Favorite audible books to fall asleep listening to

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EveryDayI'mBoglein'

Favorite audible books to fall asleep listening to

Post by EveryDayI'mBoglein' »

*This thread is not about anything medical/health related, please stay on topic so that thread is not locked*

I love listening to podcasts as I fall asleep, but the advertisements and obnoxious intro/sound effects/segment breakers really startle me. I am excited to explore some audible books.

What are some of your favorite audio books to relax and fall asleep to? I enjoy history, sci-fi, sports, but am open to any suggestions.
JoMoney

Re: Favorite audible books to fall asleep listening to

Post by JoMoney »

I too like listening to podcasts while I fall asleep. I have not found audio books to be as enjoyable that way, if the story interests me I pay too much attention (or otherwise creates a mental stir) and isn't helpful getting to sleep. It's also a hassle trying to find the spot where I left off before falling asleep when picking it back up.
FWIW, I like falling asleep to Clark Howard's consumer/finance podcast. It's interesting and pleasant enough to listen to, but doesn't generate much mental stir. The Boglehead podcast would probably work in this regard too, but they don't have new episodes available as frequently.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

JoMoney wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:12 am I too like listening to podcasts while I fall asleep. I have not found audio books to be as enjoyable that way, if the story interests me I pay too much attention (or otherwise creates a mental stir) and isn't helpful getting to sleep. It's also a hassle trying to find the spot where I left off before falling asleep when picking it back up.
FWIW, I like falling asleep to Clark Howard's consumer/finance podcast. It's interesting and pleasant enough to listen to, but doesn't generate much mental stir.
+1
Good point!
If the audio book, etc, is worth listening to, then one stays awake. If it's boring and uninteresting, then yes, a sleep aid.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I like the Jeeves and Wooster audiobooks by P. G. Wodehouse, narrated by Jonathan Cecil.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
30west

Post by 30west »

I have been using this technique for the last few years as a way to fall asleep. It works great. I also recuce the playback speed to 80%. Very sleep inducing. I like listening to Simon Winchester. He's British and his vioce is soothing. I search for books by voice actor, as opposed to author because the voice makes all the difference. Checkout Ralph Cosham, Robertson Dean, Jeff DeMunn.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Sleep with me Podcast.

http://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com
Topic Author
EveryDayI'mBoglein'

Post by EveryDayI'mBoglein' »

30west wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am I have been using this technique for the last few years as a way to fall asleep. It works great. I also recuce the playback speed to 80%. Very sleep inducing. I like listening to Simon Winchester. He's British and his vioce is soothing. I search for books by voice actor, as opposed to author because the voice makes all the difference. Checkout Ralph Cosham, Robertson Dean, Jeff DeMunn.
[/quote

I just downloaded Simon Winchester - The Men Who United the States
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I too find podcasts preferable to audiobooks. When I start the podcast, I immediately fast forward through the first 1-2 minutes (depending on the podcast) to avoid the intro music and ads. I set the sleep timer to stop playing in 30 minutes or at the end of the podcast. I do not play podcasts for this purpose with ads that are pop up during the middle of the podcast.