Our bed is shot!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Retired2

Our bed is shot!

Post by Retired2 »

We have a Sealy Queen Size mattress that is only two years old. It was great when new, but now there are deep depressions when we're in bed. Our average age is 70 and we're both waking up with sore backs.

It was a $1,000 mattress. I've started the warranty process, but my initial feeling is that they'll screw around for a while and then eventually deny any claim.

We need a new bed! This could be the last mattress we buy and I'm willing to spend as much as a good used car on it in order to get some lasting comfort.

My question is how in the world do I go about buying a new bed? I really don't want to go to Wally World and have a salesman who last week worked at Starbucks give me advice on what is good. The Sealy was great when it was new, but it certainly didn't last.

I thought of asking at luxury hotels, but I found out on the internet that Marriott uses Sealy, but Sealy was sold five years ago and the mattresses since then aren't any good. I guess my Sealy is post-sale.

There has to be an approach to this that I haven't thought of.

There have to be people our age who don't have sore backs.

R2
Faith20879

Re: Our bed is shot!

Post by Faith20879 »

Have you tried rotating it?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Costco.com.
https://www.costco.com/queen-mattresses ... word=Sealy

Search a Costco's bed that fit the description of your current Sealy's bed. They deliver and take away your old bed at no extra cost.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
sport

Post by sport »

We bought our last two mattresses from this company https://www.originalmattress.com/
The first one lasted about 20 years. We have had the present one about 3 years. We have been happy with them.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Don't know where you are but here in western Ma we have a local mattress manufacturer, Yankee Mattress. They have 4 stores, one being in the front of the building where they put them together. I don't imagine they are any better or worse then one made by Sealy or some such but when you go to the store the sales folks certainly know their stuff, at least at the store where they build them. I know there are these small manufacturers all over the country so it might be worth seeing if you have such.

We're just hitting 10 years on ours so according to the manufacturer we are due for a new one. I do not see a depression on it so I'll probably hold off. I'd say there is no depression on my side, at 215 lbs, but my wife that weighs half of me turns the mattress so the whole thing would have the issue.

We bought one of there better non memory foam mattresses, it was somewhere between 1k and 2k.
Regards | Bob
squirm

Post by squirm »

Why not go to a few mattress retailers and try them out?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have a sleep number bed. It doesn’t have a pillow top pad on top. I added a foam topper onto it last year. I find it comfy. T is about 10 yrs old. It also raises the head and foot of bed if desired.
trizzle

Post by trizzle »

Beauty rest black every ten years. Rotate once a year. Done. Continually amazed a people who try to cheap out on mattresses. You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping…. Best money I’ve spent and sleep like a baby every night.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

These are very well-crafted, organic mattresses by a family business.

I have been impressed by the knowledge of craft that the ordinary 'salesperson' had (who was a member of this family).

Over the past ten years I have bought 4 or 5 mattresses from them. I started with a twin for a guest room, but I was so impressed with it that I swapped out my own mattress as well, and then I even eventually swapped the mattress at my best friend's guest room :)

They have held up really well. My present mattress I've had for 5 years, and my son practically uses it as a trampoline and it's still in great shape.

I personally like it that they aren't sprayed with fire repellant, but I'll mention the fact in case you feel differently.

https://www.mygreenmattress.com/?gclid= ... qQQAvD_BwE
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Came here expecting a humblebrag...
stan1

Post by stan1 »

+1 on a local manufacturer if you want a traditional innerspring mattress

They don't make mattresses like they used to, but plenty of Americans weigh more than they did 30 years ago, too.
Bogle7

10 years’ life, max

Post by Bogle7 »

Retired2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pmOur average age is 70 and …This could be the last mattress we buy
So, your planned death age is 80?
Don’t be so pessimistic.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I would shop for one at Costco
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

We bought a Purple matress and really like it. It’s kind of like the waterbed we had in our 20’s without the water and sloshing!! My wife gets up multiple times during the night, and I never wake up. Give it a try.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Retired2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pm We have a Sealy Queen Size mattress that is only two years old. It was great when new, but now there are deep depressions when we're in bed. Our average age is 70 and we're both waking up with sore backs.

It was a $1,000 mattress. I've started the warranty process, but my initial feeling is that they'll screw around for a while and then eventually deny any claim.

We need a new bed! This could be the last mattress we buy and I'm willing to spend as much as a good used car on it in order to get some lasting comfort.

My question is how in the world do I go about buying a new bed? I really don't want to go to Wally World and have a salesman who last week worked at Starbucks give me advice on what is good. The Sealy was great when it was new, but it certainly didn't last.

I thought of asking at luxury hotels, but I found out on the internet that Marriott uses Sealy, but Sealy was sold five years ago and the mattresses since then aren't any good. I guess my Sealy is post-sale.

R2
I did a lot of research on mattresses a couple of years ago and wound up buying a natural latex mattress online from Arizona Premium Mattress, http://arizonamattress.com/

The mattress is great and is superior to foam and other types of mattresses.

I did research on The Mattress Underground, https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... ed-members

Most mattress websites are not objective but this one is and has a wealth of information although it takes a little effort to do your research.

Another site that was pretty good is Sleep Like the Dead, https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Initially I was hesitant to buy online but many online mattresses retailers have free return policies, which are much better than return policies in retail stores.

I am a long time Consumer Report subscriber, but I found their research on mattresses to be disappointing.

Best wishes.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

sport wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:48 pm We bought our last two mattresses from this company https://www.originalmattress.com/
The first one lasted about 20 years. We have had the present one about 3 years. We have been happy with them.
Next time, this is where I am going. I like the idea of an old fashioned spring mattress. I have a friend who is 70, large with big middle who got one last year and could not be happier.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 pm Came here expecting a humblebrag...
No kidding!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Retired2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pm There has to be an approach to this that I haven't thought of.
Sealy (like any mattress manufacturer) makes many mattress models. They aren't all the same, and price doesn't always equal performance.

Go to your local library, and find the most recent Consumer Reports magazine with mattress reviews. Pay careful attention to the specific model that is rated highest for the firmness you desire.

Prepare to pay a lot. Good sleep will be worth it.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I like a hard mattress that's just shy of sleeping on a sheet of plywood. My wife likes a super soft one that she sinks into and virtually disappears. We bought the cheapest Sleep Number and it's been perfect for about 5 years now. I dread traveling and sleeping on a traditional mattress.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

dandinsac wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:02 pm We bought a Purple matress and really like it. It’s kind of like the waterbed we had in our 20’s without the water and sloshing!! My wife gets up multiple times during the night, and I never wake up. Give it a try.
The Purple had a weird feel to me, I believe the design helps keep the mattress cool. I really wanted to like it! Bought a Nectar instead which I find to be very comfortable, however it does retain heat. Should be great this winter, summertime not so much.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

punkinhead wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am I like a hard mattress that's just shy of sleeping on a sheet of plywood. My wife likes a super soft one that she sinks into and virtually disappears. We bought the cheapest Sleep Number and it's been perfect for about 5 years now. I dread traveling and sleeping on a traditional mattress.
I joked with my SO that we could just buy a queen air mattress for $80 and adjust the amount of air inside. She failed to see the humor, maybe she didn’t want to encourage me.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

Second on the Sleep Number with an additional mattress pad. First one was still going strong when we upgraded to the one where we can adjust the feet and head up and down. Best part is the King is actually two separate “mattresses” so each person can adjust the firmness to their liking.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

In our mid-80s and just purchased a new Stearns & Foster pillowtop queen-size set. Was amazed at the pricing of bedding sets these days running from $2400 to $3400 per set for a better quality level. S&F does not allow discounting on their products. What really amazed me though was the weight of each piece in the set. The two of us can no longer handle the turning of the mattress easily. Even very hard to lift to change the sheets. Hell to get old, but then we are alive and in excellent health :!:
Tom D.
gobsmacked

Post by gobsmacked »

For a spring mattress I love the ikea ones. They are inexpensive but well built and if you go for a firm one will last many years.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

If you are adventurous, I would try some of the 'bed in a box' stores online. Buy a couple to start the clock running (you have to keep it for X days before you can return it) and try them out. If you don't like it, simply call and they will pick it up. When we did this, we chose two and slept on one for about a week and a half before we decided it wasn't for us. The second was a winner and we have had it for quite a few years now with no issues. YMMV.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I've kind of given up on spring mattresses. I've had two in a row that sagged--not atrociously, but enough to be annoying--after only a couple of years, both from respected local manufacturers. Meanwhile I had back trouble that led me to sleep on the floor for awhile, and I used the toppers from the guest bed--3" latex and a couple of 1" memory foam on top of that. And that was brilliant, and that's the effect I'm looking for in the next bed. In a bed thread here a few years ago, somebody mentioned they just used several latex toppers as their mattress, so that's the plan now after the annoyance with the current bed gets too much to bear.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I like the flip it idea.

We have a Sealy - we bought their fancy vibrating, adjustable bed with remote - posturepedic or whatever they call it (it is a foam mattress)- it was their high end from what I recall. Bought it back in 2011 - we love it. No issues. We did have one issue where the hydraulic control that lifts the front and back - stopped working - they sent out a repair person under warranty (it was pretty fast) and replaced the computer control board - and it has been fine since - that was like 8 years ago.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Casper original is the best mattress we’ve ever owned. And we’ve tried many.
OMYx3

Post by OMYx3 »

We bought a Saatva luxury firm a few months ago and love it so far.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

We bought a latex mattress from plush beds. We tried to copy the design for our guest room by buying different latex toppers and combining them into a 10 inch stack. Has worked well.

Supposedly a latex mattress can last 40-50 years without deforming.
Topic Author
Retired2

Post by Retired2 »

Wow! A lot of useful comments here.

First, to Faith: at one year I was uncomfortable and rotated the mattress. Now, a year later, the new orientation is very uncomfortable. I should have started looking into this a year ago.

I spent a lot of time on mattressunderground. com. That led me to a series of YouTube videos from Jeff Scheuer of Matt-to-go.com. He's gone over the construction of different mattresses.

His website has a program where you input your data and suggested mattresses come up.

I did that and came up with Therapedic MediCoil HD D 3000.

Does anyone on the board have comments on that mattress?

I went to the "delivery" tab on the matt-to-go website and it says "no orders to California or Connecticut". I'm in Northern California (wine-country)! There must be a story here, what's wrong with California?!

R2
hand

Post by hand »

I'm happy with my latex mattress. SleepEz was my preferred retailer with the benefit that you can buy individual Latex components (top, middle, bottom) and layer together as you like or supplement/replace an individual component if it doesn't meet your comfort standards.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

+1 for comments about looking at independent manufacturers. You'll get a better bed than the big name companies in general. Don't skimp on this critical investment. We have multiple chateau collection from stress-o-pedic and they are wonderful. 14+ years on our main bed right now.

https://stressopedic.com/
Whew-Only10MoreYears

Post by Whew-Only10MoreYears »

So we bought a "bed-in-a-box" from Brooklyn bedding back in March. Getting it upstairs to the bedroom was no easy feat! Its a gigantic carboard box that weights a ton so if you go that route keep it in mind.
Unfortunately my wife and I are starting to experience back pain now (I've got a sketchy back but she's never had trouble) and the mattress is extremely hot. I usually wake up with the covers pushed off and under just the sheet and I'm sort of clammy feeling. Oh one other thing - there is no edge support. So when you sit on the edge of the bed to put your socks on you sink almost all the way to the box spring and if you roll to the edge of the bed you feel like you are going to fall on the floor.
Recently called Brooklyn Bedding and they basically told me to go pound sand. So I'm out $750 and back to searching for another mattress.
Just wanted to pass on my experiences with the new bed-in-a-box.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

I can recommend getting a bed direct from Sleep Number. You adjust the bed to the firmness you like. Your partner can adjust his.

Works get for us. And the customer service sends someone out to set the whole thing upl.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I was looking for a bed as well, however, there’s so much marketing hyperbole that who knows what you can believe. In looking at the clinical research, the only thing I found was to avoid a memory foam mattress because it’s hard to turn around in, and to go with the foam bed since it’s supports you better than a spring mattress. I suspect that a foam mattress with a memory foam topper would provide the ultimate support. If anyone knows of any other clinical research that shows that you sleep better in one bed versus another, I’d like to hear about it.

What surprises me is how the prices run so high with no data to support a better sleep, only testimony from customers. For a $4000 mattress, I would expect there to be clinical evidence to show that you get a better sleep in it than your typical mattress. Without that kind of data, why would I pay a premium? I suspect there isn’t a measurable difference, that’s why there’s no clinical data to show it.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

We have a termpur-pedic mattress that we have had for over 10 years and love it. The mattress is still just as supportive as the day we bought it. It did take about a week to get used to the new mattress but after that no other bed is as comfortable to me.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

punkinhead wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am I like a hard mattress that's just shy of sleeping on a sheet of plywood. My wife likes a super soft one that she sinks into and virtually disappears. We bought the cheapest Sleep Number and it's been perfect for about 5 years now. I dread traveling and sleeping on a traditional mattress.
You should go to japan.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:53 pm
You should go to japan.
I have. My feet overhang the bed by a foot and the shower heads are at chest level.
Para45

Post by Para45 »

Denver mattress , Doctor's choice in firm . Invest the money you saved from others and sleep well. :wink:
chw

Post by chw »

DW and I bought a new split king (we also bought adjustable bases). We tried several different mattresses, but in the end, chose the Purple Hybrid. It is pricey, but is by far the best mattress I’ve ever slept on.
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

carolinaman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:37 am
Retired2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pm We have a Sealy Queen Size mattress that is only two years old. It was great when new, but now there are deep depressions when we're in bed. Our average age is 70 and we're both waking up with sore backs.

R2
I did a lot of research on mattresses a couple of years ago and wound up buying a natural latex mattress online from Arizona Premium Mattress, http://arizonamattress.com/

I did research on The Mattress Underground, https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... ed-members

Most mattress websites are not objective but this one is and has a wealth of information although it takes a little effort to do your research.

Another site that was pretty good is Sleep Like the Dead, https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Initially I was hesitant to buy online but many online mattresses retailers have free return policies, which are much better than return policies in retail stores.

I am a long time Consumer Report subscriber, but I found their research on mattresses to be disappointing.

Best wishes.
+1 on this. Spent a lot of time on sleeplikethedead.com and themattressunderground.com, and ended up getting a latex mattress about 7 years ago. No regrets.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Purdue wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 pm
carolinaman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:37 am

R2

Best wishes.
+1 on this. Spent a lot of time on sleeplikethedead.com and themattressunderground.com, and ended up getting a latex mattress about 7 years ago. No regrets.
+2. Arizona mattress and themattressunderground.
dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver »

This did it for us. Woke up with a back ache with our 10 year old inner spring. Could not wait to get out of bed in the morning. Checked out natural latex foam beds online. Love this queen from: https://www.latexforless.com/products/n ... x-mattress. Comes as a flip with one side medium and the other med-firm. If medium is too hard they will ship you a topper free. It's perfect for us. Check it out.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

Researching mattresses, I read that most mattresses today do not need to be flipped. But other sites said only certain mattresses are no flip. Are most mattresses today those that do not need to be flipped? I no longer have the strength to flip a queen size by myself, and have no young relatives to help, but I can rotate one by myself.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

R2
If it's sagging more than a certain point they have to honor the claim. I've done it once and it was a easy process. After the 2nd time it failed, I just trashed it and went to latex. It's more expensive but it is much more durable and long lasting.

I strongly suggest you go over to the https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... ed-members and learn. This forum was started years ago by a guy fed up with the BS and scams in the mattress industry. (There is a similar forum for carpet which probably has more scams than mattresses.) He was looking for honest reviews and quickly found they didn't exist. The sites were either affiliate links or outright owned by the manufacturer. The gentleman has since passed but his wife kept it going.

Going to the store and testing is never going to get you the right mattress. Never buy a mattress that doesn't provide some sort of a sleep trial. The longer the trial the better.

I just bought a split king latex set from these guys . Call them up and talk. https://www.mattresses.net/ They can customize comfort levels based on what you like and your body weight. Split - king provides the best fit as each partner can select what fits best. You also get a comfort exchange on the top layer.

This guy has good stuff if you prefer foam. http://richmondbedding.com/ Nearly the same as tempurpedic but 1/2 the cost. Foam just sleeps too hot for me.

Don't hesitate to look at at the various hotel collections from Marriott, Hilton, etc. They make good mattresses too.

Luma would have been my choice if I were going to buy a "bed in a box"

The one thing I never understand is that people will spend thousands upon thousands on couches, chairs, etc and then cheap out on an item that that we spend 1/3 of our lives on. I'm not saying that high cost = means quality
Topic Author
Retired2

Post by Retired2 »

We got a resolution!!!

I contacted the manufacturer who said to contact the retailer.

The retailer wanted many photos including one of the tag.

I went through the process and eventually got the response that my defect doesn't meet their criteria and my warranty claim is denied.

Deep down I was mad, but I kept it inside and went and had a glass of wine, actually two glasses.

One woman from the retailer had been writing me all of the emails. I emailed her and said that since she was in the mattress business, what advice could she give me.

Two days later I received an email that they were going to make a one-time exception and I could have a new mattress not over the cost of my existing mattress. Of course, my mattress was no longer made, but its replacement was the same price. All I would have to pay was for the white-glove delivery from what I assume was a contractor.

The truck arrived the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I paid $195 including tax and gave a $20 Thanksgiving tip to each member of the three-person crew.

We've now slept on it a week. It's comfortable and we're both waking up without backaches. So far, so good, although I note that the original mattress was great at the beginning, too.

I figure that I'm way ahead of where I was at the beginning of all this. It cost me $255 plus two glasses of wine, but it could have been far more expensive.

During the time I was sending in photographs I spent time on mattressunderground.com and took lots of notes. I really didn't come to any conclusions. I now know lots about mattress construction, but I don't know that I can apply any of it. It seems to be a lot like buying a car. Maybe I just got a lemon.

For now, I'm sleeping well and kicked the can down the road.

R2
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

This is very interesting to me, as I have a Sealy that I also believe is not living up to the warranty. Have not yet submitted a claim, primarily because I expect the claim will be denied. Thanks for sharing your experience!
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

sport wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:48 pm We bought our last two mattresses from this company https://www.originalmattress.com/
+1 All of the mattresses in our home purchased the last 25 years have come from there.