In-N-Out Burger - Best Chain Fast Food Burger Joint?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

I dont know how good this burger is but it looks pretty yummy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8nJKa13sBo
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

SP-diceman wrote:When you get older you start worrying about what goes inside you.
Well, the name "In 'N' Out Burger" suggests it won't be inside long enough to do you much harm.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I think CNN reads the Bogleheads forums.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/04/16/bu ... travelthur
Unique burger joints in Georgia, Connecticut, Indiana, Mississippi and California

What are "slugburgers" or "Ghetto Burgers?" Who makes peanut butter burgers?

Louis' Lunch in Connecticut claims to be the birthplace of the American hamburger

Hodad's near San Diego, California, offers a bacon burger that's "just ridiculous"
Lake Living

Post by Lake Living »

When traveling out West I have tried In n Out, they are good.
Culver's in the Midwest are good.

The best fast food burger? That would have to be Sonic. Maybe it's just the car hops bringing them to you on roller skates that makes them taste so special.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

nisiprius wrote:
SP-diceman wrote:When you get older you start worrying about what goes inside you.
Well, the name "In 'N' Out Burger" suggests it won't be inside long enough to do you much harm.
I ate at this fine establishment once while in L.A. in med school.

Everything I put in me came straight out for the next week.

Aptly named, indeed.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

woof755 wrote: I ate at this fine establishment once while in L.A. in med school.

Everything I put in me came straight out for the next week.
You got a great bargain! Rarely will a single hamburger last for a whole week.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Alas, you underestimate.

The lingering psychological effects of that burger ("burger") will last a lifetime!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
preserve

Post by preserve »

The flagship In & Out next to UC Irvine is great. I think being next to the Taco Bell HQ has something to do with it also.

Very hard to beat. As for other locations, I'm not so happy.
craigr

Post by craigr »

I like Burgerville up in the Pacific NW best of all fast-food chains. Decent food, good seasonal menu items and locally sourced meat, vegetables and fruit.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

One of the best "fast" burgers I've had was at Big H in Salt Lake City. Hmmmm...

http://www.hiresbigh.com/
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Another vote for Five Guys. The only problem is that they have expanded so quickly over the last couple of years that a lot of the newer locations are pretty hit-and-miss, especially when it comes to patty quality. Their fries are always great, though.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Love me some In-n-Out. Anyone gone larger than 5x5?

Shake Shack here in NYC is also fantastic (though the lines are horrendous in the summer)
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gross
Gordon
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Like many of the others, I like 5 Guys. I usually don't eat fries so I can't comment on them.

I have never been to an In N Out.
RJSachs

Post by RJSachs »

canucknyc wrote: Anyone gone larger than 5x5?
This guy has.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

5 Guys vs In-n-Out review:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa ... t&resnum=3
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Five Guys Burgers from friends and media. So I packed up the family yesterday and drove from Fountain Valley to Cerritos to try this place out. Customer Service: Right off the bat, the guy behind the counter could tell we were fist timers. He gave us the quick tutorial and we were good to order. Regular bugers have 2 patties. "Little" burgers/cheeseburgers have 1 patty. Toppings are free so pack as many as you like on there. Their large fries = enough for 4 people. They give you a ton of fries. I also ordered a small side of Cajun Fries (those rock!). Wife & Kids had their Little Cheeseburgers + lettuce + tomatoes + ketchup. I had the regular Bacon Cheeseburger + mushrooms + grilled onions + mayo + ketchup + lettuce. My kids & wife kept saying = "In N Out" tastes much better, and I have to agree. Five Guys Burgers are good! but In N Out is great!. Also, my wife kept complaining that there was a "funny" taste to their fries. Turns out it was because their fries are fried in Peanut Oil. I'd give them a 10 out of 10 for Customer Service 10 out of 10 for Freshness 6.5 out of 10 for Taste 7 out of 10 Overall
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

In N Out is a good burger, and when i first moved to california, I went there a LOT. Now that I got that out of my system, I'm a little turned off by the usually huge crowds.

I've had the privilege of eating Five Guys' a few times, and it's definitely my favorite chain.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

While we are on the subject of extreme burgers, check out this video of the Heart Attack Grill.

http://tucsonsportriders.com/forums/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
grayfox

Re: In-N-Out Burger - Best Chain Fast Food Burger Joint?

Post by grayfox »

3CT_Paddler wrote:So I saw this article about In-N-Out Burger... http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 288029.htm and I thought I would ask if anyone had a better fast food burger joint? They kind of remind me of Chik-Fil-A in that they are typically well managed and have great, clean affordable food. When I was in Reno for a couple months I was always amazed at the constant long line outside this place. Apparently managers usually make over $100k and typical workers make $10/hr... :shock: . But it shows in how well run they are and I guess they can still make a profit after all of that. I just wish they had a couple of those in the South :D
In-N-Out Burger is not fast food, it is real food.

All the big fast food chains offer fake processed chemical products that resemble food which are manufactured in factories and shipped to the stores and then heated up. Reference the book Fast Food Nation.

In-N-Out Burger is like an old fashioned hamburger joint that sells real hamburgers made only from meat, real french fries made on the spot from whole potatoes, real grilled onions made from onions, real shakes made from ice cream.

So you can choose to feed you family real food like In-N-Out Burger, or you can poison them at a fast food chain store and then wonder why your children are obese.
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

grayfox wrote:In-N-Out Burger is like an old fashioned hamburger joint that sells real hamburgers made only from meat, real french fries made on the spot from whole potatoes, real grilled onions made from onions, real shakes made from ice cream.

So you can choose to feed you family real food like In-N-Out Burger, or you can poison them at a fast food chain store and then wonder why your children are obese.
That's so absurd you can't possibly be serious. So your kids won't get fat if they eat "real food" like In-N-Out Burger? I can go eat a burger, fries, and a shake made from "real ice cream" and I'll be just fine because it's "real" food? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

SoonerSunDevil wrote:
grayfox wrote:In-N-Out Burger is like an old fashioned hamburger joint that sells real hamburgers made only from meat, real french fries made on the spot from whole potatoes, real grilled onions made from onions, real shakes made from ice cream.

That's so absurd you can't possibly be serious. So your kids won't get fat if they eat "real food" like In-N-Out Burger? I can go eat a burger, fries, and a shake made from "real ice cream" and I'll be just fine because it's "real" food? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Yes, you can eat at In-N-Out Burger and not get fat. I know people that went there regularly while on a diet and lost 30 pounds. They ordered the burgers wrapped in lettuce without the bun. And kids are less likely to get fat if they eat natural foods because they will eat less of it.

All the chemicals in fast food like HFCS shut down the appetite suppression mechanism so people are never satisfied and overeat. That is one of the reasons they get fat. The "meat" in big chain hamburgers are pumped with HFCS as are the fries. The food has been engineered to make you want to consume more and more so they have more sales and higher profits. I see kids come out of McD's and half an hour later they are buying a bag of chips or other junk food. Why is that? They just ate a 1000 calorie meal and drank 32 ounnces of Coke and they're still hungry? The result is America is full of overweight children.

On the other hand, if you eat one normal-sized In-N-Out Burger burger you will not be hungry again for 6 hours.

Just don't let the kids drink soda pop at In-N-Out Burger or anywhere. Soft drink companies do the same thing to get you to drink more. Ever wonder why a standard serving of soft drink went from 6-1/2 ounces to 10 oz to 12 to 16 to 20 to 32 to the Big-Gulp-sized monster drinks? They are feeding you chemicals to make you want to consume more and more.
VTSMX

Post by VTSMX »

harland wrote:
mtl325 wrote:5 guys is my favorite greasy burger. In-n-Out is my favorite non-greasy burger. Two very different animals and impossible to compare.
I cast my vote for Five Guys. I've eaten at an In-N-Out too, but I think Five Guys has them beat.
+1 for Five Guys here as well. It is required eating in DC. Although, I'd like to try In-N-Out next time I am out West.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Don Gorske has eaten 23000 Big Macs and seems to be doing fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske
stratton

Post by stratton »

Ricola wrote:Don Gorske has eaten 23000 Big Macs and seems to be doing fine.
He could hang out with Warren Buffet and drink Cherry Coke with him. :wink:

Paul
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi,
After reading about Five Guys, I decided to try them. There is not one very close to me, but it is within reason. Well, from this one experience. I prefer In-N-Out. I'll try Fat Burger next.
Best Wishes, | Joe
yesosaka

Post by yesosaka »

After catching Yellow Fever as a young man during my military service, I gave up American burgers.

All I eat now is Asian. One can eat Asian all night and never get full.
black jack

Post by black jack »

yesosaka wrote:After catching Yellow Fever as a young man during my military service, I gave up American burgers.

All I eat now is Asian. One can eat Asian all night and never get full.
Not sure if you're talking about food or not; either way, what's true of Asian is also true of American (European, etc).

As for food, is that supposed to be a virtue, that you can eat Asian food all night and never get full?

"Chinese food, heh; starve to death in seven courses."

Given the diversity of dishes available under the category of Asian food, that is nearly the equivalent of saying "One can eat food all night and never get full." Both of which are true, if you choose carefully (or self-denyingly). However, it does not seem to mean that you can eat as much Asian food as you like and never get fat:
Gluckman, Peter D., Seng, Chong Y., Fukuoka, Hideoki, Beedle, Alan S. and Hanson, Mark A. (2007) Low birthweight and subsequent obesity in Japan. Lancet, 369, (9567), 1081-1082. wrote:The Lancet's World Report (Feb 10, p 451)1 rightly highlights the growing epidemic of obesity in Japan—a pattern that is also seen in other Asian countries and which might be of concern for future patterns of disease, given that susceptibility to the metabolic consequences of obesity seems to be higher in some Asian populations. There can be no doubt that this increasing prevalence of obesity is driven by changing patterns of nutrition and exercise, but there might also be other factors worthy of consideration.
For those of us eating Asian food stateside, consider the nutritional report on Chinese restaurant food, for example: http://www.cspinet.org/nah/chinese.html
When it comes to eating out, Americans love Chinese. And Chinese restaurants deserve credit for keeping a lid on saturated and trans fat, thanks to vegetable oil, no cheese, and a host of seafood, poultry, and (hooray!) vegetable dishes. (While the sat fat in some dishes seems high, the unsaturated fat in their oil lowers bad cholesterol more than the oil’s saturated fat raises bad cholesterol.)

But Chinese restaurant food is loaded with salt and—if you’re not careful—delivers a load of calories, thanks to its oil, noodles, and deep-fried batter or breading.
I love Asian food, from dum ka murg to bul go gi, but I still love burgers too. Five Guys is only okay, and I haven't tried In-n-Out yet. I'd rather have a diner burger anyway.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
socca

Post by socca »

FWIW, the National Association of Cardiologists has strongly endorsed a diet consisting entirely of 'fast food' (pick your brand - it doesn't matter) to ensure the future financial health of ... cardiologists. Arteries? Who needs 'em? 8)
black jack

Post by black jack »

Marketplace did a story on In-n-Out yesterday; sounds like a good company.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/disp ... n_n_out_q/
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
eas

Post by eas »

fishndoc wrote:
mtl325 wrote:5 guys is my favorite greasy burger. In-n-Out is my favorite non-greasy burger. Two very different animals and impossible to compare.
A NON-GREASY hamburger???? Sacreligous. :)

Seriously Paddler, it's not a chain, but if you are a burger lover, next time you are in Atlanta, try Ann's Snack Bar on Memorial Drive - it was voted the best Hamburger in the US by Wallstreet Journal (don't ask me what they know about burgers).

Here is a description of her most ordered offering:
"try Ann Price’s Ghetto Burger. Each burger has two beef patties that can be topped with anything form bacon, chili, cheese or slaw (slaw-topped burgers are called “Hood Burgers”)"

Wayne
I personally think that place is a gimmick. There are better places for burgers in Atlanta, in my opinion. It is, however, a cool place to go to for an out of the world experience that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

dual

BK Jr. fan

Post by dual »

I hope this is not sacrilegious but I am a fan of BurgerKing Jr.s. They are on their value menu so they only cost a buck and you can have it your way. I like lettuce, tomato, and pickles only--no mayo or catsup. Then I ask them for some mustard. INO's burgers cost a lot more plus they are too dry and overcooked. I hardly ever eat Fries but BKs are also better- lighter, crisper, and served hotter. Plus fast service and seldom more than 1 customer ahead of you. All in all a much more enjoyable experience.
INDUBITABLY

Post by INDUBITABLY »

I've eaten at In-N-Out before, and it's alright, but I prefer Big Kahuna Burger when I'm on the West Coast.
"Ah ha! Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!" - Dr. Zoidberg
graveday

Post by graveday »

Alex Frakt wrote:Image
First time I saw this in SoCal I didn't know about the burger joint. Still don't know about the burger.
Isn't "chain" and "fast" in the same line redundant?
ramsfan

Post by ramsfan »

LOVE In 'n Out Burger. Wish they were everywhere.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

Jalapeno burger from Carl's Jr
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

gw

Post by gw »

I'm pretty sure people just like saying "double double animal style."

All burgers are delicious.
scpo

in-and out fast food

Post by scpo »

Where's the beef, I agree with RICOLA
That's the question I ask I/O Sonic any of these that put real L/T/O by time you bite thru those you've got ask where's the beef. You've got to order double what ever.
What burger is another story I'll never forget the 1st time we ate one. We had just entered TX on our way to Kingsville Tx on Navy orders and pulled into one we ordered 2 each not knowing any better. The order taker asked if we were sure. we said yes what a surprise.
Theres one here in Apache Junction it's they only one I know of here in E.Mesa Az.
We've got the Giant Hamburger place also.
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

canucknyc wrote: Anyone gone larger than 5x5?
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

grayfox wrote: Yes, you can eat at In-N-Out Burger and not get fat. I know people that went there regularly while on a diet and lost 30 pounds. They ordered the burgers wrapped in lettuce without the bun. And kids are less likely to get fat if they eat natural foods because they will eat less of it.
There are several stories of people dieting on McDonald's so that's hardly special to In-N-Out. You can diet while eating any food. I know someone who dieted in college while drinking only beer (6-8/day) and eating nothing else.
All the chemicals in fast food like HFCS shut down the appetite suppression mechanism so people are never satisfied and overeat. That is one of the reasons they get fat. The "meat" in big chain hamburgers are pumped with HFCS as are the fries.
This is completely unsupported by any evidence whatsoever.
On the other hand, if you eat one normal-sized In-N-Out Burger burger you will not be hungry again for 6 hours.
That's not true in my experience either. I need more like 2 burgers...
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I really miss Kidd Valley from Seattle.... are they still there?
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I've tried 5 Guys, Fatburger, What-A-Burger, Fuddruckers, and all the mainstream places. But nobody is as good as In-N-Out. I eat there whenever I'm in Cali or Vegas.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

For anyone who may have missed this report on NBC's "World News " last evening:

Some Of Your Favorite Foods Are Really Bad

Mike
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Just made my first and last trip to In N Out. The burger was OK, not quite on par with Whataburger or Wendy's, but passable. My question though is what is the deal with those fries? They were absolutely horrid. I have never eaten a more indescribably tasteless, tofuish, spongiform-like abomination of a lump of crap in my life... In N Out is definitely OVERRATED.
lazydavid

Re:

Post by lazydavid »

DSInvestor wrote:
gravlax wrote:double double animal style.
double double animal style with hot peppers.
Amateurs. :P 4x2 protein style, mustard grilled with chopped chilis and whole grilled onion. :mrgreen:

In other news: Holy zombie thread, Batman!
Last edited by lazydavid on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarguy

Re:

Post by guitarguy »

DSInvestor wrote:
gravlax wrote:double double animal style.
double double animal style with hot peppers.
My man. 8-)

Whattaburger and Culvers are also really good.

Dairy Queen is also surprisingly good.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

lazydavid wrote:In other news: Holy zombie thread, Batman!
FYI - Crimsontide has resurrected a 2009 thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Burger - Best Chain Fast Food Burger Joint?

Yes it is.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

LadyGeek wrote:
lazydavid wrote:In other news: Holy zombie thread, Batman!
FYI - Crimsontide has resurrected a 2009 thread.
Sorry, it's was the horrible tasting fries that made me do it, I mean those things are inedible...like little tofu infused cardboard crap stripes...