Windshield replacement - options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vveat

Windshield replacement - options?

Post by vveat »

In the big New Jersey storm last night, a branch fell on our car in the driveway and punctured the windshield (spiderweb fracture). This is a new car, the old one was totaled during hurricane Ida less than 2 months ago.

We got a quote today from Safelite and also from our local Mercedes dealer and are trying to decide which one to go with and whether to involve insurance
1. Safelite's quote was way lower than the dealer - $850 (parts, labor, recalibration), while the dealer said something like $1600 and we are not sure if they included the recalibration. Is there a reason to go with the dealership? Safelite is reputable and specialized in this, are we missing something?
2. We have deductible of $1000 - and the annual policy is near the end, so it's not like we'll be able to leverage the paid deductible if something else happens. So we'll likely use it only if we go with the dealer. But does this mean they will count 2 claims against us in the same period, even though different cars and both cases nature-related damage? (we haven't had a claim in quite a few years otherwise)

Thanks!
niagara_guy

Re: Windshield replacement - options?

Post by niagara_guy »

This is a comprehensive claim, not collision, right?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Since its essentially a brand new car, I'd go with OEM if your insurance will not ding you for filing a claim.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Not a big fan of Safelite, but they used OEM glass for my 4Runner windshield replacement.

Not a big fan because I took my vehicle in for chip repair, and they damaged the windshield so it had to be replaced. No issues with install of new windshield.
Last edited by StevieG72 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

To be clear, your comprehensive deductible is $1000?
Topic Author
vveat

Post by vveat »

bob60014 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 am To be clear, your comprehensive deductible is $1000?
Yes, as far as I know branch falling on car would be comprehensive. And we have $1000 deductibles on both collision and comprehensive.
The previous claim for the old totaled car was also comprehensive, flooding. But the deductibles are paid each claim (I think), so it shouldn't matter, right?

Is there a reason to think insurance would treat 2 comprehensives in one year differently than 2 collisions for example? In terms of raising premiums?

Btw, it's not a brand new car, it's just new to us. We got a 2018 GLE350. Indeed a bit more willing to go outside of OEM for repairs, but only reliable vendors.
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer doesn't outsource the windshield replacement, perhaps even to Safelite. Why don't you ask the dealer and see what they say. That should make the decesion easier.

plannerman
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

vveat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 am
bob60014 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 am To be clear, your comprehensive deductible is $1000?
Yes, as far as I know branch falling on car would be comprehensive. And we have $1000 deductibles on both collision and comprehensive.
The previous claim for the old totaled car was also comprehensive, flooding. But the deductibles are paid each claim (I think), so it shouldn't matter, right?

Is there a reason to think insurance would treat 2 comprehensives in one year differently than 2 collisions for example? In terms of raising premiums?

Btw, it's not a brand new car, it's just new to us. We got a 2018 GLE350. Indeed a bit more willing to go outside of OEM for repairs, but only reliable vendors.
I think they were just double checking because most comprehensive deductibles are lower than collision. For instance, my collision is $1,000 but my comprehensive is $200.

The other option on my policy was $500 for collision and $100 for comprehensive. (USAA).
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I would have the dealer replace it. If something goes wrong later with the cameras or other sensors attached to the windshield then the dealer might try to blame Safelite and deny a repair what would otherwise be covered under your car's warranty.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

That's a good price from Safelite - if it were me, I would go with them. They can do the recalibration there. In fact, my experience after having gone through a windshield replacement recently is that they are one of the only places that can do the re-cal outside of the dealer. They also provide a warranty on their work.

As far as OEM goes, if the car manufacturer recommends OEM that they will purchase the OEM replacement windshield. I have a Honda and that's what they did in my case.

Overall they do a decent job - have not noticed any differences in car operation after the replacement vs before. Only real issue was it took like a month or so to get the replacement windshield, thanks to all of the supply chain shortages.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

vveat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:58 pm In the big New Jersey storm last night, a branch fell on our car in the driveway and punctured the windshield (spiderweb fracture). This is a new car, the old one was totaled during hurricane Ida less than 2 months ago.

We got a quote today from Safelite and also from our local Mercedes dealer and are trying to decide which one to go with and whether to involve insurance
1. Safelite's quote was way lower than the dealer - $850 (parts, labor, recalibration), while the dealer said something like $1600 and we are not sure if they included the recalibration. Is there a reason to go with the dealership? Safelite is reputable and specialized in this, are we missing something?
2. We have deductible of $1000 - and the annual policy is near the end, so it's not like we'll be able to leverage the paid deductible if something else happens. So we'll likely use it only if we go with the dealer. But does this mean they will count 2 claims against us in the same period, even though different cars and both cases nature-related damage? (we haven't had a claim in quite a few years otherwise)

Thanks!
My Mercedes dealership service manager always tells me to take my glass issues directly to Safelite because that is what they do. Honest guy. Safelite has been excellent.
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

I have high deductibles but glass is full coverage so never paid deductible. 2 glass claims on two different cars didn’t affect rate. Get OEM glass.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Isn't glass comp, do why would that impact your premium. Many dealers just take their glass work to Safelite.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I Used an independent guy to replace a windshield several years ago. Much cheaper than Safelite and finished product was excellent.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I just had the windshield in my 2022 Kia Telluride replaced by Safelite. Here in CO, where they put down gravel on snow/ice, chipped and cracked windshields are a way of life. I’ve had multiple repairs and replacements done by Safelite and always been happy with the results. (FYI - here in CO you can choose a glass coverage deductible that is much lower and doesn’t impact your premiums too much. Mine is $100) I have USAA insurance and they partner with Safelite for repairs (although you can choose a different vendor if you want.) They did an excellent job and recalibrated it so everything works perfectly. I never go to the dealer for anything other than warranty work. Getting a windshield at the dealership is like getting new tires at the dealership, you are just going to pay double what it should cost and it will take twice as long to boot.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

I live in SC and the state requires insurance companies to replace windshields with no deductible, probably because they haven’t kept the roads maintained. Safe lite did my last two with no issues.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

My daughter just had the windshield on the Subaru Impreza replaced. She needed to OEM windshield because of the sensors installed in the glass. I think the glass shop told her that they could order OEM glass and install it, but she would have to take it to the Subaru dealer to adjust the sensors (recalibration?). She ended up just having the entire job done at the dealership.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

GO TO THE DEALER...Benz windshields can be tricky...also...perhaps its time to consider moving to a safer climate...damn...thats a tough stretch you have been dealing with..wish you the best!
OhTheHueManatee

Post by OhTheHueManatee »

You should call your insurance. IIRC, some policies include windshield replacements without having to pay a deductible.

I had a windshield repaired at Safelite yesterday. I'm happy with the results.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

plannerman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:52 am I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer doesn't outsource the windshield replacement, perhaps even to Safelite. Why don't you ask the dealer and see what they say. That should make the decesion easier.
As others also suggested, and that's possible. Anyway even if not, no reason to think a dealer is better for that work than Safelite even on a relatively new expensive car. It's not 'hole in the wall' guy quoting much less than Safelite. It's not true in *every* case that luxury car dealers charge you near double for (at best) the same quality of parts and labor on repairs and maintenance, but it can be and this would be a likely case IMO.

Though the stuff about deductible and future premium I don't know. When I replaced BMW 328i's windshield a few years ago at Safelite it was covered by Geico with no deductible, as per Safelite TV commercials for 'most insurance'. It was also much less, around $400 IIRC though no tech stuff related to the windshield except rain sensitive wipers. I did not notice any impact from that, and two chip repairs in a few years, that car and an M2, on premiums.