Moving to North Carolina

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tooth

Moving to North Carolina

Post by Tooth »

Potential move to north Carolina for spouse job at fort Bragg. I'm retired military and my spouse is GS civilian. We have lived there several years ago but much younger and I was deployed a lot and wife worked all the time. Basically lived pretty close to the base. Now we have a school aged kid and would be looking for a family friendly area. Does anyone have any recommendations? [Comment on proposed legislation removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] Moving from Ohio.
Hockey10

Re: Moving to North Carolina

Post by Hockey10 »

If you are willing to endure a long commute, Southern Pines is much nicer than Fayetteville. One of my old Army buddies lives in a neighborhood in Southern Pines just past the western edge of Ft. Bragg. His neighborhood has many older soldiers living there. I have not lived in Fayetteville since the mid 80s, so I can't speak to any good neighborhoods there now. (And you would not want to live where I lived then).
Topic Author
Tooth

Post by Tooth »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:44 pm If you are willing to endure a long commute, Southern Pines is much nicer than Fayetteville. One of my old Army buddies lives in a neighborhood in Southern Pines just past the western edge of Ft. Bragg. His neighborhood has many older soldiers living there. I have not lived in Fayetteville since the mid 80s, so I can't speak to any good neighborhoods there now. (And you would not want to live where I lived then).
Yes, rough area. I heard stories about the 70/80's. Older guys at the time I was in made it sound pretty bad. But when I was there a big effort was underway to clean up and check some of demand from the military. Some seedy stuff and quick loan places at the time I was there but a lot less I heard by my time.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

If Southern Pines is too far, there are a lot of homes in the semi-rural area along Vass Road.
Blanco 5.0

Post by Blanco 5.0 »

I live in NC. Stay out of Fayetteville. It has a significant crime problem. Stay away from points south i.e. Lumberton. Worse crime and just an all round lousy place. Go toward Pinehurst or if she can stand an hour each way Holly Springs. It is part of Raleigh environs and quite nice.
Drolen

Post by Drolen »

Tooth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm Potential move to north Carolina for spouse job at fort Bragg. I'm retired military and my spouse is GS civilian. We have lived there several years ago but much younger and I was deployed a lot and wife worked all the time. Basically lived pretty close to the base. Now we have a school aged kid and would be looking for a family friendly area. Does anyone have any recommendations? [Comment on proposed legislation removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] Moving from Ohio.
Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, or Aberdeen. Pretty much anything in Moore County. Great area, great schools, straight shot north to Raleigh. No need to ever go to Fayetteville.

I'm GS. I drive 45 min each way. Been here 10 years.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Drolen wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm
Tooth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm Potential move to north Carolina for spouse job at fort Bragg. I'm retired military and my spouse is GS civilian. We have lived there several years ago but much younger and I was deployed a lot and wife worked all the time. Basically lived pretty close to the base. Now we have a school aged kid and would be looking for a family friendly area. Does anyone have any recommendations? [Comment on proposed legislation removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] Moving from Ohio.
Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, or Aberdeen. Pretty much anything in Moore County. Great area, great schools, straight shot north to Raleigh. No need to ever go to Fayetteville.

Is Winston-Salem nice ?
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Topic Author
Tooth

Post by Tooth »

Thanks, from the posts thus far, stay generally north is the answer. Trulia search also seems to support this with crime map and school scores. Don'tt know how accurate or practical, or biased the data is.
five2one

Post by five2one »

I left Bragg in 2018 and lived in Pinehurst.

Our kids went to the elementary school and they are building more schools if memory is right. At the time, Pinehurst was upper middle class and folks were pushing out to seven lakes area.

Fayettnam hasn't change besides shutting off Bragg avenue, no longer goes through base, they built a new bypass.

Pending work locations, my standard commute was exactly 35 mins to Div HQs area.

ATW!
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

BernardShakey wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm

Is Winston-Salem nice ?
Winston is nice but too far to consider for a Bragg assignment.
Tarheel_P

Post by Tarheel_P »

BernardShakey wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm

Is Winston-Salem nice ?
I have lived in the Winston-Salem area for 40 years. During that time the town has seen its major corporation headquarters disappear (Piedmont Airlines, McLean Trucking), move away (Wachovia and BB&T banks), or downsize (Reynolds Tobacco and Hanes). The economy today is dominated by healthcare (two large medical centers), services, Wake Forest University, and some light manufacturing.

Quality of life is generally good although there is an undercurrent of racial tension, particularly inside the city limits. There are three major suburban towns within the surrounding county and outside the city limits (Kernersville to the east, Clemmons to the west, and Lewisville to the northwest), each with its own character. I moved to Lewisville nearly 20 years ago to escape rising taxes and crime inside the city limits of Winston-Salem.

Climate is moderate with four seasons. Crime, except in certain sections of the city is relatively low, however there is increasing gang activity. Recently there was a gang related shooting in one of the better public high schools. Most public schools are average to poor so affluent families send children to private schools. There are many cultural, entertainment, recreational, and shopping venues in the surrounding area. Traffic congestion is nowhere near as bad as in Raleigh and Charlotte, and usually occurs in the rush hours. Housing is affordable but it is currently a seller's market.

Politics have shifted to the left over the past 25 years. Winston-Salem votes Democrat and the city government is controlled by Democrats. The rest of the county is more Republican but trending Democrat.

Winston-Salem is a four hour drive to the NC coast, 1 1/2 hour drive to the mountains, 1 1/2 hour drive to Charlotte, and two hour drive to Raleigh. The nearest airport is Greensboro, about 30-40 minute drive.

The town is dependent on the automobile for transportation. It isn't a walkable town, except downtown.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

You might want to join this forum.

www.city-data.com/forum
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Pinehurst area is really nice and you should seriously consider this area. I do not know much about Fayetteville but it does not have a great reputation.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

carolinaman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 am Pinehurst area is really nice and you should seriously consider this area. I do not know much about Fayetteville but it does not have a great reputation.
Some family friends moved to Pinehurst and have good things to say about it.