Apple MagSafe Wallet - any users?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Apple MagSafe Wallet - any users?

Post by NYCaviator »

Anyone tried the new Apple MagSafe wallet? If so, do you like it and find it worth the money?
loghound

Re: Apple MagSafe Wallet - any users?

Post by loghound »

It works well enough and the 'find my' feature is pretty nice.

My problem is I only 'snap it in' when I leave the house and I forget to to do it sometimes.....
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

NYCaviator wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm Anyone tried the new Apple MagSafe wallet? If so, do you like it and find it worth the money?
This has my attention as well. I moved away from a wallet years ago. I have a simple hard case for the iPhone with a sliding door in the back of the case that can store 3 cards. It has worked well.

It the magnet capability very strong in terms of attaching to the back of an iPhone case?

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

Considered it. I wasn't going to use a phone mounted wallet everyday, so I bought a MOFT MageSafe wallet for half the price and it has worked well so far. Other MOFT features that were appealing were the stand option and a hole to hold it like a PopGrip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P6T2ZW7
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm
NYCaviator wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm Anyone tried the new Apple MagSafe wallet? If so, do you like it and find it worth the money?
This has my attention as well. I moved away from a wallet years ago. I have a simple hard case for the iPhone with a sliding door in the back of the case that can store 3 cards. It has worked well.

It the magnet capability very strong in terms of attaching to the back of an iPhone case?

Tony
The magnet is pretty good. But unless I’m mistaken, you can’t use MagSafe for charging when the wallet is attached.

If I have to remove the wallet whenever I charge, I’m more likely to leave it behind. So I’ve decided to skip the magsafe wallet.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

MagSafe is the only wallet I carry out of the house. Drivers License, 1 CC and a $50 bill for emergencies. The CC I carry changes when I am on vacation. I have additional cards stored on the phone which I can use anywhere ApplePay is accepted

I don’t see much advantage to MagSafe charging, so it doesn’t bother me that the wallet conflicts with it.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I use this wallet most of the time and like it very much. I have the old version without "Almost Find My" built in.

This is a minimalist wallet. It really does only fit 3 cards, and hopefully they are not embossed.

My minimal carry is 4 cards, so I was able to get mine to hold a 4th card by stretching the leather in my sous vide cooker (YMMV, but I can post general instructions if anyone wants).
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

NYCaviator wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pmAnyone tried the new Apple MagSafe wallet? If so, do you like it and find it worth the money?
We both use one. DL, debit card and fuel saver card is what we carry in ours. Much better than hauling around a full wallet in the pocket - or a purse in my wife's case.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Only three plastic cards work with the MagSafe Wallet. Does anyone carry a health insurance card?

Best.
Tony
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:16 pm Only three plastic cards work with the MagSafe Wallet. Does anyone carry a health insurance card?

Best.
Tony
I don’t carry a health insurance card, but I have an app from my insurer which can display a facsimile.
TexasTacos24

Post by TexasTacos24 »

I absolutely love my MagSafe Wallet. I carry my DL, a CC, and room for one more - most of the time it's a local restaurant's loyalty card where I am a regular. Insurance card, debit card, car insurance, etc. are all stored digitally in apple wallet on my phone.

I also use a MagSafe charger at home, and do not mind at all that my wallet has to be removed for that. Before MagSafe I would place my normal wallet in a basket with keys, etc when I got home. I do the same now with my MagSafe wallet - once I am home, I'm no longer carrying it. The best thing to me is it has freed up a pocket when I am out and the FindMy feature could be very helpful if I ever misplace the wallet.

I would definitely buy it again.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

TexasTacos24 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:10 pm I absolutely love my MagSafe Wallet. I carry my DL, a CC, and room for one more - most of the time it's a local restaurant's loyalty card where I am a regular. Insurance card, debit card, car insurance, etc. are all stored digitally in apple wallet on my phone.

I also use a MagSafe charger at home, and do not mind at all that my wallet has to be removed for that. Before MagSafe I would place my normal wallet in a basket with keys, etc when I got home. I do the same now with my MagSafe wallet - once I am home, I'm no longer carrying it. The best thing to me is it has freed up a pocket when I am out and the FindMy feature could be very helpful if I ever misplace the wallet.

I would definitely buy it again.
Thank you for that very helpful explanation.

Best.
Tony
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

It’s *too* minimalist. 3 cards isn’t enough for a CC points maximizer. I find doctors/dentist offices don’t like digital cards and still insist on making photocopies of the real thing. More and more people want/expect to be tipped nowadays which necessitates carrying lots of $1s and $5s.