loan in full comes with a penalty if before 4 months! That’s how tough those cars are now. :(
Not accepting cash is bizarre. Huh

Anyway, I have Rav4s and like them. But taste in cars is quite variable, some test drives and experimenting with putting the car seat in various models seems like a good plan.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

BattyNatty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 am Well I'm late to the party but with a recommendation I don't think anyone above has mentioned--a Kia Soul! It has shockingly good leg and head room, front and rear, doors like a small SUV, and as much cargo space as a small SUV. All that for ~$22k out the door. We bought one earlier this year and use it with a rear-facing car seat and a stroller in the back and love it. Just the right amount of car for us.

Actually bought it after putting together a spreadsheet of leg room, head room, cargo volume, etc and seeing how it just really outran the competition even before taking into account it's price.

Admittedly the look of the car isn't the fanciest, but we don't care about that (and I think their last couple years of models actually do look much nicer than prior years).
How does it compare to the other big players with the reliability?
Faisal

Post by Faisal »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:28 pm Subaru Outback.

Works for us and half the families at our preschool. Safe, high, good visibility, right in your price range, and relatively reliable.
This. This 100% got 2 kids 5 and 2.5 - its perfect for the family. Great for long drives, great safety features. Our second car maybe a forester or an ascent.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I have the all-electric version of the Kia Niro, which is also available has a conventional hybrid (like Prius) or as a plug-in hybrid. It's a very practical car, and will offer a bit more room than the 3 while also offering more height (right in between sedans and compact SUVs). I highly recommend it.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Another thought is a mini-van. Not sure if you are considering more kids, but in any case ability to drive a group of kids to sports/whatever is helpful. I didn't love driving our Honda Odyssey, but it was certainly good for the group activities. And could haul lots of stuff around with the back seats gone. With the sliding doors very easy to get kids in/out.

But mini-vans *are* kind of big/awkward, have mediocre gas mileage, etc. So if not needed for your expected use cases, maybe not a good choice.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

I'm not saying every family should have a luxury SUV- I'm simply saying that people should buy the "right-sized" vehicle for their needs. I think most would agree a subcompact car for a family probably isn't a good choice...

A midsized crossover is a perfect fit for a family as it is versatile and comfortable for traveling with kids. Not to mention the cargo capacity for luggage/strollers/etc. A Toyota Highlander or the alike is a reasonable choice- not extravagant or superfluous.

I personally have always driven big vehicles so it's simply more natural for me to gravitate toward full-size trucks and SUV's but I realize they are not the right size for everyone. However with so many choices in today's market, any family should be able to find a vehicle that ticks all the boxes.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I'll echo the Subaru recommendations. They are hard to break (i.e. kid proof), extremely safe, economical, and have plenty of room. I think the Forester is easier to load kids in and out of compared to the Outback, only because it sits a little higher, but either is great. Plus, by the time your kids are ready to drive, the Subaru will probably still be running so you can give it to them as a first car!

PS: definitely don't get a luxury SUV with kids. It won't end well...
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:32 pm
VeryBlessedCali wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:30 pm Acura RDX/ MDX
Not new for $35k. However, Honda Pilot would also be a good choice that's very similar since you mentioned the MDX. Pilots are just fringy on that price range though. CRV (the RDX comp) is very popular too.

I see lots of RAV4s for families of 3 as well.
Got my brand new RDX this year for a little over $39k so a bit over the $35k budget. I got the AWD and some other options (heated seats, etc.) so you could probably come in closer to $35k with just the base model. Love the car. We looked at the CRV, too, and just did not like the way it looked (and it felt cheaper on the inside).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Workaholic wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:47 am However with so many choices in today's market, any family should be able to find a vehicle that ticks all the boxes.
Lots of choices, but not necessarily lots of actually available choices.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Workaholic wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:47 am

I'm not saying every family should have a luxury SUV- I'm simply saying that people should buy the "right-sized" vehicle for their needs. I think most would agree a subcompact car for a family probably isn't a good choice...

A midsized crossover is a perfect fit for a family as it is versatile and comfortable for traveling with kids. Not to mention the cargo capacity for luggage/strollers/etc. A Toyota Highlander or the alike is a reasonable choice- not extravagant or superfluous.

I personally have always driven big vehicles so it's simply more natural for me to gravitate toward full-size trucks and SUV's but I realize they are not the right size for everyone. However with so many choices in today's market, any family should be able to find a vehicle that ticks all the boxes.
"Penny wise and pound foolish" suggests that some of us are making an incorrect choice even though we have made it based upon our needs. Either somehow we've managed to get along great (with no complaints) our entire family life without a larger vehicle or you clearly have a different definition of "need" than I do (and there is nothing wrong with that). Maybe you should edit your post.

I was very clear in that OP's wants may be different than ours (and that is great), but I agree with others that deciding they need a larger vehicle based on the car seat issue is odd when a different car seat would solve the issue. If they want a larger car, get the larger car.
Rasputin13

Post by Rasputin13 »

If you're looking for an SUV with room and is great in winter, etc, there is nothing better than this:

https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/en ... linan.html
SouthGAJacket

Post by SouthGAJacket »

Honda Odyssey minivan. Best purchase I ever made. And not just for kids. I could take the seats out and haul as much as my old pickup. It was really a multi use vehicle. For the kids, the sliding door, the lowness to the ground, etc, we’re just awesome. And it drove like a champ. Had it for 15 years from ages 0 to 15. Traded in for a CRV and love that one now that it’s back to the 2 of us.
BattyNatty

Post by BattyNatty »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:46 am
BattyNatty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 am Well I'm late to the party but with a recommendation I don't think anyone above has mentioned--a Kia Soul! It has shockingly good leg and head room, front and rear, doors like a small SUV, and as much cargo space as a small SUV. All that for ~$22k out the door. We bought one earlier this year and use it with a rear-facing car seat and a stroller in the back and love it. Just the right amount of car for us.

How does it compare to the other big players with the reliability?
My conclusion was that it was equal enough that my luck (or lack thereof) with the specific unit I ended up with would be more determinative than it's brand. And Kia has a longer/better warranty than most so I felt good about what would happen if I got unlucky.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm
There's no need. There's plenty of reason.
Exactly. We have no kids at home and love driving a mid-size SUV. I'm not sure I'd ever go back to a sedan.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:33 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm
There's no need. There's plenty of reason.
Exactly. We have no kids at home and love driving a mid-size SUV. I'm not sure I'd ever go back to a sedan.
+2 Even if those reasons are not of value to me, clearly those who have chosen to drive larger cars in general had their reasons.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 am Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna. Especially if you are having a second child in the next few years.

The sliding doors make getting kids in and out much, much easier. A minivan has lots of cargo capacity as well, which comes in handy with a growing family.
This. This. From a father of two (3 and 1 years old). I don't see how a suv serves a young family better than a minivan with sliding doors...
The unexamined life is not worth living.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

achillesheel wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:48 am
Kenkat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 am Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna. Especially if you are having a second child in the next few years.

The sliding doors make getting kids in and out much, much easier. A minivan has lots of cargo capacity as well, which comes in handy with a growing family.
This. This. From a father of two (3 and 1 years old). I don't see how a suv serves a young family better than a minivan with sliding doors...
Because nobody wants to drive a minivan :D .

I jest...but in all reality...this is likely partly true for many families. Call it vanity or what have you, but minivans are simply not a vehicle many, particularly young families, want to have in their garage.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am
Workaholic wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:47 am

"Penny wise and pound foolish" suggests that some of us are making an incorrect choice even though we have made it based upon our needs. Either somehow we've managed to get along great (with no complaints) our entire family life without a larger vehicle or you clearly have a different definition of "need" than I do (and there is nothing wrong with that). Maybe you should edit your post.

I was very clear in that OP's wants may be different than ours (and that is great), but I agree with others that deciding they need a larger vehicle based on the car seat issue is odd when a different car seat would solve the issue. If they want a larger car, get the larger car.
Poor choice of words but my point is the same. I think buying the right-sized vehicle for a particular situation is the best decision. Buyers remorse is quite a bit more expensive than simply purchasing the vehicle you want in the first place. Many years ago I decided I was going to save $4000 and buy an extended cab pickup with the half-doors that wouldn't open unless the front doors were already opened. I thought saving that few thousand dollars was better than buying a crew cab that I didn't "need". Well...found out the hard way how inconvenient it was not having a full back seat...traded it less than 6 months later. Lost $6000 on the deal PLUS had to shell out the additional $4000 to get a crew cab. My not buying what I wanted in the first place cost me $10,000. Learned my lesson though...
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Another advantage of SUV/crossovers in the RAV4/CR-V/Forrester/Outback size range is safety. Driver death rates are statistically significantly lower than for sub compacts generally, check IIHS site (driver death rate stats, not IIHS collision test results which are designed to simulate a collision with another vehicle *the same size*).

That does not apply as much for really big SUV's v midsize ones, though it still tends generally to go down with increased size. A number of luxury SUV (and sedan) models have had literally zero driver deaths in the window of IIHS death rate stats, but that's partly smaller numbers (the statistical confidence band is wider) and probably the fact that luxury brand drivers tend to be exposed to or themselves create less risk (older, better off, suburban rather typically more dangerous rural roads and so forth). A recent thread though examined the hard to explain clear advantage of Outback even over RAV4 and CR-V in the driver death rate stats. 2017 stats, Outback had 3 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years, confidence interval 0-6; Corolla 54, confidence interval 27-81. I'm not going to try to explain that away as entirely due to things that don't apply to me though it's not 100% provable outside an impractical large scale scientific experiment of same exact real world driving situations by the exact same drivers. If I couldn't afford a new substantial size vehicle I'd go used, no subcompacts for us.

But using the word 'foolish', even in the context of a generally innocuous old saying, can get people's backs up. :happy
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Don't buy a brand new luxury SUV. You're going to have bodily fluids, dirt, and cereal all over it within a month anyway.
Baffles the mind. Guy says he wants a new car at $35k and people recommend luxury brands that start in the $40s and run up from there.

I want to reiterate the "go a bit cheaper on the car" mantra here. If you definitely want a new, that's your choice - but it is really hard seeing kids destroy your property. I do advise some sort of leather/imitation seat.

Not sure if you need 3 seats or planning on more kids, but I have always liked the Honda Pilot and it ranks high in Consumer Reports. If brand new is an absolute requirement, you'd have to check out the trim levels.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:40 am

Don't buy a brand new luxury SUV. You're going to have bodily fluids, dirt, and cereal all over it within a month anyway.
Baffles the mind. Guy says he wants a new car at $35k and people recommend luxury brands that start in the $40s and run up from there.

I want to reiterate the "go a bit cheaper on the car" mantra here. If you definitely want a new, that's your choice - but it is really hard seeing kids destroy your property. I do advise some sort of leather/imitation seat.

Not sure if you need 3 seats or planning on more kids, but I have always liked the Honda Pilot and it ranks high in Consumer Reports. If brand new is an absolute requirement, you'd have to check out the trim levels.
To be fair, some suggestions of eg. Lexus RX were a used one, and OP did say new was 'preferable' not required. A young family messing up a $35k car seems to me similar whether the car is new or used. I agree there's no clear reason to suggest to a person in this situation raise their budget (and without stepping down in room or going all stripped down I agree it could be a challenged to stay in the 40's out the door, new luxury brand). Not that there's anything inherently wrong with suggesting somebody spend more (or less) on cars, they can just ignore it if they don't agree. But in particular case of young family I think safe (above all, to me) new moderate price vehicle is the sweet spot. And based on my knowledge now I'd say Outback as several others have (I bought my then single daughter a CR-V a few years ago in a close call v. Forester, right around $30k out the door at that time).
Neuron

Post by Neuron »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:12 am

Before the “baby car seat” era, especially those seats with layers of added security that make them so bulky, and before cars can go from 0 to 100 mph in 5 seconds, back when the fastest car couldn’t do more than 50 mph as top speed, any car size has been more than enough for a family of 5. I grew up in a poor country and was crumbed with punch of at least other 12 kids in a 4 seat sedan which was the car that gets us to and from the school. Never heard about kids dying in horrible car accidents back then
Jus because you didn’t hear of the deaths didn’t mean they didn’t happen. Here is a link to the data for the US since the 70s. And another for safety stats related to child safety seat and restraint usage. Clearly there were more fatalities back in the “glory days”, which have been lessened with safety measures such as seatbelts, car seats, and advanced car features.
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-st ... l/children
https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafet ... sheet.html
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

JackoC wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:53 am
sureshoe wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:40 am

To be fair, some suggestions of eg. Lexus RX were a used one, and OP did say new was 'preferable' not required. A young family messing up a $35k car seems to me similar whether the car is new or used. I agree there's no clear reason to suggest to a person in this situation raise their budget (and without stepping down in room or going all stripped down I agree it could be a challenged to stay in the 40's out the door, new luxury brand). Not that there's anything inherently wrong with suggesting somebody spend more (or less) on cars, they can just ignore it if they don't agree. But in particular case of young family I think safe (above all, to me) new moderate price vehicle is the sweet spot. And based on my knowledge now I'd say Outback as several others have (I bought my then single daughter a CR-V a few years ago in a close call v. Forester, right around $30k out the door at that time).
People unrealistically tend to assume new cares are "better/safer" than older cars.

I'm probably a little snipey because you can literally look at almost any thread and there will be someone suggesting a complete left field suggestion.

"Hey, I want to learn how to swim, any suggestions on where to get lessons." Typical response: "OMG so lame, you should ride a bike!"
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

JackoC wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am

Another advantage of SUV/crossovers in the RAV4/CR-V/Forrester/Outback size range is safety. Driver death rates are statistically significantly lower than for sub compacts generally, check IIHS site (driver death rate stats, not IIHS collision test results which are designed to simulate a collision with another vehicle *the same size*).

That does not apply as much for really big SUV's v midsize ones, though it still tends generally to go down with increased size. A number of luxury SUV (and sedan) models have had literally zero driver deaths in the window of IIHS death rate stats, but that's partly smaller numbers (the statistical confidence band is wider) and probably the fact that luxury brand drivers tend to be exposed to or themselves create less risk (older, better off, suburban rather typically more dangerous rural roads and so forth). A recent thread though examined the hard to explain clear advantage of Outback even over RAV4 and CR-V in the driver death rate stats. 2017 stats, Outback had 3 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years, confidence interval 0-6; Corolla 54, confidence interval 27-81. I'm not going to try to explain that away as entirely due to things that don't apply to me though it's not 100% provable outside an impractical large scale scientific experiment of same exact real world driving situations by the exact same drivers. If I couldn't afford a new substantial size vehicle I'd go used, no subcompacts for us.

But using the word 'foolish', even in the context of a generally innocuous old saying, can get people's backs up. :happy
As far as I can tell, the car with the lowest measured death rate according to IIHS is the VW Golf, with a rate of 0.