Navigating in another language

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zanza

Navigating in another language

Post by zanza »

Dear Hive Mind,

I didn't see a thread on this....

...what to do in another country situation (gas station/restaurant/hotel) where, altho you know some basic phrases in the languages, you need to understand a question & respond? Is there an app for that? Google translate in real time? How rude is that? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Z
SRenaeP

Re: Navigating in another language

Post by SRenaeP »

As with most things, it depends. In my experience, rudimentary phrases (sometimes looked up in advance on Google Translate) and gesturing will suffice for simple tasks. There have only been a few occasions where I real time looked something up on Google Translate. It didn't seem to be perceived as rude but rather somewhat relieved to find a way to communicate more effectively.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Yes, there is an app for that. Google translate. Or you could use a phrasebook. I guess you have to decide for yourself if google translate is rude. Why would it be rude? If you think so then best to look up the phrase and pronounce it yourself.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

zephyr2114 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 am ...what to do in another country situation (gas station/restaurant/hotel) where, altho you know some basic phrases in the languages, you need to understand a question & respond? Is there an app for that? Google translate in real time? How rude is that? Other suggestions?
As always, it depends.

For example, if this is a short duration, vacation kind of thing, where understanding, precision, and correctness aren't all that important, Google Translate or a phrasebook makes sense.
If this is a longer term, work thing, get some language instruction in addition.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It depends a lot on where you are going. There are some (non-native-English-speaking) countries where the average level of spoken English is probably higher than in much of America. In many places, especially ones frequented by tourists (e.g., big cities, hotels serving tourists), you're likely to get by fine on English. It's still nice to learn some phrases in the local language for hello, thank you, etc.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

zephyr2114 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 am Dear Hive Mind,

I didn't see a thread on this....

...what to do in another country situation (gas station/restaurant/hotel) where, altho you know some basic phrases in the languages, you need to understand a question & respond? Is there an app for that? Google translate in real time? How rude is that? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Z
In Asia, I suspect, Google Translate would not be seen as rude. Asian societies are very tech savvy, more so than western ones, I think.

Europe? It depends. Western Europe these days almost all the young people speak some English (even France, Spain, Italy). Eastern Europe too. I think people might find it odd rather than rude - cut you slack as foreigners.

On the other hand, Glasgow... they are just going to look at you and repeat themselves in simple clear Glaswegian. Good luck! ;-)
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

02nz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am It depends a lot on where you are going. There are some (non-native-English-speaking) countries where the average level of spoken English is probably higher than in much of America. In many places, especially ones frequented by tourists (e.g., big cities, hotels serving tourists), you're likely to get by fine on English. It's still nice to learn some phrases in the local language for hello, thank you, etc.
And the linguistic quirks.

German: Danke (thanks or thank you)
Response: Bitte ("please" means "you are welcome")

(Danke-shun means thank you, bitte-shun is the correct reply; and I apologise in advance for my misspelling)

Thank you goes a long way in China (thank you). (A kind soul, native speaker, suggested that what I wrote, "shi-shi", is too far from the actual pronunciation, so I leave it to the reader to find a pronunciation online**).

By and large foreigners understand a lot more English than they speak. For someone French, it's painful to speak English badly, so they are too shy to try.

** for reasons which are too long to relate here, my mother did learn some Chinese when I was growing up. However she learned the Cantonese dialect, and the Mandarin language sounds very different.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

In first world countries (i.e. most of Europe and other places with similar levels of economic development), expect most folks under 40 in tourist-facing areas (i.e. not the remote country side) to speak at least passable English.

Maybe Asia is a bit worse given the greater linguistic differences from English, but I suspect finding English speakers there is not too hard, either.
mhc

Post by mhc »

OP,

some more info would be helpful. What country? Tourist area? Are you going as a tourist or professional?

If I get stuck, I look for a young person, usually female, (15-25 years old) to help me. They tend to know more English than a much older person.

I would have no problem using Google translate or some other app. People understand smart phones unless you are way off the grid.

Just be patient, polite, and smile, and things should work out.

Learning the social customs can be as important as learning common phrases.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In much of the world, other people speak enough English that you if the person you’re communicating with can’t understand you, they’ll find someone who can. In lots of places, the kids learn English in school, then the adults forget it, so older kids are your best bet.

Even in countries where not much English is spoken, people who work in hotels will often speak enough English to communicate with. I’ve had hotel workers write notes for me before I went someplace, then I just handed the note to the taxi driver or person at the other end. The hotel will have a business card that you can show the taxi driver for the return trip.

I have looked things up on Google Translate in a restaurant, and then just held my phone up to the waitress to show her what I wanted. It did work. However, the places where you need to do this might be places without enough internet for Google Translate to work very well. So you may want to take a small phrase book or dictionary.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am However, the places where you need to do this might be places without enough internet for Google Translate to work very well. So you may want to take a small phrase book or dictionary.
Google Translate works offline. There's a little downward arrow next to the language, which lets you download that dictionary and use it when you don't have internet access.