Best generic toner brand - Brother printers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teelainen

Best generic toner brand - Brother printers

Post by teelainen »

Anyone have a recommendation for the best generic toner brand for Brother printers?

The genuine Brother toners are WAY too expensive.
anon_investor

Re: Best generic toner brand - Brother printers

Post by anon_investor »

teelainen wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:23 pm Anyone have a recommendation for the best generic toner brand for Brother printers?

I usually look on Amazon and find one with a lot of review and that passes fakespot. I have been using my current brother all-in-one since 2013.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:59 pm
teelainen wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:23 pm Anyone have a recommendation for the best generic toner brand for Brother printers?

I usually look on Amazon and find one with a lot of review and that passes fakespot. I have been using my current brother all-in-one since 2013.
This
sohcahtoa

Post by sohcahtoa »

I can't speak to best, but I have used the Jarbo cartridges and have had no problems. They deliver right around their supposed page count.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I buy the cheapest ones on ebay and from a high rated seller.
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein »

+1 on the above recs. I print several thousand pages per year, and the cheapest ones on Amazon that pass muster on ReviewMeta have served me well. At ~$12 per cartridge, you don't have much to lose beyond perhaps investing the time to google the counter-bypass dance that some printers demand.

Bill
TheCaptain67

Post by TheCaptain67 »

I have been using Linkyo toners for many years in my Brother printer.

No problems.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

I've used Comp and Save for some years now for refills for our Brother printer. The ink cartridges have always worked very well. And, they ship quickly, too.

(The link I supplied is for their Brother toners)

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Post by 123 »

We've been using "E-Z Ink" cartridges from Amazon for our Brother printers for a few years without any problems.https://www.amazon.com/Ink-Replacement- ... +ink+tn660

E-Z Ink cartridges are like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the the standard OEM replacement cartridge. I don't think they last as long as a regular Brother cartridge but otherwise they work fine as far as I can tell. We've had 2 Brother printers over the last 20 years and they seem to be durable and reliable for our occasional use at home. We usually buy a "real" Brother cartridge for the first replacement and then start using the off-brand replacements.

For awhile I tried the DIY cartridge refill kits but they were messy and the off-brand cartridges are so cheap it's not worth the effort to try to refill them. (Toner powder can be a real mess to clean-up if you spill some, even in a garage.)
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I bought this one- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084L ... UTF8&psc=1. I did have a problem shortly after installing the second cartridge and they sent me 2 new ones.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

LifeIsGood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 am I bought this one- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084L ... UTF8&psc=1. I did have a problem shortly after installing the second cartridge and they sent me 2 new ones.
I had a similar experience with multiple cartridges from, I think, EPS brand. They were quick to replace them upon notification, but:

Their failure rate was too high for my taste
The print quality, while OK, was a clear step down from Brother's
At one point, a horrible grinding sound came from one of the cartridges.

At that point I decided that it was better to just buy OEM. I with that generics worked as well but for me they didn't, and I didn't want to mess up the printer. I'm using the basic monochrome laser, something like HL2370-DW.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Have bought Brother like printer cartridges twice from 4Inkjets. Both worked as well as the Brother original and total cost, including shipping was $18.18 each. Hope this helps.
Bogle7

Brother works for me

Post by Bogle7 »

Brother.
Life is too short to sweat printer cartridge prices.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I manage my wife's small law firm, we currently have 8 Brother laser MFPs and print or copy around 12k pages per month, so we use a lot of toner cartridges and drums. These are the three manufacturers I use the most, in this order:

1. LD Products - back in the '00s, I would buy directly from their site, but they now have the same prices and faster delivery on Amazon.
2. Linkyo
3. LxTek
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:42 am I manage my wife's small law firm, we currently have 8 Brother laser MFPs and print or copy around 12k pages per month, so we use a lot of toner cartridges and drums.
Thank you, very helpful. I like these credentials.
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

You'd have to confirm this, but the store clerk told me that if you use a non-Brother toner, it voids the warranty on the printer, if that is a consideration for you.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I've used Jarbo brand toner cartridges many times, been happy with them.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

teniralc wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:50 pm You'd have to confirm this, but the store clerk told me that if you use a non-Brother toner, it voids the warranty on the printer, if that is a consideration for you.
teniralc,

We can buy a new Brother printer at $100 if it is not on-sale. Around $50 when it is on-sale.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
G12

Post by G12 »

My current Brother MFC-L2740DW is about 5 years old. Have been using a HaloFox TN660 cartridge for roughly a year, extremely clear print resolution which I think is better than the original Brother cartridge.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

teniralc wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:50 pm You'd have to confirm this, but the store clerk told me that if you use a non-Brother toner, it voids the warranty on the printer, if that is a consideration for you.
Might be true but with savings in toner and the low likelihood of a warranty covered repair being needed, I don't worry about this.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Brother.

The last time I ordered a highly rated, generic toner cartridge, it wasn’t sealed properly. When I opened the box, a cloud of toner poofed out and turned both me and my entire office black. I looked like a coal miner, and parts of my office were never clean again until I moved out.

So I get the name brand stuff now.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

If that's true, I suspect only because it hasn't been challenged in court. IANAL, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the law in question and warrantors cannot require that only manufacturer-branded parts are used in the warranted product. This is most seen in automobile warranties (you cannot require Honda oil in a Honda, etc.).

However, I suspect that if the manufacturer can prove that damage to a printer was caused by a piece of junk toner cartridge, they could deny a claim.

Anyway I could understand how a printer owner would not want to spend their time and money being the test case to challenge a manufacturer's encroachment upon the terms of this Act. I surely don't, so at a minimum I decided to use Brother cartridges while the printer was under warranty. After warranty, I did try some generics. Based on my experience with them I've returned to the originals. Whether my experience was a function of a crappy toner cartridge or the manufacturer designing their product not to work well with generics, I don't know. The latter, if demonstrated, could be another area to be challenged (and I've heard of similar shenanigans in the inkjet market).
telemark

Re: Brother works for me

Post by telemark »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 pm Brother.
Me too, but I print dozens of pages every year, so my opportunities for savings are limited.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I have been using a replacement toner cartridge from ezink without any issues in my very old Brother monochrome laser printer. I got it through Amazon.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Had bad luck with HP generic - since getting the Brother - love it and the tech support is great - I only use their cartridges but DW and I aren't heavy users and so the cost is spread over a larger timeframe for our budget .
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Another Linkyo convert after years spent based on checking reviews on Amazon.
rebellovw

Re: Brother works for me

Post by rebellovw »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 pm Brother.
Exactly - love bother printers - best I've ever had - toner lasts so long - worth it to get Brother and recycle the carts.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I am interested in comments about Review Meta and Fakespot. Are they build into Amazon? If not, how do you use them? There are so many fake reviews out there...
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Another vote for Jarbo - been using them for years for a Samsung printer with no apparent issues.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
DivesEtPauper

Post by DivesEtPauper »

I have a Brother MFC-J825DW. I've been using these for years:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13328