Small gap under frameless shower door

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Small gap under frameless shower door

Post by BashDash »

Hi all!

Thanks for all the help in the past with my many questions!

The title says it all. Underneath the shower sweep of the frameless shower door there is a small gap causing water leakage.
It must be smaller than 1/4 inch because I purchased this on amazon but it wouldn't allow the the door to open and close properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Wide-High-Acryli ... 70&sr=8-21

I can't seem to find anything below that 1/4 inch height. I know I also have to investigate the water damage this may have caused to nearby molding and caulking.

I'm not really that handy so I've even had the thought of just putting a layer of clear silicone under the door to help stop the water but I'm not thinking that is a good idea. Thanks!!!!
JoeRetire

Re: Small gap under frameless shower door

Post by JoeRetire »

BashDash wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pmUnderneath the shower sweep of the frameless shower door there is a small gap causing water leakage.
See if you can replace the sweep with one sized properly.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

BashDash wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pm Hi all!

Thanks for all the help in the past with my many questions!

The title says it all. Underneath the shower sweep of the frameless shower door there is a small gap causing water leakage.
It must be smaller than 1/4 inch because I purchased this on amazon but it wouldn't allow the the door to open and close properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Wide-High-Acryli ... 70&sr=8-21

I can't seem to find anything below that 1/4 inch height. I know I also have to investigate the water damage this may have caused to nearby molding and caulking.

I'm not really that handy so I've even had the thought of just putting a layer of clear silicone under the door to help stop the water but I'm not thinking that is a good idea. Thanks!!!!
How about 3/16"?

https://www.amazon.com/Navaris-Semicirc ... B08QZD61GY
HoberMallow

Post by HoberMallow »

Here is basically the same thing that RetiredAL posted for 1/3 the price.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rods/shape~half-round/

They will charge you for shipping though, so it may end up about the same.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! For some reason I didn't see that option....
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

If and only if the door swings "one way" only, there's the option of installing a clear acrylic strip (use silicone) on the in swing side that just touches the threshold or overlaps it depending on the clearance and alignments. Thus water flows down the door, over the acrylic chamfered/radiused edge, then falls inside the shower.
If it doesn't work, just scrape it off and clean the glass.

Just an idea not knowing or seeing a picture of your setup so it may or may not apply.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks Sandtrap! It is a door that "swings one way only". The current door sweep has a plastic piece doing exactly what you describe but it still leaves a tiny gap.

Also, I see some of the nearby molding has caulking that is discolored and it is warping a little bit. Should I be concerned for mold? I'm guessing that whole piece of molding under the threshold needs to be replaced. I was contemplating just cutting out the discolored caulk and re-caulking it. With a sealed door the problem should disappear.