Dishwasher recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jplee3

Dishwasher recommendations?

Post by jplee3 »

Hi all,

Looking for a new dishwasher - any recommendations on specific models to go with as well as what to stay away from? I've heard LG isn't that great... I would assume the same for Samsung too.

Not looking for anything super high end/fancy. I'm wondering if there will be any good deals during Black Friday. I am a bit concerned about the current supply chain problem of course. We were *forced* to get rid of a functional dishwasher due to a rat infestation :( The thing was just disgusting after pulling it out.

I may go the Best Buy open box route at the end of the day, but I do want to look for a good deal. While having a dishwasher is nice, we can get by with hand washing our dishes for a while.

I had a Bosch Ascenta that I installed at the condo shortly after moving in since the dishwasher was broken - that was a really nice dishwasher and very quiet too. I wouldn't mind getting another but not sure if the design quality has gone down since then.
Afty

Re: Dishwasher recommendations?

Post by Afty »

I’ve heard great things about the Bosch 800. The Wirecutter recommends the Bosch 300: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ishwasher/
SR II

Post by SR II »

We bought a Bosch 300 Series a year and a half ago to replace a 15 year old builder grade GE. It cleans well and is so dang quiet, I can't even hear it.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Higher end Miele and Bosch units. Those with built-in water softener.
We have a Miele Diamante Plus we use almost every day for the last 11 years. Was worth every penny of the $1500.
It's quiet, and everything comes out perfectly clean. I never prerinse.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Very happy with my Miele (Futura Classic) which doesn't appear to be available anymore.

I would go with either Bosch or Miele and pick one based on features you need. At least, that is what I gathered from my research 2 years ago.

I'm not certain, but I don't think Best Buy sells Miele. You'd have to go a high-end appliance store.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Avoid any model on this list - https://www.classaction.org/blog/failur ... e-property

We had one, it leaked for who knows how long before we noticed, and caused damage to cabinets. Insurance covered damages a dwe get our deductible back after insurance company went after the manufacturer. We are still out of pocket a fair amount as we did a full remodel. Come to find out several coworkers had similar faults with their dishwashers.

We replaced with a Miele 5000 series dishwasher that has been up and running nearly 2 months now. Loving it. Can't even tell it is running as it is very quiet. We ordered in February of this year and it arrived 6 months later.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Afty wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:44 am I’ve heard great things about the Bosch 800. The Wirecutter recommends the Bosch 300: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ishwasher/
We went with an 800 to replace a low end and broken Kitchenaid. It's so quiet that I will often open the door mid-run because I didn't know my wife started it - and I have good youngish ears. It cleans well and we use the small third rack more than expected.

The only issue I have is the hidden, capacitive touch panel is often triggered by my legs when the door is open and I brush against that top edge. Pretty sure you can get a model with actual push buttons that might be less prone to bumping.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We bought a Bosch 500 series just over a year ago and it's the best DW we've owned. Dishes are actually cleaned, come out spotless and dry when a load is done. Best part, it's quiet, you hardly know it's running!
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

We bought a Bosch 800 series with the 3rd rack and the hidden top push buttons two years ago. Been pretty happy with it overall.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

One suggestion- take some of your plates, bowls, etc. to the store and see how they fit. We recently replaced a high end Kenmore with a Bosch 500 and are struggling with how to load it well. The rack configurations are different and just don't line up with our china. For example, we can only put one row of bowls on the middle rack (we have the third rack for silverware, etc.) and we could put two rows in the Kenmore along with two rows of glasses.

The rack spacings aren't good or bad, we just haven't figured out how to make them work well with our stuff.
riverant

Post by riverant »

We got a Bosch 300 in 2018 for $650. No complaints yet aside from needing to put half a spice ball in the drain port to prevent clogging, apparently a common Bosch issue. Works as a initial filter.

I have very low dishwasher expectations but that seems to differ among respondents here. Perhaps high end really makes a difference.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Not kitchen aid
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

jplee3 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:45 am Hi all,

Looking for a new dishwasher - any recommendations on specific models to go with as well as what to stay away from? I've heard LG isn't that great... I would assume the same for Samsung too.

Not looking for anything super high end/fancy. I'm wondering if there will be any good deals during Black Friday. I am a bit concerned about the current supply chain problem of course. We were *forced* to get rid of a functional dishwasher due to a rat infestation :( The thing was just disgusting after pulling it out.

I may go the Best Buy open box route at the end of the day, but I do want to look for a good deal. While having a dishwasher is nice, we can get by with hand washing our dishes for a while.

I had a Bosch Ascenta that I installed at the condo shortly after moving in since the dishwasher was broken - that was a really nice dishwasher and very quiet too. I wouldn't mind getting another but not sure if the design quality has gone down since then.
Has been debated here previously. Just search for it.
ButtFear

Post by ButtFear »

I bought a Bosch DW a few years ago based on Consumer Reports recommendation, not sure what the model number is.

But it turns out the DW doesn't have a heating element to dry the dishes, drying is done via condensation, which doesn't work on plastic cups and plates. And since we have young kids, we have lots of plastic dishes, which are never dry.

https://www.atlanticcoastappliance.com/ ... -dry-cycl/
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

I just installed a Bosch 800 last month as a replacement for a 17-year-old Kitchenaid. It's phenomenal. I think your biggest challenge will be finding one in stock. I bought a floor model locally, got lucky.

Here's what I learned when I was looking:

1) The Bosch washing system is pretty much the same throughout the ranges, so going up does not get you a better wash.

2) The lower-end ranges (ascenta, 100) have a half-plastic tub which is one of the main ways they keep the cost down.

3) Noise does decrease as you go higher, but all of them are known for being pretty quiet.

4) The further up the range, the more rack and drying improvements you get. I love the top rack.

5) Plastic that doesn't hold water dries fine. Plastic containers or dishes with concave surfaces that hold water do not dry completely. This does not bother me, but it does some people.

6) If you have thicker or wavy plates and bowls that the Bosch rack system may not be best for you. We use thin, flat plates and I can load it up.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

We just got the Bosch 800 model this summer and love it. As everyone has said, it is super quiet and cleans well. The cycles seem very long though.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I have a Bosch 800 series and have been pleased with it. As others have noted, it is very quiet when operating. Miele is supposed to be good, but tend to be pricier. Cove is a relatively new brand from the maker of Sub-Zero and Wolf, and might be worth looking at since those sister brands have good reputations. https://www.subzero-wolf.com/cove/dishwashers
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

We were about to go Bosch, but I didn’t like the configuration of the racks. It wouldn’t have fit the same amount of dishes for what we normally use. We’ve had friends make the same comment about it feeling smaller.
We went with the kitchenaid flat front and went with the quietest model. It is very quiet on normal mode and and it cleans well. If I were looking again, I’d see if Bosch changed their racks because so many people like them.
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

Another Bosh 800 owner here- we bought for the quite-ness of the machine since our kitchen / dinning room / living room are all the same space.
Agree 100% on bringing your own dishes / glasses / bigger pots and pans to the store and try them out to see load-ability.
In Europe, they offer a clock that shines on the floor so you can see how much longer you have, which is not offered here in the States when we bought (we only have a red-light).
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

We just bought a low end Bosch Ascenta. Key feature was they had it in stock. It is quiet for sure, and gets the dishes clean. $499. Time will tell I guess.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

like Bosch but we love our Kitchen Aid. VERY quiet, got it at Best Buy last year.
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:07 am Avoid any model on this list - https://www.classaction.org/blog/failur ... e-property

We had one, it leaked for who knows how long before we noticed, and caused damage to cabinets. Insurance covered damages a dwe get our deductible back after insurance company went after the manufacturer. We are still out of pocket a fair amount as we did a full remodel. Come to find out several coworkers had similar faults with their dishwashers.

We replaced with a Miele 5000 series dishwasher that has been up and running nearly 2 months now. Loving it. Can't even tell it is running as it is very quiet. We ordered in February of this year and it arrived 6 months later.
If you opt for a Miele or Bosch, be prepared to wait for a long time unless you are lucky enough to find one in stock.

At the beginning of June, we ordered a Miele DW. It didn't show up when expected (late September), and estimated delivery got pushed back to February and then April of 2022. At that point we decided to accept a Jenn-Air model as a substitute. The Jenn-Air model is on that class-action lawsuit list (now I know why it was available :oops: ), so I'm grateful to tigermilk for sharing and will be following up tomorrow and taking preventative action before it gets installed.

I have read that Bosch has similar production delays as Miele.
bzcat

Post by bzcat »

We switched a few years ago to a Bosch with three racks and front control buttons. The panel is a bit retro looking with the red LED display, but we are very happy with it; clean dishes and super quiet. Once a year or so it will ask us to clean out the trap if we forget to empty it.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I've had good luck with the Kitchen Aid I purchased. Whisper quiet, cleans well, everything seems heavy duty and high quality with it. No problems yet.

I've honestly had bad luck with dishwashers in general over the years, I use mine like 5 days a week. I actually bough an extended warranty just because it just seems one of those appliances that always have issues.

Bosch has a big following and I would have bought one, but I didn't like that it didn't have a heated dry. The salesperson said it was a consistent complaint from customers he had dealt with. Had a friend with one and they otherwise liked it but did concede sometimes they would have to leave the door open on it like over night to get everything dry. Maybe that's overstated and not an issue for most people, but I like the option of a heated dry.
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

It's just my wife and I here and we have a Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawer Double. It's two drawer-style dishwashers stacked on each other in a normal dishwasher form factor. The drawers run individually so it's great for two people but also nice when we have an unusually big load.
segfault

Post by segfault »

Bosch… their entry level models are not as good as they were ten years ago, but are still pretty great. Currently have a newer low end Bosch in my house, and there’s nothing in that price range I’d rather have.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

there are several threads on dishwashers if you use the search function. I think the consensus is Bosch. I know that would be my vote. (Our dw is in a great room, so we went with the mid-level Bosch which is quieter than the entry level.)
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

We just finished the appliance selection process for a new house that we're building. I don't any real dishwasher opinions, but my wife has strong ones. In the end, she selected a Kitchen Aid in their upper tier. Not the very top (800?), but maybe 600/700.

Everyone defaults to saying "Bosch", but she and I both despise the Bosch that's been installed in our shared ownership vacation house for about 3 years. The bottom rack tracks horribly, and you have to be super careful when pulling it out to keep it from derailing. Really shocking how bad it is. It also dries horribly, but then, lots of them do nowadays for various energy conservation reasons. My wife also doesn't care for their rack layout.

We have a Kitchen Aid in our primary house, and it's been good. Wife likes the rack layout.

She went down the path of maybe selecting a Miele, and ultimately decided that their 3rd rack is just too short and fussy and useless compared to the Kitchen Aid third rack, and the layout of their other racks weren't quite as good. We did like the idea of the units that automatically pop open at the end of the cycle for drying, however.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I have a Bosch SHE3AR. As others have said, it’s extremely quiet and was very inexpensive around $400. I especially appreciate the push buttons, I find electronic touch buttons do not work consistently. Again as someone else said, the lower rack doesn’t track very well and sometimes comes out. In another house we have, we have a much higher end Bosch that has the electronic push buttons. The problem with it is you never know if it’s started. It’s interesting to note that all the internal parts for the lower end model and the higher model are identical, so I don’t think you’re getting superior cleaning from one versus the other. I prefer value so I would definitely go with the lower end model.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

If you're thinking about a Bosch, grab a few dishes & head to the nearest store that sells Bosch to see how they fit. When I did that, I found my stoneware plates & bowls didn't fit very well - apparently I'm not fancy enough for a Bosch! Wound up going with a GE instead; I don't know how quiet it is compared to a Bosch, but it's quiet enough for my open floor plan house. And it mostly does a decent job of drying the dishes, except when I put large plastic items in - they always seem to be wet, even if I run the dishwasher overnight.

My parents have had a Miele since the late 90's and are happy with it.
Last edited by Gryphon on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CJD121213

Post by CJD121213 »

I am sure I will be in the minority on this one but absolutely hated our Bosch dishwasher. We do a lot of dishes so not drying them is a big deal for us. Have had very good luck with Kitchenaid dishwashers over the years but we tend to buy the high end models so maybe that makes a difference with this brand. Have 4 in our current house and have not had any issues and all 4 get used daily.
luckyrebel

Post by luckyrebel »

Bosch 800 has worked great for us.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

illumination wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:15 pm Bosch has a big following and I would have bought one, but I didn't like that it didn't have a heated dry. The salesperson said it was a consistent complaint from customers he had dealt with. Had a friend with one and they otherwise liked it but did concede sometimes they would have to leave the door open on it like over night to get everything dry. Maybe that's overstated and not an issue for most people, but I like the option of a heated dry.
I have one of the models with CrystalDry and it works really well.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

We have the lowest model Miele (Classic?) and couldn't be happier.
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

I'll go aside from the bosh recommendation and throw in a Whirlpool. I don't see the model I bought ~8 years ago but it was a 55 decibel model. Way quieter than then builder grade Maytag it replaced. The plastic on the front panel of the maytag broke at 10 years old. There was not replacement available and I was ready for a quieter one anyway. Other than that it was a good washer but loud.

I can comfortably sit in the room with the Whirlpool dishwasher running and watch a TV show with it being distracting at all. Yes I can hear it but it is a very soft and calming "whoosing" sound. no problem.

I choose whirlpool because they are so popular that if there is a problem in the future, someone would have a youtube video or ufixit.com writeup on how to fix it and parts available. I'm a DIYer so thats important to me.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Boy, you folks are fancy-shmancy with your Bosch's and Miele's. We've owned a Whirpool dishwasher for the last 5 years. Quiet, cleans great, dries pretty good...and reliable.

We also had a Whirlpool for 7 years before this one which worked fine as well. Only reason we changed it was because it was black and DW needed to get one that would match our kitchen refresh.

We also own Whirpool washer and dryer, going on 4 years. They perform well and no problems.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

regularguy455 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 am Not kitchen aid
Funny, we bought a KitchenAid through Costco a couple of years ago and we like it. It's extremely quiet and actually dries our dishes which was very important to us.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sully45

Post by sully45 »

Own a cheap dishwasher that came with the house, it works fine provided you follow the three key steps I learned from TechnologyConnections:

-Run hot water to the faucet next to the dishwasher before starting the cycle (I had be told this, never grew up with a dishwasher)

-Add soap to the prewash AND wash cycle

-Do not add more soap than needed, unless you have very hard water you do not need to fill the container
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

We had a Kitchenaid dishwasher bought in 2010 that failed. The diagnosis was a bad control board. The technician said it may be several months to get a replacement control board. He didn’t work for an appliance store selling new appliances, so I believed him, especially with the car shortages caused by lack of control boards. We checked local appliance stores and it was two months for a new Kitchenaid, so we bought a Bosch DW, which has been fine. It took several days to get it delivered and installed, so we used our dishwasher named Amy until then.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Fun fact, most of the Whirlpool dishwashers and brands owned by Whirpool are made in Findlay, Ohio. This includes KitchenAid, Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana, and Jenn-Air. ;)
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We've had a Bosch 500 series for 7 years and it works really well. I almost always use the Express mode (1 hour cycle). I removed the 3rd rack. It caused more problems than it solved for us. If you're finicky and want to load silverware one by one into slots you might like it. It also hindered taller glasses (like wine) from fitting in the 2nd rack.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:46 pm
regularguy455 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 am Not kitchen aid
Funny, we bought a KitchenAid through Costco a couple of years ago and we like it. It's extremely quiet and actually dries our dishes which was very important to us.
You could call me a kitchen aid hater. I bought brand new kitchen aid appliances (microwave, electric stove, dishwasher) in 2017. All 3 broke at least once by 2020. The dishwasher had the inlet valve and the recirculation pump fail. Infinite knob on the stove failed. Microwave door sensor failed. Ridiculous for the price I paid to have them fail so quickly, but I’m mostly angry at the dishwasher.

Meanwhile, the LG refrigerator works like a charm.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I don't have a brand recommendation as much as a feature one - the extra top rack for silverware is my favorite thing everywhere I've lived that had it. You lay in all the knives next to eachother, all the spoons in a row, etc... everything gets well-cleaned, it takes up very little of the internal space, and then unloading is a breeze since they are all grouped together facing the same way. Love that.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

We've had generally good results from our Frigidaire appliances of late, including a dishwasher.

I will say from one of our earlier ones, during routine filter maintenance I inferred that it is important to remove cheese from dishes before loading, to the degree possible. Especially Parmesan and other sticky stuff (maybe Mozzarella). That might have been in one (a different brand) that specifically marketed itself as the kind that required no pre-washing. Guess I took them at their word ... what a fool was I.
phositadc

Post by phositadc »

delete
Last edited by phositadc on Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

We just finished building a new guest/party house and we installed two 50 series Asko units ..so far the Asko units are fine...about the same as the Bosch except they cost 600 more each...I would first see what you can find since the whole planet is in a cargo ship somewhere. Second I will only buy from a store that also does its own install and repair.....avoid the buck passing if something goes wrong...good luck!!
Last edited by OldBallCoach on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NerdJock

Post by NerdJock »

We ended up a few years ago with a Miele dishwasher.
It has a top tray for utensils.

Over the years I have had lots of fun packing it with dishes and utensils.
It seems that no matter how I pack I can find a way to fit more.

By sister in law has a Bosh.
They spend less time packing dishes.

I recommend both.
I can't recommend a particular model because I don't know.
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

phositadc wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:56 am
tschaefges wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:29 pm It's just my wife and I here and we have a Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawer Double. It's two drawer-style dishwashers stacked on each other in a normal dishwasher form factor. The drawers run individually so it's great for two people but also nice when we have an unusually big load.
I've been wanting one of these for years. Any issues with yours, or completely smooth sailing?
No major issues. We needed to replace an impeller on one of the drawers, but it was a very simple repair. All-in-all it was a great purchase.
Topic Author
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

I'm thinking about picking up the Ascenta (again) or the 100. Anyone here have the 100? I was really happy with the Ascenta, outside of the dishes coming out wet or not fully dry all the time but that really wasn't a big deal. I'd prefer not to break the bank on this one and want to stay as far away from paying $1000 for a dishwasher as possible haha.

Do you guys think there will be deals with Black Friday approaching where I should maybe wait on it a bit?
Bogle7

Cove

Post by Bogle7 »

jplee3 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:46 am want to stay as far away from paying $1000 for a dishwasher as possible
If you buy nothing, then you will stay $1000 away.
If you buy a Cove 24" Dishwasher with Water Softener - Panel Ready Model # DW2450WS for $2,605, you will be $1605 away which is farther.
You logical choice is Cove as the top-of-the-line Miele only gets you $1599 away.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.