Thinking about getting my ears pierced for the first time

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tony5412

Thinking about getting my ears pierced for the first time

Post by tony5412 »

Just to give some background info: I am 40ish, mid career, work in IT, male, and have been thinking about getting my ears pierced for quite some time. Nothing too drastic, just one piercing in each ear with a small stud in each ear (no stretching or the like).

I've been told that a tattoo parlor would be the way to go instead of a store at the mall as there would be less chance of an infection.

Seems to be a straightforward process. I've also been told that I could expect the piercings to heal after 4-8 weeks but I would need to wear earrings for an entire year. This includes work, events, job interviews, and the like.

I think the main reason I haven't done this already is my career. My job allows earrings on me (one in each ear) but I don't see any male "professionals" at work with an earring or males members of management with earrings other than a few lower level supervisors. None of the males in the group I work in wear earrings. This leads me to believe that I would stand out and this could affect management perception, promotion opportunities, etc. I have been at the same place for over 10 years so it may not be an issue if I plan to stay in my current position. However, I have thought about interviewing for other jobs and it doesn't seem like a good idea to show up to interviews with earrings.

I know there are successful career-oriented people who post here so I figured I'd ask here. It's something I'd like to do but I do wonder if and how it could affect my future job and career prospects. Do most employers these days tend to be open to earrings on men or is there still a stigma?
oldfatguy

Re: Thinking about getting my ears pierced for the first time

Post by oldfatguy »

I guess you have to ask yourself if you would want to work someplace where they wouldn't hire you because you have earrings.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

More companies are adopting "you be you" policies. But not all.

I think you have correctly summarized the outcome that some/many will be accepting, some/many won't notice at all, some may make assumptions.

I would likely not do it as I like to stay out of the lens of focus on most things.

No easy guidance on this one.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

oldfatguy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 pm I guess you have to ask yourself if you would want to work someplace where they wouldn't hire you because you have earrings.
Good point
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:10 pm More companies are adopting "you be you" policies. But not all.

I think you have correctly summarized the outcome that some/many will be accepting, some/many won't notice at all, some may make assumptions.

I would likely not do it as I like to stay out of the lens of focus on most things.

No easy guidance on this one.
I typically try to keep a low profile and this could attract too much attention. I deal with many different people and departments in person at work. Perhaps it would be better to find a new position where I'm not so visible, perhaps a work from home gig, and then consider it.
Last edited by tony5412 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm I've been told that a tattoo parlor would be the way to go instead of a store at the mall as there would be less chance of an infection.

Seems to be a straightforward process. I've also been told that I could expect the piercings to heal after 4-8 weeks but I would need to wear earrings for an entire year. This includes work, events, job interviews, and the like
Safety is good, but yoy are over thinking it. High school me, 25 years ago did my first in a friends garage with a sewing needle. Healed in a few days.

The other 2 i eventually got were done at a record store (Newbury Comics, if you are an Bostonian) None were ever infected, or a big deal to remove after a week or two. Stopped wearing them during college, but could always push one through the holes for a few years. Its been a decade or so since i last tried. I can feel the holes, but doubt i could still wear them. Noticeable if you are looking, but nothing id be worried about showing in an interview
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

aerosurfer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 pm Safety is good, but yoy are over thinking it. High school me, 25 years ago did my first in a friends garage with a sewing needle. Healed in a few days.
Yeah. I did notice a big difference in price between the places I went to. The store in the mall charges I believe $30 for both ears. I went to three different tattoo parlors:

1) $40 for both ears, including a stud in each ear (very little selection)
2) $75 for both ears, including a stud in each ear (not much selection)
3) $150 for both ears, including a stud in each ear (huge selection)

#2 and 3 have the best reviews (4.9 out of 5)

I'm not sure if the extra expense is worth it tho.
aerosurfer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 pm The other 2 i eventually got were done at a record store (Newbury Comics, if you are an Bostonian) None were ever infected, or a big deal to remove after a week or two. Stopped wearing them during college, but could always push one through the holes for a few years. Its been a decade or so since i last tried. I can feel the holes, but doubt i could still wear them. Noticeable if you are looking, but nothing id be worried about showing in an interview
I'd have to wear studs to an interview if its within a year of the piercing. Maybe if I were to get 2mm studs, they would be more discrete but still noticeable.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

My expertise comes from having three daughters doing piercing on their own and each other... piercing is no big deal and you can always just stop using them if there is a problem. You could try the stick on earrings first and see if anyone notices. There are still some workplaces it might be a problem despite the dress code language even though no one will tell you that.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Try fake/stick-on earrings/hoops/studs or whichever for some time, without actual piercing .. then decide how life/work/portrait treats you ..
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I passing this on from a friend. His piercing got infected over and over again no matter how often he sterilized it with peroxide etc. He finally gave up and stopped trying.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I think you’re overthinking it. Most people have moved on about these kinds of things.

For example, I really don’t like tattoos; never have. But, that’s my problem, and I’ve hired many people, some with tattoos, and frankly finding quality staff was always more important than what they decided about how to modify their appearance.

You know the phrase “____ ‘em if they can’t take a joke?” You don’t want to work where you don’t have the freedom to do something easy to deal with; anyone who doesn’t like earrings doesn’t have to look at your ears. I did once have a batch of staff who decided to quit showering, but that’s a story for another day 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

oldfatguy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 pm I guess you have to ask yourself if you would want to work someplace where they wouldn't hire you because you have earrings.
You might not want to work there, but you might that working there is being unhappy is better than being unemployed and hungry. I sort of doubt anyone would care but you never know when you get that one hiring manager who does.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:34 pm I think you’re overthinking it. Most people have moved on about these kinds of things.

For example, I really don’t like tattoos; never have. But, that’s my problem, and I’ve hired many people, some with tattoos, and frankly finding quality staff was always more important than what they decided about how to modify their appearance.

You know the phrase “____ ‘em if they can’t take a joke?” You don’t want to work where you don’t have the freedom to do something easy to deal with; anyone who doesn’t like earrings doesn’t have to look at your ears. I did once have a batch of staff who decided to quit showering, but that’s a story for another day 😁
I work for an ULTRA-conservative company (in Utah, founded by 4 strict Mormons), this is the case even here. I have a hard time imagining a workplace today where someone having small studs in their ears would even be noticed, but I guess only the OP knows their workplace.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm
I know there are successful career-oriented people who post here so I figured I'd ask here. It's something I'd like to do but I do wonder if and how it could affect my future job and career prospects. Do most employers these days tend to be open to earrings on men or is there still a stigma?
speaking from experience of several people i know, even if the company 'formally' allows it at the 'company level' that does not mean that there will be some people/managers/customers/clients/interviewers/etc. that might 'unofficially' see that as a negative in a corporate environment - and as such, allow it to 'unofficially' influence their decisions about you. many variables here like size of company, management personalities, etc.

if it is important to you, you can still get them pierced and then take the studs out when at work - even during healing. for example, next time you have a week or two off on vacation get them pierced at the start of vacation and keep the studs in. after two weeks the ears will have healed for the most part. go back to work with the studs out and put them in when out of work.
Last edited by cashboy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
sport

Post by sport »

A friend had this done years ago. They put in stainless steel studs to wear while it was healing. She developed an allergy to nickel from the studs. (Nickel is a component of most stainless steel.) Since then, she cannot have any stainless steel items touch her skin, such as eyeglasses, watchbands, etc.

FIL was an ENT. He refused to pierce ears for patients. His attitude was "You already have enough holes in your head, you don't need more." :idea:
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Especially if you have a family to support.
Last edited by PoppyA on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celia

Post by celia »

If you have ‘long’ haïr, they may be hidden, so no one will likely notice. They will notice your hair instead.

My daughter and I had our ears pierced (for free?) in the mall mini-store where we were buying the earrings. It only takes a few days to heal. After a few weeks, you don’t need to wear studs or earrings continually. In fact, it annoyed me to lie down wearing studs. When I put an ear against the pillow, the stud was sandwiched between the ear and my head. Ouch!

Stopped wearing them after a year or so because of the hassle. The holes filled in on their own. No spackle needed!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cashboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 pm
tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm
speaking from experience of several people i know, even if the company 'formally' allows it at the 'company level' that does not mean that there will be some people/managers/customers/clients/interviewers/etc. that might 'unofficially' see that as a negative in a corporate environment - and as such, allow it to 'unofficially' influence their decisions about you.
I’m sure there are “people/managers/customers/clients/interviewers/etc” who make assumptions about people who are attractive/unattractive, thin/overweight, dress frumpily/stylish, not to mention the additional assumptions people make based on race, age, sexual orientation, religion or lack thereof, and on and on. It’s those people’s job, at least the managers, to make decisions based on things that are relevant to the task at hand: to hire or not.

I’m not saying that all managers succeed at that, but who wants to work for a bigot anyway?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

go for it

in my head, this gets filed under "things which matter to me, but which other people aren't even thinking about". it's like when you get a haircut or a new shirt. everybody else is too busy with whatever is on their own plate to notice or care.

and yes, you want a real piercing and tattoo place. it's not just the chance of infection it's also the quality of the jewelry, the exact placement and angle of the hole, and the followup care and advice you might need. it will probably be fine, but if you did have questions you want to call the professionals, not the mall.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Any drastic change in appearance is likely to draw attention to yourself from coworkers or management. Up to you if you want to do this and swim against the culture you described. People will wonder if you are “ok” whether they say it to you directly or talk about it at the water cooler. You only live once so if you want to do it go for it.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

cashboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 pm speaking from experience of several people i know, even if the company 'formally' allows it at the 'company level' that does not mean that there will be some people/managers/customers/clients/interviewers/etc. that might 'unofficially' see that as a negative in a corporate environment - and as such, allow it to 'unofficially' influence their decisions about you. many variables here like size of company, management personalities, etc.
That is what I was thinking.
cashboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 pm if it is important to you, you can still get them pierced and then take the studs out when at work - even during healing. for example, next time you have a week or two off on vacation get them pierced at the start of vacation and keep the studs in. after two weeks the ears will have healed for the most part. go back to work with the studs out and put them in when out of work.
Are you sure it is only two weeks? I have heard 6 weeks and I have also heard 6 months to heal (with earrings needing to be in for 12-18 months, or else piercings could close). Piercer told me the latter but of course he has a vested interest that he would charge me to come in and change the jewelry before it heals.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

sport wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:36 pm A friend had this done years ago. They put in stainless steel studs to wear while it was healing. She developed an allergy to nickel from the studs. (Nickel is a component of most stainless steel.) Since then, she cannot have any stainless steel items touch her skin, such as eyeglasses, watchbands, etc.

FIL was an ENT. He refused to pierce ears for patients. His attitude was "You already have enough holes in your head, you don't need more." :idea:
The one place I went to said they use titanium. Apparently that is less prone to allergies.

LOL didn't realize ENTs did piercings.
mhc

Post by mhc »

When I was in the Army, males could not have earrings. I have no idea about females because I was in a combat unit. I had friends who pierced their ears with a needle. They would then use a piece of straw from a broom to put in the hole while on duty. It was difficult to notice. They did this until the hole developed properly. There are ways of doing what you want if that is the direction you want to go. I don't know if there are commercial products for keeping the hole open that are not really noticeable. Seems like there could be a market for this.

As others have said, most people could care less what you do. Most people are so focused on themselves that they probably wouldn't notice if you kept things subtle at work.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

celia wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:39 pm If you have ‘long’ haïr, they may be hidden, so no one will likely notice. They will notice your hair instead.

My daughter and I had our ears pierced (for free?) in the mall mini-store where we were buying the earrings. It only takes a few days to heal. After a few weeks, you don’t need to wear studs or earrings continually. In fact, it annoyed me to lie down wearing studs. When I put an ear against the pillow, the stud was sandwiched between the ear and my head. Ouch!

Stopped wearing them after a year or so because of the hassle. The holes filled in on their own. No spackle needed!
My hair is short

Only a few days to heal and a few weeks before you can take out the earrings? I have been told and have read it could take up to 6 months to heal and 18 months before you can go without earrings continually. That is at 18
gauge, perhaps mall piercings are smaller? I am a side sleeper so sleeping on studs could be an issue.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

cchrissyy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm go for it

in my head, this gets filed under "things which matter to me, but which other people aren't even thinking about". it's like when you get a haircut or a new shirt. everybody else is too busy with whatever is on their own plate to notice or care.

and yes, you want a real piercing and tattoo place. it's not just the chance of infection it's also the quality of the jewelry, the exact placement and angle of the hole, and the followup care and advice you might need. it will probably be fine, but if you did have questions you want to call the professionals, not the mall.
Perhaps you are right that most would be too busy to care. I keep busy as do most of my co workers. I would don't care nor comment if a co worker has a new hairstyle.

Good points re going to a professional.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You’re overthinking all of this. I got mine done at the swap meet. They use guns to shoot brand new studs straight out of the package. A tattoo parlor is good if you want fancy piercings, because they know how to do that. Any kid at the mall can do earlobes just fine.

As far as the work thing, I have a hard time imagining a workplace that would care about an IT guy’s piercings. If it comes to it though, once they’re healed, you can take the studs out for important meetings, or even the full workday, if you need to.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

tonyclifton wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:59 pm Any drastic change in appearance is likely to draw attention to yourself from coworkers or management. Up to you if you want to do this and swim against the culture you described. People will wonder if you are “ok” whether they say it to you directly or talk about it at the water cooler. You only live once so if you want to do it go for it.
I am not sure if it would be considered a drastic change in appearance. Unusual? Perhaps. I can think of changes more drastic though: tattoo sleeve, stretched ears, face piercings, dying hair pink, etc. With that being said, perhaps it would be drastic enough to raise a red flag in some people's minds.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:03 pm
cashboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 pm speaking from experience of several people i know, even if the company 'formally' allows it at the 'company level' that does not mean that there will be some people/managers/customers/clients/interviewers/etc. that might 'unofficially' see that as a negative in a corporate environment - and as such, allow it to 'unofficially' influence their decisions about you. many variables here like size of company, management personalities, etc.
That is what I was thinking.
cashboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 pm if it is important to you, you can still get them pierced and then take the studs out when at work - even during healing. for example, next time you have a week or two off on vacation get them pierced at the start of vacation and keep the studs in. after two weeks the ears will have healed for the most part. go back to work with the studs out and put them in when out of work.
Are you sure it is only two weeks? I have heard 6 weeks and I have also heard 6 months to heal (with earrings needing to be in for 12-18 months, or else piercings could close). Piercer told me the latter but of course he has a vested interest that he would charge me to come in and change the jewelry before it heals.
unless one has very thick ear lobes, after two weeks (unless they got infected) you should be able to take the studs out of your ears for 8 hours of the work day. the ears would not be fully healed, but healed enough to remove them as stated. just be extra careful when re-inserting them. you might consider going with small round studs that are yellow or white gold as other metals might cause issues. you can always change them out later to something that is not round.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 pm
tonyclifton wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:59 pm Any drastic change in appearance is likely to draw attention to yourself from coworkers or management. Up to you if you want to do this and swim against the culture you described. People will wonder if you are “ok” whether they say it to you directly or talk about it at the water cooler. You only live once so if you want to do it go for it.
I am not sure if it would be considered a drastic change in appearance. Unusual? Perhaps. I can think of changes more drastic though: tattoo sleeve, stretched ears, face piercings, dying hair pink, etc. With that being said, perhaps it would be drastic enough to raise a red flag in some people's minds.
“Drastic” is a perception issue in the eye of the beholder. Where I work it is noticed if you stop parking in the usual spot :)
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:19 pm
cchrissyy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm go for it

Perhaps you are right that most would be too busy to care. I keep busy as do most of my co workers. I would don't care nor comment if a co worker has a new hairstyle.

Good points re going to a professional.
People might not even register this as "a change". If they notice at all, they might assume it was always there and they just hadn't noticed before.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

aerosurfer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 pm
tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm I've been told that a tattoo parlor would be the way to go instead of a store at the mall as there would be less chance of an infection.

Seems to be a straightforward process. I've also been told that I could expect the piercings to heal after 4-8 weeks but I would need to wear earrings for an entire year. This includes work, events, job interviews, and the like
Safety is good, but yoy are over thinking it. High school me, 25 years ago did my first in a friends garage with a sewing needle. Healed in a few days.
Sure, but do you otherwise heal as quickly now as you did then?
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I wouldn’t worry about it job wise. Just make sure you really want to wear them because otherwise you will likely have scarring. Even though the scars are small, they will be there.
Savermom

Post by Savermom »

You can get it done at a plastic surgeon’s office.

I agree with the others who said you had better be sure that you want it due to the scar it would still leave.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

I can relate to this thread... Saturday, 8/1/2009 (a date I will never forget), I was 25 years old, fresh out of a break-up, and a couple margaritas in when a good friend and I thought it would be a great idea for me to re-invent myself at the local wal-mart. I ended up with 2 cubic zirconias (1 in each ear). I ended up going out on the town with my new look that night only to pull them out at 2:00am because I realized they weren't me. I never looked back except to tell this story again and again. An identity-crisis, surely.

With that being said, you only live once.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pmIt's something I'd like to do but I do wonder if and how it could affect my future job and career prospects. Do most employers these days tend to be open to earrings on men or is there still a stigma?
Of course there are still some employers/bosses who consciously or unconsciously would look down on that. Same with visible tattoos, unusual hair colors or styles, non-traditional clothes, other visible piercings, etc.

Much depends on your locale, the local culture, the company you work for, the employer, the specific roles, etc. I've worked in some tech companies where t-shirts, shorts, pets, and no shoes was acceptable. I've worked in others where ties were always mandatory, and suits were required when meeting with clients.

If you don't see others in your company doing the same, you'll be an exception and stick out. That means negative repercussions are more likely.

Only you are in a position to decide if the risk (however unlikely) is worthwhile or not.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.

Post by 123 »

Do you want the people at work to think of or describe you as the individual with certain expertise or the "guy with the earrings"?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

If you are worried about impressions at work or a job interview, try wearing a ski mask. :shock: It is only a matter of perspective. Have confidence in yourself. That will be more favorably noticed.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
mrc

Post by mrc »

I'd put a small IT shop in the middle of the spectrum from silk stocking law firm [very conservative, conformance mandatory] to artists league [individual expression is almost mandatory]. Where does your firm sit? I'd also adjust based on where you are: east/west coast vs mid west or south.

However, workplace discrimination based on appearance is real, and covert. If you think the change in your appearance will attract negative attention, you're probably right.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Go get your ears pierced. If it turns out to be an issue at your current job OR at some future job - you just remove the earrings.

I'd say once you've had earrings in for a year or so - the holes don't close permanently when you don't wear earrings for a few days. So you could not wear earrings to work - but could put them back in in the evenings and weekends.

I'd say once you've had earrings in/out for more than 2 years - the holes won't close permanently - and you can just put earrings in on the weekends.

When the earrings aren't in - I'd say no one is gonna notice you have pierced ears.

If you get your ears pierced - and then in 6 months have to remove the earrings permanently because of work - you're out - what - the cost of night having beers at the sports bar?? Even if you buy a couple pairs of stud earrings to use after you are done with the "piercer" studs -and you have to give up wearing earrings permanently - you're out - what? the cost of ticket to a live show or sporting event (if you get high end studs). It's an experience. Just do it.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

I think you should do it. You'll feel good about yourself, and who knows, you might start a trend. But probably no one will even notice.
As far as where to get it done, you want it to be hygienic, and you also want the person to be good at positioning the hole in the right place. I got mine done, when I was in my 40s, by my dermatologist. She really enjoyed it (I think it was a good break from looking for skin cancers!) She used solid gold posts, which I had to leave in for some time (I can't remember how long).
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

It's better to get your ears pierced by a professional with a sterilized needle than one of those mall guns. Those ear piercing guns are gross. Ew. Doing it yourself at home is cleaner lol.

Pick a low-key or flesh-colored stud if you're worried about reactions. If you want, you can put clear studs in once the healing period is over.

Once you get through the healing period, you can take your studs out when you're at work or wherever, and put them back in when you're home, if it matters to you. The piercings are not going to close over the course of half a day. Even if earrings are out long enough for a membrane to start to form (a couple weeks when newer, as long as you had them in for the first 2 months), you can just push it right through - it barely hurts. I've had my ears pierced since I was 2, haven't regularly worn earrings in 8 years, and can still push 'em through once in a while when the occasion calls for fancying up. No biggie.

The trick is taking good care of the piercing when you get it (or any time you "re-pierce" on the fly). Keep it clean and sterilized, and twist the studs daily so the piercing doesn't get gummed up. Don't push the backings up too close to your ear.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm Just to give some background info: I am 40ish, mid career, work in IT, male, and have been thinking about getting my ears pierced for quite some time. Nothing too drastic, just one piercing in each ear with a small stud in each ear (no stretching or the like).

I've been told that a tattoo parlor would be the way to go instead of a store at the mall as there would be less chance of an infection.

Seems to be a straightforward process. I've also been told that I could expect the piercings to heal after 4-8 weeks but I would need to wear earrings for an entire year. This includes work, events, job interviews, and the like.

I think the main reason I haven't done this already is my career. My job allows earrings on me (one in each ear) but I don't see any male "professionals" at work with an earring or males members of management with earrings other than a few lower level supervisors. None of the males in the group I work in wear earrings. This leads me to believe that I would stand out and this could affect management perception, promotion opportunities, etc. I have been at the same place for over 10 years so it may not be an issue if I plan to stay in my current position. However, I have thought about interviewing for other jobs and it doesn't seem like a good idea to show up to interviews with earrings.

I think you should do it. Just move forward with your eyes wide open to the potential professional downsides that you have mentioned.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:04 pm
tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pmIt's something I'd like to do but I do wonder if and how it could affect my future job and career prospects. Do most employers these days tend to be open to earrings on men or is there still a stigma?
Of course there are still some employers/bosses who consciously or unconsciously would look down on that. Same with visible tattoos, unusual hair colors or styles, non-traditional clothes, other visible piercings, etc.

Much depends on your locale, the local culture, the company you work for, the employer, the specific roles, etc. I've worked in some tech companies where t-shirts, shorts, pets, and no shoes was acceptable. I've worked in others where ties were always mandatory, and suits were required when meeting with clients.

If you don't see others in your company doing the same, you'll be an exception and stick out. That means negative repercussions are more likely.

Only you are in a position to decide if the risk (however unlikely) is worthwhile or not.
+1 In a professional business culture you want to stand out and have people to notice your work and your professionalism, not your grooming, clothes, or jewelry, tattoos, piercings, etc. But only you can judge if this kind of change might be a negative distraction in your specific workplace.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

If it helps to think about it this way, if someone I worked with a long time showed up to today with earrings, and I noticed them, my first guess would be they had been there the whole time. My second guess is they got pierced many years ago and just now resumed wearing them. My distant third guess would be the holes are actually new.
Last edited by cchrissyy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

If someone in their 40s showed up with earrings, I would just assume you've always had pierced ears. You can go to a tattoo/piercing shop, but the guns work pretty well. I punched second holes in my ears with ice and a stud earring in my bedroom when I was a teen. :D I also think tech employees have a little more leeway in how they dress/style their hair.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

EddyB wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:57 pm
aerosurfer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Sure, but do you otherwise heal as quickly now as you did then?
I havent punctured my ears in 20+ years, but i still get plenty of bumps scrapes and cuts from auto work, wood working, riding and any other manner rough housing. Everything seems to heal up just fine, quickly
meemact

Post by meemact »

After a lifetime of pierced ears, I finally took the earrings out because of the interference with the elastics of the Covid masks. That would be even more bothersome with newly-pierced ears.....if you are in a mask-mandated area.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:33 pm You’re overthinking all of this. I got mine done at the swap meet. They use guns to shoot brand new studs straight out of the package. A tattoo parlor is good if you want fancy piercings, because they know how to do that. Any kid at the mall can do earlobes just fine.
I have been told that there is increased risk of infection if ears are pierced with a gun. Perhaps that's overstated but that is what I heard.
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:33 pmAs far as the work thing, I have a hard time imagining a workplace that would care about an IT guy’s piercings. If it comes to it though, once they’re healed, you can take the studs out for important meetings, or even the full workday, if you need to.
It seems to take quite some time for them to heal, however. In the meantime, they would need to be worn during the full work day and during meetings.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

meemact wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 pm After a lifetime of pierced ears, I finally took the earrings out because of the interference with the elastics of the Covid masks. That would be even more bothersome with newly-pierced ears.....if you are in a mask-mandated area.
I do have to wear a mask at work. I didn't even think about that.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

tonyclifton wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 pm
tony5412 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 pm
“Drastic” is a perception issue in the eye of the beholder. Where I work it is noticed if you stop parking in the usual spot :)
Your co-workers must not have enough work to do. :)