What to watch during lunch and dinner?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kurious

What to watch during lunch and dinner?

Post by kurious »

Hello Bogleheads,

I seek ideas on things to watch while having lunch and dinner during weekdays. This post comes from watching too much mindless Television over the last few weeks (Grimm on Amazon Video for anyone curious). FWIW, I consider it time (very) well spent when watching something made craftily. For example, the best show I think I have ever watched is Better Call Saul. I have no regrets about devoting hours to watching and analyzing it; but I would like it to be a weekend fare. My goal is to keep the weekday TV watching limited and mildly useful if possible.

Following is some context:

1. Both DW and I work from home and will continue to do so in the near future. The only time when we watch Television typically is while having lunch and dinner. We watch 20-30 minutes of TV during lunch and an hour or more during dinner.

2. I am looking for content that is both informative and entertaining.

3. We don't watch news and live sports. We get our news from 15-20 min satire shows on YouTube.

4. We allow ourselves to have only one streaming service subscription at any given time. We currently have Amazon Video but DW wants to switch to Netflix. I am agnostic generally but think Netflix has better shows and documentaries.

5. I am interested in most things educational, informative, and/or humorous. DW wants to watch something that is more on the entertaining side.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

kurious
Metsfan91

Re: What to watch during lunch and dinner?

Post by Metsfan91 »

Discovery channel! There is always something to watch!!! Informative and fun!

Or stand-up comedy on youtube. Get to laugh your heart out.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Classic game shows on Amazon prime.

What’s My Line is fun.

Clever, witty, intelligent banter, with celebrities that actually were intelligent and intellect was aspirational.

Nothing like the vulgar, snarky drivel that is on now.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Educational YouTube channels. Some of my favorites:

Veritassium (science)
Practical Engineering
The B1M (construction engineering)
Colby Explanes (aviation)
Wendover Productions (logistics)
Economics Explained
How Money Works
The Money Guys

Mostly 15-25 minute videos, except the last one, which usually runs an hour.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
celia

Post by celia »

kurious wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm I seek ideas on things to watch while having lunch and dinner during weekdays.
Pick up your food and go outside to eat. Have a picnic in your yard or at the park. Watch nature change, or a bird looking for your leftovers . . .

Take your dessert or coffee to the front steps and say ‘Hi, how’s it going’ to anyone who goes by and start a conversation if they don’t seem in a hurry.

Take a walk after that heavy meal and walk some of it off. While walking, chat up the dog walkers and parents with little kids. What will they be for Hallowe’en? Who has new decorations this year?

In other words, there’s a whole world out there besides TV. Maybe you’ll learn something new from your DW or find an interesting neighbor. Being socialable is healthier than watching TV.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Squid games on Netflix.
That said, my wife and I usually just eat lunch on our deck.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Do you have HULU? If so, take a look at Lodge 49. It's a great well crafted comedy series (unfortunately, only two seasons). Hilarious. I'm nearing last two episodes and hoping they reinvigorate it on Netflix sometime. Enjoy. :sharebeer

Edit: As it was an AMC program, it may be available on-demand via AMC.....
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 am Do you have HULU? If so, take a look at Lodge 49. It's a great well crafted comedy series (unfortunately, only two seasons). Hilarious. I'm nearing last two episodes and hoping they reinvigorate it on Netflix sometime. Enjoy. :sharebeer

Edit: As it was an AMC program, it may be available on-demand via AMC.....
Speaking of Hulu, my wife and I really enjoyed Only Murders in the Building. Fun show.
namajones

Post by namajones »

kurious wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm What to watch during lunch and dinner?
1. Your food.
2. Each other.
3. Nothing.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

namajones wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:58 am
kurious wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm What to watch during lunch and dinner?
1. Your food.
2. Each other.
3. Nothing.
Yeah I have to agree here even though it's unsolicited relationship advice. No TV during family meals. No phone allowed at the table. Talk to each other!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 am
Yeah I have to agree here even though it's unsolicited relationship advice. No TV during family meals. No phone allowed at the table. Talk to each other!
Those are our rules. Hard rules. Plus, landline goes to VM. Otherwise, why eat together?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

YouTube has some great documentary creators:

Curious Droid
ColdFusion
Kurzgesagt
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

I like the following:
celia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:38 am ... In other words, there’s a whole world out there besides TV. Maybe you’ll learn something new from your DW or find an interesting neighbor. Being socialable is healthier than watching TV.
How about inviting friends over for dinner? I heard that this is something people used to do, back in the old days.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:46 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 am
Those are our rules. Hard rules. Plus, landline goes to VM. Otherwise, why eat together?
+1
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
mhc

Post by mhc »

celia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:38 am In other words, there’s a whole world out there besides TV. Maybe you’ll learn something new from your DW or find an interesting neighbor. Being socialable is healthier than watching TV.
I agree with this 100%, especially when one works from home. Every day I quickly eat my lunch, so I can go on a walk with my dog. It gets me outside, some exercise, and time to socialize with neighbors. This has replaced the water cooler conversations that I use to have in the office. I have met a neighbor that is an artist who works out of his garage. I always enjoy stopping by and chatting with him.

I love to marvel at the beauty of looking across the lake and seeing the mountains, especially right now with all the fall colors. I love watching the pelicans, geese, hawks, cormorants, robins, jays, .... It is good for the soul.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

We like "Ridiculousness" where the host shows and comments on funny videos from online. Very light fare and never fails to make us laugh.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

kurious wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm 1. Both DW and I work from home and will continue to do so in the near future. The only time when we watch Television typically is while having lunch and dinner. We watch 20-30 minutes of TV during lunch and an hour or more during dinner.
My wife and I are retired. We often have things to do that take us away from each other during the day, so don't have all that many lunches together. And some of our meals are eaten away from home or with friends.

But when we do eat breakfast, lunch or dinner together at home we use the time to enjoy the meal and talk to each other about our day. No television.

When I eat at home alone, I usually read. Occasionally, I'll put the television on, and tend to watch ESPN.
5. I am interested in most things educational, informative, and/or humorous. DW wants to watch something that is more on the entertaining side.
Take turns selecting what to watch.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

kurious wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm For example, the best show I think I have ever watched is Better Call Saul.
Have you watched the show that Saul is a prequel/sequel to, Breaking Bad?
Casper

Post by Casper »

So many judgmental responses about not watching TV during meals. Give the OP a break. They both work from home and presumably see each other all day, and are able to talk, go outside, etc. They only watch TV during meals, on weekdays. The rest of their day, evening, and weekend is open for conversation and quality time with each other.

I don't know about OP or anyone else, but after 20 months of being at home all day with my wife, sometimes there's just not that much to talk about at the end of the day, and we welcome a chance to relax over a good TV show at dinnertime.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

You lost me at "good TV show" :P

World series starts at 8 so we have temporarily moved dinner to 7.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Schitt's Creek
Life in Pieces
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, discussion became contentious and judgmental, and a thread already exists on the same subject). Several posts were removed. See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
OP, please see the thread pinned at the top of this forum entitled: Subject: Compendium of general consumer issues threads
There is a section listing the threads on entertainment: